Report: Half of Gold Badge Umpiring Crew Boycotting USO - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 5th, 2011, 12:27 PM   #31
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Report: Half of Gold Badge Umpiring Crew Boycotting USO

To put in perspective, I can make about $120 working one shift at a junior match, and I'm the lowest level official there is. I do it more because I enjoy working with kids than for the money, but I haven't gone through all the training and time it takes to earn a gold badge, either.

Lena's bangs.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 5th, 2011, 12:29 PM   #32
country flag brickhousesupporter

brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffedmax View Post
To put in perspective, I can make about $120 working one shift at a junior match, and I'm the lowest level official there is. I do it more because I enjoy working with kids than for the money, but I haven't gone through all the training and time it takes to earn a gold badge, either.

Lena's bangs.
How often do you have the opportunity to do that though?
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 12:32 PM   #33
country flag KBlade

KBlade has a brilliant future KBlade has a brilliant future KBlade has a brilliant future KBlade has a brilliant future KBlade has a brilliant future KBlade has a brilliant future KBlade has a brilliant future KBlade has a brilliant future KBlade has a brilliant future KBlade has a brilliant future KBlade has a brilliant future

Perhaps they should scale back that ludicrous US Open Series Bonus and spend it on the vital things like officiating.
KBlade is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 12:35 PM   #34

brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBlade View Post
Perhaps they should scale back that ludicrous US Open Series Bonus and spend it on the vital things like officiating.
I could go along with this........especially since players are going to play it anyways. However, the ones that win the series never make it for the big pay out. So the USTA never really have to pay out the big money.
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 01:28 PM   #35
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffedmax View Post

Lena's bangs.
Too bad you did not make it higher.

You could have helped Lena in those many Serena-Lena epics

Seriously though, I think the umpire are underpaid, especially in NYC.

Do they get room and board ( meals, lodging) and entertainment: Broadway ticket, Mets (The Opera, not baseball team) or Carnegie Hall tickets

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 07. 2014
Next Update Date: Post 2015 AO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 01:30 PM   #36
country flag Danii's Law

Danii's Law has much to be proud of Danii's Law has much to be proud of Danii's Law has much to be proud of Danii's Law has much to be proud of Danii's Law has much to be proud of Danii's Law has much to be proud of Danii's Law has much to be proud of Danii's Law has much to be proud of Danii's Law has much to be proud of Danii's Law has much to be proud of Danii's Law has much to be proud of

If your job commands that you are constantly traveling and that you are at the top of your field and ultimately held responsible for any bad callas and antics which occur on the court then yes I think $45,000 a year is appalling.

I have friends who are secretary's who make that, this is a high level official.

On a side note, I have always wanted to know what happens when a chair umpire has to go to the toilet. Are they allowed to? I have never seen it. Imagine being in the chair for a 4-5 hour match and having to hold it.
Danii's Law is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 01:33 PM   #37
country flag bobbynorwich

bobbynorwich has a brilliant future bobbynorwich has a brilliant future bobbynorwich has a brilliant future bobbynorwich has a brilliant future bobbynorwich has a brilliant future bobbynorwich has a brilliant future bobbynorwich has a brilliant future bobbynorwich has a brilliant future bobbynorwich has a brilliant future bobbynorwich has a brilliant future bobbynorwich has a brilliant future

According to this article most umpires make about £30,000 or about $48,000US, although top is considerably higher.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tenn...ed/4541821.stm

Below is the USTA pay scale and benefits for pro circuit umpires (not linespeople) and not for majors.
http://www.usta.com/About-USTA/Offic...ility_Program/

USTA Pro Circuit Officials
Revised 6/16/2009

Supervisor of Record (SRR) – Silver or Gold Referee, acting as final authority on-site. Is responsible for all ITF or ATP record-keeping. Must sign all fine records. Does the Tournament Evaluation and wrap-up reports. Usually a full-time USTA employee. Fee, travel, private hotel room and meals are paid by the USTA.

