Womens Tennis in General - Page 317 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 19th, 2012, 06:34 PM   #4741
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Womens Tennis in General

Venus beats Vinci 7-6, 6-4 and advances to the semifinal!

Edit: Thinking about it, Venus' reason for playing Luxembourg is probably pretty straightforward: she wants to be a seed for AO and winning this Intl. should raise her to rank #24 or so.

Last edited by C. W. Fields : Oct 19th, 2012 at 07:18 PM.
C. W. Fields is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 20th, 2012, 12:14 PM   #4742

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

Whoever wins the other SF, let's hope for a long match so Caro won't be too disadvantaged tomorrow.
Offhand I'd say Caro's chances would be a little better against AI but I think it'd do her more good to beat SS.

Will they try overdo the 18 breaks in Caro's match? 3 breaks in a row so far, 3-2 AI.
4th break, 5-2 AI.
6-2. 3 aces AI, 3 DFs SS.
3 holds, 2-1 SS.
5th ace AI, her serve is pretty good today. 2-2.
Ace #7, 3-3.
First break in the set, 5-3 SS.
6-3 SS.
Break, 3-2 SS. MTO AI.

Last edited by C. W. Fields : Oct 20th, 2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old Oct 20th, 2012, 01:27 PM   #4743
country flag JadeFox

JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute

Ana, Sam, no need to rush this final set. Take all the time you need ladies.

When Daylight's fading,We're gonna play in the dark
Till it's golden again
JadeFox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2012, 01:33 PM   #4744
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Ivanovic is in trouble. Probably an injury.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2012, 01:46 PM   #4745

Probably the decisive break, 5-2 SS.
Old Oct 20th, 2012, 01:50 PM   #4746

Stosur wins 2-6, 6-3, 6-2 in 1h51m.
Old Oct 20th, 2012, 03:30 PM   #4747

If you want to watch Luxembourg.
http://atdhe.tw/watch.php?id=458883

Niculescu 6-1.
Niculescu wins 1 & 3

Petkovic comes from 3-5, 15-40 down to take the opener 7-5
Venus takes second set 6-4
Venus wins 5-7, 6-4, 6-4
The match lasted 2h38m, so Caro didn't get the 'honor' of winning today's longest match.

Last edited by C. W. Fields : Oct 20th, 2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 07:44 AM   #4748
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Bruce...Rebecca Marino was back in action this week. She won a $25k challenger tournament in Rock Hill.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 12:00 PM   #4749

During the Moscow final, Jo Durie talked about how she thought YEC should be enlargened from 8 to 12 players because the current format cuts out too many good players. She and many others would've liked to see players like Stosur and Caro compete in Istanbul also. But much as I would've liked to see Caro play in Istanbul, I don't see how a system with 12 players could work?

If you tried the current two-groups system with 6 players in each group, then the champion would have to play 7 matches! That's too much this late in the season, it would be begging for a number of retirements.
Three groups with 4 players each wouldn't work, either. Then you'd have 6 players advancing, a useless number.
Four groups with 3 players each - where the two best from each group advance to QF - might work. But there'd be one big drawback: a very real possibility of at least one group ending with all three players tied with a 1-1 match score and a 2-2 or 3-3 set score. When I think of how tricky it often is to find the players to advance from RR with the current 3-matches-per-player system, how much worse would it be if they only played two matches each?

Another option would be to simply double the current format to 16 players and 4 alternates. But I think that would lead to YEC losing much of it's glamour and allure if we had to go so far down the rankings. Even if the entire top 20 was ready to play (unlikely), then this year we'd see such as Vinci playing and Makarova as an alternate. Not much super final about that.

The current system with 8 players and 2 alternates is by no means perfect, but I don't have a better suggestion.
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 02:39 PM   #4750
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

^ 4 groups with either 3 or 4 players and only the winner of each group goes to the SF?

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 03:41 PM   #4751

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan66 View Post
^ 4 groups with either 3 or 4 players and only the winner of each group goes to the SF?
4x4 players are just too many players.
4x3 players is still the same problem with three-way ties (1-1) in RR, though it's just one player progressing from the group. And even if they avoid the tie-problem, the champion would - despite more players - have to play fewer matches than now, only four. That's too few for such an important tournament, I think.

Aga beats Petra 3 & 2!

Last edited by C. W. Fields : Oct 23rd, 2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 03:54 PM   #4752
country flag CWTennis

CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Well done to Aga for beating Petra

You got yourself some haterZ
Hope they choke on Now and Laters™

CWTennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 04:08 PM   #4753
country flag Robert77

Robert77 has disabled reputation

Aga wins easily first match with Kvitova in Istanbul .

Statistics: Aga 11 W/5 UE with 3 aces/0 DF, Petra 23 W/41 UE with 2 aces/6 DF. Very solid play from Aga, but Petra played today poor, weak moving and timing, plus tons off errors. W'll see what happend next.

Still don't belive that Caro not play Istanbul.
Robert77 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 04:23 PM   #4754

Nouni made a wrong call! Admittedly, we are talking about millimeters, but still!
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 04:27 PM   #4755

Angie was down 0-3 and BP, now 3-3.
Serena takes the opener 6-4. Angie had GP for 5-5 but DFed.
Serena wins 4 & 1.

Last edited by C. W. Fields : Oct 23rd, 2012 at 05:19 PM.