Sammy's 2011 Party and Off-Season Thread - Page 6 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 28th, 2011, 06:31 AM   #76
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sammy's 2011 Party and Off-Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodoropen View Post
Thanks for the welcome, fellow Canadian (Siderophyre) and SilverPersian!

Here’s the pic I was referring to – Sam looks like she’s crying. It’s too much – I have to include a permagrin one from her USO win to offset it.
I don't find the sad-faced one from RG as hard to bear as this one, where she's trying so hard to put on a brave face. Heartbreaking
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GYI0060646032_crop_450x500.jpg (46.3 KB, 17 views)
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 28th, 2011, 07:27 AM   #77
country flag tennisforadults

tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute

4 Aussie players are nominated for this year's Newcombe Medal rewarding the best Australian player of the year... but we all know who's going to win it.
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 07:41 AM   #78

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisforadults View Post
4 Aussie players are nominated for this year's Newcombe Medal rewarding the best Australian player of the year... but we all know who's going to win it.
Yes, no offense to Jarka, Bernie and Matthew, but there's no way Sam's not winning this. Last year Newk was less than gushing in his praise for Sam, I reckon he'll be more enthusiastic this year.
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 01:23 PM   #79
country flag Huntress55

Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
Yes, no offense to Jarka, Bernie and Matthew, but there's no way Sam's not winning this. Last year Newk was less than gushing in his praise for Sam, I reckon he'll be more enthusiastic this year.
Yeah Sam winning the USO has got this medal for her. If she hadnt won the USO I think it would have gone to Bernie, but Sam should pick this up two years in a row
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 04:56 PM   #80
country flag Siderophyre

Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Yep. I hope to see her winning that for the forseeable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodoropen View Post
Thanks for the welcome, fellow Canadian (Siderophyre) and SilverPersian!

Here’s the pic I was referring to – Sam looks like she’s crying. It’s too much – I have to include a permagrin one from her USO win to offset it.
Jesus that RG pic is just too sad. But luckily the USO one more than offsets it. Let's face it, the USO is a far more impressive first GS title for Sam than RG. If she was going to win one, most people would have said RG simply because it supposedly it suits her game. USO is a far bigger validation. If she happens to win RG subsequently, all the better.

It's later than you think...
Siderophyre is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #81
country flag tennisforadults

tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siderophyre View Post
Jesus that RG pic is just too sad. But luckily the USO one more than offsets it. Let's face it, the USO is a far more impressive first GS title for Sam than RG. If she was going to win one, most people would have said RG simply because it supposedly it suits her game. USO is a far bigger validation. If she happens to win RG subsequently, all the better.
This is by no means belittling the USO win, but I think it would have been a more impressive title run if Sam had won RG 2010. She beat the dominating clay player of her generation Henin, arguably the best player of her generation Serena, former world no. 1 Jankovic in consecutive matches to reach the final. She came through the toughest draw of that tournament. By comparison, she had more luck with her draw at the USO.

But I agree with USO being a bigger validation. A year ago if someone had gone into GM proclaiming that Sam could win a hardcourt grand slam, it would have been met with endless spit and lols. Now they all have to shut up.
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 09:32 PM   #82
country flag Siderophyre

Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future

Quote:
This is by no means belittling the USO win, but I think it would have been a more impressive title run if Sam had won RG 2010. She beat the dominating clay player of her generation Henin, arguably the best player of her generation Serena, former world no. 1 Jankovic in consecutive matches to reach the final. She came through the toughest draw of that tournament. By comparison, she had more luck with her draw at the USO.

But I agree with USO being a bigger validation. A year ago if someone had gone into GM proclaiming that Sam could win a hardcourt grand slam, it would have been met with endless spit and lols. Now they all have to shut up.
Yes you are right - RG was definitely a tougher draw and a more impressive run (although I would say Justine was past her best and Serena was on her worst surface). God knows I wish she had won it! It's just that RG seems to have had more 'flukey' winners over the years than any other slam. And those winners don't seem to get much respect. USO and Wimbledon are quite different animals. And hey, she could still get her RG title!

It's later than you think...
Siderophyre is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 02:21 AM   #83
country flag SilverPersian

SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute

No more of the sad Sam pictures guys

Sam is starting next year playing Brisbane, Sydney and AO. I hope that she can have a good run at at least one of the lead up tournaments. No Pennetta or (non UEing) Gajdosova in the first two rounds please.
Stanislas Wawrinka|Ryan Harrison|Andy Murray

SilverPersian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 02:25 AM   #84

SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Newk's just bitter because he predicted that Sammy would win Wimbledon, which has turned out to almost be her worst tournament in the entire calendar

Old Dec 1st, 2011, 06:24 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPersian View Post
No more of the sad Sam pictures guys

Sam is starting next year playing Brisbane, Sydney and AO. I hope that she can have a good run at at least one of the lead up tournaments. No Pennetta or (non UEing) Gajdosova in the first two rounds please.
With Jarka playing Hopman Cup and defending her title in Hobart and Flavia playing in Auckland, the only chance of meeting either of them before the AO would be Flavia in Sydney. I'm pretty sure that Sam can beat Flavia now should she meet her, and Jarka as well I think. If she could notch up an early win win against either of those two that should give her confidence in the later rounds of the AO.
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 06:27 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPersian View Post
Newk's just bitter because he predicted that Sammy would win Wimbledon, which has turned out to almost be her worst tournament in the entire calendar
Just between us, I don't have a lot of time for Newk. I wish it was called the Goolagong Medal or Laver Medal (or any one of the dozen or so Aussie legends who are much more likeable than Newk). That would be more fitting for Sam. That said, I often catch myself dreaming that Sam wins Wimbledon as well. I really don't think it's an impossibility for her. If she can actually get past the third round for once she could go deep I think.

Last edited by stromatolite : Dec 1st, 2011 at 06:33 AM.
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 08:12 AM   #87
country flag Huntress55

Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Just between us, I don't have a lot of time for Newk. I wish it was called the Goolagong Medal or Laver Medal (or any one of the dozen or so Aussie legends who are much more likeable than Newk). That would be more fitting for Sam. That said, I often catch myself dreaming that Sam wins Wimbledon as well. I really don't think it's an impossibility for her. If she can actually get past the third round for once she could go deep I think.
Im really hoping for a good showing at Wimby next year. I thought this year she could have a good run but given the form and how low her confidence probably was its not too surprising. I guess it depends on how she starts this year and her draw.

Im hoping she starts this year with a win in Brisbane Although there is alot of tough competition there.
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 08:27 AM   #88

I think she's definitely capable of having a good Wimby run this year. She hasn't reachdd three consecutive Esstbourne semis through luck. I like to think she's saving up all of her Wimby wins so that she can cash in seven wins in a row one year.

The fact that people don't expect much from her on grass might also help.

Old Dec 1st, 2011, 08:56 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntress55 View Post
Im really hoping for a good showing at Wimby next year. I thought this year she could have a good run but given the form and how low her confidence probably was its not too surprising. I guess it depends on how she starts this year and her draw.

Im hoping she starts this year with a win in Brisbane Although there is alot of tough competition there.
A good run in Brisbane could really kick-start her year for her. It's a tough field, but right now I don't think there's anyone Sam would be too worried about facing. Her big problem in the past has been that she's lost early to low-ranked players and so hasn't been around to play the big guns in the final rounds. Interesting stat: in the last three years whenever Sam reached at least the 4th round in a slam she has lost to the eventual winner or not at all. The bad news is that she only reached the 4th round 5 times in those 3 years. For someone as good as Sam that's not good enough.
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 09:29 AM   #90
country flag Huntress55

Out of all players in Brisbane Id be most worried about Serena. I still dont think Masha will be 100%, physically maybe but something tells me she wont be her best. Who knows with Kim, Im not even going to speculate what form she will be in. Ana, well shes very hit or miss. Players like Petko and Lucie will be in Brisbane too, both very capable of playing good tennis. I mean Sam can beat any of these players if shes playing well, if she can get into good form early it'll be a perfect tournament to test herself.

Serena... she's had more time to rest that foot, and she'll be out for blood after USO. So if Sam and Serena meet in Brisbane, it will be interesting. In saying that we all know who the crowd will be cheering for this time.