Associate Referee/Supervisor (ARS) – Silver or Gold Referee, working with the SRR from day of qualifying sign-in through the day before main draw singles commences, helping with referee duties and working as a chair umpire, if necessary; may work as a chair umpire throughout the main draw. Fee, travel, private hotel room and meals are paid by the USTA.

Deputy Referee/Supervisor (DRS) – Bronze or better chair umpire. Works with the SRR from day of qualifying sign-in through the last day of qualifying (further, if deemed necessary by the SRR). During qualifying, help with referee duties and work as a chair umpire, if necessary. Will typically work as a chair umpire throughout the main draw. Fee, travel, private hotel room and meals are paid by the USTA.

USTA Bronze or better Designate (UBB) – Umpire hired by the USTA to fill the Bronze or better requirement. Fee, travel, private hotel room and meals are paid by the USTA.

Tournament Bronze or better Designate (TBB) - Umpire hired by the tournament to fill the Bronze or better . requirement. All fee, travel, private hotel room and meals are paid by the tournament.This designation is only applicable to men’s challengers.

ATP Bronze or better Designate (ATP) – Umpire designated by the ATP. This designation is only applicable to men’s challengers 75K and above. Fee and travel are paid by the ATP. Private hotel room and meals are paid by the USTA; this chair umpire takes the place of one UWB at these events.

USTA White Badge or better Designate (UWB) – Umpire hired by the USTA to fill the White Badge requirement. Frequently, this spot is filled by a Bronze or better chair. All fees and travel paid by the USTA Pro Circuit. Housing and other expenses are negotiated by the Chief Umpire.

Supplemental Chair Umpire (SCU) – Hired by the event, over and above the requirement, but needed to fill the remaining chair assignments. This person’s fees are paid by the tournament. Expenses are negotiated by the chief and are typically similar to those of a line umpire working at that event.When working an event as a chair umpire, all officials are paid at their badge rates.

2009 Rates:
ITF White Badge Chair Umpire-$100/day
ITF Bronze Badge Chair Umpire-$110-/day
ITF Silver/Gold Chair Umpire-$125/day
Associate Supervisor (ARS)-$210/day
Deputy Referee/Supervisor (DRS)-$175/day
Non ITF Chair Umpire-$90/day or line umpire rate, whichever is higher
Bronze badge chair umpires assigned by CULA get their transportation paid
bobbynorwich is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 01:33 PM   #38
country flag DefyingGravity

DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute

And I just talked to Mariana in Cincy. I should have asked her about her pay.
Seles (9), Clijsters (4), Davenport (3), Testud
DefyingGravity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 01:35 PM   #39
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbynorwich View Post
According to this article most umpires make about £30,000 or about $48,000US, although top is considerably higher.

Below is the USTA pay scale and benefits for pro circuit umpires (not linespeople) and not for majors.

Revised 6/16/2009

Supervisor of Record (SRR) – Silver or Gold Referee, acting as final authority on-site. Is responsible for all ITF or ATP record-keeping. Must sign all fine records. Does the Tournament Evaluation and wrap-up reports. Usually a full-time USTA employee. Fee, travel, private hotel room and meals are paid by the USTA.

Associate Referee/Supervisor (ARS) – Silver or Gold Referee, working with the SRR from day of qualifying sign-in through the day before main draw singles commences, helping with referee duties and working as a chair umpire, if necessary; may work as a chair umpire throughout the main draw. Fee, travel, private hotel room and meals are paid by the USTA.

Deputy Referee/Supervisor (DRS) – Bronze or better chair umpire. Works with the SRR from day of qualifying sign-in through the last day of qualifying (further, if deemed necessary by the SRR). During qualifying, help with referee duties and work as a chair umpire, if necessary. Will typically work as a chair umpire throughout the main draw. Fee, travel, private hotel room and meals are paid by the USTA.

USTA Bronze or better Designate (UBB) – Umpire hired by the USTA to fill the Bronze or better requirement. Fee, travel, private hotel room and meals are paid by the USTA.

Tournament Bronze or better Designate (TBB) - Umpire hired by the tournament to fill the Bronze or better . requirement. All fee, travel, private hotel room and meals are paid by the tournament.This designation is only applicable to men’s challengers.

ATP Bronze or better Designate (ATP) – Umpire designated by the ATP. This designation is only applicable to men’s challengers 75K and above. Fee and travel are paid by the ATP. Private hotel room and meals are paid by the USTA; this chair umpire takes the place of one UWB at these events.

USTA White Badge or better Designate (UWB) – Umpire hired by the USTA to fill the White Badge requirement. Frequently, this spot is filled by a Bronze or better chair. All fees and travel paid by the USTA Pro Circuit. Housing and other expenses are negotiated by the Chief Umpire.

Supplemental Chair Umpire (SCU) – Hired by the event, over and above the requirement, but needed to fill the remaining chair assignments. This person’s fees are paid by the tournament. Expenses are negotiated by the chief and are typically similar to those of a line umpire working at that event.When working an event as a chair umpire, all officials are paid at their badge rates.

2009 Rates:
Thanks for the info.

Old Sep 5th, 2011, 01:38 PM   #40
country flag Marilyn Monheaux

Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute

The great grand US Open, who pride themselves in having the largest prize purse out of all the four Grand Slam tournamnets pay the least to the officials? smh.
Marilyn Monheaux is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 01:41 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbynorwich View Post

Revised 6/16/2009

2009 Rates:
Damn, I am good......it appears my numbers were spot on.
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 01:47 PM   #42
country flag Shonami Slam

Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute

such a bad paycheck for a job
and people will hate them all thier lives, too.

i'm all in on this boycott.
if you have nothing important to say, please do so in non-tennis forum. if you have something you think is important, but is actually rubbish regarding anything other than tennis - please do so in the non-tennis forum. if you have something tennis related to say, but it's actually "OMG, X player is so h0t!1" or "who has the biggest boobs on the wtatour" please do so in menstennisforum, under "wta forum". if you have something important, tennis-related and interesting to say please do so. No one in the world can understand how much tennis means to someone, except another fan.
Shonami Slam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 01:55 PM   #43
country flag bobito
Tennis 'toonist

bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute

$250 for being yelled at whined at and insulted by a bunch of overpaid prima donnas ? I don't blame them for boycotting the event.

Here's an idea, the money paid in fines by players who misbehave to be shared among the umpires and line judges as a bonus at the end of the tournament. You'd see a good few more code violations being handed out but that might not be such a bad thing.

Last edited by bobito : Sep 5th, 2011 at 02:09 PM.
bobito is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 02:16 PM   #44
country flag tennisbum79

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobito View Post
$250 for being yelled at whined at and insulted by a bunch of overpaid prima donnas ? I don't blame them for boycotting the event.

Here's an idea, the money paid in fines by players who misbehave to be shared among the umpires and line judges as a bonus at the end of the tournament. You'd see a good few more code violations being handed out but that might not be such a bad thing.
I agree that they are underpaid, but you can encourage corrupting approach in order to get adequate compensation.

That's like the incentive small town police force get when budget cut threatened the police department.

The go crazy on giving out ticketing drivers for "traffic violation"

Old Sep 5th, 2011, 03:51 PM   #45
country flag The Kaz
Your fav could never....

The Kaz has a reputation beyond repute The Kaz has a reputation beyond repute The Kaz has a reputation beyond repute The Kaz has a reputation beyond repute The Kaz has a reputation beyond repute The Kaz has a reputation beyond repute The Kaz has a reputation beyond repute The Kaz has a reputation beyond repute The Kaz has a reputation beyond repute The Kaz has a reputation beyond repute The Kaz has a reputation beyond repute

Ah the Grand Slams...

Australian Open - The innovative slam
Roland Garros - The sophistocated slam
Wimbledon - The traditional slam
US Open - The cheap, shabby slam

Samantha Stosur: US Open Champion 2011

Kerber // Barthel // Jankovic // Dellacqua // Pironkova // Arn // Cohen
Dulgheru // Scheepers // Kanepi // Cetkovska // Lisicki // Niculescu // Errani

Last edited by The Kaz : Sep 6th, 2011 at 04:23 AM.
The Kaz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote