Bovina's Herd: Elbo hits the Challenger Circuit - Page 101 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 29th, 2004, 04:17 AM   #1501
country flag TCBY Treats
Banned

TCBY Treats can only hope to improve TCBY Treats can only hope to improve TCBY Treats can only hope to improve TCBY Treats can only hope to improve TCBY Treats can only hope to improve TCBY Treats can only hope to improve TCBY Treats can only hope to improve TCBY Treats can only hope to improve TCBY Treats can only hope to improve TCBY Treats can only hope to improve
GL, you should just make your own web site instead of posting non-stop articles here.
TCBY Treats is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 29th, 2004, 04:22 AM   #1502
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
I like to look for quotes. The pics I find are all from Yahoo. They take a sec to post.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 04:28 AM   #1503
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
Sat Aug 28, 4:40 PM ET
Elena Bovina of Russia, reacts to the heat after hitting a shot against France's Nathalie Dechy during finals play at the New Haven Open Tennis Tournament in New Haven, Connecticut August 27, 2004. Bovina added her name to the list of Russians to watch at next week's U.S. Open when she beat Nathalie Dechy to win the New Haven Open on Saturday. The world number 27 survived a mid-match wobble against her French opponent before clinching the biggest title of her career 6-2 2-6 7-5. Temperatures on the court were estimated to have been over 100 degrees during the match.

Old Aug 29th, 2004, 04:33 AM   #1504
country flag TCBY Treats
Banned

TCBY Treats can only hope to improve TCBY Treats can only hope to improve TCBY Treats can only hope to improve TCBY Treats can only hope to improve TCBY Treats can only hope to improve TCBY Treats can only hope to improve TCBY Treats can only hope to improve TCBY Treats can only hope to improve TCBY Treats can only hope to improve TCBY Treats can only hope to improve
It looks weird that Yahoo always has to say New Haven Open Tennis Tournament in New Haven.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 05:21 AM   #1505
country flag TCBY Treats
Banned

Let the celebration continue.

I bet Lena is probably watching Friends tonight.

But, Tuesday, we go back to the grind of playing scrubs.

Marta Marrero.

Spank her. Demolish her. Establish dominance very early, and get off the court in a timely manner.

Our draw may be difficult... but 3rd round of a slam isn't all that bad. 80 points for it. 80 points that will be very important in the hope of obtaining some seeds during the indoor season. Where we shine brightest.

Look where we were before. Look where we are now. Be proud. Believe in yourself. Words cannot describe how proud I am of my Lena. Just keep playing with your big heart... and who knows what limits we can reach.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 07:11 AM   #1506
country flag Daniel

Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Daniel has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats

GO MARTINA HINGIS!!!!!!!!
Myskina, kirilenko, chakvetadze. Douchevina, Petrova, Clijsters, Zvonareva, Dementieva, Vaidiosava, Voskoboeva, !!!!!

Daniel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 03:02 PM   #1507
country flag goldenlox

Russian captures Pilot Pen for her third WTA title

By Rich DePreta
Staff Writer

August 29, 2004

NEW HAVEN -- If one had any doubts about the invasion of teenage Russian tennis players impacting the WTA Tour, doubt no more.

Anna Kournikova might be on an extended tennis hiatus but there's no discounting the long line of Russian girls her early career inspired to follow in her footsteps.

The 2004 New Haven Pilot Pen Tournament received a firsthand glimpse at part of the future of Russian tennis as Elena Bovina outlasted Nathalie Dechy of France, 6-2, 2-6, 7-5 in yesterday's singles championship final.

"It's been an amazing week for me," said Bovina, who hadn't captured a WTA Tour title since the 2002 Moscow and 2002 Quebec City. "I never thought I could win this tourney. I never truly pictured myself getting to the final. I just took it one match at a time."

The 21-year-old Bovina became the 2004 Pilot Pen titlist who could by conquering her U.S. Open doubles partner Dechy in a two-hour-and-two-minute match in grueling 100 degree heat with humidity off the charts.

"The match wasn't decided until the last few games," said Bovina, whose sister tried to call in congratulations on her cell phone during the media conference which was 1 a.m. Moscow time. "Even with the heat, I don't think winning the match was about who was stronger. It was about who was stronger mentally."

Bovina raced through the first set, 6-2, in 29 minutes as Dechy struggled with her first serves (57 percent).

"Nathalie and I practice together a lot," Bovina said. "At times, it felt to me like another practice match not a tournament final."

However, Bovina's groundstrokes took a scattershot approach in the second set as did her first serve percentage (59 percent). Meanwhile, Dechy raised her first serve percentage to 82 percent for a 6-2 win to even the match.

At that point, the players took a 10-minute break under the WTA Tour heat rule as the thermometer on the court registered 100 degrees.

"In the locker room, Nathalie said 'Bleep, it's so hot out there.'" Bovina recounted. "Then we tried to recover for the third set."

As the minutes ticked away, the realization of the championship at stake grew incrementally for both players.

"You're so excited the night before about playing in a final, you can't fall asleep," Bovina said. "Your heart beats two times faster. Then you finally realize it's normal to get that excited."

"I didn't sleep well because of the neck and back injury I suffered in Friday night's semifinal," Dechy said. "The French trainer did a good job working on my back and neck Saturday morning. She allowed me to be loose enough to play. My body was a little tight in the first set but got loose in the second set."

The third set was a roller-coaster ride that began with four service breaks as Bovina led 3-2.

At 3-3, Bovina literally served at love for her first easy game of the match and a 4-3 edge. Dechy held serve for a 4-4 tie.

In Game 9 Bovina started showing championship mettle and motivation for the $93,000 first prize. She overcame two break points then cashed in her third AD point of the game to lead 5-4.

"That game was my biggest opportunity," Dechy said. "I missed my chances to break her."

Bovina, employing serves of 100, 97 and 107 mph, held serve again for 6-5.

In Game 12, Dechy's first serve again malfunctioned on all five points as Bovina's powerful groundstrokes finally ruled the day as the crowd of 7,029 fans were finally free to go rehydrate.

"It was a tough match," Dechy said. "A few points made the difference."

It was Dechy's first final loss and third time she reached the semifinals without cashing in with a title in 2004. She still searches for her first WTA Tour crown since the 2003 Gold Coast -- where ironically she defeated Bovina in three sets including 7-5 in the third set.

Perhaps it won't be as extravagant a wedding following the U.S. Open for Dechy due to the $49,000 runner-up check.

"Losing in the finals is disappointing. But it was good to be here the last day," Dechy said. "It was good preparation for the U.S. Open. It was still a great week after being at the Olympics."

But the day ultimately belonged to Bovina.

"It's great to win a title since my last one was in 2002. It was a great match against a good friend," Bovina said. "It's great to have that feeling again. I'd like to win a couple more titles."

Old Aug 29th, 2004, 04:36 PM   #1508
country flag TCBY Treats
Banned

Not a couple more titles. 100 more.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 07:44 PM   #1509
the cat

the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute
Why are you so down on Maria, TT? She recently had a very good clay court season and a great grass court season culminating with her historic Wimbledon championship. If she doesn't make it to the second week of the 2004 U.S. Open I will be disspaointed but not shocked. Ups and downs are common for 17 year old female tennis players so Masha's lackluster hard court season thus far doesn't worry me. Masha's size, good serve, excellent ground strokes, sound technique and will to win give her the biggest upside in women's tennis.
Happiness is like a cat. If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you. It will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing up against your legs and jumping into your lap. - William Bennett

http://cornedbeefhash.files.wordpres...arcelona08.jpg
the cat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 08:05 PM   #1510
country flag TCBY Treats
Banned

I'm not down on Masha. But, she's simply not a Top 10 player on hardcourts. All Maria has proven in her 15 or so hardcourt tournaments, is that she can consistently beat the lowly ranked players. Last week was a bad match, against an opponent who played well, so I don't read too much into that.

But, if Pierce plays well, anything like last year's Open... I think Maria is done. Plus, Mary is a bad matchup.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 08:40 PM   #1511
the cat

the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute
Give Masha time and she will become a top player on hard courts.

And I don't think Pierce is a bad matchup for Masha. Masha is faster, younger and more athletic. I think Masha would like to hit against the pace of Pierce. I hope that match happens, TT. But I hope it's not a night match because Masha plays poorly at night.
Happiness is like a cat. If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you. It will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing up against your legs and jumping into your lap. - William Bennett

Old Aug 29th, 2004, 08:46 PM   #1512
country flag TCBY Treats
Banned

It won't be a night match, since it will be on Saturday, barring huge rain delays. CBS will definitely want to show it.

Pierce is a bad match-up, because she plays similar to Masha. But, with a much more reliable serve, and lots of experience. Masha is really going to have to be on her game to win that.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 08:49 PM   #1513
the cat

Maria will have to serve capably to make it to the second week of the U.S. Open. That's for sure.

Old Aug 29th, 2004, 08:51 PM   #1514
country flag TCBY Treats
Banned

Lena likely plays Davenport in the 3rd round. Marrero first.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 11:07 PM   #1515
country flag goldenlox

It Was So Hot ...

The heat was stifling during the singles final on Stadium Court, but Elena Bovina said she has played in worse conditions.

It was one of the first tournaments of her professional career and she was 15. The tournament was in El Paso, Texas, and the conditions were shoe-meltingly hot, she said.

"I mean the shoes would start to melt," Bovina said. "It was even hotter than today. I had to play through qualifying and I actually won it. I won like eight matches in one week. The final was a crazy match, too. It was like three sets ... and it was so difficult. But I found a way to get through it and I kind of knew I could handle those type of things. So it's nice to have that kind of experience."

Bovina beat Diana Ospina 3-6, 7-6 (5), 7-6 (1) in that final. ... Bovina's fastest serve was 112 mph at the Pilot Pen. Jennifer Capriati had the fastest serve in the tournament at 117 mph.