Martina Navratilova VS Serena Williams - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Who Wold Win??

Martina 104 43.15%
Serena 137 56.85%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 20th, 2011, 05:08 AM   #16
Setsuna.

Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Martina Navratilova VS Serena Williams

Martina is the real GOAT. She wins.

Chakvetadze Barthel Kerber Halep Pavlyuchenkova Shvedova Bencic Lottner
Setsuna. is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 20th, 2011, 08:34 AM   #17
country flag Philbo

Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by justineheninfan View Post
I think with Serena at her very best Martina would have alot of trouble with her power. She never faced that kind of power in her prime, and by the time she started facing it with Graf and Seles she was mostly past her prime so it is hard to guage how she would have handled it. However the power of Graf and even moreso Seles was challenging for her. Serena overall has more power than either Graf or Seles. Her will to win is unmatched by almost any women in history, and I think her nerve is stronger than Martina too.
Martina's H2H's against Steffi and Monica reflect well on her ability to cope with the powerful generation that came after her. 9-9 against Graf (including 2-2 in their last 4 matches when Martina was 34-37) and 7-10 against Seles (Martina first played her when she was approx 33 years old). I think she liked pace coming at her as she had good enough hands to use their pace.

I think she'd be able to cope with Serena off the ground well enough. But if Serena has an ON serving day, Martina would certainly struggle with getting her serve back.
Of even more significance, there's this little gap in Graf's resume the size of the hole in the ozone layer: It's called Monica Seles. Was Graf the best female player of all time? She wasn't even the best in the heart of her career.
- Frank Deford, Sports Illustrated 27/8/01
Philbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 09:07 AM   #18
country flag Maria rocks

Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of

Serena. I reckon Serena could beat half the men!! Best female tennis player EVER.
Maria rocks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 09:13 AM   #19
country flag Michael*

Michael* has much to be proud of Michael* has much to be proud of Michael* has much to be proud of Michael* has much to be proud of Michael* has much to be proud of Michael* has much to be proud of Michael* has much to be proud of Michael* has much to be proud of Michael* has much to be proud of Michael* has much to be proud of Michael* has much to be proud of

Serena would wipe the floor with Navs. Next, seriously.
Michael* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #20
country flag Philbo

Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by karotard View Post
Serena would wipe the floor with Navs. Next, seriously.
LOL.. creating new profiles just to give Serena an extra vote.. Desperado....
Of even more significance, there's this little gap in Graf's resume the size of the hole in the ozone layer: It's called Monica Seles. Was Graf the best female player of all time? She wasn't even the best in the heart of her career.
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 10:24 AM   #21
country flag Michael*

Michael* has much to be proud of Michael* has much to be proud of Michael* has much to be proud of Michael* has much to be proud of Michael* has much to be proud of Michael* has much to be proud of Michael* has much to be proud of Michael* has much to be proud of Michael* has much to be proud of Michael* has much to be proud of Michael* has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo View Post
LOL.. creating new profiles just to give Serena an extra vote.. Desperado....

Girl, you gotta stop.
Michael* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 05:02 PM   #22
country flag tennislover

tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMBH View Post
Navratilova and Evert would both give Serena a serious slap-down. They were both superior in almost every aspect of the game except for power. But as Martina mentions in the interview, Serena's power can also be used against her by efficient counterpunching.
This

Martina Navratilova

Most career titles (singles+doubles):Navratilova
Most Wimbledon singles titles: Navratilova
Most Wimbledon singles and doubles titles: Navratilova
Most WTA Tour Championship singles titles: Navratilova
Most WTA Tour Championship doubles titles: Navratilova
tennislover is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 05:07 PM   #23
country flag justineheninfan

justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo View Post
Martina's H2H's against Steffi and Monica reflect well on her ability to cope with the powerful generation that came after her. 9-9 against Graf (including 2-2 in their last 4 matches when Martina was 34-37) and 7-10 against Seles (Martina first played her when she was approx 33 years old). I think she liked pace coming at her as she had good enough hands to use their pace.

