Martina Navratilova VS Serena Williams - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Who Wold Win??

Martina 104 43.15%
Serena 137 56.85%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 17th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #1
country flag jrollaneres25

jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute
Martina Navratilova VS Serena Williams

Martina:

"I Would be inspired if I could play Serena Williams on that US Open stadium court.
The atmosphere with both of us in our primes would be electric.
The key for me would be to neutralize her power and get into the points on her serve, to make her hit more balls than she is used to hitting in most of her matches.
I would need to keep the balls as low as possible, and I would tr to hit short to bring her forward, and then come in deep going the other way.
Now she is going backwards as I come in to the net.

On my serve I would not be able to serve-and-volley all of the time, but I would do it a lot.
I would serve into her body, mix it up a lot.
I served-and-volleyed a lot against Monica Seles and she had the best return in the game then, and it was effective. I believe I could deal with Serena's pace.
The harder the ball comes to me the faster it tends to come back.
And I would try to give her a lot of off-paced balls.
Getting into the rally would be another key for me.
I could see Serena and me having a very close match, something like 6-4 in the third set, with maybe a few tie-breaks before that.
There would be very few service breaks and I could imagine a set without any breaks at all.
It would be exciting because we are two of the best athletes tennis has ever seen and the crowd would respond positively to that."

Mark Preston
American journalist, USTA Magazine

"There has never been a player I've admired more than Martina Navratilova, both for her talent and her remarkable competitive ability. Born in Czechoslovakia, but most assuredly made in America, Navratilova did nothing less than change the face of women's tennis with her aggressive game, unparalleled commitment to fitness and unquenchable desire to be the best. The only other woman on par with Navratilova in terms of mental toughness and sheer fighting spirit is Serena Williams, the greatest pure competitor of this era of women's tennis. For that reason alone, it would be a joy to see these two go head-to-head on the game's biggest stage; Navratilova's precise serve-and-volley game against Williams' punishing power. The exchanges would be staggering in their brilliance; two fighters engaged in the sort of heavyweight slugfest that usually has ropes around it. Without a doubt, this one goes the distance, as neither woman gives an inch. In three, it's Navratilova."
Matthew 14:28 Then Peter called to him, “Lord, if it’s really you, tell me to come to you, walking on the water.”
29 “Yes, come,” Jesus said.
I am a pretty big Veeliver of Venus Williams, but I'm a FOLLOWER of

Jesus Christ!!

Last edited by jrollaneres25 : Sep 17th, 2011 at 09:56 PM.
jrollaneres25 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 17th, 2011, 10:34 PM   #2
country flag tennislover

tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Martina Navratilova VS Serena Williams

Martina is perfection in tennis!

Martina Navratilova

Most career titles (singles+doubles):Navratilova
Most Wimbledon singles titles: Navratilova
Most Wimbledon singles and doubles titles: Navratilova
Most WTA Tour Championship singles titles: Navratilova
Most WTA Tour Championship doubles titles: Navratilova
tennislover is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2011, 10:36 PM   #3
country flag Mahon_Lorcan

Mahon_Lorcan has a reputation beyond repute Mahon_Lorcan has a reputation beyond repute Mahon_Lorcan has a reputation beyond repute Mahon_Lorcan has a reputation beyond repute Mahon_Lorcan has a reputation beyond repute Mahon_Lorcan has a reputation beyond repute Mahon_Lorcan has a reputation beyond repute Mahon_Lorcan has a reputation beyond repute Mahon_Lorcan has a reputation beyond repute Mahon_Lorcan has a reputation beyond repute Mahon_Lorcan has a reputation beyond repute

Martina! She is the best ever
Mahon_Lorcan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2011, 11:00 PM   #4
country flag Alejandrawrrr

Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't this thread exist before?
Old Sep 17th, 2011, 11:46 PM   #5

jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute

With what Martina said? I'm not sure. I just got this article from USTA and posted it today
Matthew 14:28 Then Peter called to him, “Lord, if it’s really you, tell me to come to you, walking on the water.”

Jesus Christ!!
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 05:50 AM   #6

Wow, the poll is pretty close

Jesus Christ!!
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #7
country flag tennislover

tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollaneres25 View Post
Wow, the poll is pretty close
I didn't think Martina had so many votes!!!

Martina Navratilova

Most career titles (singles+doubles):Navratilova
Most Wimbledon singles titles: Navratilova
Most Wimbledon singles and doubles titles: Navratilova
Most WTA Tour Championship singles titles: Navratilova
Most WTA Tour Championship doubles titles: Navratilova
tennislover is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 09:15 PM   #8
country flag smarties

smarties has a brilliant future smarties has a brilliant future smarties has a brilliant future smarties has a brilliant future smarties has a brilliant future smarties has a brilliant future smarties has a brilliant future smarties has a brilliant future smarties has a brilliant future smarties has a brilliant future smarties has a brilliant future

You might as well smile, you might as well smile cause tomorrow, you just don't know...
- Beth Orton
smarties is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 10:14 PM   #9
country flag danieln1
VIP and The Cheesecake Factory

danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute

Martina

Ivanovic - Görges - Agnieszka - Li - Woz

Venus - Kvitova - Putintseva - Golden Flowers - Stosur - Stephens

that is so disrespectful.... so disrespectful!
danieln1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 02:21 AM   #10
country flag serenafann

serenafann has much to be proud of serenafann has much to be proud of serenafann has much to be proud of serenafann has much to be proud of serenafann has much to be proud of serenafann has much to be proud of serenafann has much to be proud of serenafann has much to be proud of serenafann has much to be proud of serenafann has much to be proud of serenafann has much to be proud of

Serena at or Near her Best,has NO EQUALS. Serena in two sets.

"Serena Derangement Syndrome"is Real-You Sad Bitter Pathological Haters/Liars in the Tennis media-Nothing You Say Or Write will Diminish Her GREATNESS!!
serenafann is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 02:31 AM   #11
country flag Jane Lane

Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute

I've always wondered how much more awesome Navratilova would be if you gave her today's technology.
Jane Lane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 03:59 AM   #12
country flag Bonfire

Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute

Three tough sets! Serena winning of course! Unless a controversial line call happens. Then Martina is the winner

W
ozniacki - Stephens - Vandeweghe
Townsend - Stosur - Kvitova
Isner - Wawrinka - Sock - Berdych - Raonic

Bonfire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 04:34 AM   #13
country flag justineheninfan

justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute

I think with Serena at her very best Martina would have alot of trouble with her power. She never faced that kind of power in her prime, and by the time she started facing it with Graf and Seles she was mostly past her prime so it is hard to guage how she would have handled it. However the power of Graf and even moreso Seles was challenging for her. Serena overall has more power than either Graf or Seles. Her will to win is unmatched by almost any women in history, and I think her nerve is stronger than Martina too.
justineheninfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 05:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by justineheninfan View Post
I think with Serena at her very best Martina would have alot of trouble with her power. She never faced that kind of power in her prime, and by the time she started facing it with Graf and Seles she was mostly past her prime so it is hard to guage how she would have handled it. However the power of Graf and even moreso Seles was challenging for her. Serena overall has more power than either Graf or Seles. Her will to win is unmatched by almost any women in history, and I think her nerve is stronger than Martina too.
Wow......

Jesus Christ!!
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 05:31 AM   #15
country flag PMBH

PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future

Navratilova and Evert would both give Serena a serious slap-down. They were both superior in almost every aspect of the game except for power. But as Martina mentions in the interview, Serena's power can also be used against her by efficient counterpunching.

Last edited by PMBH : Sep 20th, 2011 at 05:45 AM.
PMBH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote