Miss USA vs "online feminism" - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 10th, 2014, 02:13 PM   #1
country flag wayitis

wayitis has a reputation beyond repute wayitis has a reputation beyond repute wayitis has a reputation beyond repute wayitis has a reputation beyond repute wayitis has a reputation beyond repute wayitis has a reputation beyond repute wayitis has a reputation beyond repute wayitis has a reputation beyond repute wayitis has a reputation beyond repute wayitis has a reputation beyond repute wayitis has a reputation beyond repute
Miss USA vs "online feminism"

The winner of this year's Miss USA pageant has sparked outrage for advocating self-defence as a solution to sexual assault.
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-27769747

Beauty pageant contestants being attacked by feminists is nothing new. That may be one reason that these days, along with modelling various outfits, pageant competitors are quizzed about women's issues.

At this year's Miss USA contest on Sunday, Miss Nevada, Nia Sanchez, was asked a tricky question.

One of the judges of the competition, Rumer Willis, the daughter of US actor Bruce Willis, asked: "Recently Time Magazine said 19% of US undergraduate women are victims of sexual assault in college. Why has such a horrific epidemic been swept under the rug for so long and what can colleges do to combat this?"

Miss Nevada, 24, responded: "I believe that some colleges may potentially be afraid of having a bad reputation and that would be a reason it could be swept under the rug, because they don’t want that to come out into the public. But I think more awareness is very important so women can learn how to protect themselves. Myself, as a fourth-degree black belt, I learned from a young age that you need to be confident and be able to defend yourself. And I think that’s something that we should start to really implement for a lot of women.”

The critical tweets began before the competition had even ended. "I'm sorry Nevada just lost my support. We should teach women self-defense to prevent sex crimes?" tweeted Maggie Miller. "Uh, how about we teach men not to rape."

One of the most shared tweets came from Elisa Benson of Cosmopolitan magazine: "I get that the college sexual assault problem can't be solved in 30 secs but still icky to pretend like self defense is the answer." Before long, the feminist hashtag #YesAllWomen was brought into the discussion. Safia Sallis-William, a mother of two in Kentucky tweeted: "Sad the new #MissUSA thinks that it's more important to teach women not to be raped than teach men not to rape them. #YesAllWomen." Other reactions:

"Miss Iowa says today's youth are narcissistic followed by Miss Nevada who wants to end rape with self defense classes Really? Sick #MissUSA"

"Miss Nevada might be gorgeous, but needs to realize teaching self defense to women isn't the solution for ending sexual assault #YesAllWomen"

"Women shouldn't need to learn to protect themselves against rape #missnevada educate and respect yourself as a woman #rapeculture"

Sanchez went on to win the competition - the world will meet her again at the Miss Universe pageant. But did her remark deserve such outrage?
wayitis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 10th, 2014, 02:19 PM   #2
country flag Sammo

Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Miss USA vs "online feminism"

People are retarded.

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live."
Sammo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 02:25 PM   #3
country flag wayitis

wayitis has a reputation beyond repute wayitis has a reputation beyond repute wayitis has a reputation beyond repute wayitis has a reputation beyond repute wayitis has a reputation beyond repute wayitis has a reputation beyond repute wayitis has a reputation beyond repute wayitis has a reputation beyond repute wayitis has a reputation beyond repute wayitis has a reputation beyond repute wayitis has a reputation beyond repute

I can see both points here, it's really an issue that will not be solved easily and to expect someone to have the right answer and solution while under those circumstances, is to be unfair and naive. Nia could have added that Colleges and Universities should beef up security, education and counseling, but due to her own particular experience as a black belt, the more pro-active mean of self-defence came to her mind more naturally. What I do have an issue with though, is the way the Press is so quick to label all the discontent feedbackers as "feminists", and trying to shed a negative light over all the reaction. Some more conservative Media are even calling them "leftist liberals", painting them with the old stereotype of the "feminist" being an angry, ugly person...
wayitis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 03:10 PM   #4
country flag Bismarck.

Bismarck. has a reputation beyond repute Bismarck. has a reputation beyond repute Bismarck. has a reputation beyond repute Bismarck. has a reputation beyond repute Bismarck. has a reputation beyond repute Bismarck. has a reputation beyond repute Bismarck. has a reputation beyond repute Bismarck. has a reputation beyond repute Bismarck. has a reputation beyond repute Bismarck. has a reputation beyond repute Bismarck. has a reputation beyond repute

1) Men already know not to rape. The ones that think it is permissible could do with having the shit kicked out of them.

2) Those twitter users need to get real. You can educate all you like, but rape will still exist and it will still be widespread. Making self-defense classes more widespread could have a more positive effect, so why not try it out more?

3) It's very anti-feminist to rabidly go after one woman for having an opinion, one that isn't even bad in the first place.

This whole brand of Gender Studies 101/Jezebel feminism that exists on Twitter is such idealistic, reactionary bullshit, and from an outside perspective it seems like they don't actually care about how to improve the lives of women on the whole, they just like to play the victim and whine about it. Flame away.
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 03:27 PM   #5
country flag Potato

Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure she wasn't thinking about the most socially "correct" answer, she's under a lot of pressure and probably this was probably the first answer that she came up with, it's personal to her and honestly not wrong. Both sides of the fence should be covered.
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 04:35 PM   #6
country flag fufuqifuqishahah

fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute

God 30seconds whereas these people have all day to slam people on twitter.

On the actual issue, why not teach both? or perhaps even better, teach people how to connect and communicate better

Grand Slam [oJankyoNutcrackeroAnaresoVeeo]
Come Baaaack [oShinoboooMarie!oThe Original Russian Bombshello]
Wake Up! [oNastyaoThe Slovak SpideroFrannyoMomooVaniaoJellyDee!o]

fufuqifuqishahah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 05:08 PM   #7
country flag Monzanator
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute

These pageants are all about politics these days

But above all teaching men not to rape is a futile case. It's like trying to get rid of murder and theft too. Good luck with that for all those "politicaly correct" brain masters
TT: Winner - (Singles) Tashkent 2012; (Doubles) - (w/Broseghini) Cuneo 100k '10; (w/Peek-A-Boo) Contrexeville 50k '10; (w/JustPetko) Nantes 50k '10, Bucharest 75k '10, Marbella '11, Washington '11, Linz '11, Istanbul YEC '11, Opole 25K '11, Pattaya City '12, Tashkent '12, Pune 125k '12, Memphis '13, Carlsbad '13, Marrakech '14
Monzanator is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 05:16 PM   #8
country flag KournikovaFan91
*Sesil*

KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute

In pageant terms that was a great answer to such a loaded question, she addressed awareness and also dealt with empowering women. I'm honestly fed up of some feminists on social media making out like every guy aged 18-23 is going around college raping left, right and centre. There was no woman blaming here from Nia, she simply pointed out self-defense classes would be a good idea she never said that men should just be given a pass to go around raping. She also only has 30 seconds to answer that question.
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 05:46 PM   #9
country flag wild.river

wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute

poor girl. i agree with her answer. some men can't be taught not to rape because they're sociopaths. women should learn self-defense.
wild.river is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 06:02 PM   #10
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

I beleive she schedule to appear with Sean Hannity on FAUXNews.

Expect this subject to get more time, this will be a chance for Hannity to bash feminism.
I wouldn't be suprised if Rush Limgbaugh seizes on this as well, to renew a battle with an old foe: feminisn, which he call feminazi.

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 11. 2013
Next Update Date: Post 2014 RG
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 07:52 PM   #11
country flag HippityHop

HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck. View Post
1) Men already know not to rape. The ones that think it is permissible could do with having the shit kicked out of them.

2) Those twitter users need to get real. You can educate all you like, but rape will still exist and it will still be widespread. Making self-defense classes more widespread could have a more positive effect, so why not try it out more?

3) It's very anti-feminist to rabidly go after one woman for having an opinion, one that isn't even bad in the first place.

This whole brand of Gender Studies 101/Jezebel feminism that exists on Twitter is such idealistic, reactionary bullshit, and from an outside perspective it seems like they don't actually care about how to improve the lives of women on the whole, they just like to play the victim and whine about it. Flame away.
I hope you know they gon' tear you a new one.

"Oh it's Tommy this and Tommy that and chuck him out, the brute.
But it's savior of his country when the guns begin to shoot."
Rudyard Kipling
HippityHop is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 07:55 PM   #12
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have a problem with her response. However, self-defense does not always work, sometimes the attempt can lead to more harm or even death.

And men and women, particularly young men and women, apparently, still need education about what constitutes rape.

Anyway, pageants
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 07:56 PM   #13
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monzanator View Post
These pageants are all about politics these days

But above all teaching men not to rape is a futile case. It's like trying to get rid of murder and theft too. Good luck with that for all those "politicaly correct" brain masters
That is sad.
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 08:36 PM   #14
country flag Bismarck.

Bismarck. has a reputation beyond repute Bismarck. has a reputation beyond repute Bismarck. has a reputation beyond repute Bismarck. has a reputation beyond repute Bismarck. has a reputation beyond repute Bismarck. has a reputation beyond repute Bismarck. has a reputation beyond repute Bismarck. has a reputation beyond repute Bismarck. has a reputation beyond repute Bismarck. has a reputation beyond repute Bismarck. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by edificio View Post
That is sad.
People are taught not to murder, steal, cheat etc. etc. and yet they still do it. You can't eradicate it, unfortunate as it is.
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 11:28 PM   #15
country flag Cajka

Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute

So, if someone tries to rape me, what would be more useful, having great knowledge of history of raping or having good fighting skills?