Womens Tennis in General - Page 319 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Reply

Old Oct 25th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #4771
marineblue
Senior Member
 
marineblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,543
marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Womens Tennis in General

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. W. Fields View Post
Serena is really in her opponent's head. She has won all her matches in straight sets despite not playing particularly well in any of them, she has simply made her opponents play worse. Ironically, that's exactly what so many bashers used to accuse Caro of doing when she was #1!
Well, as usual, bashers are never very consistent with their opinion.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old Oct 25th, 2012, 10:34 PM   #4772
country flag goldenlox
Senior Member
 
goldenlox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: cyberspace
Posts: 84,461
goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Womens Tennis in General

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineblue View Post
Well, as usual, bashers are never very consistent with their opinion.
Oh it was idiots gone wild
The funniest was that Kvitova was the real #1. She still has never spent a moment at #1. I think she'd down to 8 next week, and she has AO SF points to defend
That was just crazy, and its still going on, with Serena & Vika threads
__________________
The most wasted of all days is one without laughter....
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there
Enjoy This Moment!!
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2012, 06:50 PM   #4773
marineblue
Senior Member
 
marineblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,543
marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Womens Tennis in General

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
Oh it was idiots gone wild
The funniest was that Kvitova was the real #1. She still has never spent a moment at #1. I think she'd down to 8 next week, and she has AO SF points to defend
That was just crazy, and its still going on, with Serena & Vika threads
I know, she's become a bit of a joke in GM thanks to this 'real no.1' , KvittyGOAT hype spread by the crazier proportions of her fans. I noticed the new thread about real no1 and just had to laugh because people who were bashing players like Caro,Safina or JJ are now also bashing Vika even though she won a GS title.
That's just shows how much of a non-argument 'real no.1' is.

Serena owns Vika, I'm not arguing against that, however she is not a real no.1 because she simply doesn't have the points. Same like it was when Safina was a no.1 or whoever that took that ranking.
If Vika loses YEC,which I think she will, I think the press might start spouting the real no.1 nonsense again.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #4774
country flag CWTennis
Senior Member
 
CWTennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,940
CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Womens Tennis in General

the fck, this match will never end
__________________
Caroline''Sunshine'' Wozniacki

You got yourself some haterZ
Hope they choke on Now and Laters™

CWTennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2012, 07:56 PM   #4775
country flag Robert77
Junior Member
 
Robert77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 20
Robert77 has disabled reputation
Re: Womens Tennis in General

Aga won 6-7 7-5 6-4! Aga aginst Serena in SF YEC Istanbul 2012 .
Very, very tough match, 3h 30m !!! Stats Aga 53W / 43UE Sara 49W / 47UE.
Both looked extremely tired. It's first Aga's SF YEC. Well done Aga.
Robert77 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #4776
country flag goldenlox
Senior Member
 
goldenlox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: cyberspace
Posts: 84,461
goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Womens Tennis in General

Li had 2 points to go up a double break. Both very makeable, and missed both. Vika wins set 1, hard to see Li winning 2 sets now, unless she plays a lot steadier
__________________
The most wasted of all days is one without laughter....
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there
Enjoy This Moment!!
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2012, 08:56 PM   #4777
marineblue
Senior Member
 
marineblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,543
marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Womens Tennis in General

I watched the first set and a bit of second. Li has gifted all important points to Azarenka. She doesn't have the cool head necessary to finish the job in tight situations. I can't see her winning second set neither.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 01:45 AM   #4778
country flag terjw
Senior Member
 
terjw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,659
terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Womens Tennis in General

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
Oh it was idiots gone wild
The funniest was that Kvitova was the real #1. She still has never spent a moment at #1. I think she'd down to 8 next week, and she has AO SF points to defend
That was just crazy, and its still going on, with Serena & Vika threads
Yes. I find these "real #1" posts annoying. But in fairness to Petra - she may never have actually got to #1 - but I certainly thought she had a great 2011 and was the best player overall that year despite Caro actually being Y/E #1. My opinion only switched from Caro to Petra the last two or three tournaments of the year. They both won 6 tournaments that year but Petra had Wimbledon and YEC

That's not to say I think the rankings are discredited or that Caro winning two successive YE #1s wasn't a great achievement. But in my own mind - I thought Petra was the best that year.

But the way some posters go - you'd think they want to change the ranking system at the end so as to give Petra the Y/E #1. I'm sure Petra herself would be horrified at the thought and would not want the #1 like that by changing the rules. But it was absolutely right that she got the POW which she can be proud of.

Of course - how things have changed.
__________________
Caroline Wozniacki

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters

Last edited by terjw : Oct 27th, 2012 at 01:54 AM.
terjw is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 07:57 AM   #4779
country flag DownInAHole
Senior Member
 
DownInAHole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 8,179
DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Womens Tennis in General

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
Yes. I find these "real #1" posts annoying. But in fairness to Petra - she may never have actually got to #1 - but I certainly thought she had a great 2011 and was the best player overall that year despite Caro actually being Y/E #1. My opinion only switched from Caro to Petra the last two or three tournaments of the year. They both won 6 tournaments that year but Petra had Wimbledon and YEC

That's not to say I think the rankings are discredited or that Caro winning two successive YE #1s wasn't a great achievement. But in my own mind - I thought Petra was the best that year.

But the way some posters go - you'd think they want to change the ranking system at the end so as to give Petra the Y/E #1. I'm sure Petra herself would be horrified at the thought and would not want the #1 like that by changing the rules. But it was absolutely right that she got the POW which she can be proud of.

Of course - how things have changed.
I'm not sure what the point difference ended up being at the end of the year but Petra had chances to become number one but due to her own lacklustre results she failed to do so. If you look at the five tournaments that she played immediately after Wimbledon her results were not impressive. In those five events she won just five matches. If you take out Tokyo she only won two matches in four events (including a first round loss at the U.S. Open). All of those events were fairly big/important tournaments (Toronto/Cincinnati/U.S. Open/Tokyo/Beijing) where there were plenty of points available but she did not capitalise on her opportunities and because of that she did not end the year ranked number one. I do agree that if you just compare the titles they won that Petra had a more impressive year but you also need to consider how deep she was getting at the tournaments that she wasn't winning. Earlier in the year she had a poor stretch at three big tournaments (Dubai/Indian Wells/Miami) where she only won a single match.

If you dig a little deeper it becomes very obvious why she was unable to reach number one. There were four big tournaments where Petra could have earned as many as 4900 points (Dubai [900], Indian Wells [1000], U.S. Open [2000] and Beijing [1000]) instead she lost in the first round in all four and only earned 16 points. There were three other big tournaments (Miami [1000], Toronto [900] and Cincinnati [900]) where she only won a single match at each of them earning 330 points out of a possible 2800 points. If you combine the four tournaments where she lost in the first round and the three where she only won her first match she earned 346 points out of a possible total of 7700. Of course no player was going to win all of those tournaments but I think it is reasonable to expect the "real" number one to have made much deeper runs in at least a few of them. These are all fairly big events that featured most of the top thirty and she never made the quarters at any of them. She never even made round of sixteen at any of them. Those are dismal results and her poor performance at those events are the reason why she did not end 2011 as number one.
__________________
Don't get on the scale if U ain't got the weight
It's more hard to love than it is to hate


Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)

Last edited by DownInAHole : Oct 27th, 2012 at 08:02 AM.
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 09:23 AM   #4780
country flag terjw
Senior Member
 
terjw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,659
terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Womens Tennis in General

^^^^ Yes yes OK DIAH. My actual post was not intended to get into an argument about who was the "real" #1. And yes - the reason no doubt that Petra didn't get the #1 was that despite those 6 wins including Wimbledon and YEC that she had some very bad results as well.

I don't want to get into an argument on this. I put bigger weight on those wins than her worst results. And a poll of the players at the YEC that year was pretty unanimous that she was the best that year. Her POY was well deserved. My point was that I think it's quite reasonable to have a view that Petra "deserved" the #1 even though she never actually got it without slagging off the actual rankings implying they are not "real" and slagging off the player (in this case Caro) who does get the #1. And I thought Petra was being dismissed as not deserving anyone even thinking of her as the #1 because "she's never even been #1".

Anyway - you flip-flop don't you. I remember you going on and on and posting how Petra deserved the #1 and not Caro back then. And why do you always have to add such emotive negative words abot a player - Caro or Petra "..those are dismal results and her poor performance.." You've made your point. There's no need for that.
__________________
Caroline Wozniacki

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 12:09 PM   #4781
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Chrissie-fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 10,986
Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Womens Tennis in General

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineblue View Post
I know, she's become a bit of a joke in GM thanks to this 'real no.1' , KvittyGOAT hype spread by the crazier proportions of her fans. I noticed the new thread about real no1 and just had to laugh because people who were bashing players like Caro,Safina or JJ are now also bashing Vika even though she won a GS title.
That's just shows how much of a non-argument 'real no.1' is.

Serena owns Vika, I'm not arguing against that, however she is not a real no.1 because she simply doesn't have the points. Same like it was when Safina was a no.1 or whoever that took that ranking.
If Vika loses YEC,which I think she will, I think the press might start spouting the real no.1 nonsense again.
Yep, whoever is the number one is the real number one. Serena is the best player, but the rankings are not decided by a poll of fans or 'experts' but by whoever has the most points. All that number one vs real number one is just nonsense to me. It's like saying that Real Madrid isn't the real number one whenever they are leading in Spain because Barcelona is better. In fact, it's even like saying that, say, Stosur isn't the real 2011 USO champion because there are several players that are normally better on hardcourts than Sam.
__________________
Caroline Wozniacki
You'll Never Walk Alone When You Have a Friend Like Serena Williams
Maria Sharapova, Li Na, Simona Halep, Aga Radwanska

Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 02:02 PM   #4782
country flag DownInAHole
Senior Member
 
DownInAHole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 8,179
DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Womens Tennis in General

Azarenka/Sharapova are soon to face off for the twenty-third time this year, who is with me in predicting a win for Maria? Not only that but she is going to shock the world by defeating Serena in the final.
__________________
Don't get on the scale if U ain't got the weight
It's more hard to love than it is to hate


Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 02:43 PM   #4783
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Chrissie-fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 10,986
Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Womens Tennis in General

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
Azarenka/Sharapova are soon to face off for the twenty-third time this year, who is with me in predicting a win for Maria? Not only that but she is going to shock the world by defeating Serena in the final.
__________________
Caroline Wozniacki
You'll Never Walk Alone When You Have a Friend Like Serena Williams
Maria Sharapova, Li Na, Simona Halep, Aga Radwanska

Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 02:57 PM   #4784
marineblue
Senior Member
 
marineblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,543
marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Womens Tennis in General

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
^^^^ Yes yes OK DIAH. My actual post was not intended to get into an argument about who was the "real" #1. And yes - the reason no doubt that Petra didn't get the #1 was that despite those 6 wins including Wimbledon and YEC that she had some very bad results as well.

I don't want to get into an argument on this. I put bigger weight on those wins than her worst results. And a poll of the players at the YEC that year was pretty unanimous that she was the best that year. Her POY was well deserved. My point was that I think it's quite reasonable to have a view that Petra "deserved" the #1 even though she never actually got it without slagging off the actual rankings implying they are not "real" and slagging off the player (in this case Caro) who does get the #1. And I thought Petra was being dismissed as not deserving anyone even thinking of her as the #1 because "she's never even been #1".

Anyway - you flip-flop don't you. I remember you going on and on and posting how Petra deserved the #1 and not Caro back then. And why do you always have to add such emotive negative words abot a player - Caro or Petra "..those are dismal results and her poor performance.." You've made your point. There's no need for that.
I disagree. She never deserved the no.1 ranking, ranking can be only earned and since she did not earn it...tough luck. She had a potential but never fulfilled it.IMO she shouldn't have got the POY because she'd not reached no.1 and Caro actually defended the year-end no.1 that year. Well, as these awards come down to individuals' opinions s it was what it was.

Last edited by marineblue : Oct 27th, 2012 at 03:08 PM.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 03:06 PM   #4785
marineblue
Senior Member
 
marineblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,543
marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Womens Tennis in General

It looks like Sharapova is on her way to take this match. However, it's not all over until it's over. She's had her erratic moments here,too.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios