Womens Tennis in General - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 8th, 2011, 06:59 PM   #61
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Womens Tennis in General

Pav could have won that first set, but she didn't believe she could and so she didn't.
Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 8th, 2011, 07:03 PM   #62
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burisleif View Post
Why? Make zero sense to me and no doubt to Caro... you play whomever is there.
Because if she reaches a slam final or even wins it beating no top player it will take away from the accomplishment... the media will point out how the draw fell apart etc.

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 07:08 PM   #63
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
Because if she reaches a slam final or even wins it beating no top player it will take away from the accomplishment... the media will point out how the draw fell apart etc.
The media....who cares? You still have to beat the one who beat the one when that happens.
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 07:16 PM   #64
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm honestly surprised and disappointed you think that way...

The media will spin what ever the feel like... They stopped reporting a long time ago and turned into policy driving mechanism... Stuff the media.
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 07:18 PM   #65
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
The media....who cares? You still have to beat the one who beat the one when that happens.
Everybody does, in case you haven't noticed. In order to get really rid of the slamless-stigma, she needs to win her first one in a big fashion and that includes beating a player like Serena along the way.

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 07:19 PM   #66
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

Quote:
I'm honestly surprised and disappointed you think that way...
Why? Wouldn't we all take more satisfaction in her first slam if she beats a top player for it? I don't want her to succeed because of a lucky draw or because other people's inabbilities. And I don't think Caro wants that either... she wants to prove she's the best...and not just the least-unfortunate.

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 07:27 PM   #67
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Why? Wouldn't we all take more satisfaction in her first slam if she beats a top player for it? I don't want her to succeed because of a lucky draw or because other people's inabbilities. And I don't think Caro wants that either... she wants to prove she's the best...and not just the least-unfortunate.
I honestly don't care who she beats on the way to a slam. I'm not super bothered about the slam...

Sport has bugger all to do with who you beat. you play who gets to the next round.

Putting conditions on a win is frankly absurd.

And no I don't care what the media say... neither did I care what the little shits in the playground said or any other form of legitimate or illegitimate lynch mob. I'm perfectly comfortable making my own reasoned opinions and conclusions. As such I boycott unreasonable media sources, and vote on their performance with my wallet, and the regulatory authorities if needed. The world is what we make it.
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #68
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Everybody does, in case you haven't noticed. In order to get really rid of the slamless-stigma, she needs to win her first one in a big fashion and that includes beating a player like Serena along the way.
Jimmie, I can promise you 'death and taxes' are for sure. I can also promise you, even Caroline wipes out Serena Williams and wipes out whomever is facing her in the final, muppets in GM will still find a way to detract from her achievement and post their insults.

I can also promise you, media people like Matt Cronin and this discount French ballbasher academy leader will do the same. So will whatshername Caprillo (?) ..

Best advice given by Chrissie: 'Fuck the media opinion'.

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 09:39 PM   #69
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Sigh. Flavia loses the 3rd set 6-3 after being up 3-1. That was probably Flavia's best chance to ever make a grand slam semi.
Protoss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #70
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

So Kerber makes the semis and absolutely nobody in Germany even cares. There's like zero tennis coverage in the mainstream media, a real shame that her success goes completely unnoticed.

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 09:51 PM   #71
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
It's a pointless discussion by now since getting past Serena will be the only possible road to the title.

But for the sake of argument. who you beat is only really a point of discussion immediately after your victory. In the long run the only thing that's important is that your name is on the trophee. Besides - if Serena would have lost today it would have been HER failure, not Caroline's. Caroline can't win Serena's matches for her, so I don't see how Serena not making it could be held against Caroline.
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 09:55 PM   #72
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So Kerber makes the semis and absolutely nobody in Germany even cares. There's like zero tennis coverage in the mainstream media, a real shame that her success goes completely unnoticed.
It's kind of funny that it's Kerber that makes the US Open semis and not Petkovic, Lisicki, or Goerges.

How much media coverage did the other German women get?
Protoss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 09:58 PM   #73
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
Sigh. Flavia loses the 3rd set 6-3 after being up 3-1. That was probably Flavia's best chance to ever make a grand slam semi.
HUGE upset for me. I expected Flavia to win that one easily.
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 10:14 PM   #74
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
I honestly don't care who she beats on the way to a slam. I'm not super bothered about the slam...
It would be AMAZING if she could do it. I would be very happy, and more importantly SHE would be very happy. But in all objectivity, she IS a huge underdog against Serena, and we shouldn't be too upset let alone hold it against Caroline if she wouldn't make it. Really, this has been a GREAT USO for her. In fact, it's hard to believe what she has achieved when you consider how we were talking just a few weeks ago.
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 10:18 PM   #75
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
How much media coverage did the other German women get?
Very little, Petkovic sometimes gets some coverage because of her antics but it's all well-hidden, even in sports newspapers. None of the tournaments are on the network TV channels, only Wimbledon was on SKY Sport which is a pay channel though as well. Eurosport is not really that popular with casual sport fans, you need some network coverage to get people interested.

It seems to me that tennis is only popular to people who play themselves, the casual sports fan who watches sports on tv don't care anymore. It was very different during the Becker/Graf era when Tennis was one of the most popular TV sports, only rivaled by football (soccer). But those times are long gone, that's why Germany has been losing all the tournaments as well. We´re lucky to still have Stuttgart I guess...

When I tell friends that I´m a fan of Caro I usually have to explain who she is, even to people who follow sports on TV. The only time tennis makes a mainstream media appearance is in tabloids when Sharapova has made another bikini-shooting and they have a "the hottest tennis babes" kind of thing. But the interest in the sport is very low...

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter