Womens Tennis in General - Page 272 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 1st, 2012, 02:19 AM   #4066
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Womens Tennis in General

The night session matches have been a complete joke aside from the Kerber/Venus match.

Last edited by Protoss : Sep 1st, 2012 at 02:31 AM.
Protoss is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 1st, 2012, 02:31 AM   #4067
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Why does Sharapova struggle so much returning Vika's serve? That's something I find perplexing.

What's the point of playing warmup tournaments anyway? Vika and Sharapova pretty much didn't play after the Olympics (Vika played 6 games) and are both demolishing opponents.
Protoss is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 03:19 AM   #4068
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan66 View Post
It doesn't take much to become a female celebrity in the UK, but usually the fast-track is to have an affair with a married footballer .....

That said, on a serious note, should Adidas drop Caroline, I am not sure Robson is high profiled enough, but of course we'll see.
I don't think Adidas gonna drop Caro for having one bad year come on, If that the case they would drop many players

A.Radwańska | Halep | Wozniacki | Bouchard | Keys | Stephens | Robson | Vekić | Puig
Townsend | Duval | Vickery | Abanda | S. Crawford | Chirico | Kovinić | Konjuh | Krejčíková | Siniaková | Soylu
Trey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 06:31 AM   #4069
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
She deserves to be a celebrity more than 95% of those that are celebrities. Some of them are just famous for being famous, others because they lip-synch and wiggle their ass a bit to the latest assembly line moronic pop drivel or because they are as you say having an affair with a football player. If Laura Robson is or becomes a celebrity it will at least be because she is good at something. And she seems to be the real deal. She has got a good head on her shoulders and improved a lot over the last year or so. She strikes the ball very well, has improved her movement beyond recognition and she keeps cool under pressure. She's only eighteen which is very young by todays standards and she's already beating top players. Makes you wonder how good she'll be one or two years from now.
Yep. Her movement was really bad in the past and she's really worked hard and improved that. She's had a good year so far what with the Mixed Doubles Final with Andy at the Olympics as well. But I'm still worried she will get lots of unrealistic pressure put on her.

One other thing I really liked about Laura at the Mixed Doubles was when she was at the net - she didn't back off. She stuck to her guns and stayed close to the net. I was really impressed at that. So often the girl starts backing away from the net right from the start - even good singles players.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 08:12 AM   #4070
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
Yep. Her movement was really bad in the past and she's really worked hard and improved that. She's had a good year so far what with the Mixed Doubles Final with Andy at the Olympics as well. But I'm still worried she will get lots of unrealistic pressure put on her.

One other thing I really liked about Laura at the Mixed Doubles was when she was at the net - she didn't back off. She stuck to her guns and stayed close to the net. I was really impressed at that. So often the girl starts backing away from the net right from the start - even good singles players.
Yes. I was also impressed with her return of serve in those mixed doubles matches. Even when she was returning the serves of the men she did a great job. Some are maybe inclined to think, "well, it's easy to win a medal when you're playig with someone as good as Murray", but I think Laura contributed just as much to that silver as Andy. Maybe even more considering the fact that the female gets more balls to play in a mixed doubles.

Yes, there's always a chance that she will buckle under the pressure from the British media I suppose. But from that perspective it's a good thing that she'll play most of her tennis away from home. It's only leading up to and during Wimbledon that things will get crazy for her. Now the media probably also goes nuts, but she's in the US where she can ignore all that.

Thank you LI NA
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 08:21 AM   #4071
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
6-0 6-1 in 59 minutes.

Not bad for R3.
Impressive. Is it just me, or has Vika bulked up a bit?

Thank you LI NA
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 08:42 AM   #4072
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
This I completely disagree with. OK, forget Caroline. Let's say that Vera has a remarkable tunraround and somehow wins ten slams over the next five seasons. Historically she will be regarded as a much greater player than she otherwise would be. Ten years down the road the 2010 U.S. Open final will be viewed much differently. It won't have been two time slam winner Kim Clijsters vs. a Vera who had never won a slam. It would be viewed as four time slam winner versus a ten time slam winner, which is completely different. In that scenario from a historical perspective Vera would be regarded as, by far, the superior player and Kim defeating her would be viewed as an upset. I agree that is not a fair or accurate way to look at it but I believe that would be the reality.

I also believe that you can't ignore how poorly many recent number ones have fared, particularly on the biggest stages (the slams). If you have that number one next to your name you are expected to be the best player in the game capable of beating anyone, by those standards the batch of players I mentioned fall well short of those expectations.
Quote:
I completely see your point and for the most part I agree with you but I just don't think most people agree and from a historical perspective it does matter and would change peoples perceptions.
You completely disagree and then next moment you agree. And it makes no difference whether it's Caro or Vera or whoever. Their achievements or non-achievements in the future make no difference as to how well Kim played and how good a player she was when she beat them in 2009 or 2010. That is an absurd idea.

As for the historical perspective - apart from being completely irrelelevant and side-tracking off the discussion as to when Kim played her best tennis - it's also a nonsense and just another of these made up thing that is definitely not fact.

No-one places any historical significance in Venus' Wimbledon over Bartoli compared to the others. Nobody makes a big deal that Nav's last slam win at Wimbledon was "only" against Zina Garrison as opposed to a multi-slam winner. And I could go on and give example after example.

What is of historical significance about Kim's comeback and USO is:
  1. Coming back from retirement as a Mum to win it.
  2. The consecutive matches won winning streak which she maintained - brought up frequently 2009 - 2010.
  3. Beating both Williams sisters to win a slam - USO 2009
It's a shame the discussion on comparing just how good a player Kim was in the various years has got sidetracked with insults to current players and not an analysis of Kim's actual play.

Last edited by terjw : Sep 1st, 2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 09:34 AM   #4073
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
The night session matches have been a complete joke aside from the Kerber/Venus match.
As expected. That's what you get when they don't consider it important to have competitive matches in those night sessions. Having said that, I had expected Roddick vs Tomic to be a much closer match. And it would get VERY late if they had a five sets mens match followed by a three sets womens match. That's maybe why they always put Federer, Djokovic or Maria versus a nobody on there to have an early finish.

Thank you LI NA
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 09:58 AM   #4074
country flag terjw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
As expected. That's what you get when they don't consider it important to have competitive matches in those night sessions. Having said that, I had expected Roddick vs Tomic to be a much closer match. And it would get VERY late if they had a five sets mens match followed by a three sets womens match. That's maybe why they always put Federer, Djokovic or Maria versus a nobody on there to have an early finish.
I was thinking of what you posted earlier about not having competitive matches in the night sessions and they should really try to pick matches that are likelly to be competitive.. Basically your post is a reminder "I told you so". Quite right to remind us though.

Old Sep 1st, 2012, 11:08 AM   #4075
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan66 View Post
It doesn't take much to become a female celebrity in the UK, but usually the fast-track is to have an affair with a married footballer .....

That said, on a serious note, should Adidas drop Caroline, I am not sure Robson is high profiled enough, but of course we'll see.
I think that Robson would have to have a few great runs and some WTA tour titles under her belt for Adidas to take such steps. At 18 Caro already had 2 titles,one of those Premier.
Also, the only other highly successful Adidas wearer is Kerber who had more success this season but a lot less if you compare their careers.

Anyway,I read on Wikipedia that Adidas signed Robson when she was only eleven. So, I think that with some WTA titles she'll also wear Stella's designs one day.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 12:32 PM   #4076
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
Makes playing warmup tournaments seem kind of pointless.
It's different for every player. Some players can play well with little or no warmups while others need matches to play themselves into a tournament.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 12:57 PM   #4077
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You completely disagree and then next moment you agree. And it makes no difference whether it's Caro or Vera or whoever. Achievements in the future make no difference to how well a player played when they beat them in the past. That is an absurd idea.
But, at least among some people, it changes their perception. That is my point. If a veteran defeats an up and comer who hasn't achieved much that is one thing but if that up and comer goes on to great success that changes things. What about Kerber. Last year it looked like she made a fluke run to the semis at the U.S. Open because prior to that she hadn't made any deep runs at the slams. Now she is having a great year and with the perspective of knowing what kind of year she is having that changes how her run last year is viewed. At the time it was viewed as a fluke but now it is not.
Quote:
It's a shame the discussion on comparing just how good a player Kim was in the various years has got sidetracked with insults to current players and not an analysis of Kim's actual play.
Who is insulting players? I'm just comparing eras which you kind of need to do when you are asking the question "which Kim was better?" Of course you need to take into consideration who her opposition was. How do you compare her two careers without talking about the players she faced?

Old Sep 1st, 2012, 01:51 PM   #4078
country flag DownInAHole

Hmm, anyone else think that maybe Jankovic can give Radwanska a tough match? Agnieszka won their last two matches but they went to three sets.

Makarova and Serena...I don't think lightning is going to strike twice. I'm sure that Serena hasn't forgotten what happened at the Australian Open and she is probably anxious to get revenge.

Ivanovic/Stephens...I'd really like to see Ana win this but she's just so unpredictable. Obviously the crowd will be against her but that could hurt Stephens.

Old Sep 1st, 2012, 02:04 PM   #4079
country flag terjw

Quote:
But, at least among some people, it changes their perception. That is my point. If a veteran defeats an up and comer who hasn't achieved much that is one thing but if that up and comer goes on to great success that changes things. What about Kerber. Last year it looked like she made a fluke run to the semis at the U.S. Open because prior to that she hadn't made any deep runs at the slams. Now she is having a great year and with the perspective of knowing what kind of year she is having that changes how her run last year is viewed. At the time it was viewed as a fluke but now it is not.
It changes nothing. As I said - no-one makes anything of the fact Venus beat Bartoli who hasn't gone on to win a slam and distinguish that slam won from the other years. I have never ever heard a tennis expert or commentator come up with such a theory. It would be like raving about Caro getting to #1 in Beijing by beating Petra only because she won Wimbledon later. Utter nonsense and simply not true that there is any historical significance.

Quote:
Who is insulting players? I'm just comparing eras which you kind of need to do when you are asking the question "which Kim was better?" Of course you need to take into consideration who her opposition was. How do you compare her two careers without talking about the players she faced?
You did - you called them weak. How do you assess Kim's careers. Not by picking out a couple of matches and insulting her opponents in one era and brandin them as weak. Very shallow. I can definitely compare Kim through the years through her losses and wins and her matches and it's not the with the mindless mantra of all her matches she had great opponents playing brilliannt in one era and all her opponents as weak and her matches easy in another era.

Last edited by terjw : Sep 1st, 2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 02:41 PM   #4080
country flag DownInAHole

Quote:
You did - you called them weak. How do you assess Kim's careers. Not by picking out a couple of matches and insulting her opponents in one era and brandin them as weak. Very shallow. I can definitely compare Kim through the years through her losses and wins and her matches and it's not the with the mindless mantra of all her matches she had great opponents playing brilliannt in one era and all her opponents as weak and her matches easy in another era.
Perhaps we have vastly different definitions of the word "insult" but I believe that you are really stretching. I just re-read every post relating to this topic and I never insulted any player. If you can find any insults please quote them and I will apologise but they simply do not exist. I posited the opinion that the earlier era was stronger. That is an opinion but hardly an insult. For me I found the early part of the last decade more entertaining than the last several years. How is having a preference insulting to the current players? The worst thing that I said was that the recent numbers ones (specifically Ana, Jelena, Dinara, Caroline) have performed poorly when compared to the number ones of the earlier era and that the accomplishments are worlds apart. Maybe you could claim that to be an insult but it is factually true. If I say something that is true you may not like it but I hardly think that makes it an insult. Facts matter and the fact is I never insulted any player.