Martina Navratilova VS Serena Williams - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Who Wold Win??

Martina 104 43.15%
Serena 137 56.85%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 21st, 2011, 01:56 PM   #31
BlueTrees

BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Martina Navratilova VS Serena Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria rocks View Post
Serena. I reckon Serena could beat half the men!! Best female tennis player EVER.
Please tell me this is a joke.
BlueTrees is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 21st, 2011, 01:56 PM   #32
country flag young_gunner913
Praise thy name.

young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbert View Post
absolutly no chance. women haven't got the physical basis like men. i bet every top300 atp player would beat her. as example, compare men/women in athletic sports or swimming.
Please.
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 03:36 PM   #33
country flag Philbo

Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by young_gunner913 View Post
Please.
The top 300 men would beat every single female player on the tour.

Dont you recall when the sisters first came on tour, a year or two into their career they mentioned thinking they could beat some of the men players? A chain smoking german took them up on the challenge...

'Braasch competed in a 'Battle of the Sexes' contest against Venus Williams and Serena Williams at the 1998 Australian Open when he was ranked 203. A decade and a half older than the sisters, Braasch "was a man whose training regime centred around a pack of cigarettes and more than a couple bottles of ice cold lager."[1] He nonetheless handily defeated the sisters in an individual set, 6–1 on Serena, 6–2 on Venus, while rubbing it in by smoking cigarettes during the changeover
Of even more significance, there's this little gap in Graf's resume the size of the hole in the ozone layer: It's called Monica Seles. Was Graf the best female player of all time? She wasn't even the best in the heart of her career.
- Frank Deford, Sports Illustrated 27/8/01
Philbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 05:19 PM   #34
country flag HippityHop

HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute

Why are people even drawn into this bullshit about Serena beating male players? It's clearly for trolling purposes.
"You are young, my son, and, as the years go by, time will change and even reverse many of your present opinions. Refrain therefore awhile from setting yourself up as a judge of the highest matters." -- Plato .

The famous are rarely significant and the significant are rarely famous.
HippityHop is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 06:32 PM   #35
country flag LDVTennis

LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future

Martina's H2H against Steffi DOES NOT suggest that she (Martina) would do well against the generation that came after her.

The Steffi that faced Serena/Venus and Davenport was not the same Steffi of 88.

By 96 (when Steffi reached her peak), Steffi was a much stronger player than the Steffi of 88.

Martina never faced that Steffi. Only Steffi has proven herself against both generations.

In this matchup, Serena should be the clear winner.

You think she could beat most of today’s players?
Yeah, I think so. If she has the motivation and starts a little bit practicing, I think she could beat everybody.
--- Tennis.com, Tennis Talk, July 28, 2011
LDVTennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 06:40 PM   #36
country flag FerrerFan123
ShinSekai Yori

FerrerFan123 has a reputation beyond repute FerrerFan123 has a reputation beyond repute FerrerFan123 has a reputation beyond repute FerrerFan123 has a reputation beyond repute FerrerFan123 has a reputation beyond repute FerrerFan123 has a reputation beyond repute FerrerFan123 has a reputation beyond repute FerrerFan123 has a reputation beyond repute FerrerFan123 has a reputation beyond repute FerrerFan123 has a reputation beyond repute FerrerFan123 has a reputation beyond repute

Martina Navratilova is the best female player to ever hold a racquet. At least that's what I think.

I'm sure if they played, Martina would initially have problems with Serena's game, but being the genius she is would always figure out ways to win and eventually would win the rest of their matches.

Pretty much Navratilova and Serena in a Serena-Sharapova type head to head.
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 06:48 PM   #37
country flag justineheninfan

justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo View Post
Martina never played Steffi when she was 15 years old. They first played in the US Open semis in 85 when Graf was 16. Also she had been on tour already since 1983, so she had had quite a bit of time on tour. She was good enough in 85 to make the US SF's. She was no rookie. So they played twice that year. 1986 was a year where Graf pushed Martina to match point down in the US semi's and she only lost 5 or 6 matches all year so I think you can only discount the 2 matches in 85 as being somewhat irrelevant due to Graf being young.

Even so, 2-2 in their last 4 meetings with Graf in peak years and Martina well and truley past her peak (34-37) show that Martina's game stacked up strongly against Graf.

Im pretty sure Monica was 16 when they first played each other, not 15 either. They played twice in 89, and the next year Seles was winning her first slam so its not like they played HEAPS of time's before both Graf and Seles were at or near the top.

Ive read and memorised just about every interview with Martina. You are correct in that she found Seles game VERYdifficult because Monica had pace off both sides and she didnt have an obvious side to attack. She might have felt intimidated by the power on Graf's forehand (and to lesser degree serve), but she always knew she had a chance to exploit Graf's slice backhand which her record shows good success at doing.

Ive never ever heard her say that she struggled with the POWER of Mandikova. Would appreciate seeing what you've seen if you have a source? Her problems with Hana were mainly, Hana took the net away from Martina and Martina often had mental issues playing fellow czechs.
Steffi and Martina played 6 times in 85-86 and I am pretty sure Graf was nowhere near her prime those years. She hadnt even reached a slam final yet or gone past the 4th round of Wimbledon yet by the end of 86, and her first pro tournament win wasnt until May 86. Martina was still at her best at that point. 87 was the year Graf began to ascend to her prime and Martina began to fall off hers. Yes you are right Martina played Graf pretty well though, but she still found her power harder to cope with than Evert's game and said so in a couple documentaries on her I saw, and Serena has extreme power off all shots which Graf does not.

Seles did not turn 16 until December 1989. So Martina did have 2 matches with 15 year old Seles and 4 with 16 year old Seles. Yes Seles won her first slam in 1990 but she was definitely nowhere near the Seles of 91-93 either, she only made it past the quarters of that one slam that year and lost to Linda Ferrando (lol) at the U.S open. As you correctly noted Martina had more trouble with Seles power off all areas than she did with Graf. When she chose to approach the net she knew she would be facing blasts wherever she came from, off the serve, approaching the forehand, approaching the backhand, which wasnt true of Graf. Serena though has a much bigger 1st and 2nd serve than Seles (and an even better serve than Graf who arguably had the best womens serve back then), returns almost as well as Seles (and definitely better than Graf), and hits off the ground with atleast as much vigor off both sides as Seles. Martina would have a much harder time getting into Serena's service games than Seles, providing Serena wasnt serving like say the US Open final this year.

While Martina was starting to get older when she played Seles (and some of her matches with Graf) keep in mind she was an extremely late bloomer too. She was playing much better even at 30-33 than your typical great, since almost her whole career of achievement basically started at age 25 (minus the first 2 Wimbledon titles and 1 U.S Open final). She wasnt at her best but she wasnt a typical 30-33 year old player either.

I saw her mention she felt Hana when playing well was better able to counter her power than Chris could because of her power and shotmaking ability. I also saw that on a documentary on her. If I can find a quote I will but dont have one on me now.
justineheninfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 10:06 PM   #38
country flag XSTopspin

XSTopspin is a name known to all XSTopspin is a name known to all XSTopspin is a name known to all XSTopspin is a name known to all XSTopspin is a name known to all XSTopspin is a name known to all XSTopspin is a name known to all XSTopspin is a name known to all XSTopspin is a name known to all XSTopspin is a name known to all XSTopspin is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMBH View Post
Navratilova and Evert would both give Serena a serious slap-down. They were both superior in almost every aspect of the game except for power. But as Martina mentions in the interview, Serena's power can also be used against her by efficient counterpunching.
Stay off the drugs. Even Evert herself said (in the same series of "matchup" interviews) that if she played either or the Williams sisters she might get blown off the court.
XSTopspin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 10:30 PM   #39

justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute

Evert vs Serena would probably strictly come down to the time they played. In the wood racquet era Chris would probably be favored, although in the wood racquet era 3 of the 4 majors were on grass for awhile which might still tip things to Serena. In the graphite racquet era definitely Serena. Martina and Serena would be closer across either one.
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 11:13 PM   #40
country flag renstar

renstar has much to be proud of renstar has much to be proud of renstar has much to be proud of renstar has much to be proud of renstar has much to be proud of renstar has much to be proud of renstar has much to be proud of renstar has much to be proud of renstar has much to be proud of renstar has much to be proud of renstar has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by justineheninfan View Post
I think with Serena at her very best Martina would have alot of trouble with her power. She never faced that kind of power in her prime, and by the time she started facing it with Graf and Seles she was mostly past her prime so it is hard to guage how she would have handled it. However the power of Graf and even moreso Seles was challenging for her. Serena overall has more power than either Graf or Seles. Her will to win is unmatched by almost any women in history, and I think her nerve is stronger than Martina too.
A 34yo Navratilova handled the best and one of the most powerful power hitters in women's tennis of all times game when she was 21yo and virtually at her prime, so you answer that question:

renstar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 01:03 AM   #41
country flag Jakeev

Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute

I loved Martina in her time but I can't see her beating Serena on a regular basis even if you dumped her 1983 form with better racquets today.

If Martina had a bigger serve maybe but I think Serena's power would get the best of her.
Jakeev is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 01:08 AM   #42
country flag FPC

FPC FPC FPC FPC FPC FPC FPC FPC FPC FPC FPC

Is this a serious question?

Peak Serena would demolish peak Martina.
FPC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 01:49 AM   #43
SoClose

SoClose has a brilliant future SoClose has a brilliant future SoClose has a brilliant future SoClose has a brilliant future SoClose has a brilliant future SoClose has a brilliant future SoClose has a brilliant future SoClose has a brilliant future SoClose has a brilliant future SoClose has a brilliant future SoClose has a brilliant future

Serena 60 60 she is a much better player than Martina

I also like/support - M.Sharapova,M.Keys,E.Bouchard and B.Mattek S.
My twitter @ 0Simeonn .Fllow me.I follow back
SoClose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 02:03 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by renstar View Post
A 34yo Navratilova handled the best and one of the most powerful power hitters in women's tennis of all times game when she was 21yo and virtually at her prime, so you answer that question:

Like I already said Graf is not as powerful as Serena (I am not talking about better overall or not, but just the power aspect). Serena has an even bigger server, a much more powerful backhand, and is alot more agressive off the return. The forehand is the only shot Graf matches or surpasses Serena in raw power. Against Graf, Martina was facing 105 mph first serves, 85 mph second serves, sliced backhands, and sliced backhand returns. Against Serena she would be facing 125 mph seres, some 2nd serves over 100 mph, and killer returns and groundstrokes off both sides. It has already been noted by others Navratilova had more trouble with the power of Seles than Graf since she couldnt attack off the slice backhand the way she could Graf, but Serena power wise was like Seles with by far a bigger serve as well.

Anyway that is just one match, and while Martina was 34, Graf was having one of her worst years ever that year and was losing often to nearly everyone in the top 10. It was Martina's first win over Graf in 4 years remember, since Martina herself was 30.

Either way Martina and Serena would obviously both have alot of wins over each other if they were contemporaries. So it isnt a black or blue question.
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 04:38 AM   #45
country flag jrollaneres25

jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo View Post
Martina never played Steffi when she was 15 years old. They first played in the US Open semis in 85 when Graf was 16. Also she had been on tour already since 1983, so she had had quite a bit of time on tour. She was good enough in 85 to make the US SF's. She was no rookie. So they played twice that year. 1986 was a year where Graf pushed Martina to match point down in the US semi's and she only lost 5 or 6 matches all year so I think you can only discount the 2 matches in 85 as being somewhat irrelevant due to Graf being young.

Even so, 2-2 in their last 4 meetings with Graf in peak years and Martina well and truley past her peak (34-37) show that Martina's game stacked up strongly against Graf.

Im pretty sure Monica was 16 when they first played each other, not 15 either. They played twice in 89, and the next year Seles was winning her first slam so its not like they played HEAPS of time's before both Graf and Seles were at or near the top.

Ive read and memorised just about every interview with Martina. You are correct in that she found Seles game VERYdifficult because Monica had pace off both sides and she didnt have an obvious side to attack. She might have felt intimidated by the power on Graf's forehand (and to lesser degree serve), but she always knew she had a chance to exploit Graf's slice backhand which her record shows good success at doing.

Ive never ever heard her say that she struggled with the POWER of Mandikova. Would appreciate seeing what you've seen if you have a source? Her problems with Hana were mainly, Hana took the net away from Martina and Martina often had mental issues playing fellow czechs.

Serena Won the Us Open in 1999 and Venus made the Final in her debut. Both where teenagers and still had Mountains of growth ahead of them
Matthew 14:28 Then Peter called to him, “Lord, if it’s really you, tell me to come to you, walking on the water.”
29 “Yes, come,” Jesus said.
I am a pretty big Veeliver of Venus Williams, but I'm a FOLLOWER of

Jesus Christ!!
jrollaneres25 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote