Madonna's latest film scorned - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 9th, 2002, 03:18 PM   #1
CHOCO

CHOCO is an unknown quantity at this point CHOCO is an unknown quantity at this point CHOCO is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Madonna's latest film scorned

Picture: AFP
Guy Ritchie and Madonna have failed to impress with their joint cinematic effort.

Madonna's latest film scorned
November 10 2002
By Hadley Freeman
London

Swept Away, Madonna's latest movie, will not be released in cinemas in Britain.

Since its release in the United States last month, the film has been derided and scorned by critics and audiences respectively. Variety denounced it as "painless and turgid" and The Washington Post warned: "It's as awful as you've heard and as bad as you've imagined." Audiences imagined the worst and it earned just over $US316,000 ($A560,000) in its opening weekend.

Red Dragon, The Silence of the Lambs prequel that opened in the US the previous week, made $US37 million. Critics gleefully predicted that Swept Away would be a huge winner of "Razzie" awards, the anti-Oscars of Hollywood.

The movie, a remake of Lina Wertmuller's film, stars Madonna as a wealthy yacht-bound wife who becomes stranded on an island with her Italian deckhand. It is directed by Madonna's British husband, Guy Ritchie, more famous for films about gangsters, such as Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, than tales of desert island passion.

This marks the second time for Madonna that a cinema collaboration with a husband has proved a disappointment. The 1985 movie Shanghai Surprise, in which she co-starred with her husband at the time, Sean Penn, was a flop.

Swept Away, which cost $US11 million to make, was scheduled to be released in Britain next March. It is rare for a studio to pull a film completely from a planned release, particularly one with such a well-known cast member. Even Glitter, another recent critically panned film starring a pop star - Mariah Carey - was released in Britain. That Swept Away is pointedly not being released in the UK will be even more of an embarrassment for the couple, who live in England.

Columbia Tristar declined to comment on Friday about its decision.
CHOCO is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 9th, 2002, 03:27 PM   #2
country flag shirley

shirley has a reputation beyond repute shirley has a reputation beyond repute shirley has a reputation beyond repute shirley has a reputation beyond repute shirley has a reputation beyond repute shirley has a reputation beyond repute shirley has a reputation beyond repute shirley has a reputation beyond repute shirley has a reputation beyond repute shirley has a reputation beyond repute shirley has a reputation beyond repute
Is it going straight to video?

*Kilmarnock FC: Scottish League Cup Winners 2012*

Juan Martin Del Potro

World Cup 2010 Prediction Joint Champion
shirley is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2002, 03:35 PM   #3
country flag sartrista7
Registered 1

sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future
People praise Madonna for her astute business sense, but fail to realise that in nearly two decades in the business, the woman still doesn't realis that she cannot act. Latest gossip is that she's been auditioning at the Royal Court Theatre (London). She never gives up, does she?
sartrista7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2002, 05:24 PM   #4
CHOCO

CHOCO is an unknown quantity at this point CHOCO is an unknown quantity at this point CHOCO is an unknown quantity at this point
I saw Madonna in Evita. Is she that bad as an actress?
Old Nov 9th, 2002, 06:39 PM   #5
Consistency
Team WTAworld

Consistency is a glorious beacon of light Consistency is a glorious beacon of light Consistency is a glorious beacon of light Consistency is a glorious beacon of light Consistency is a glorious beacon of light Consistency is a glorious beacon of light Consistency is a glorious beacon of light Consistency is a glorious beacon of light Consistency is a glorious beacon of light Consistency is a glorious beacon of light Consistency is a glorious beacon of light
I think Madonna can get by ( barely) when she plays herself, or a character with a "Madonna" like personality.

ex. "Desperately Seeking Susan" " Truth or Dare".

According to movie critics in the past, Madonna has trouble expressing vulnerability and her acting appears calculated, as if she's thinking " I'll look sad now."or "This expression on my face should wow the audience".

I didn't see "Evita", but I heard it was like watching a 2 hour MTV music video.

Last edited by Consistency : Nov 9th, 2002 at 06:46 PM.
Consistency is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2002, 09:46 PM   #6
CHOCO

exactly! I just had higher hopes for Madonna as an actress.
Old Nov 9th, 2002, 09:58 PM   #7
country flag darren cahill

darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all
Evita was better than a 2 hour music video. But my hats off to Madonna for trying to improve or do better in something thats hard for her. I dont think shes one to wuss out of something...i personally wish she'd stop embarrassing herself but maybe she tells herself that as soon as her next cd comes out/next tour etc everyone will be kissing her ass again so whats a movie flop every 2 years or so? I didnt see the movie but i will get it when it comes out on video/dvd. Hey, as long as she looks nice and her hair is pretty, i'm happy!
darren cahill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2002, 10:05 PM   #8
CliffRichard

CliffRichard is just really nice CliffRichard is just really nice CliffRichard is just really nice CliffRichard is just really nice CliffRichard is just really nice CliffRichard is just really nice CliffRichard is just really nice CliffRichard is just really nice CliffRichard is just really nice CliffRichard is just really nice CliffRichard is just really nice
Huh, Madge should have taken a leaf out of my book. I made great films, AND I am a great singer.
(although admittedly they didn't even have videos in my day)
Old Nov 9th, 2002, 10:24 PM   #9
country flag JonBcn
Tart with a Heart

JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute
I distinctly remember your video for 'Wired for sound', Cliff. It was 1980, you were wearing rollerskates, and legwarmers, and, I believe, neon lycra.

Or does that not count?