2011-2012 Rankings - Page 9 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 26th, 2012, 07:15 AM   #121
country flag davidjaime

davidjaime is just really nice davidjaime is just really nice davidjaime is just really nice davidjaime is just really nice davidjaime is just really nice davidjaime is just really nice davidjaime is just really nice davidjaime is just really nice davidjaime is just really nice davidjaime is just really nice davidjaime is just really nice
Re: 2011-2012 Rankings

SHAME on Arizona for entering the score twice, done with every intention! Lacey now gets 2 wins over #11 Dy, who will now see her ranking tumble even lower. Dy cant catch a break! Playing that match while being injured has cost her and now 2 loses to # 79
Advertisement

Old Mar 26th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #122
country flag davidjaime

davidjaime is just really nice davidjaime is just really nice davidjaime is just really nice davidjaime is just really nice davidjaime is just really nice davidjaime is just really nice davidjaime is just really nice davidjaime is just really nice davidjaime is just really nice davidjaime is just really nice davidjaime is just really nice

I went ahead and email head coach at Washington. I agree with the previous post Arizona should be penalized!
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 06:42 PM   #123
country flag johnnytennis

johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouci View Post
#94 Khunpak Issara upsets #50 Marianne Jodoin 6-2,6-2.

- Pulling a fast one Fresno St. enters Issara's win as being over Laura Pola who plays #7 off the bench.

- Issara will be scratching her head wondering why her ranking didn't go up. Let's see how long it takes the Pepperdine coach to catch the mistake.
It's probably more incompetence then anything! So many of these SID's or whoever enters the information on the website don't have a clue what they're doing on a lot of things so I'll give the coaches a little break on this issue!
johnnytennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #124
country flag tennisbuddy12
College Tennis/Team USA expert

tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytennis View Post
It's probably more incompetence then anything! So many of these SID's or whoever enters the information on the website don't have a clue what they're doing on a lot of things so I'll give the coaches a little break on this issue!
Sometimes both schools enter matches, even though the social norm is the home team doing it. A friend of mine recently became an assistant coach at a small D1 school and she was never informed on the protocol. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt, but for a major school to do that is wrong.

tennisbuddy12 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 09:26 PM   #125
country flag johnnytennis

johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice

These rankings look so flawed!
http://www.itatennis.com/AwardsAndRa...gs_3_27_12.htm
johnnytennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 12:50 AM   #126
country flag Amalgamate

Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future

I don't understand the Miami thing at all...
Amalgamate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 04:34 AM   #127
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand the Duke thing either Barely beats UVA at home and surpasses USC
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Nil admirari (never enthuse over things).
- Horace, Epistles
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 04:45 AM   #128
country flag 10sE

10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all

It's a formula and it doesn't take into consideration margin of victory or defeat so 7-0 and 4-3 are the same. A win is a win and a loss is a loss.

The formula considers what a team is currently ranked (so this week's ranking is based on victories/losses against what each particular team was ranked last week, not when the match was played). A team is assigned a value: The higher the rank the more points you get for beating them and the less points you have taken away for losing to them.

A certain amount of wins are considered - just a few at the beginning of the season and building up to the end of the season when a team's 10 best wins are counted. This is why you see some strange teams in the rankings at the beginning but by the end of the season it is mostly teams that play strong schedules. A team that plays in a weak conference will suffer at the end of the year when the ACC/Pac-12/SEC are playing ranked matches every week and accumulating 10 good wins while others are not.

All losses are counted (which seems like a definite flaw...why limit the # of wins counted but count ALL losses?). The singles & doubles formulas follow the same principle, although I believe more than 10 matches are counted (although again, all losses are counted).

The main flaw in the formula is that too many losses are counted and losses penalize a team/player/doubles pair too severely. This is why you see (particularly at the beginning of a season) teams or players with soft schedules but high winning % ranked high. This corrects itself by the end of the season when more wins are counted, but what is the point of releasing rankings that are so incorrect? Why not adjust the formula so that it is accurate throughout the year?

Anyway I think we all agree that the rankings of some teams are way off, but at least knowing what it is based on can help you make sense of why a team is ranked what it is ranked.
10sE is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 04:48 AM   #129
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

thx for the explanation, I know there's a reason, but still

also dbls is..funny too

1 Sofie Oyen Allie Will University of Florida
2 Kaitlyn Christian Sabrina Santamaria University of Southern California
3 Mallory Burdette Nicole Gibbs Stanford
4 Shinann Featherston Lauren McHale North Carolina
5 Kristy Frilling Shannon Mathews University of Notre Dame

Can't understand USC at #2, while STAN is #3

I fear...STAN must be wanting blood tomorrow against the Rebels
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #130
country flag fantic

I always suspected ACC teams of being overranked but hey, it's the benefit of the parity of their conference. All are strong and moreover, there is no super-dominant team either, so the competition is fierce and it get's reflected on the team rankings, is my guess.
I see Big Ten is heading into that direction too.

Now, if only Pac 12 can go that way too (mantra; 'empire' is evil! monopoly is evil! )
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 08:34 PM   #131
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic View Post
I always suspected ACC teams of being overranked but hey, it's the benefit of the parity of their conference. All are strong and moreover, there is no super-dominant team either, so the competition is fierce and it get's reflected on the team rankings, is my guess.
I see Big Ten is heading into that direction too.

Now, if only Pac 12 can go that way too (mantra; 'empire' is evil! monopoly is evil! )

Definitely an interesting point about the ACC, I never thought about it before, but feels true.

and haha... but, I'm feeling good about the PAC-12. Stanford misses Kristie's play, but they are still strong. Both UCLA and USC are extremely strong, and with a lot of strength in Freshman, so likely to stay. Then new girl that Cal picked up, may not total replace Juricova, but she is a legitimate top player. And their team is coached well, and they get a lot out of the talent they have. Utah is surprisingly strong. And, this weekend, I've got a chance to look at the Arizona teams.

Last edited by 2nd_serve : Mar 29th, 2012 at 08:51 PM.
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 03:35 AM   #132
country flag fantic

yeah but still a long way to reach the parity like ACC, in which EVERY teams seems to win the conference championship

STAN should go DOWN (But with Krista incoming this Fall NOT HAPPENING any time soon ) and Oregon needs to step up Now, if they could get Dasha Ivanova who's a local gal there (Dasha whatever you do just don't go to Stanford )
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #133
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

Women's National Team Rankings
Administered by the ITA
NCAA Division I Tennis
April 10, 2012

Rank Avg School Previous Ranking
1 79.34 UCLA 1
2 73.52 University of Florida 2
3 70.52 Duke University 3
4 63.78 University of Southern California 4
5 61.88 North Carolina 8
6 58.95 Stanford 6
7 58.77 University of Alabama 11
8 57.95 University of Georgia 5
9 57.31 University of Miami (Florida) 7
10 54.91 California 9
11 54.78 Northwestern University 14
12 52.59 Baylor University 12
13 52.30 University of Texas at Austin 10
14 46.97 University of Michigan 15
15 46.85 University of Virginia 13
16 44.91 University of Mississippi 16
17 44.78 University of Nebraska 17
18 37.96 Clemson University 24
19 37.37 University of Notre Dame 18
20 36.95 Texas A&M University 21
21 36.75 University of Tennessee 22
22 35.72 Texas Tech University 20
23 34.22 University of Illinois 19
24 33.07 Vanderbilt University 23
25 30.13 Georgia Tech 25
26 27.87 University of Tulsa 26
27 25.71 University of South Carolina 32
28 24.49 Yale University 27
29 23.88 University of Arizona 28
30 21.30 Arizona State University 29
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 02:54 AM   #134
country flag Amalgamate

Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future

UNC and Alabama are over-ranked.

With healthy teams, Cal and UVA are under-ranked. (UVA by a lot)

Last edited by Amalgamate : Apr 11th, 2012 at 03:02 AM.
Amalgamate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 04:40 AM   #135
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all

4/10 Singles Rankings

125. Suhaila Jad - South Carolina St. #1 singles
125. Maria Craciun - South Carolina St. #3 singles
125. Sabrina Mendez - South Carolina St. #4 singles

If the season ended today Suhaila Jad would steal an NCAA singles bid.

Their coach has a nice strategy of not playing any fall tournaments. Then his players go undefeated in their weak non-conference schedule, gets ranked and is awarded an NCAA singles auto bid for the MEAC.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote