OMG.. Could it be.. - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 12:14 AM   #1
venusfan

venusfan has much to be proud of venusfan has much to be proud of venusfan has much to be proud of venusfan has much to be proud of venusfan has much to be proud of venusfan has much to be proud of venusfan has much to be proud of venusfan has much to be proud of venusfan has much to be proud of venusfan has much to be proud of venusfan has much to be proud of
OMG.. Could it be..

A crowd in the USA was actually pulling for Serena.. I've never heard souch loud applause for a Williams since Venus defeated Hingis at 1998 Lipton.. Or it could be that at least 40% of the people in the stands were black...
"I told her, `You don't want to get into a hitting battle with Sharapova, because it would be uneven for Sharapova, because Sharapova only has one good side and that's her backhand,"'. "`You don't want to get into that for the simple reason you would win. So try to hit some balls to her strong side, to her backhand, and that would help you with your match for tomorrow

Sir Richard Williams
venusfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 12:16 AM   #2
country flag Robbie.

Robbie. has a brilliant future Robbie. has a brilliant future Robbie. has a brilliant future Robbie. has a brilliant future Robbie. has a brilliant future Robbie. has a brilliant future Robbie. has a brilliant future Robbie. has a brilliant future Robbie. has a brilliant future Robbie. has a brilliant future Robbie. has a brilliant future
Does everything have to have a rascist slant? Just bask in serena's terrific win and drop the conspiracy theories.
Robbie. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2002, 12:23 AM   #3
Freewoman33

Freewoman33 is a name known to all Freewoman33 is a name known to all Freewoman33 is a name known to all Freewoman33 is a name known to all Freewoman33 is a name known to all Freewoman33 is a name known to all Freewoman33 is a name known to all Freewoman33 is a name known to all Freewoman33 is a name known to all Freewoman33 is a name known to all Freewoman33 is a name known to all
Venusfan, there was a ton of black people there. Serena got much love from the brothers and sisters.
Freewoman33 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2002, 12:34 AM   #4
country flag PhoenixStorm

PhoenixStorm is a name known to all PhoenixStorm is a name known to all PhoenixStorm is a name known to all PhoenixStorm is a name known to all PhoenixStorm is a name known to all PhoenixStorm is a name known to all PhoenixStorm is a name known to all PhoenixStorm is a name known to all PhoenixStorm is a name known to all PhoenixStorm is a name known to all PhoenixStorm is a name known to all
see this whole racial thing is just pointless. Why? Because if you say the fans dont cheer for venus and serena because they are black someone else can easily say no we cheer for player whoever because they are white.

so if the fans are cheering jen because she is white, just an example not saying this is true, then what is the difference if other fans are cheering venus and serena because they aer black?

There is no difference. People can cheer for whoever they want to why does everyone care so much when the sisters and every other player could care less. Yes its nice to get cheers but you dont need it and to become addicted to fan support could cost you matches when it disappears.
PhoenixStorm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2002, 01:13 AM   #5
Freewoman33

Freewoman33 is a name known to all Freewoman33 is a name known to all Freewoman33 is a name known to all Freewoman33 is a name known to all Freewoman33 is a name known to all Freewoman33 is a name known to all Freewoman33 is a name known to all Freewoman33 is a name known to all Freewoman33 is a name known to all Freewoman33 is a name known to all Freewoman33 is a name known to all
Rarely, if ever, have I seen a predominately white crowd cheer more for Venus or Serena over their white opponents, not even before Indian Wells, and not even against foreigners. My opinion is based on observation.

I do not think that Venus and Serena care about crowd support, they have learned to play without the crowd support. This is just something I have noticed over the years. If you have the Wimbledon 2000 finals with Venus and Lindsay, look at it. Venus was the underdog, and she was going for her first GS title, but they did not cheer for her as they did for Justine during the 2001 finals. This is just one of many instances that I have noticed.
Freewoman33 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2002, 01:40 AM   #6
Rene

Rene is an unknown quantity at this point
interesting topic, i am black but i cheer mainly by a white player. i like the players not because her color but because her game. I don't like too much Venus or Serena but i do like Chanda, i like Martina but i don't like Lindsay, i like Clarissa Fernandez, but not Paola Suarez. and my preferences are based in tennis taste and in a personal preference to some players over the rest, not cause racial aspects.

Last edited by Rene : Nov 11th, 2002 at 01:47 AM.
Rene is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2002, 01:45 AM   #7
country flag 2284

2284 is just really nice 2284 is just really nice 2284 is just really nice 2284 is just really nice 2284 is just really nice 2284 is just really nice 2284 is just really nice 2284 is just really nice 2284 is just really nice 2284 is just really nice 2284 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Freewoman33
Rarely, if ever, have I seen a predominately white crowd cheer more for Venus or Serena over their white opponents, not even before Indian Wells, and not even against foreigners. My opinion is based on observation.
It's so wierd that they don't have better support in their own country. They are quite popular in Australia...Serena in particular...and not just since she has been #1.
2284 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2002, 04:14 AM   #8
Pureracket

Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute
No, it's not about race UNTIL the word "black" is mentioned.

If an Hispanic poster would have made the same comment: "Maybe Mary Jo Fernandez is so popular in Los Angeles is because of the Hispanic population," then that would not have been a problem at all.

The Asians are ecstatic of Paradorn Schrichapan, and I promise you that neither the Asian fans nor the Asian posters will get as much flack about cheering for or the mentioning of "race".

OFFICIAL BLACKSMITH OF THE ROYAL COURT

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public!
Pureracket is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2002, 04:58 AM   #9
franny

franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute
jennifer actually got more applause because i feel like she was the underdog, of course, this is serena's hometown so she would have and should have gotten more support. In the first set, they were totally behind capriati, in the second, they wanted serena to win a set so they pulled behind her, and in the third, they were cheering off the good points rather than actually wanting serena to win it. And i really think theres something going on wit the netcords, seriously, did they bring this net straight from compton or something?
no i am not talking about a racket or a squirrel, i am talking about the former and future number 1..............
martina hingis!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck Justine Henin Hardenne, Venus Williams, Maria Sharapova, Mary Pierce, and any of my other favorites that I might have forgotten about at this moment.
franny is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote