The ONE! The ONLY - Monica Seles Thread - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 18th, 2005, 05:01 PM   #1
LeRoy.

LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute
The ONE! The ONLY - Monica Seles Thread

Its time she got herself a thread here

Come in and the legend ! Post your favorite pics , talk about your fave Monica matches and anything about Monica that you want to share with her other fans !

The best part about it will be that THE TROLL is banned here and so will not be able to pollute this thread with his usual BS

LeRoy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 18th, 2005, 07:43 PM   #2
country flag tennis aus

tennis aus has much to be proud of tennis aus has much to be proud of tennis aus has much to be proud of tennis aus has much to be proud of tennis aus has much to be proud of tennis aus has much to be proud of tennis aus has much to be proud of tennis aus has much to be proud of tennis aus has much to be proud of tennis aus has much to be proud of tennis aus has much to be proud of
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me
Its time she got herself a thread here

Come in and the legend ! Post your favorite pics , talk about your fave Monica matches and anything about Monica that you want to share with her other fans !

The best part about it will be that THE TROLL is banned here and so will not be able to pollute this thread with his usual BS

awesome.
tennis aus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 08:23 PM   #3
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
It is about time she has an appreciation thread-there's a picture thread too I'll bump up.

Have fun and hope she comes back for one last hurrah efore she retires!
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 10:26 PM   #4
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
I'm actually looking forward to seeing her play again too, believe it or not. Some of the things I admire most about Monica Seles:

1. Her use of angles. With those flat two-handed shots taken early on the rise, I used to love seeing the angles she could get with pace off both sides. I don't think I've ever seen any woman ever hit angles like that;

2. Her aggressive intensity. She always went after the ball, no matter what the situation, and even if she was losing- you knew there was no quarter given, and tanking was never a thought that even remotely crossed her mind; and

3. She always presents herself well. Even years ago when her English wasn't that good, she made the effort to present herself professionally in interviews. This is good for tennis.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 11:53 PM   #5
country flag Mark43

Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold
I fell in love with Monica from the first time I saw her play at the Lipton in spring 1990. I had never seen anyone play as agressively as she did before and I knew we finally had a true rival to challenge Steffi Graf. I just didn't think she would rise so quickly! My favorite Monica match was the first French Open final aganst Graf a few months later. Monica simply amazed me in the first set tie breaker by coming back from a 2-6 deficit to take the first set. She boldly won 4 points in a row with clean winners (4 SET STRAIGHT POINTS SAVED against Graf in a slam final!!). It was simply unheard of. How could you not love this kid? Even my mother - who was not that interested in tennis now that Evert had quit and Connors, McEnroe etc were fading fast - took notice of Seles and started watching more matches. She even called me after the 1992 French final to say that she and my grandmother were glued to the tv for the entire three hours. Monica was an instant star and although I hope she is able to come back to the tour again and compete for titles, I will never forget how fierce and fabulous a competitor she was. My other main memory of that competitive fire is when she body slammed Gabriela Sabatini straight out of the French semi's in 1992, coming back from a 2-4 deficit in the blink of an eye. Gaby was well on her way to her first French final, and perhaps, title, when Monica just threw herself into every single shot and, boom... the match was over in a matter of minutes!
Mark43 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 03:32 AM   #6
AndrewTas

AndrewTas has disabled reputation
There are many matches I remember that were great matches. Each time Seles met Graf at the French Open they produced their best tennis. I remember the 1989 semi-final well. Her Australian Open final with Graf in 1993 was an instant classic with John Barrett claiming it was the best womens tennis match for years. But the one match that I remember the most was the semi-final between Seles and Capriati at the 1991 US Open. It was filled with drama and the crowd was all for the underdog and their home grown girl. Seles led a set and 3-1 but Capriati came back and served for the match at 6-5 in the third. In the tie-break the first seven points went to serve but then Seles broke through and won the over 2 hour match. Bring back tennis like this.
AndrewTas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 11:11 AM   #7
country flag samn

samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute
The Seles match I'd love to watch is the 1990 Slims quarterfinal against Sanchez-Vicario. Every article I've read about this match describes it as a fantastic one where both players would've rather died than lose.
Best left-right combination by a German (and that includes Max Schmeling): Steffi Graf. All she did in 1987 was knock Navratilova out of #1 and try to knock Evert out of the sport. (Mike Lupica in "The Best and Worst of Tennis in 1987", World Tennis)

"A couple of years ago, we nicknamed Steffi Graf's forehand 'Jaws'. And that music would go perfectly when she starts running in to the net, swarming on that little ball." (JoAnne Russell, during the 1988 Wimbledon final between Graf and Navratilova)
samn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 01:43 PM   #8
country flag Bероника
creo en la diosa ♥ Sveta ♥

Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute
Oh I miss Monica so much too At this point I'm completely negative and I don't think she'll be back.I'd be delighted she prove me wrong though...

My favpurite Monica matches are from RG 1992,the SF against Sabatini (because it involded my 2 favourite players) and the F with all that drama,and good fight from both players.These are the matches I watch over and over again.

Other favorites of mine include:

-Virginia Slims Championships 1990 Final
-Wimbledon 1992 SF
-Aus Open 1993 F
-us open 1995 F
-Aus Open 1996 SF
-Roland Garros 1998 SF + F
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 03:16 PM   #9
country flag R&J

R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute
Check out the Photo Gallery to view thousands of photos from Monica's career.

R&J is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 04:53 PM   #10
country flag Robert1

Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light
My favorite match also is the US Open semi 1991, after Capriati broke Monica in the third set a couple of times I was so sure Seles would lose but she played so creatively in her tactical game plan in the end of the match and to me, as a fan, this was such a win cause it seemed like not only Capriati was her opponent but the whole US Tennis nation. I got nuts watching it on TV.

The Virginia Slims final 1990 was a real classic, too, and her quarterfinals vs. Sanchez when nobody would bet a coin on Seles after losing the first set 6:7 (she was down 1:5, then 6:6, then 6:7).

I'm a fan since 1989, I've got most of her matches on video-tapes, I saw her play at tournaments a dozen of times, talked to her for the first time in Essen 1992, last time in Dublin 2002, and was supporting her with my whole heart whenever watching her matches live or on tele. There will never be a player in any kind of sports that I give that much amount of interest in. I like a lot of other players (not many of today's professional Tennis though, I don't care), but Monika Seles is the only one I'm a true fan of. Zaista ona je najbolja, Dovidenja.
Robert1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 07:36 PM   #11
country flag AjdeNate!
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.

AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute
Monica
AjdeNate! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 08:11 AM   #12
country flag tennis aus

tennis aus has much to be proud of tennis aus has much to be proud of tennis aus has much to be proud of tennis aus has much to be proud of tennis aus has much to be proud of tennis aus has much to be proud of tennis aus has much to be proud of tennis aus has much to be proud of tennis aus has much to be proud of tennis aus has much to be proud of tennis aus has much to be proud of
Seles' Grand Slam Matches

1992 French Open Finals
(excerpts from an archive article)

Monica Seles provided a guttural soundtrack for this most grand of Grand Slam finales today, and in the end, she didnít lose her voice or her French Open crown. Steffi Graf provided a silent and tireless threat, and after climbing back from a paralyzing first set, valiantly rescued herself from five match points. But because of the killer instincts of Seles, the No. 1 player in the world, the herculean effort by the German to reclaim a title she last held in 1988 was in vain, and she lost, 6-2, 3-6, 10-8.

For nearly three hours, the 18-year-old Seles used her spring-loaded strokes to try to discourage Graf, and she finally gained her third consecutive French Open title, and the sixth Grand Slam title of her career, when Graf made an habitual move at just the wrong time. On the sixth match point, Graf skirted her backhand in order to attack the ball with her most intimidating shot, a full-blown forehand, but instead of putting Seles into reverse, the shot was smacked into the net and cost its disappointed launcher the match.

"I was trying to be the one who was aggressive," said the 22-year-old Graf, who is ranked No. 2 in the world and would have gained her 11th Grand Slam title with a victory. "I just wish I would have played better on those big points; it definitely was a special match, but itís really difficult to feel great about it 10 minutes after itís over." The victory by Seles required 2 hours 43 minutes of effort from the participants and, more important, made the exhausted Yugoslav the first woman in 55 years to win three straight French Open titles. The last woman to have such a hold on the event was Hilde Sperling of Germany from 1935-37.

In the final set, which lasted 91 minutes, Seles served three times to end the match and had to struggle to get past Grafís most determined Grand Slam campaign since she defeated Gabriela Sabatini in last yearís Wimbledon final. "But sheís definitely a tough player, and even if itís close, and even if sheís tired, sheís always going for it," Graf said about Seles, who later agreed with that somewhat grudging but clearly accurate evaluation. "I could have stayed out there longer if I had to," Seles said. "I have that kind of personality, that even if itís taking my last breath on the court, Iím going to run for the ball."

Seles now seems invincible whenever her calendar shows a Grand Slam date. The victory today was her fifth straight in the Grand Slams in which she has played, and the fifth she has won in the last six over all. (She didnít play at the 1991 Wimbledon.) The teenager has won all six Grand Slam finals she has been in. "I think it was the most emotional match Iíve played ever, not just in a Grand Slam, but in any tournament," Seles said.

Last edited by tennis aus : Nov 20th, 2005 at 04:27 PM.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 04:15 PM   #13
country flag tennis aus

Seles' Grand Slam Matches

1993 Australian Open
(excerpts from an archive article 01/31/93)

Monica Seles ruthlessly punished Steffi Graf for missed opportunities in Melbourne, yesterday, and went on to win the seventh of the last eight Grand Slam tournaments in which she has played.

In an Australian Open final worthy of the occasion, but which had an increasing air of inevitability about it once Seles started to move ahead in the second set, the world No 1 beat the world No 2 player 4-6, 6-3, 6-2, in one hour and 49 minutes.

There were spells, before she crumpled in the middle of the final set, when Graf played to the absolute limit of her known ability. But it was still not enough to break the spirit or the steely resolve of a champion who some are already saying is the strongest women's champion of all time.

Graf, while too disappointed to appreciate how much she had contributed to a splendid final, especially the sustained high quality of the first two sets, did not need any prompting to explain why Seles had matched her own Australian Open record - and that of Evonne Goolagong - by winning this first Grand Slam event of the year for a third consecutive time.

'There were times in the second set when I wasn't aggressive enough, especially by not going for her second serve. And though there were many times when I pushed her out wide during rallies, I never came in enough to try and take advantage of that,' she said.

This was particularly so in the tense early stages of the third set when the Seles grunt, which had hardly been noticeable in the first set, started to reflect the added stress which was developing as everyone sensed that the first breakthrough would be decisive.

Serving at 2-3, 30-0, there was a classic example of Graf's repeated and disastrous reluctance to volley. Three times she unleashed ferocious forehands which had Seles running from side to side and should have been an open invitation for the German to go to the net.

She declined each time and, as often happened, was eventually beaten on a marvellous Seles return.

Indeed, Graf, who used a most unladylike German term to express her feelings, went on to lose the game -and also a chance to break back in the next when Seles, who had earlier produced one delivery which equalled the women's fastest of the week at 108mph, struck a devastating ace.

Margaret Court, who won seven consecutive Australian titles in amateur days, before 1968, and four more later, was among those who watched admiringly as Seles, despite losing the first set because of one loose game, played with such tenacity -and, often on her service returns, such ferocity.

The 39-minute first set was a treat. Both players were superb, as Graf surprisingly attacked Seles' forehand more than usual, and Seles, as ever, pummelled Graf's backhand.

Graf broke for 3-1 but was then broken back in the next game, after being unfort- unate with a baseline call which made the difference between her being 15-30 and 0-40, but in the 10th game, taking her cue from a double fault to 15-40 by Seles, she attacked the next serve well enough to snatch the set.

Graf appeared to have the rough side of another, even more crucial, call, which would have given her three break points as she fought to regain an early loss of serve in the second set. But she did not offer it as an excuse.

On the evidence of this tournament, it is difficult to see anyone taking over from Seles as the dominant force in women's tennis for some time.

Although Seles dismisses the belief that she and Graf are constantly pushing one another to improve, she now strikes the ball with greater power than anyone else in the women's game and simply refuses to be beaten.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 10:36 PM   #14
LeRoy.

LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute
Hey guys thanks for posting Love that pic of Monica holding the racquet. Thanks R&J. Thanks for the articles tennis aus.

The TROLL badrepped me for starting this thread and said that like Monica it will fizzle out soon
LeRoy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 03:12 AM   #15
country flag R&J

R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute
Check out the Photo Gallery to view thousands of photos from Monica's career.

R&J is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote