US Open 2011 Reports From iSzávay - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 31st, 2011, 05:09 PM   #16
country flag iGOAT

iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: US Open 2011 Reports From iSzávay

Pervak. vs. Fistpump:

Match report:
I arrived at 3-0 for Fistpump in the second set. The stadium was about 80% empty. I don't understand why the US Open still worships Fistpump even though she is in decline. The people I sat around were referring to her as "that girl" rather than her name, implying they haven't heard of her. Not a smart match to put on Arthur Ashe Arena. Even last year though, I saw Fistpump play Dushevina on Grandstand and the court was packed with Fistpump fans, who were into it, so clearly she is declining in relevance. Anyways, to get past that rant, I snuck down to the courtside seats so I was very close and sat on the side Fistpump was on. I was shocked by how skinny she is. She's very tall and has a huge presence on the court, but her legs are extremely skinny, like in an unhealthy way. The calves have no definition and her thighs are tiny. I was alarmed. Right away, Fistpump looked really desperate. Every single point would be followed by a bent over fistpump, or a big leg raised jump, and a huge fistpump. Every point she lost she looked on the verge of panic. Always dancing around. Her shots were pretty powerful, but she's just slapping the ball desperately, so while she hit some good shots, she also smacked several easy ones (especially returns) right into the net. She also hit very many double faults. Fistpump has great presence though as she is tall. She doesn't look confident, but she's always dancing around and fistpumping, which is definitely intimidating to her opponents. The points were not pretty at all. Very few winners and almost all of them were ending in errors - either out of desperate shots from Fistpump that missed or from Ksenia's disastrous inability to put the ball away and terrible shot selection, which led to a miss in the majority of the rallies. Ksenia did not seem to have any weapons nor did she have any fight, which implies she's not very mentally strong. Also, like I said, when the rallies got long, her shot selection was very puzzling and she just couldn't finish them off, so she would eventually miss. Fistpump took advantage of this though, as she went for her shots, which led to her taking most chances she was given. Being up close, I could see that Fistpump does hit really hard, so when her shots go in, they can be tough. Watching the match was painful, as almost every point ended in a cringe-worthy error, then Fistpump threw away the 5-1 game only for Ksenia to hand it back at 2-5. There were also a shitload of double faults, including from Ksenia on match point down. The applause at the end was extremely subdued, probably partly due to the small crowd, but also due to the shittastic level of tennis the crowd had just witnessed. Fistpump calling the trainer at 5-2 was extremely strange. She had looked completely fine physically and the whole crowd was confused. Fistpump looked extremely drained at the end, which I found strange, and was teary in her interview (I couldn't hear it with the echo of the stadium - I later found out this was because of her grandfather) but it definitely seemed like a bit much and contributed to my feelings that she is desperate at this point. I heard her say she considered not playing the tournament though. Fistpump was really nice to the kids who wanted autographs afterwards. She was smiling the whole time, signing all of them, even taking pictures with some people. She also gave her wristband away then kept apologizing to the kids that she couldn't give them more. After the match I accidentally wandered into the hallway below the stadium and Fistpump was talking to her coach in tears. She was saying something about the schedule, which doesn't seem to warrant tears, but she clearly is very up-and-down emotionally right now, which seems another cause for concern. The errors in this match were constant and horrible though, which made this the lowest quality match I saw of the day (Kanepi vs. Tanasugarn had rallies before the errors at least).

Players:
Ksenia: Sorry to say, but I don't see much potential in Ksenia. She has no visible weapons, and she folded like a cheap tent here. Her shot selection is terrible and every time she gets control of the rally, she just refuses to put the ball in the place it needs to be to finish the point, which prolongs it. It doesn't take her long to miss. This could be attributed to an off-day, but the problem is that she showed no spirit or life. When she broke back at 2-5, she just looked bored and defeated. She didn't look motivated or anything, and she wasted many chances, which means she is not very strong mentally. She also hit a lot of double faults, which symbolizes a poor serve.
Fistpump: She hits the ball extremely hard. Though she certainly had help, Fistpump went for her shots and took her chances, which helped her get through. She also hit a shitload of terrible errors and double faults though, which is the result of brainless ballbashing. Her game is probably powerful enough to be top twenty level, but far too inconsistent to be top ten or a real contender. The bigger issue is her head. Clearly she expected to beat Pervak, which helped her mental state, but that didn't stop her from looking very desperate every single point. Calling the trainer at 5-2 seemed like a low-confidence move too, as she didn't seem to think her lead was enough to close out the match. Honestly she seemed to be fine. She was then teary in the interview on-court and then again with her coach in the players hallway, where she was talking frantically and nervously. She really needs to settle down.
iGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 31st, 2011, 05:16 PM   #17
country flag Ayumilover.

Ayumilover. is a splendid one to behold Ayumilover. is a splendid one to behold Ayumilover. is a splendid one to behold Ayumilover. is a splendid one to behold Ayumilover. is a splendid one to behold Ayumilover. is a splendid one to behold Ayumilover. is a splendid one to behold Ayumilover. is a splendid one to behold Ayumilover. is a splendid one to behold Ayumilover. is a splendid one to behold Ayumilover. is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSzávay View Post
Pervak. vs. Fistpump:

Match report:
I arrived at 3-0 for Fistpump in the second set. The stadium was about 80% empty. I don't understand why the US Open still worships Fistpump even though she is in decline. The people I sat around were referring to her as "that girl" rather than her name, implying they haven't heard of her. Not a smart match to put on Arthur Ashe Arena. Even last year though, I saw Fistpump play Dushevina on Grandstand and the court was packed with Fistpump fans, who were into it, so clearly she is declining in relevance. Anyways, to get past that rant, I snuck down to the courtside seats so I was very close and sat on the side Fistpump was on. I was shocked by how skinny she is. She's very tall and has a huge presence on the court, but her legs are extremely skinny, like in an unhealthy way. The calves have no definition and her thighs are tiny. I was alarmed. Right away, Fistpump looked really desperate. Every single point would be followed by a bent over fistpump, or a big leg raised jump, and a huge fistpump. Every point she lost she looked on the verge of panic. Always dancing around. Her shots were pretty powerful, but she's just slapping the ball desperately, so while she hit some good shots, she also smacked several easy ones (especially returns) right into the net. She also hit very many double faults. Fistpump has great presence though as she is tall. She doesn't look confident, but she's always dancing around and fistpumping, which is definitely intimidating to her opponents. The points were not pretty at all. Very few winners and almost all of them were ending in errors - either out of desperate shots from Fistpump that missed or from Ksenia's disastrous inability to put the ball away and terrible shot selection, which led to a miss in the majority of the rallies. Ksenia did not seem to have any weapons nor did she have any fight, which implies she's not very mentally strong. Also, like I said, when the rallies got long, her shot selection was very puzzling and she just couldn't finish them off, so she would eventually miss. Fistpump took advantage of this though, as she went for her shots, which led to her taking most chances she was given. Being up close, I could see that Fistpump does hit really hard, so when her shots go in, they can be tough. Watching the match was painful, as almost every point ended in a cringe-worthy error, then Fistpump threw away the 5-1 game only for Ksenia to hand it back at 2-5. There were also a shitload of double faults, including from Ksenia on match point down. The applause at the end was extremely subdued, probably partly due to the small crowd, but also due to the shittastic level of tennis the crowd had just witnessed. Fistpump calling the trainer at 5-2 was extremely strange. She had looked completely fine physically and the whole crowd was confused. Fistpump looked extremely drained at the end, which I found strange, and was teary in her interview (I couldn't hear it with the echo of the stadium - I later found out this was because of her grandfather) but it definitely seemed like a bit much and contributed to my feelings that she is desperate at this point. I heard her say she considered not playing the tournament though. Fistpump was really nice to the kids who wanted autographs afterwards. She was smiling the whole time, signing all of them, even taking pictures with some people. She also gave her wristband away then kept apologizing to the kids that she couldn't give them more. After the match I accidentally wandered into the hallway below the stadium and Fistpump was talking to her coach in tears. She was saying something about the schedule, which doesn't seem to warrant tears, but she clearly is very up-and-down emotionally right now, which seems another cause for concern. The errors in this match were constant and horrible though, which made this the lowest quality match I saw of the day (Kanepi vs. Tanasugarn had rallies before the errors at least).

Players:
Ksenia: Sorry to say, but I don't see much potential in Ksenia. She has no visible weapons, and she folded like a cheap tent here. Her shot selection is terrible and every time she gets control of the rally, she just refuses to put the ball in the place it needs to be to finish the point, which prolongs it. It doesn't take her long to miss. This could be attributed to an off-day, but the problem is that she showed no spirit or life. When she broke back at 2-5, she just looked bored and defeated. She didn't look motivated or anything, and she wasted many chances, which means she is not very strong mentally. She also hit a lot of double faults, which symbolizes a poor serve.
Fistpump: She hits the ball extremely hard. Though she certainly had help, Fistpump went for her shots and took her chances, which helped her get through. She also hit a shitload of terrible errors and double faults though, which is the result of brainless ballbashing. Her game is probably powerful enough to be top twenty level, but far too inconsistent to be top ten or a real contender. The bigger issue is her head. Clearly she expected to beat Pervak, which helped her mental state, but that didn't stop her from looking very desperate every single point. Calling the trainer at 5-2 seemed like a low-confidence move too, as she didn't seem to think her lead was enough to close out the match. Honestly she seemed to be fine. She was then teary in the interview on-court and then again with her coach in the players hallway, where she was talking frantically and nervously. She really needs to settle down.

Thank you for this very detailed report. Even though Ana's level wasn't the best, I think we can be happy that she's going for her shots and not being passive like she sometimes is more recently. Does she hit the hardest forehand you have seen so far this week?
Ayumilover. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 04:10 PM   #18
country flag iGOAT

iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute

Halep vs. Na Li:

Match report:
I didn't get to this match until 5-all, because it was at the same time as Fistpump. Though I only saw two games, I feel the epitomized the match pretty well. The stadium was very full and crowd was excited and seemed to be pro-Na - probably because she was losing. During the Schiavone match when she almost got upset, I was thinking Armstrong is a great atmosphere for an upset. I have witnessed several upsets on that court, including Kateryna Bondarenko over Na Li last year, and the crowd gets really into it in matches like that. I could sense one for Schiavone though it didn't happen, but once I returned to see it happening to Na, I was like "yup, exactly. Called it." At 5-all, they were having some pretty decent rallies and Simona was sticking with Na and I was pretty impressed that she broke. I then took a seat right behind the court, and very close to it, on the side that Na was on for the last game. Na had a good amount of kinesio tape on that knee so I think she is somewhat injured. Being close behind Na, the first point I saw, I was like, "since when does she just spin the ball?" Last year, she lost to Kateryna Bondarenko, but it was extremely powerful, high-quality rallies and Kateryna had to play very well and take her chances to win the match. This year Na was just spinning every single shot because she was clearly afraid to miss. Her shots were clean and her technique seemed sound, but right away it was clear that she has zero confidence. The fact that she was spinning her shots comes as an attribute to this, as I imagine she is scared to miss so she instead turns to spin, and pushing. I have tried this myself when I play badly, and the outcome is that you're scared to attack balls you know you should attack, so you instead try to push them. You confuse your swing and end up missing. This was very clear on an open swing volley Na sent long in the last game. The attempted pushing doomed Na and her indecision beat her. Simona was very contained, both in closing out the match, and in celebrating very little once she did, which shows she is level-headed, but at the same time, she really did nothing. Simona looked the same as she had last year when she almost upset Jankovic, but in that match Lady JaJa failed to miss, so Simona couldn't finish her. This year, Simona waited for Na to miss, and she sure did, which led to this result. Na left the court quickly, and seemed to be limping. Maybe it's from exhaustion or maybe from her knee, but it looked bad. Simona was very calm and collected at the end, signing a lot of autographs, but she didn't look super shocked, or thrilled. There were some excited Romanian fans waving a Romanian flag in the crowd after she won.

Players:
Halep: It's pretty hard for me to say very much about Simona because I felt like Na was in charge of the points as she would either hit winners or errors while Simona just got it back. Simona's game wasn't particularly impressive to me as she basically seems like an intelligent pusher. What really impressed me though was her cool. Last year against JaJa, Simona had her on the ropes but got extremely tight and folded on the big points in the third set, eventually missing. This year, she definitely did not miss and completely beat Na at her own game by mixing it up and letting Na choke and miss. I did not notice Simona showing any nerves in the last game though and after she won she looked very calm and confident, like it was just another day at the office and time to focus on the next round.
Na: As I said, she was hitting cleanly and even though she was spinning the ball, which isn't her game, the shots seemed very technically solid. It's just that she was resisting her urge to ballbash and instead trying to push, which ends up in your arm being confused mid-shot when it's getting two different impulses and thus results in unforced errors. Somehow Na just has zero confidence. Her game is not far away, but it's a similar situation to where Sunshine was after Cincinnati. If Na can just put this shitty play behind her, she should be totally fine, like Sunshine did in New Haven, but with confidence this low, Na seems to be over-complicating things for herself, so she may have to start in the beginning. Obviously the New Haven result didn't help this problem. I would say no reason for anyone, including Na, to get worried at this point because her game is right there, but if she still can't find confidence for the rest of the year maybe she should make some big changes, such as a new coach or a sports psychologist, so she can reset mentally. Also, I'm not sure where the injury is, but I definitely thought she was limping when she left the court, although that could of course have just been fatigue or frustration.
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 04:12 PM   #19
country flag iGOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayumilover. View Post
Thank you for this very detailed report. Even though Ana's level wasn't the best, I think we can be happy that she's going for her shots and not being passive like she sometimes is more recently. Does she hit the hardest forehand you have seen so far this week?
Yes, I would say Fistpump did have the most powerful forehand. It was comparable to Dokic's, but definitely less consistent, though when it did go in it was bigger.
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 04:15 PM   #20
country flag darrinbaker00
Serena's #1 Hater

darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute

Is Kader Nouni working the Open this year? I have not seen or heard him on television yet.
"He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtains favor from the Lord." -- Proverbs 18:22

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." -- Herb Brooks

"A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali
darrinbaker00 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 04:38 PM   #21
country flag iGOAT

Benešová vs. Gajdošová:

Match report:
I didn't get there until 2-3 in the second set, with Jarmila serving. Jarmila has very big, strong thighs, but her overall build and upper body isn't quite as powerful as someone like Kanepi. As we all know, Jarmila is a ballbasher and she was nothing short of that today. Her serves were really fast and her shots were mostly powerful groundstrokes. Nevertheless, besides serve, she has less power than players like Dokic and Fistpump. Iveta was basically matching her in power too in most rallies, although as the rallies went on Jarmila would usually decide the outcome with the slightly bigger shots. Jarmila hits two first serves though, so despite the power she gets when they go in, she hits a lot of double faults. Very soon after I got there was a questionable call on Jarmila's baseline that was called in for Iveta, and Jarmila started bitching at the umpire. It looked out to me, and did not seem worth getting hung up on. This wasn't that surprising though because Jarmila did not look very confident. She was yelling at herself all the time and looked very edgy. She would get up early on the changeovers and all the time just looked a little bit nervous and frustrated. Jarmila would always be waiting to serve for Iveta to be ready and looked all annoyed if Iveta wasn't there. The attitudes of both players seemed rather flat though. Neither seemed thrilled with the way they were playing and there was no positive emotion or smiling. They were either mad or just seemed like they didn't care. For some reason, Jarmila was completely drenched, which seemed strange as it was late in the afternoon so not that hot and Iveta wasn't that sweaty. Maybe because Jarmila is more physical I guess. The match was another bashfest, so the points either ended in screaming winners or disappointing errors. They came at the end of long, hard rallies though, so the points in general were pretty good. It was also on serve, which makes sense as both players have pretty hard serves. Finally at 5-all the players got into a little bit more emotionally. After questioning another call angrily earlier in the game, Iveta hit a shot that was very close and didn't get called out and Jarmila went ballistic. She screamed "you just don't call balls on my side" to the umpire and argued with him for a good ninety seconds. Also in that game when Iveta missed a shot, she screamed really loudly. As soon as Iveta got broken, she walked to her chair, chucked her racquet into the ground, and slapped her thigh several times during the changeover. Evidently, both players were showing very negative emotions and poor body language in general. Jarmila did have a right ankle brace, so maybe some injury has contributed to her recent poor form? Jarmila was very solid in closing out the match, but she didn't look very happy or excited at the end. Iveta was going crazy when she lost, smashing her racquet and storming out. Jarmila did a TV interview at the end, which was probably for some Australian channel (the cameraman was wearing a FoxSports shirt), so it was good to see them recognizing her win right away. Overall, it was pretty decent quality tennis, but very poor attitudes from both players.

Players:
Iveta: She reminds me a lot of Hantuchova. The strokes are quite good and the potential seems to be there, but she is a headcase. Iveta never shows positive energy, but looks ready to kill herself when something goes wrong. I'm not a huge believer in attitude making such a big difference, but she was clearly not channeling the negative emotion to play well, so it seemed like if she loosened up a bit, her shots could have done more since they are good. Despite being pretty technically sound, the attitude and belief from Iveta weren't very good and since her shots are hard and flat it's a pretty good game for other players to find a rhythm against so I'm not too optimistic for her upcoming tournaments.
Jarmila: Her serve is good and her shots are very good too, but again the attitude is pretty bad. Jarmila is definitely gutsy enough to go for against better players, but I feel like she needs a good rhythm to really put her opponents away. She can certainly play very well and with the sting her shots have I'm not surprised she has improved lately and won two titles. Playing less confident, shakier girls, Jarmila should easily be able to put them away with her power. The problem is that her game is pretty one-dimensional and her attitude is not very good and while she is pretty consistent against someone like Iveta I get the feeling that it would be easy to throw her off and frustrate her by mixing it up and playing smartly, so having said that I think Jarmila should be pleased to be in the top thirty-two and picking up some International titles. I can see her doing more of this in the future, but not bettering it unless she finds a B game and a better attitude.
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 04:39 PM   #22
ajmo!

ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute

No Lucic-Erakovi?
ajmo! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 07:28 AM   #23
country flag A-Bond

A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute A-Bond has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your great report Really not surprised to hear about the Benesova-Gajdosova attitude thing. They're both really negative and have a bad body language which is a shame. You can tell about Oudin whatever you want but there would be lots of players who would be much better if they had an attitude like her. I just don't understand this. Jarmila used to play 25ks 2 years ago, being a total nobody, but last year she stepped it up and now she has the chance to play the biggest events on the biggest courts, she should just enjoy this Same goes for Iveta, Zakopalova and the rest of those always-in-bad-mood-players.
A-Bond is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote