Rivals for the number one spot - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 25th, 2011, 06:31 PM   #1
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute
Rivals for the number one spot

People who don´t like Caroline like to claim no.1 ranking doesn´t matter but I think we know the truth , it does.
So, which players do you consider to be the biggest threat to Caro´s no.1 rank?
marineblue is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 25th, 2011, 08:51 PM   #2
country flag backhandsmash

backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rivals for the number one spot

In the long run, Azarenka without a doubt. She would have been #2 by now if not for a very bad draw at the USO. And of course Serena come Wimbledon time next year could be close.
And it might be too early to say this, but I think Zvonareva has missed her chance of ever becoming #1.
backhandsmash is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2011, 09:48 PM   #3
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Who knows how she will do next season but when you look at how few tournaments Maria Sharapova has played this season you can make a case for her taking the number one ranking next year if she plays a bit more often.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2011, 10:34 PM   #4
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Until IW & Miami, Maria is probably the main rival for #1.
She didnt do much a year ago after Caroline beat her in NY. Then started this year slowly, then got sick & skipped Dubai, Doha.

Long term it will be Caroline's health. Eventually top players take more time off to stay healthy. I expect that will happen with Caroline too.

But now, I think she wants this YE #1.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2011, 10:56 PM   #5
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineblue View Post
People who don´t like Caroline like to claim no.1 ranking doesn´t matter but I think we know the truth , it does.
Of course it does. If it didn't they wouldn't nag about it 24/7.
Quote:
So, which players do you consider to be the biggest threat to Caro´s no.1 rank?
-Serena if she plays enough tournaments and stays healthy
-Sharapova if she plays more tournaments, and I have a feeling that trying to get back to #1 will be more of a goal for her than Serena.
-Kvitova - maybe, if she gets a bit more consistent and learns how to deal with the pressure of being a slam champ.

The most immediate threat is Maria though. She's the closest at the moment and I think she wants it the most.

Thank you LI NA
Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2011, 11:20 PM   #6
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Of course it does. If it didn't they wouldn't nag about it 24/7.

-Serena if she plays enough tournaments and stays healthy
-Sharapova if she plays more tournaments, and I have a feeling that trying to get back to #1 will be more of a goal for her than Serena.
-Kvitova - maybe, if she gets a bit more consistent and learns how to deal with the pressure of being a slam champ.

The most immediate threat is Maria though. She's the closest at the moment and I think she wants it the most.
I wouldn't underestimate Vika though as well. Of course - she does have this retirements problem. But after IW and when she won Miami - I think she's upped her level and I've been quite impressed with the way she's played.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 06:12 AM   #7
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting points. I think Maria is the one who probably aims to get there but I don´t think that she will overtake Caroline for the YEC. She has had a good year but she also had some really bad losses. I mean, Voskoboeva, Pennetta, rusty Serena... those are not the kind of players to lose to.
I think players like Vika and Vera are not too keen to get there because of all the fuss that media and some fans make about not having a slam.
As for Kvitova, her results are far from what I´d expected. She started to slump since Wimbledon and so far has not put it together so I don´t see her as a major threat.

Anyhow, the competition for no.1 will probably get more interesting next season. Believe it or not (Bruce, haha) Ivanovic is aiming to get back into the mix according to her recent interview. She is playing better now but it is Ivanovic... On the other hand having her and JJ back in top 10 would be interesting.
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #8
country flag poulao

poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of

There are of cause rivals, but they all have something to prove, even Maria.
poulao is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 11:52 AM   #9
country flag QuietPlease

QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future

As of right now clearly Maria. She may be 3000 points behind on the rankings, but in the race for YE #1 she is actually less than 1000 behind. Should Caro get the YE #1 again, she's got a lot more points to defend in AO/Dubai, so Maria has a big chance to get to #1 in early 2012.

Long term it's probably Vika.

2006 Year End #237 - 2007 Year End #64 - 2008 Year End #12 - 2009 Year End #4

2010 Year End #1
2011 Year End #1

2012 Year End #10 - 2013 Year End #10
QuietPlease is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 12:43 PM   #10
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Interesting points. I think Caro is the one who probably aims to get there but I don´t think that she will finish at year end #1. She has had a good year but she also had some really bad losses. I mean, McHale, Vinci, Cibulkova (twice)... those are not the kind of players to lose to.
I think players like Vika and Vera are not too keen to get there because of all the fuss that media and some fans make about not having a slam.
As for Kvitova, her results are far from what I´d expected. She started to slump since Wimbledon and so far has not put it together so I don´t see her as a major threat.

Anyhow, the competition for no.1 will probably get more interesting next season. Believe it or not (Bruce, haha) Ivanovic is aiming to get back into the mix according to her recent interview. She is playing better now but it is Ivanovic... On the other hand having her and JJ back in top 10 would be interesting.
Made a slight correction to your 1st paragraph.

It's not like they're gonna try to lose matches to avoid that though.

Ivanovic has been saying that sort of thing for some time. For every player that enters the top 10, someone else exits the top 10.
Protoss is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 01:34 PM   #11
country flag Crockett

Crockett is a name known to all Crockett is a name known to all Crockett is a name known to all Crockett is a name known to all Crockett is a name known to all Crockett is a name known to all Crockett is a name known to all Crockett is a name known to all Crockett is a name known to all Crockett is a name known to all Crockett is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
Made a slight correction to your 1st paragraph.
And you made a good point. Maria and Caroline have had comparable results since the beginning of the year, which is reflected in the race. Caroline is a bit ahead, but their results during the remainder of the year vill be crucial. If they both do badly for the rest of the year, a third player may end up grabbing #1 in Istanbul, but their road to that goal is much more difficult.
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 07:36 PM   #12
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't believe for a minute that Vika and Vera are not keen to get to #1.

As for Ana though - she always says those sort of things. She was talking about winning slams back at the AO. She also said she was playing better now than in 2008. So I don't take any notice of what she says because she seems mostly in denial the last 3 years. She has blown hot and cold this last year and she has put in some good performances mixed with bad ones. Also she was playing well at the end of last year. So maybe she can get back. But I wouldn't pay any attention to what she says in an interview.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 09:33 PM   #13
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
I don't believe for a minute that Vika and Vera are not keen to get to #1.

I agree. This is made up in GM; that players dont want to be #1.
Of course you do. Its a sign that you are the best player week in and week out.
Its the same computer formula for everyone. It doesnt play favorites.

Its not easy to get there. In the last 50 weeks its Caro & Kim for one week.
Very hard to get there. Extremely hard to stay there. Caroline is already top 8 or 9 all time in weeks at #1.
Very hard to stay there

There are fewer long term #1's than at least 2 slam winners like Sveta. Its harder to do.
And Caroline still has years ahead to win majors.

Old Sep 27th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #14
marineblue

Well, that is true but nowadays people just don´t want to appreciate all the hard work that players put in to get there and instead of praise ridicule slamless no.1s for that reason I thought that players like Vika or Vera would hesitate to get there. They are both not as tough mentally as as Caroline is. Especially with Vera, I think this kind of pressure and criticism would be extremely difficult for her to bear.
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 09:59 PM   #15
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
Well, that is true but nowadays people just don´t want to appreciate all the hard work that players put in to get there and instead of praise ridicule slamless no.1s for that reason I thought that players like Vika or Vera would hesitate to get there. They are both not as tough mentally as as Caroline is. Especially with Vera, I think this kind of pressure and criticism would be extremely difficult for her to bear.
For the rest of your life you are a former #1, if you get there.
Why would anyone not want that? You think if 12 year olds are asked what they want to accomplish in tennis, they say " I want to win majors and be ranked 7-12"
Its a ton of hard work to be #1, and to stay there, an incredible amount of quality play.

Only one player on the tour is #1 longer than Caro. That's Serena. No one else.