Womens Tennis in General - Page 326 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 08:46 PM   #4876
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Womens Tennis in General

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. W. Fields View Post
Petrova wins 6-7(8), 6-1, 6-4 after more than 2½ hrs. The decisive difference was Vinci going 0/10 on BPs.
Caro - Petrova final at 5 pm CET tomorrow. I'm glad it's NP rather than a second match against Vinci, it should be the two highest ranked players contesting the title. But all things being equal, I consider Caro a pretty big favorite. Not only is she 4-1 H2H, NP has also played matches going the full distance the last three days. That can't help but leave a mark on a 30 yo, however strong she may be.
It's a little odd to wait for a match where Caro should be the better rested! How many times haven't we been worried about Caro's stamina late in a tournament where she has been grinding out one long win after another? Or a new tournament starting soon after a deep run in the previous one? Now for once the shoe is on the other foot!
Watching Nadia today pretty much confirmed what I felt. She has a great 1st serve - so if that % is high - I'd expect her to get some easy points against Caro tomorrow. Hope Caro's ROS is working well tomorrow. But Nadia did make a ton of horrible UEs today. I think Caro should win by default if Nadia plays like today. But I don't want Caro to sit back and just hope she gets UEs.

The match confirmed what I thought - that Nadia's movement is her weakness. I'd really like to see Caro try to take control of a lot of the points tomorrow and try to exploit Nadia's movement. Move her around.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 09:25 PM   #4877
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
Watching Nadia today pretty much confirmed what I felt. She has a great 1st serve - so if that % is high - I'd expect her to get some easy points against Caro tomorrow. Hope Caro's ROS is working well tomorrow. But Nadia did make a ton of horrible UEs today. I think Caro should win by default if Nadia plays like today. But I don't want Caro to sit back and just hope she gets UEs.

The match confirmed what I thought - that Nadia's movement is her weakness. I'd really like to see Caro try to take control of a lot of the points tomorrow and try to exploit Nadia's movement. Move her around.
An interesting detail is that Nadia got a new coach this year, Ricardo Sanchez, and apparently they're working well together. He may be able to share a few Caro insights, but nothing that should change Caro's status as favorite. And the top players know each other so well on court there are few surprises between them anyway.
Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 10:21 PM   #4878
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
An interesting detail is that Nadia got a new coach this year, Ricardo Sanchez, and apparently they're working well together. He may be able to share a few Caro insights, but nothing that should change Caro's status as favorite. And the top players know each other so well on court there are few surprises between them anyway.
Oh yes - I thought about Sanchez when I was watching. Adds a bit of interest. In the match today - I saw Ricardo jumping up and down and putting the palm of his hands down wonder what that meant. Then yesterday - saw lots of Piotr shaking his head when Daro failed to take a BP but once even when Caro won a point. . We have a battle of the players and a battle of the coaches who for sure will come on and do their on-court coaching bit. Not that I believe that will make much difference in practice. It's up to the players.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 07:14 AM   #4879
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
True that, however, he wasn´t coaching her for too long so he probably doesn´t have a profound knowledge of her strategies. I think that this match is not only btw Caro and Nadia but also a little bit btw Piotr and Ricardo
marineblue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 07:46 AM   #4880

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

This is what the top 32 rankings, the probable seeds for AO will look like tomorrow (except the winner of Sofia will have an extra 120 points).
Petrova rises to #12, good for her. Like I mentioned earlier, that can make a big difference in AO R16.
Caro is back in top 10. It would be nice to have her as one of the top 8 seeds for AO. But while she has a small chance to pass Stosur in the rankings before the AO draw if she wins both Sofia and Brisbane, she'd still need a top 8 withdrawal. Most likely she'll be in the 9-12 group, facing a 5-8 player in R16. I'd definitely prefer Errani from that bunch. I still can't quite see Errani as a serious top 8 player, but I shouldn't say too many bad things about her since it'd be pretty much the same things bashers say about Caro! I'd like to see how Caro matches up against this new and improved Errani on HC.
But before that, Caro probably faces a 17-24 seed in 3R. If Venus enters AO as the 24 seed, Caro - Venus could be a very interesting match. Caro's still 0-4 against her from their matches when she was 16-17 yo. I hope she gets a new chance to play Venus before she retires.

Edit: The difference between being the the 8th or the 10th seed at AO really shows in the possible 3R opponents. Against all the current 25-32 players, I'd consider Caro a huge favorite on HC. In the 17-24 group there are players like Goerges, Safarova and Venus, matches closer to 50-50. I'd like to see Caro play Venus, but if the American is having one of her good days, Caro's a small favorite at best.

Last edited by C. W. Fields : Nov 4th, 2012 at 08:29 AM. Reason: .
C. W. Fields is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 11:04 AM   #4881
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Incredible match from Ana Ivanovic against Kvitova today. True - Petra was a bit under the weather, but she nevertheless played a pretty decent match......But Ana looked like an all time great out there, especially in the first set where she played perhaps the best tennis I've ever seen from her. Even so, wouldn't it have been Ana-like to play a good match and still implode at the last minute? Didn't happen this time. During the off-season she should watch the video of this match at least once a day to build up her confidence and to remind herself how good she can be.

Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 12:57 PM   #4882
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineblue View Post
JJ looks like she is done.....
A pity, but I think you're right. I don't know if the problem is mental or physical or a bit of both, but her two matches here confirmed that she has nothing left. Not that she looks absolutely awfull making obscene numbers of UE or something like that, but the sparkle has gone out of her game. I hope she can somehow find it back because she's a charismatic character, but we've been saying that for several years now, and in 2012 the decline has been much worse than previously. In the past there were at least still matches and even tournaments where some of the old magic resurfaced, but this year there has been virtually nothing to give her some hope.

Happy for Safarova though. Great to see the supposed supporting act of the Czech team becoming the heroine in the end. Career highlight for her, so well done.

Old Nov 9th, 2012, 04:39 PM   #4883

Donna Vekic lost her QF in Pune against Tanasugarn. That means she'll be ranked #109/110 for the season, just on the edge for direct access to AO. She should probably try to improve her ranking at bit more before the AO draw, maybe try to get into one of the two Internationals in week 1.
Petkovic still has the chance to win the tournament and get near top 100 again. She could be a big floater for AO!
Old Nov 9th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #4884
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

It would be great if Petkovic managed to make it, she needs points desperately. It is a shame what happened to her, but she was a bit careless with her injuries.
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 03:38 PM   #4885

Date-Krumm has reached the final in Pune, not bad by a 42 yo! In the final she will face a player less than half her age, 18 yo Svitolina from Ukraine (who beat Petkovic in SF).
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 01:50 PM   #4886

Svitolina wins 2 & 3. Too bad for Kimiko, winning Pune would have been a nice finish.
Old Nov 19th, 2012, 05:18 PM   #4887

Gisela Dulko has retired from pro tennis. I wish her the best in her new life. Caro got to play her 4 times, winning 3 of their matches. Their last meet was AO 2011 1R, Caro's first GS match as world #1. I remember being a bit worried before the match, Gulko being one of the most dangerous unseeds (as Sharapova can attest to). Caro won fairly comfortably 6-3, 6-4, but as this Shot of the Day can attest to, the Argentinian was definitely dangerous.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgZif...eature=related
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 02:06 PM   #4888
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Who says that Maria Sharapova doesn't have a sense of humour? Gotta love her.

Old Dec 6th, 2012, 08:01 AM   #4889

Donna Vekic is confirmed as first time GS MD at AO13. Good for her!

Last edited by C. W. Fields : Dec 6th, 2012 at 08:30 AM.
C. W. Fields is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 08:50 AM   #4890
marineblue

Wow, that's quite something for a teenager. I think she will be good, maybe she'll start winning titles next year.