Womens Tennis in General - Page 324 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 1st, 2012, 09:27 PM   #4846
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Womens Tennis in General

Vinci wins 1 & 2 to take the 2nd SF spot.
Hantuchova - Hsieh tomorrow has no importance as far as advancement goes butI think they'll fight for the points. They're ranked #27 and #32, so they're on the edge of being seeds for AO and the point difference between a win and a loss tomorrow could be the difference between being a seed or not, especially for Dani.
Advertisement

Old Nov 1st, 2012, 11:38 PM   #4847

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

From Sofia Arvidsson's blog: "I may not get to play a match in Sofia but at least I got my name on the court. Feels good."
She's a funny girl! And she does get to play in Sofia, first match Friday against Zheng.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sofia.jpg (24.9 KB, 10 views)
Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 10:14 AM   #4848

We've been very focused on how Caro could advance to #10 if she reaches the final undefeated, but something I hadn't noticed earlier, Petrova also has a fairly important advancement to fight for. If my math is correct, reaching the final undefeated will advance her from #13 to #12. That's a pretty significant difference at AO, where she'll be facing a player from the #5-8 group in R16 instead of one from the #1-4 group.
Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 12:01 PM   #4849

I send a question to Dani's TOC blog and she answered! Yay me/her!

What's the court speed and texture like in Sofia? Torben
That's actually a very good question. The first thing is the altitude - it's about 600m here, so it's kind of like Madrid, where the balls are flying really fast. It makes it very hard to control your shots, so I think that's why in the first few matches here the rallies weren't that long. On the other hand, the court surface is quite slow, so overall it's tricky, because when the ball comes slowly, it can just stop; but then you have to be careful not to overhit it. But aside from that, the stadium is beautiful and we all have our own locker rooms, personalized cars and so on, and we're all really enjoying everything here

It's interesting how most of us have viewed the court as quite fast but she says the surface is actually fairly slow, it's the thin air that makes for the fast play.
And if the balls are hard to control in Sofia/Madrid at 600 m, imagine what it'll be like if YEC will next be hosted in Mexico City which is at 2200 m!

Last edited by C. W. Fields : Nov 2nd, 2012 at 12:12 PM.
C. W. Fields is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 04:46 PM   #4850

Wozilroy are in the stands, watching Petrova - Pironkova (3-3 first set).
Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 04:47 PM   #4851
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Caro and Rory is watching the Pironkova - Petrova match .. Good to see they didn't just go shopping ..

It's 3-3 after a break each, but I'll suppose Petrova will win in the end, so it will be Pironkova in the SF and likely Petrova, should Caro reach the final.

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 04:56 PM   #4852
country flag Jorn
Good Luck Caro in 2014!

Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute

TP leads 5-4*

Caroline Wozniacki Result page
Caroline Wozniacki tennis Forums
Jorn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 05:25 PM   #4853

Pironkova took first set 7-5 but Petrova is up a break in the second, 2-0.
Duble break now, 3-0.
It looks like a 3-setter and a somewhat tired opponent for Caro tomorrow!

Last edited by C. W. Fields : Nov 2nd, 2012 at 05:31 PM.
C. W. Fields is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 07:04 PM   #4854
country flag Jorn
Good Luck Caro in 2014!

Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute

Petrova won 57 62(?) 63.

Caroline Wozniacki Result page
Caroline Wozniacki tennis Forums
Jorn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 01:53 PM   #4855
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. W. Fields View Post
I send a question to Dani's TOC blog and she answered! Yay me/her!

What's the court speed and texture like in Sofia? Torben
That's actually a very good question. The first thing is the altitude - it's about 600m here, so it's kind of like Madrid, where the balls are flying really fast. It makes it very hard to control your shots, so I think that's why in the first few matches here the rallies weren't that long. On the other hand, the court surface is quite slow, so overall it's tricky, because when the ball comes slowly, it can just stop; but then you have to be careful not to overhit it. But aside from that, the stadium is beautiful and we all have our own locker rooms, personalized cars and so on, and we're all really enjoying everything here

It's interesting how most of us have viewed the court as quite fast but she says the surface is actually fairly slow, it's the thin air that makes for the fast play.
And if the balls are hard to control in Sofia/Madrid at 600 m, imagine what it'll be like if YEC will next be hosted in Mexico City which is at 2200 m!
This type of surface was rated medium fast by the Itf which makes it a bit odd that Hantuchova said it was quite slow.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 01:55 PM   #4856
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
Beck is a solid player, she's a good retriever and a hard worker but I think her potential is somewhat limited. She has a weak serve (even for women's tennis standards) and is prone to getting outhit, Hradecka absolutely killed her in their Luxembourg match, she can be absolutely helpless on court. Much like Dinah Pfizenmaier, she's solid enough to make it into the Top 50-70 but I'll doubt she'll go further.

The most promising German talents are a little younger, both Antonia Lottner and Carina Witthöft have a bigger chance to make it big in my mind. Witthöft will turn 18 early next year, she's narrowly missing out on being eligible for the AO Qualies but watch her next year, her time will come. Lottner is even younger (16) but maybe even more talented, these two are the future of German women's tennis if everything goes to plan.
Are Lisicki, Goerges, Kerber, and Barthel not viewed as the future of German women's tennis? They're still relatively young with all 4 of them in the 22 to 24 years of age range.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 01:58 PM   #4857
country flag Protoss

I gotta say that it bothers me some that Serena won the Olympics, US Open, and the YEC (18 matches) while dropping only 1 set. Where's the competition?
Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 02:30 PM   #4858
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Safarova gives the Czechs' chance of winning the Fed Cup a huge boost by beating Ivanovic in the first match. For the Serbs to win they must win three of the four singles matches because the Czechs have a much better doubles team. I think the chance of that happening is very slim now.

Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 05:52 PM   #4859
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Safarova gives the Czechs' chance of winning the Fed Cup a huge boost by beating Ivanovic in the first match. For the Serbs to win they must win three of the four singles matches because the Czechs have a much better doubles team. I think the chance of that happening is very slim now.
It's pretty impossible now after Petra's win. Serbia were always huge underdogs though. JJ is way past her best and a huge ask to beat Petra. The one thing JJ had is her huge patriosm and she has that attitude like the Europeans in the Ryder Cup when she plays Fed Cup. But problem now is - Petra has the weapons and is a much better player now and the Fed Cup means everything to her too. She always plays well in Fed Cup.

JJ and Ana both there in their heyday - it could have been different. But Serbia had to get up two groups to get into WG1 first. And then Serbia wasted another 2 years flip flopping down and up groups until they got into WG1 and sorry - but I blame Ana for not making herself available so many times and being so lukewarm about playing back then.

Now this year - Ana has given everything. She played her heart out today. If only a few years back she'd done that ...

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 05:53 PM   #4860

Petrova survives a SP, 5-5. All holds so far. Errani is in the stands, watching her doubles partner.