Report: Half of Gold Badge Umpiring Crew Boycotting USO - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 4th, 2011, 11:12 PM   #1
country flag Jane Lane

Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute
Report: Half of Gold Badge Umpiring Crew Boycotting USO

Quote:
Top Umpires Boycott US Open Amid Pay And Conditions Dispute
Updated: Thursday, 01 Sep 2011, 10:01 AM EDT
Published : Thursday, 01 Sep 2011, 10:01 AM EDT
By NewsCore
NEW YORK - Only half of the world's leading umpires were working Thursday at the US Open as a result of a protest over pay and working conditions imposed on officials at Flushing Meadows.
Steve Ullrich, the most experienced American official -- who was in the chair for last year's men's final -- was among a host of recognizable faces who chose to boycott this year's tournament.
While 24 of tennis' 26 gold-badge officials worked Wimbledon two months ago, only 13 made it to New York.
The grand-slam tournaments have their own teams of officials, who are contracted to work the four majors and International Tennis Federation (ITF) events. It is believed that the US Open offers the lowest levels of pay -- about $250 a day -- of the four slams.
The umpires, who already complain of working longer and more antisocial hours, were told this year that pay would be reduced by 30 percent for tax purposes, an amount they could claim back in their own countries.
A leading official said, "We've heard they spend more on the flower arrangements at the Open than they do on officiating."
The tournament produced an economic benefit of $420 million for New York last year.
May explain why some of the officiating has been shoddy.

Half of the crew is here: Asderaki, Welch, Engzell, Ramos, Bernardes, Lang and others, but others have not been spotted: Ullrich, Alves, Cramer, Layhani, Nouni of note.

That level of pay is really awful. It's the lowest of the 4 Slams by far.

Discuss.
Jane Lane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 4th, 2011, 11:16 PM   #2
country flag Keadz

Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Report: Half of Gold Badge Umpiring Crew Boycotting USO

How much do other slams pay? Surprised its so low to be honest, but they still live a decent life. Travelling the world and wathing tennis...I wouldn't be complaining.

DATE-KRUMM ERAKOVIC KUZNETSOVA BARTY SANDERS

ROGOWSKA ZAKOPALOVA PIRONKOVA JANKOVIC DELLACQUA
Keadz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 11:18 PM   #3
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

They always criticize the money spent on flowers.

I heard about this, actually, from one of the commentators on the USO stream. I didn't realize the pay was quite so bad. $250 a day? Is that per match or per day? Who pays their travel expenses with that kind of pay? Seems like not enough money when you consider all the travel.
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 11:19 PM   #4
country flag Jane Lane

Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute

It's per day of work. So from my understanding, if you're not assigned a day, you're not paid. But that might be totally off base.
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 11:20 PM   #5
country flag crazillo

crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute

250 dollars a day? That's not good at all, many of them have to umpire 2-3 matches... I thought they have regular contracts.
"There is a saying that there is no friendship in tennis, but I've proven the opposite. After all of them are here, it means that there is friendship and I want to thank them for being here tonight. I hope the fans are happy too."

My blog about my semester spent in China (bilingual in both German and English):
http://crazillo.jimdo.com! Please feel free to make comments!!

Last edited by crazillo : Sep 4th, 2011 at 11:32 PM.
crazillo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 11:22 PM   #6
country flag Jane Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazillo View Post
250 dollars a day? That's bot good at all, many of thekm have to umpire 2-3 matches... I thought they have regular contracts.
Most of them are contracted with the ATP/WTA who pay their usual salaries. But since the Slams are ITF, maybe that means they set their own pay standards?
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 11:22 PM   #7
country flag Wiggly

Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute

And I assume a Gold Badge doesn't umpire any Junior matches so most are cut-off after the first week.
Let's say you get seven days = 1750$

If they have to pay for the hotel and the air travel, it's bankrupt guaranteed.
Wiggly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 11:22 PM   #8
country flag Bayo

Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute

That would be a shockingly low pay scale. I find that hard to believe.
Serena's game is like the limitation of the spirit to it's very basic elements, sleep (or the process of going to sleep), eat, rerun [...] the two first, all and absolutely unnecessary to a person's life just like Serena's game is to tennis are often overpraised for whatever reasons in certain close-minded brain-broken societies.
Bayo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 11:32 PM   #9
country flag DragonFlame
Team WTAworld

DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute

Fuck... alex Isner takes the first set... damn it.

Elena, thank you for all the joy you gave me, you will always remain in my mind.
Intelligence Officer of the SS Dementieva
DragonFlame is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 12:32 AM   #10
country flag Bronx19

Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of

Its the USO, its cheep, shoddy and dirty.

Its simply America once you scrape the skin back.
Bronx19 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 01:23 AM   #11
country flag Ryan
NeverWoz

Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, finally something interesting to talk about.

I can't believe the pay is so LOW. I am really surprised how low that is, especially when the umps probably do 3-ish matches a day, spread out over 12 hours. Obviously these people lead GREAT lifestyles, so its not a crazy injustice, but they definitely deserve to be paid more.

Honestly, I wonder if this is why things like grunting, too much time between points, verbal abuse etc doesn't get enforced as much? If I wasn't getting paid a lot (relatively), I can't say I'd be working 100%.
Ryan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 01:28 AM   #12
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute

What is the pay at the other 3 slams?

Uranium is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 01:31 AM   #13
country flag serenaforever
Queen.

serenaforever has a reputation beyond repute serenaforever has a reputation beyond repute serenaforever has a reputation beyond repute serenaforever has a reputation beyond repute serenaforever has a reputation beyond repute serenaforever has a reputation beyond repute serenaforever has a reputation beyond repute serenaforever has a reputation beyond repute serenaforever has a reputation beyond repute serenaforever has a reputation beyond repute serenaforever has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx19 View Post
Its the USO, its cheep, shoddy and dirty.

Its simply America once you scrape the skin back.
Okkkkkkkkkkkk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenus Christ View Post
we are ALL lessors under the LORD.
serenaforever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 01:34 AM   #14
country flag Jane Lane

No one really knows what it is at the other 3 Slams, but the rumor is that this is an insult compared to the others. So take with that what you will.
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 01:35 AM   #15
country flag bjurra

bjurra is a splendid one to behold bjurra is a splendid one to behold bjurra is a splendid one to behold bjurra is a splendid one to behold bjurra is a splendid one to behold bjurra is a splendid one to behold bjurra is a splendid one to behold bjurra is a splendid one to behold bjurra is a splendid one to behold bjurra is a splendid one to behold bjurra is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggly View Post
And I assume a Gold Badge doesn't umpire any Junior matches so most are cut-off after the first week.
Let's say you get seven days = 1750$

If they have to pay for the hotel and the air travel, it's bankrupt guaranteed.
Of course the USO pays for air tickets, transfers and hotels. Otherwise there would be zero non-American umpires there.

Still, 250 USD is a very bad pay for someone who is supposed to be the best in their field.

I will make an exception for Norm oh Christ, pay him 50.
bjurra is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote