2011 All-American Championships - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 30th, 2011, 03:43 PM   #16
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2011 All-American Championships

interesting fact on the WF duo from their website;

'The highest-ranked Wake Forest doubles team in nine years, No. 7 Kayla Duncan and Kathryn Talbert'
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Nil admirari (never enthuse over things).
- Horace, Epistles
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 1st, 2011, 06:36 AM   #17
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

twitter for PQ
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Oct 1st, 2011, 09:35 PM   #18
Tennisace

Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold

Singles and doubles qualifying up: http://www.itatennis.com/Events/ITAN...llAmerican.htm
Tennisace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 05:13 AM   #19
country flag fantic

where is everybody no comments at all?
even zootennis is silent
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 06:04 AM   #20
country flag fantic

ok, posted :deadtired:
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 04:51 PM   #21
country flag form

form has disabled reputation

I'll jump in. My rant is on ranking subjectivity but that is because it really impacts All American draw and seeds. 1/2 the seeds in PQ dumped. Why does this politically driven Regional Ranking Committee get to make pre-season individual rankings?

Why not just take last June's final computer ranking... delete seniors and players who did not return... and then run the list. The missing 30-40 are on the unprinted list... just start where we ended last year.

The most subjective of all was Carling Seguso of UCLA.

Carling Seguso, # 102, really? and thus a seeded entry at All America, really?

As expected a quick 2, 2 loss in first round at All American. She should NOT BE IN ALL AMERICAN. She is UCLA's # 7-8 with no ranked wins in forever and a day. Ok, you wear that uniform but you still have to earn it. Just because you are # 8 on a top 10 team does not gift you what you have not earned. You should not get credit for just wearing the right uniform.

There are other questionable questions about first of season rankings... inclusions, ommissions of names on last June's regional rankings, and some huge jumps that make no sense other than speculating on motivations?

But Seguso is the most 'subjective' on the list and in All American. She lept a ton of girls and has virtually no ranking points (all her wins at # 6 vs unranked players) but the 'committee' subjectively kissed the Columbia blue uniforms once again. There are other more worthy players that should have been granted entry first... much less that Seguso was 'seeded' because they used these goofy pre season rankings to establish seeding.

Just makes you shake your head. And this first ranking now becomes the baseline for the rest of the year. Future 'subjective rankings' start here... and then the first computer ranking has to use the last 'subjective' ranking as it's baseline.

Change the system... they already don't rank freshman in the first list. Then just start the pre-season 'individual' rankings using last year's final computer rankings less the seniors/departed. That's a list with much more data than hunch.

End of rant

Last edited by form : Oct 2nd, 2011 at 04:58 PM.
form is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 01:31 AM   #22
country flag Inger67

Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute

Go Sam Critser!
TT Singles Current Ranking: #1 (CH Ranking: #1)
Titles(6): Linz 2014, Cincinnati 2014, Wimbledon 2014, Marrakech 2014, Quebec City 2012, Cincinnati 2011
TT Doubles Current Ranking: #28 (CH Ranking: #8)
Titles(6): Cincinnati 2014, Bucharest 2014, Tokyo 2012 (w/New_balls_please), Stanford 2012, Carlsbad 2011, Osaka 2011 (w/rvugt)
Inger67 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 02:30 AM   #23
country flag cowsonice

cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic View Post
Only Santamaria is playing of those 5
Santamaria is probably the only girl out of those 5 who has improved/upped her form since signing (or even since her CIF win)

Xepoleas has especially fallen since signing.

Faves: Sharapova, Hantuchova, Safarova, Goerges
GO BEARS!
cowsonice is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 03:55 AM   #24
country flag fantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilee27 View Post
Santamaria is probably the only girl out of those 5 who has improved/upped her form since signing (or even since her CIF win)

Xepoleas has especially fallen since signing.
Lynda did win a Summer Circuit Didn't she do fairly well at a recent college tourney?
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 03:56 AM   #25
country flag fantic

form...are you not happy that Anais advanced?

I personally thought Seguso was good..she's quite a power hitter. Too bad she sucked here Bad timing I guess
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 05:38 AM   #26
country flag cowsonice

cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future

Quote:
Lynda did win a Summer Circuit Didn't she do fairly well at a recent college tourney?
Summer circuit? Which one? All I see on her tennisrecruiting page are some results worthy of especially with somebody of her game and previous results.

Faves: Sharapova, Hantuchova, Safarova, Goerges
GO BEARS!
cowsonice is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 01:49 PM   #27
country flag fantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilee27 View Post
Summer circuit? Which one? All I see on her tennisrecruiting page are some results worthy of especially with somebody of her game and previous results.
This one

I was there and she won the matches pretty easily.

And I'm surprised you know her, she's not the creme de la creme (I actually was surprised with her being ranked so high on that site ). But she definitely has potential, her drives are
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 02:35 PM   #28
country flag fantic

also, Seguso with Schnack was the only player who won (or winning, or tied ) the singles at College Station against Miami. Really, she's not that bad
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles

Last edited by fantic : Oct 3rd, 2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 03:27 PM   #29
country flag fantic

I can't cover Thursday Can't exactly stay till the end during Tues and Weds either
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 04:17 PM   #30
country flag form

form has disabled reputation

Quote:
form...are you not happy that Anais advanced?

I personally thought Seguso was good..she's quite a power hitter. Too bad she sucked here Bad timing I guess

I am very happy for a really nice young lady, a hard worker, a good tennis player who has embrassed the challenge nd opportunity of college tennis. Too many don't. She's also an excellent student. She is extremely popular with the boosters and it was nice to hear 5-7 boosters each day drove up to UCLA just to watch her.

Otherwise, I did not comment on her because I am trying to not be a HOMER on the board. Perhaps in fear of being deleted since I am not one of the board moderators!

Regards Seguso... there are lots of good players in the NCAA's and certainly she is a nice player. Has she earned a top tournament entry like this (top 140 to enter this tourney)... NO.

There are a lot of other #1's and #2's in the country that play at a higher level, or even play in the line up, day in and day out more deserving that UCLA's # 7-8.

And how in god's name is she ranked? Which points out the 'little league parent' type politics that occur in junior and college tennis sometimes. Let the athletes play no matter there uniform color. It will all wash out.. the beauty of an individual sport.
form is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote