Womens Tennis in General - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 6th, 2011, 07:05 PM   #16
country flag SwissMiss19

SwissMiss19 is a splendid one to behold SwissMiss19 is a splendid one to behold SwissMiss19 is a splendid one to behold SwissMiss19 is a splendid one to behold SwissMiss19 is a splendid one to behold SwissMiss19 is a splendid one to behold SwissMiss19 is a splendid one to behold SwissMiss19 is a splendid one to behold SwissMiss19 is a splendid one to behold SwissMiss19 is a splendid one to behold SwissMiss19 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Womens Tennis in General

Caroline
Serena (blech)
Flavia
50/50 chance between Stosur and Vera. Stosur goes into her mental lapses, as we all know, so it matters how she will perform mentally. Vera can be the same way but she has been very consistent this tournament; flying under the radar has helped her. I am leaning more towards Vera.

"You must suck in real life, cause online you are too awesome! " --------

Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee
SwissMiss19 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 6th, 2011, 10:22 PM   #17
country flag Crockett

Crockett is a name known to all Crockett is a name known to all Crockett is a name known to all Crockett is a name known to all Crockett is a name known to all Crockett is a name known to all Crockett is a name known to all Crockett is a name known to all Crockett is a name known to all Crockett is a name known to all Crockett is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Not being a betting man myself, what does this all mean? The lower the number the more likely they are to win?
Exactly. The odds tell how much money you are paid if your bet of 1 wins. If the odds are 2.00, you get your money doubled - this is also known as evens, a toss-up or fifty-fifty.

In a tennis match, the favorite (as the market sees it) will always have odds between 1.00 and 2.00, while the underdog will have odds from 2.00 and up.

The odds also estimate the probability that the player wins. The favorite will have a probability between 50 % and 100 % to win. Odds 1.67 corresponds to 60 %, odds 1.25 corresponds to 80 %, and odds 1.11 corresponds to 90 %. Mathematically savvy readers will understand that the odds and the probability are reciprocal numbers.
Old Sep 6th, 2011, 11:22 PM   #18
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
Exactly. The odds tell how much money you are paid if your bet of 1 wins. If the odds are 2.00, you get your money doubled - this is also known as evens, a toss-up or fifty-fifty.

In a tennis match, the favorite (as the market sees it) will always have odds between 1.00 and 2.00, while the underdog will have odds from 2.00 and up.

The odds also estimate the probability that the player wins. The favorite will have a probability between 50 % and 100 % to win. Odds 1.67 corresponds to 60 %, odds 1.25 corresponds to 80 %, and odds 1.11 corresponds to 90 %. Mathematically savvy readers will understand that the odds and the probability are reciprocal numbers.
You lost me at "exactly."

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2011, 11:34 PM   #19
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
You lost me at "exactly."
It means that Caroline is the favorite to beat Petkovic and that Serena and Pavlyuchenkova shouldn't even bother playing.

Caroline Wozniacki

Maria Sharapova, Li Na, Agnieszka Radwanska, Sorana Cirstea

Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2011, 11:54 PM   #20
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
It means that Caroline is the favorite to beat Petkovic and that Serena and Pavlyuchenkova shouldn't even bother playing.
That pretty much sums it up The lowest I've ever seen Caro be for a match is 1.04 btw ...

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 12:35 AM   #21
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan66 View Post
That pretty much sums it up The lowest I've ever seen Caro be for a match is 1.04 btw ...
Against who was that? Brie Whitehead?

Caroline Wozniacki

Old Sep 7th, 2011, 01:18 AM   #22
country flag Martian Jeza
Crazy Conspiracy Theorist, Politically Incorrect

Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute

What I miss bloody much and not a little bit is a player that don't use ball bashing or power tennis to beat their opponent but using their brains and thinking tennis is like a chess game like Martina Hingis did in her prime : I'm so nostalgic about those times : and without power and without ball bashing you can win slams : Martina showed it ! Why all those girls have to follow the bad steps of the WS ? FFS ! The WS have destroyed the beauty of the women's tennis game by bringing that physical and brutal tennis ! That's why I admired Martina so much and still am her n°1 Belgian fan : well at least at the French part side

Loads will accept being deceived and being whores of the system : a few others with ethics and values decided to be Free Human beings

BNP Paribas, JP Morgan, Lagardere are criminals : WAKE UP !
Martian Jeza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 03:46 AM   #23
country flag Brad[le]y.
Wingis <3

Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian Jeza View Post
What I miss bloody much and not a little bit is a player that don't use ball bashing or power tennis to beat their opponent but using their brains and thinking tennis is like a chess game like Martina Hingis did in her prime : I'm so nostalgic about those times : and without power and without ball bashing you can win slams : Martina showed it ! Why all those girls have to follow the bad steps of the WS ? FFS ! The WS have destroyed the beauty of the women's tennis game by bringing that physical and brutal tennis ! That's why I admired Martina so much and still am her n°1 Belgian fan : well at least at the French part side
Martina is the best
Brad[le]y. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 03:57 AM   #24
country flag Bonfire

Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute

My apologies if this was already discussed to death here in another Caro forum thread but...
I'm curious as to how you guys felt about that Hingis interview where she was asked about her and Caroline being similar. I've always had such an appreciation for Hingis's game but I must admit, Martina's comments left me disappointed in her. I feel as though I may have taken it to heart a bit much though so I wanted to see what your perspective on it was since there seems to be alot of Hingis/Caroline fans here.

Ain't no SUNSHINE when she's gone
Bonfire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 04:08 AM   #25
country flag Bonfire

Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute

as far the QF (please let the rain allow it tomorrow) predictions..

Caroline in 2
Serena in 2
Vera in 3
Pennetta in 3

those are my picks

Old Sep 7th, 2011, 05:30 AM   #26
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

I was also surprised that Martina responded like that. She should show more respect to Caroline. Although, the person who interviewed her was one of those hacks who does not like Caroline so maybe he kind of pushed her to say that. If not, it was pretty low from Martina especially because Wozniacki was her fan.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 05:54 AM   #27
country flag Bonfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineblue View Post
I was also surprised that Martina responded like that. She should show more respect to Caroline. Although, the person who interviewed her was one of those hacks who does not like Caroline so maybe he kind of pushed her to say that. If not, it was pretty low from Martina especially because Wozniacki was her fan.
Yeah I had heard that the guy interviewing her was sort of anti-Wozniacki so I had wondered if some her words were taken out of context.

Old Sep 7th, 2011, 07:00 AM   #28
country flag Brad[le]y.
Wingis <3

Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPRIATI420 View Post
Yeah I had heard that the guy interviewing her was sort of anti-Wozniacki so I had wondered if some her words were taken out of context.
Referring to Amélie Mauresmo's muscular build on the eve of their 1999 Australian Open final, Hingis told reporters, "She's half a man."

When asked in the late 1990s how she felt about the budding rivalry between herself and the then-up-and-coming Anna Kournikova, Hingis responded, "What rivalry? I win all the matches."

After the Williams sisters (Venus and Serena) had complained of discrimination against them, Hingis told Time magazine in 2001: "Being black only helps them. Many times they get sponsors because they are black. And they have had a lot of advantages because they can always say, 'It's racism.' They can always come back and say, 'Because we are this color, things happen.'"

At the peak of the Williams sisters' and Hingis' competitive and fierce rivalry, Hingis stated in a press conference during the 1999 US Open referring to the sisters' remarks, "They always have big mouths. They always talk a lot. It's happened before, so it's gonna happen again. I don't really worry about that."

On the long-dominant player, Steffi Graf, Hingis said, "Steffi has had some results in the past, but it's a faster, more athletic game now than when she played. She is old now. Her time has passed." (Hingis made this comment in 1998 while Graf was on an injury-related hiatus from tennis, and before she lost against the German player in the 1999 French Open final).

Responding in a 1999 press conference on why she terminated her doubles partnership with former Wimbledon champion Jana Novotná, Hingis remarked, "She's old and slow."

I wonder if these are out of context too
but Martina is much more mature and humble now and those words are most likely out of context.
Brad[le]y. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 07:14 AM   #29
country flag Bonfire

Old Sep 7th, 2011, 08:12 AM   #30
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian Jeza View Post
I think it were Seles and Capriati that started the age of power tennis actually. Their 1991 semi final at the USO is legendary for introducing, or at least popularizing power hitting. Of course, the Williams sisters took it further still, but you have to keep in mind that tennis rackets continue to improve all the time and that the game evolves with the material that the players have at their disposal. Power hitters dominate the game today because the modern rackets with their huge sweetspot and trampoline effect reward that type of play. It would have been impossible to play like that with the rackets of thirty years ago. In the age of power tennis it becomes increasingly difficult for 'touch players' to be competitive with the ball constantly coming at you with the speed of light. Hingis, ok. But Hingis is a genius.

Caroline Wozniacki