Elena Dementieva Fans Club Vol 8 - Page 43 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 13th, 2012, 04:19 AM   #631
country flag cowsonice

cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future
Re: Elena Dementieva Fans Club Vol 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffedmax View Post
Crap. I missed registration for my officials class so now I can't do it until May, which means I have to remember I'm registered to do it 5 months in the future.

And I signed up too late so it looks like I won't work any tournaments this month.

Sorry to vent about nonLena topics, but I had to vent somewhere and I figured you guys wouldn't kill me too bad.

Here is a reward for your patience:

Can't the USTA/ITF remind you through email or something?

They've been contacting me non-stop to renew my membership.

Faves: Sharapova, Hantuchova, Safarova, Goerges
GO BEARS!
cowsonice is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 13th, 2012, 07:30 PM   #632
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
An "image hosted by Tripod" isn't very rewarding.

Are you enjoying dealing with the inmates running the asylum (general messages)?
It was supposed to be this image, one of my personal faves:

Isn't it interesting that halos are usually shown as round, when this photo makes it clear they are, in fact, triangular?

I am actually enjoying moderating. Nevetsslim and I have very similar views on things and are really trying to roust some of the trolls and troublemakers by closing threads, issuing infractions and reporting people to the admins. I've actually gotten some good reps and PMs from people thanking me for trying to clean things up. We actually communicate a lot of the time and try to be consistent and fair.

We are not perfect, but we are trying to be very aggressive. I know a lot of you all don't even bother to post in GM any more and I'm hoping we can change that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by profesorakittens View Post
Can't the USTA/ITF remind you through email or something?

They've been contacting me non-stop to renew my membership.
It's weird. USTA certifies you and sponsors the classes, but you are not actually working for USTA when you officiate. So in my area we have a local tennis officials association that sends out the reminder e-mails. They had the dates of the class, but not the "register by" info in their e-mail. Oh well. It will work out.

Hopefully I'll do some tournaments next month. I enjoy it, but it's not like I'm working towards having enough points to do the US Open or something.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #633
country flag deadparrot

deadparrot has much to be proud of deadparrot has much to be proud of deadparrot has much to be proud of deadparrot has much to be proud of deadparrot has much to be proud of deadparrot has much to be proud of deadparrot has much to be proud of deadparrot has much to be proud of deadparrot has much to be proud of deadparrot has much to be proud of deadparrot has much to be proud of

Quote:
I am actually enjoying moderating. Nevetsslim and I have very similar views on things and are really trying to roust some of the trolls and troublemakers by closing threads, issuing infractions and reporting people to the admins. I've actually gotten some good reps and PMs from people thanking me for trying to clean things up. We actually communicate a lot of the time and try to be consistent and fair.

We are not perfect, but we are trying to be very aggressive. I know a lot of you all don't even bother to post in GM any more and I'm hoping we can change that.
It's very much appreciated. Two of my work colleagues are also major tennis fans and have been lurking on Tennisforum for several years (we often share a laugh at TF threads and posts). However, lately they have grown increasingly tired of the absurd amounts of Caro bashing in GM and were starting to consider not visiting the forum anymore. Your efforts have certainly not gone unnoticed!
deadparrot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 12:51 AM   #634
country flag cowsonice

cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future

Quote:
It's weird. USTA certifies you and sponsors the classes, but you are not actually working for USTA when you officiate. So in my area we have a local tennis officials association that sends out the reminder e-mails. They had the dates of the class, but not the "register by" info in their e-mail. Oh well. It will work out.

Hopefully I'll do some tournaments next month. I enjoy it, but it's not like I'm working towards having enough points to do the US Open or something.
I see. Wouldn't it be nice if you officiated some professional tournament and met one of your LOB members?

Today I learned that St. Petersburg was Leningrad (or the other way around). I'm about 20 years behind because I've always thought Leningrad existed today and St. Petersburg was just another city. Go me for not paying attention to the Russian history unit.

GO BEARS!
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 01:09 AM   #635
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by profesorakittens View Post
I see. Wouldn't it be nice if you officiated some professional tournament and met one of your LOB members?

Today I learned that St. Petersburg was Leningrad (or the other way around). I'm about 20 years behind because I've always thought Leningrad existed today and St. Petersburg was just another city. Go me for not paying attention to the Russian history unit.
You're better off meeting them as a fan because there are rules about what officials can and can't do--no asking for autographs, no talking outside of official events, etc. You have to be impartial.

And I did get to meet Sabs last year in Dallas. She was super-sweet. I got to see Jo-La, but not meet her.

Of course, even if you combine them, you wouldn't have anyone half so amazing as our beloved Lena.

And no, there's no way I could have been impartial--or even focused--if Lena was playing! It would have been like working my own son's matches (which I'm not allowed to do).
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Old Jan 14th, 2012, 08:12 AM   #636
country flag cowsonice

What kind of tournaments do you officiate? There's only one official at my tournament level and he's only there if you ask him to be (for line judging)

Indeed. But it's always exciting to be on the same ground as your favorite player. I really wish I volunteered to be a ballkid.

GO BEARS!
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 12:48 PM   #637
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

I mostly work juniors as a rover. I don't really have time to do college or pro.

Old Jan 15th, 2012, 01:38 PM   #638
country flag Alenyaa

Alenyaa has a reputation beyond repute Alenyaa has a reputation beyond repute Alenyaa has a reputation beyond repute Alenyaa has a reputation beyond repute Alenyaa has a reputation beyond repute Alenyaa has a reputation beyond repute Alenyaa has a reputation beyond repute Alenyaa has a reputation beyond repute Alenyaa has a reputation beyond repute Alenyaa has a reputation beyond repute Alenyaa has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
An "image hosted by Tripod" isn't very rewarding.

Are you enjoying dealing with the inmates running the asylum (general messages)?

Jelena Dokic, Tsvetana Pironkova, Caroline Wozniacki
Daniela Hantuchova, Gisela Dulko, Julia Görges

Former Training Accommodation Manager aboard the SS Dementieva
Now discovering New Horizons...
Alenyaa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 10:50 PM   #639
country flag iva_ds87

iva_ds87 has a brilliant future iva_ds87 has a brilliant future iva_ds87 has a brilliant future iva_ds87 has a brilliant future iva_ds87 has a brilliant future iva_ds87 has a brilliant future iva_ds87 has a brilliant future iva_ds87 has a brilliant future iva_ds87 has a brilliant future iva_ds87 has a brilliant future iva_ds87 has a brilliant future

Our girl Lena with her thoughts on AO:
http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-item/502823

"I don't not quite understand what No1 means for Wozniacki. I am surprised how easily she addresses some of her defeats. Lost in the quarterfinals, it's okay. I remember how worried and tormented Dinara Safina was after losing some matches while ranked No1. And look at how many off-season exhibitions the Dane played. I think a person who wants to retain the No1 ranking should have more careful approach to her schedule and be able to give up from the secondary in the name of the main.
Kvitova, by contrast, wants to reach the top too quickly . And this nervousness, excessive pressure brought by the media, did her a bad favour so far. But I believe this year she'll reach No1."

Lena also talked about her expectation for the Russian players. She thinks Kuznetsova will do best (Vera and Sharapova need to play themselves into form, TOB's ankle injury), because she's experienced, has weapons and a good coach, has slight concerns about the heat stroke she got in Sydney 2rd.
Lena's predictions for the women's tournament are Vika and Kim (providing she's fully fit) as semifinalists from the top half, will looks out for Serena from the 3rd quarter and Kvitova is the favourite from the 4th quarter. She's sad that 11 of 12 Russian are in the same half and the same quarter with Serena and Kanepi, whom Lena considers a very unpleasant opponent at the moment.
Lena also talks about why AO is so interesting - it's the 1st slam of the year, most expected and unpredictable for fans and players. Everyone is looking at the others and noticing changes in the off season. Lena has a special attitude towards AO - it was her first GS tournament, qualified and lost to Hingis in 2r on centre court, had never played before on such a big court, was an invaluable experience. Also remembers the crazy 15-hour flight from Moscow, she couldn't imagine at that time the tennis season would start there for the next 12 years.
As a whole, in 2012 will be very interesting to see how players will adjust to the marathon summer schedule with RG, Wimbledon and the Olympics. That's why she wasn't surprised at the number of withdrawals in the 1st week of the season, nobody wants to put unnecessary risk to their health during this season which she calls a "5-slam" one.
As for the men, Lena's favourite is Murray for plenty of reasons - Novak, Rafa and Fed haven't recovered after a gruelling season; nice passable draw; inspired by the new coach; is in form and has already won a tournament.

NO ONE BUT LENA DEMENTIEVA
iva_ds87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 11:45 PM   #640
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

Thanks for the update.

Old Jan 16th, 2012, 05:43 AM   #641
country flag cowsonice

Nice to hear Lena is still interested in the game.

I wonder how the quote about Wozniacki would translate on GM

GO BEARS!
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 02:10 PM   #642
country flag itzhak

itzhak has a reputation beyond repute itzhak has a reputation beyond repute itzhak has a reputation beyond repute itzhak has a reputation beyond repute itzhak has a reputation beyond repute itzhak has a reputation beyond repute itzhak has a reputation beyond repute itzhak has a reputation beyond repute itzhak has a reputation beyond repute itzhak has a reputation beyond repute itzhak has a reputation beyond repute

Intersting column of Elena. In her previous interviews about the the tour she was admiring Wozniacki and was sure that she will get her slam soon against the "Anti-Caro" trend. she also mention in the article that Caroline is playing too much exhibitions and does not have the right priorities between small tournaments and the big ones.

In general she seems to be very update, it was also in other interviews before. I'm happy to see her every week doing that Hockey-Ice interviews (although I don't understand single word) but she is former Tennis star and her natural place is in the Tennis area, not Hockey-Ice (talking about non-sport issues...). I hope that we gonna hear, read and see her speaking or acting around the tennis issues more and more, this is her real future.
itzhak is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 11:22 PM   #643
country flag cowsonice

I can see Lena as being a Fed Cup coach for Russia one day

GO BEARS!
Old Jan 17th, 2012, 01:32 AM   #644
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

I want to write Last Flight confrontations with "Mommy Lena" and "Grandmommy Vera" in them one day.

Old Jan 17th, 2012, 11:33 PM   #645
country flag iva_ds87

iva_ds87 has a brilliant future iva_ds87 has a brilliant future iva_ds87 has a brilliant future iva_ds87 has a brilliant future iva_ds87 has a brilliant future iva_ds87 has a brilliant future iva_ds87 has a brilliant future iva_ds87 has a brilliant future iva_ds87 has a brilliant future iva_ds87 has a brilliant future iva_ds87 has a brilliant future

Seems like AO is the time we'll be getting Lena tennis-related articles
Valeria Savinykh (I remember someone of our Dutch posters liked her) said she admires most Lena and Clijsters.
Some stuff from Sport Express: This journalist saw Lena's glasses advert (Maui Jim?) at Domodedevo airport and also says that he asked her in December which player Lena though was most interesting, not most difficult for her to play against and response was "The Williams sisters, it's always been a special level of tennis"
Elena also does daily recaps notable results. Day 1 and Day 2 comments, nothing we didn't know already. She'll answer a question on AO related topics every day.

And this one required the biggest letters possible!!! Lena and Maxim talk about their romance!!! It's even better than the Kitchen episode!!! http://www.aif.ru/sport/article/48784

I'll translate it as soon as possible, for now enjoy it as it is.

NO ONE BUT LENA DEMENTIEVA
iva_ds87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote