Sammy's 2011 Party and Off-Season Thread - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 13th, 2011, 06:53 PM   #61
country flag bertisonline

bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of
Re: Sammy's 2011 Party and Off-Season Thread

1) What was Sam's best win of the year?
Vs. Sharapova (YEC) or Vs. Williams (USO). She won Vs. Williams several times: which was not the case Vs. Sharapova. I would not mention Williams if it was not the USO finale.

2) What was Sam's worst loss of the year
Vs. Czink (Wimbledon) or Vs. Dulko (RG). She explained she was surprised. I guess it won't happen next year.

3) What fictional character does Sam remind you of?
No one, she is unique

4) If you had to describe Sam's year in the form of a song, which song would it be?
"The Times They Are A-Changin'" (Bob Dylan)

5) What was Sam's most under-rated win of the year?
Vs. Kerber (USO - semi finale. An extraordinary opponent. And leading her to the ultimate trophy.

6) Which of Sam's losses were you most impressed with?
Vs. Kvitova (YEC, not AO)

7) What part of Sam's game has improved most throughout the year?
Her mental force, by far. And her BH, under huge pressure.

8) What would you like to see Sam work on in the future?
Her weight. her leg muscles are not optimal right now. She can gain more foot speed.

9) What's the one match you wish Sam had won, that she didn't?
Vs. Sabine (Stanford).

10) What do you predict in 2012 for Sam (ranking, tournaments, H2Hs with particular players etc.)?
I think she is close to be number one, but will probably win her second GS trophy before.
I would say: WW#2 (or 3) / Roland Garros finale / Will defeat Kvitova, and maybe Azarenka: during 2012.
bertisonline is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 13th, 2011, 09:13 PM   #62
country flag Siderophyre

Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertisonline View Post

8) What would you like to see Sam work on in the future?
Her weight. her leg muscles are not optimal right now. She can gain more foot speed.
Interesting. One of the Eurosport commentators (either Sam Smith or Jo Durie) said she thought that Sam's upper body was not in proportion to her legs - i.e. legs much less strong. As a result she is not as fast as she could be, and doesn't get enough leg power into her serve. According to the commie her serve could be even more devastating if she got her legs into it more. Not sure I agree, because that might involve screwing around with her service motion, which rarely pays dividends at this stage in the career.

However, she did say Sam has improved her footspeed a great deal, which I think we've all noticed in her improved defensive game. Apparently she used to be one of the slowest players they tested at a sports institute in Australia - now she is the fastest. She's still not that fast compared with some others on the WTA though. Don't think she'll ever be a sprinter!

It's later than you think...
Siderophyre is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 07:26 AM   #63
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siderophyre View Post
Interesting. One of the Eurosport commentators (either Sam Smith or Jo Durie) said she thought that Sam's upper body was not in proportion to her legs - i.e. legs much less strong. As a result she is not as fast as she could be, and doesn't get enough leg power into her serve. According to the commie her serve could be even more devastating if she got her legs into it more. Not sure I agree, because that might involve screwing around with her service motion, which rarely pays dividends at this stage in the career.

However, she did say Sam has improved her footspeed a great deal, which I think we've all noticed in her improved defensive game. Apparently she used to be one of the slowest players they tested at a sports institute in Australia - now she is the fastest. She's still not that fast compared with some others on the WTA though. Don't think she'll ever be a sprinter!
I agree with this, and don't think there's all that much to be gained now from increased speed per se. As you said she's already a lot faster than she used to be. I think she has changed her tactics as well, standing a little further behind the baseline than she used to, which in combination with her increased speed means she's not caught out of position nearly as often as she used to be. I think she'll mainly focus now on fine-tuning her tactical game. She's still vulnerable to players like Azarenka and Bartoli who hit a very low-bouncing ball, so will need to try to find a way of countering the problems that gives her. I would guess that the best way of doing that is to be more aggressive, making it more difficult for players like that to slip into a groove. That was what she did against Vika in the very last game in Istanbul, but it was too little too late.
stromatolite is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 09:09 AM   #64
country flag SilverPersian

SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute

I just watched the highlights of Sammy's FO final for the first time.

I had completely wiped it from my brain that she had had a 4-1 lead in the second set.
Stanislas Wawrinka|Ryan Harrison|Andy Murray

SilverPersian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 10:16 AM   #65

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

^I only watched it recently as well (was too traumatized to watch it sooner). Seeing her lose it after looking like she had the second set under control was hard to take for sure. It was some consolation to see how great Fran played to beat her, but even then I had the feeling Sam should have been able to find a way to win it. I don't think she choked. If anything I think she took the match too lightly, and was surprised by the quality of Fran's play and by her tactics. Considering the players she had beat to reach the final I suppose that's understandable, but it's a mistake you can only forgive someone playing their first slam final. Current day Sam would have been better prepared. Hopefully she'll get another shot at it.
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 10:37 AM   #66

SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute

I was also too traumatised to watch it sooner. I initially had almost that exact comment in my post, but I deleted it because I thought it sounded a little sad

I agree with your assessment. Although the highlights reel isn't always a good indication about the nature of a match, it seemed like Sam was playing quite well. She was a little lacking in confidence with her backhand, and her return of serve wasn't the greatest, but in general everything was working ok. She just seemed a little bit underprepared mentally. I think there was a discussion about her match against Azarenka at YEC the other day, where people were saying that she hadn't had the time after the Sharapova win to reboot and refocus; I feel like something similar to that was true in the French Open final; it was like she wasn't prepared for a tough fight.

But Franny had a real winners...um...aura (?) about her that day. She seemed to have both the crowd and fate on her side. (I don't believe in aura or fate but I can't think of a better way of putting it).

Old Nov 27th, 2011, 11:14 AM   #67

As you said, Sam was playing pretty well in the RG final, but Fran's tactics prevented her from really dominating like she probably expected to. I remember at the time watching with a sickening feeling of "this isn't happening, Sam's supposed to win this match". I think Sam was thinking much the same thing, because towards the end she looked increasingly desperate, which is why she wasn't playing with anything like the same conviction she showed in her earlier matches (actually for the whole clay season). Good point about the aura thing. Doesn't matter that it's not real, as soon as Fran started that whole court-kissing thing (not sure in which round that was) I think she started to convince herself that it was her destiny to win the title.

I agree with you that she looked a bit underprepared for her match against Vika at the YEC as well, but in a different way I think. In that match she didn't play well at all (except for the very last game). She was fluffing what should have been easy shots and was really never in the match at all. In contrast to her match against Fran, I think she knew pretty much exactly what to expect from Vika, so I don't think she could have been surprised by the way she played. She just never got her A-game firing. The result was similar though, because in both matches she allowed herself to get very indecisive. I think a lot of her recent success has been down to going into matches with a well thought out game plan (for which Dave deserves a lot of the credit I'm sure) and sticking to that plan even when things looked to be going awry (her aggressive serving against Petra was a good example of that). For some reason she didn't do that against Vika.
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 12:37 PM   #68
country flag Siderophyre

Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future

You guys are braver than me - I'm still too traumatized to watch it!

Old Nov 27th, 2011, 05:08 PM   #69
country flag Theodoropen

Theodoropen is a splendid one to behold Theodoropen is a splendid one to behold Theodoropen is a splendid one to behold Theodoropen is a splendid one to behold Theodoropen is a splendid one to behold Theodoropen is a splendid one to behold Theodoropen is a splendid one to behold Theodoropen is a splendid one to behold Theodoropen is a splendid one to behold Theodoropen is a splendid one to behold Theodoropen is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
You and me both! I haven’t been able to bring myself to watch it. My heart breaks whenever I accidentally come across that photo, you know the one – the one where she’s holding the runner’s up plate, looking down and so dejected.

I have to agree with both Stromatolite and SilverPersian – I think that Sam played very well that day, only she brought her B+ game rather than her A game. I get somewhat irked when people suggest that it was simply a matter of Sam choking that match away. That wasn’t the case at all IMO. Fran was superhuman that day. As SilverPersian stated, fate appeared to say that it was Fran’s time. Similarly, The USO was Sam’s time. I reckon that she’ll get another chance at RG – and really give’r (sorry for the Canadianism, but it’s so apt).

This is my first post on the Smash ‘em, Sam forum – I hope I’m not rudely inviting myself into your group. I don’t wish to be an interloper! I need a place to freely gush about Sam and I figured this might be a friendly and cosy place for her fans – the General Messages forum can be so and
Theodoropen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodoropen View Post
You and me both! I haven’t been able to bring myself to watch it. My heart breaks whenever I accidentally come across that photo, you know the one – the one where she’s holding the runner’s up plate, looking down and so dejected.

I have to agree with both Stromatolite and SilverPersian – I think that Sam played very well that day, only she brought her B+ game rather than her A game. I get somewhat irked when people suggest that it was simply a matter of Sam choking that match away. That wasn’t the case at all IMO. Fran was superhuman that day. As SilverPersian stated, fate appeared to say that it was Fran’s time. Similarly, The USO was Sam’s time. I reckon that she’ll get another chance at RG – and really give’r (sorry for the Canadianism, but it’s so apt).

This is my first post on the Smash ‘em, Sam forum – I hope I’m not rudely inviting myself into your group. I don’t wish to be an interloper! I need a place to freely gush about Sam and I figured this might be a friendly and cosy place for her fans – the General Messages forum can be so and
Well I invited myself here just a few months ago without thinking to ask the group if that was okay, so I might not be the right person to say you're welcome here, but as far as I'm concerned you've well and truly proved your credentials as a fan of Sam. And I know exactly what you mean about this being a safe haven away from GM, things can get seriously nasty over there.
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 07:40 PM   #71
country flag Theodoropen

Theodoropen is a splendid one to behold Theodoropen is a splendid one to behold Theodoropen is a splendid one to behold Theodoropen is a splendid one to behold Theodoropen is a splendid one to behold Theodoropen is a splendid one to behold Theodoropen is a splendid one to behold Theodoropen is a splendid one to behold Theodoropen is a splendid one to behold Theodoropen is a splendid one to behold Theodoropen is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
Well I invited myself here just a few months ago without thinking to ask the group if that was okay, so I might not be the right person to say you're welcome here, but as far as I'm concerned you've well and truly proved your credentials as a fan of Sam. And I know exactly what you mean about this being a safe haven away from GM, things can get seriously nasty over there.
Huge thanks, Stromatolite. I promise to behave myself!
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 07:42 PM   #72
country flag Siderophyre

Quote:

Welcome fellow Canadian!

Old Nov 27th, 2011, 10:05 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
As you said, Sam was playing pretty well in the RG final, but Fran's tactics prevented her from really dominating like she probably expected to. I remember at the time watching with a sickening feeling of "this isn't happening, Sam's supposed to win this match". I think Sam was thinking much the same thing, because towards the end she looked increasingly desperate, which is why she wasn't playing with anything like the same conviction she showed in her earlier matches (actually for the whole clay season). Good point about the aura thing. Doesn't matter that it's not real, as soon as Fran started that whole court-kissing thing (not sure in which round that was) I think she started to convince herself that it was her destiny to win the title.
Yes, this is exactly right. Franny imagined fate into existence. I had forgotten about the court-kissing after all of her matches, but she was clearly high on something during RG that year (...in a good non-drug way).

I had that sickened, sinking feeling as well, which for some reason I associate with a dripping tap. It just wasn't happening for her that day. And in some ways the fact that she was playing well made it worse, because it was difficult to see how she was going to turn it around - particular after losing her 4-1 lead.

Quote:
It's not so bad. More than anything, it's made me even more proud of her USO triumph

Quote:

I haven't seen that photo - but I'm going to hunt for it on google now. I hate it when people describe the final as a choke as well. Firstly because it implies the match was entirely in Sam's hands (which it wasn't); and secondly because it implies that all Franny had to do was turn up, when she actually played about as well as I've ever seen her play.

And welcome to the forum. Don't worry, you don't need an official card to gain entry or anything

Old Nov 27th, 2011, 11:44 PM   #74
country flag Theodoropen

Thanks for the welcome, fellow Canadian (Siderophyre) and SilverPersian!

Here’s the pic I was referring to – Sam looks like she’s crying. It’s too much – I have to include a permagrin one from her USO win to offset it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 995517-pn-image-sport-samantha-sam-stosur.jpg (20.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Stosur_F_US_Open_2011.jpg (58.1 KB, 9 views)
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 02:03 AM   #75
country flag Huntress55

Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future

Welcome to the forum!

Those pics I still cant watch the FO final. I just cant bring myself to do it. Id just rather watch the USO over and over and over again.