I think she'd be able to cope with Serena off the ground well enough. But if Serena has an ON serving day, Martina would certainly struggle with getting her serve back.
Good points although remember she began playing Graf and Seles when they were both 15 and played many matches against both before they even turned 17 (Seles) or 18 (Graf). Martina could definitely cope with pace but she still admited she found the pace of Graf, Seles, and even Mandlikova more of a challenge to her when playing well then the more conservative and far less explosive although excellent and precise hitting of Evert.

I agree that Serenas serve which is the best in womens tennis history would be the biggest worry of all for Martina (like virtually everyone who plays Serena).
justineheninfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 07:27 AM   #24
country flag Navratil

Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future

50-year-old Martin would struggle against Serena but Martina at her best is the best ever and would beat Peak-Serena.
Navratil is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 08:42 AM   #25
country flag samsam4087

samsam4087 has a brilliant future samsam4087 has a brilliant future samsam4087 has a brilliant future samsam4087 has a brilliant future samsam4087 has a brilliant future samsam4087 has a brilliant future samsam4087 has a brilliant future samsam4087 has a brilliant future samsam4087 has a brilliant future samsam4087 has a brilliant future samsam4087 has a brilliant future

Martina Navratilova
samsam4087 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 11:23 AM   #26
country flag Philbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by justineheninfan View Post
Good points although remember she began playing Graf and Seles when they were both 15 and played many matches against both before they even turned 17 (Seles) or 18 (Graf). Martina could definitely cope with pace but she still admited she found the pace of Graf, Seles, and even Mandlikova more of a challenge to her when playing well then the more conservative and far less explosive although excellent and precise hitting of Evert.

I agree that Serenas serve which is the best in womens tennis history would be the biggest worry of all for Martina (like virtually everyone who plays Serena).
Martina never played Steffi when she was 15 years old. They first played in the US Open semis in 85 when Graf was 16. Also she had been on tour already since 1983, so she had had quite a bit of time on tour. She was good enough in 85 to make the US SF's. She was no rookie. So they played twice that year. 1986 was a year where Graf pushed Martina to match point down in the US semi's and she only lost 5 or 6 matches all year so I think you can only discount the 2 matches in 85 as being somewhat irrelevant due to Graf being young.

Even so, 2-2 in their last 4 meetings with Graf in peak years and Martina well and truley past her peak (34-37) show that Martina's game stacked up strongly against Graf.

Im pretty sure Monica was 16 when they first played each other, not 15 either. They played twice in 89, and the next year Seles was winning her first slam so its not like they played HEAPS of time's before both Graf and Seles were at or near the top.

Ive read and memorised just about every interview with Martina. You are correct in that she found Seles game VERYdifficult because Monica had pace off both sides and she didnt have an obvious side to attack. She might have felt intimidated by the power on Graf's forehand (and to lesser degree serve), but she always knew she had a chance to exploit Graf's slice backhand which her record shows good success at doing.

Ive never ever heard her say that she struggled with the POWER of Mandikova. Would appreciate seeing what you've seen if you have a source? Her problems with Hana were mainly, Hana took the net away from Martina and Martina often had mental issues playing fellow czechs.
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 11:36 AM   #27
country flag Johnbert

Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria rocks View Post
Serena. I reckon Serena could beat half the men!! Best female tennis player EVER.
absolutly no chance. women haven't got the physical basis like men. i bet every top300 atp player would beat her. as example, compare men/women in athletic sports or swimming.
Johnbert is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 11:41 AM   #28
country flag MLF

MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute

Martina's serve and volley game would give Serena fits, I think most of their sets would go to tiebreaks as they are probably the best two servers ever. Martina's style would mean she'd be far more of a headache for Serena than Graf or Evert but it would be a good match up.
MLF is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 12:06 PM   #29
country flag Yoncé
On His Mouth Like Liquor

Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute

I have been pondering over this for days, it would be incredible to see Serena and Martina playing in their peaks against each other. It would be great to see what they drew out of each other, would Martina's serve and volley force Serena to play a more net orientated game? Martina would be the most challenging match up for Serena IMO. I originally thought Serena, however now the more I think about the more I think about why Martina would win.

Its just to epic to process
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 01:54 PM   #30
BlueTrees

BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute

Martina 6-3 6-4. She's just a better player...
BlueTrees is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote