Womens Tennis in General - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 7th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #31
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Womens Tennis in General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyblue101 View Post
Referring to Amélie Mauresmo's muscular build on the eve of their 1999 Australian Open final, Hingis told reporters, "She's half a man."

When asked in the late 1990s how she felt about the budding rivalry between herself and the then-up-and-coming Anna Kournikova, Hingis responded, "What rivalry? I win all the matches."

After the Williams sisters (Venus and Serena) had complained of discrimination against them, Hingis told Time magazine in 2001: "Being black only helps them. Many times they get sponsors because they are black. And they have had a lot of advantages because they can always say, 'It's racism.' They can always come back and say, 'Because we are this color, things happen.'"

At the peak of the Williams sisters' and Hingis' competitive and fierce rivalry, Hingis stated in a press conference during the 1999 US Open referring to the sisters' remarks, "They always have big mouths. They always talk a lot. It's happened before, so it's gonna happen again. I don't really worry about that."

On the long-dominant player, Steffi Graf, Hingis said, "Steffi has had some results in the past, but it's a faster, more athletic game now than when she played. She is old now. Her time has passed." (Hingis made this comment in 1998 while Graf was on an injury-related hiatus from tennis, and before she lost against the German player in the 1999 French Open final).

Responding in a 1999 press conference on why she terminated her doubles partnership with former Wimbledon champion Jana Novotná, Hingis remarked, "She's old and slow."

I wonder if these are out of context too
but Martina is much more mature and humble now and those words are most likely out of context.
I absolutely loved Martina's cocky attitude. Maybe she went a bit too far at times, but she was also funny, wasn't intimidated by anyone and had supreme confidence in her own talent. I remember that after winning the AO singles and doubles she said, "I'm not competing in the mixed this year. I want to give the others the chance to win something." .....Muhammad Ali, listen to this girl and learn what being cocky really is all about.

But my #1 absolute fave happened at a press conference once after one of her matches. Unfortunately I don't remember who the opponent had been, but it went something like this....
Reporter: "Martina, you always seem to have a smile on your face when you're playing. Today at times you almost seemed to be laughing."
Martina: "Well, she was trying so hard. It was as though she actually thought that she could win."

Last edited by Chrissie-fan : Sep 7th, 2011 at 09:49 AM.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 7th, 2011, 09:59 AM   #32
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPRIATI420 View Post
My apologies if this was already discussed to death here in another Caro forum thread but...
I'm curious as to how you guys felt about that Hingis interview where she was asked about her and Caroline being similar. I've always had such an appreciation for Hingis's game but I must admit, Martina's comments left me disappointed in her. I feel as though I may have taken it to heart a bit much though so I wanted to see what your perspective on it was since there seems to be alot of Hingis/Caroline fans here.
I was disappointed, but not shocked. But I wouldn't be surprised if the guy doing the asking had an agenda and tried to guide her towards such an answer. And I think Martina also considers herself to be one of a kind and doesn't really like for other players (no matter who) to be compared to her.
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 11:17 AM   #33
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPRIATI420 View Post
My apologies if this was already discussed to death here in another Caro forum thread but...
I'm curious as to how you guys felt about that Hingis interview where she was asked about her and Caroline being similar. I've always had such an appreciation for Hingis's game but I must admit, Martina's comments left me disappointed in her. I feel as though I may have taken it to heart a bit much though so I wanted to see what your perspective on it was since there seems to be alot of Hingis/Caroline fans here.
What Hingis interview is it and what did she say?

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 12:25 PM   #34
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan66 View Post
What Hingis interview is it and what did she say?
http://www.tennischannel.com/news/Ne...px?newsid=9530
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 05:12 PM   #35
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, Martina could have been a bit more diplomatic but diplomacy is boring.

I don't think anything she said about her game vs. Caroline's game is untrue. Martina had a much wider variety of shots in her arsenal. The one clear advantage that Caroline has over her is the serve but even there I think Caroline could be better. She is fairly tall and big, there's no reason that her second serves need to be so weak.

I would love it if Caroline was motivated to add more shots to her game. She's never going to be the type of player to hit her opponents off of the court and nail tons of winners but she can win points/matches with her brains. There are key shots that she lacks and I hope that she adds them to her game in the off season. For example, it would be great if she added a reliable dropshot, especially on clay, and, while she has shown improvement, I do think that her volleys/net play can get much better.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 05:18 PM   #36
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
As soon I saw the name 'Matt Cronin' I knew where it was going and didn't read any further .. but thanks anyway, Chrissy!

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 05:23 PM   #37
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
I don't think anything she said about her game vs. Caroline's game is untrue. Martina had a much wider variety of shots in her arsenal.
Yes, but Martina knows that Caroline is a big fan of her AND that she's already under constant attack from the media. Considering those two things I would have hoped for a more sympathetic reply. But I admire Martina's game so much that I'm willing to forgive absolutely everything she may say or do.
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 05:39 PM   #38
country flag Bonfire

Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the answers.
One thing that I need to remember as a poster in GM is too not let those idiots sway me into over the top reactions. I wrote some heart felt responses in that thread against Martina but then realized that I was caught up more in combatting all of the trolls(for lack of a better word) who were taking Martina's comments and using them to once again attack Caroline with comments like "this is the first time I've ever liked Martina" and "Martina is my hero for these words" etc, etc. I was totally fighting more against them than I was Martina despite the fact that I still think Hingis could have vocalized her opinions differently.
It's so nice that "Chrissie-fan" has started a general thread like this here to discuss things without all of the psychos getting in the way

W
ozniacki - Stephens - Vandeweghe
Townsend - Stosur - Kvitova
Isner - Wawrinka - Sock - Berdych - Raonic

Bonfire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 05:55 PM   #39
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Sooner or later one of those psychos will stumble in here and start trolling. Let's all agree that if and when that happens we'll all ignore said fruitcake and just let Ryan remove his post(s).
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #40
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes, but Martina knows that Caroline is a big fan of her AND that she's already under constant attack from the media. Considering those two things I would have hoped for a more sympathetic reply. But I admire Martina's game so much that I'm willing to forgive absolutely everything she may say or do.
I can see that side of it but even as a fan of Caroline I find it very refreshing to read blunt answers like that. Far too often we get overly polite, anodyne answers that don't really say anything.

Old Sep 7th, 2011, 05:59 PM   #41
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
I can see that side of it but even as a fan of Caroline I find it very refreshing to read blunt answers like that. Far too often we get overly polite, anodyne answers that don't really say anything.
That's true. If you ask her something Martina will give you her honest opinion.
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 06:59 PM   #42
country flag Bonfire

Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sooner or later one of those psychos will stumble in here and start trolling. Let's all agree that if and when that happens we'll all ignore said fruitcake and just let Ryan remove his post(s).
you got it!

W
ozniacki - Stephens - Vandeweghe
Townsend - Stosur - Kvitova
Isner - Wawrinka - Sock - Berdych - Raonic

Bonfire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 07:16 PM   #43
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Be it blunt, or be it polite, neither is a measure of honesty or impartiality... As such delivery method isn't really important, and shouldn't be the measure of validity.

David Mercer was quite refreshing in his appraisal, which iirc was along the lines of, yes she is not all there yet but I feel she has what it takes to win it now.
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 06:01 AM   #44
country flag Brad[le]y.
Wingis <3

Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute

Rain is stupid. on the west coast, there's not a cloud in the sky; and we're known for rain
Brad[le]y. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 10:41 AM   #45
country flag DownInAHole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyblue101 View Post
Rain is stupid. on the west coast, there's not a cloud in the sky; and we're known for rain
Without rain we would all die horribly thirsty deaths.