When your Dad is your Coach...When the Coach is your Dad - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 18th, 2011, 06:31 PM   #1
country flag Ian Aberdon

Ian Aberdon has disabled reputation
When your Dad is your Coach...When the Coach is your Dad

I note with interest that World No.1 Caroline Wozniacki has announced her dad Piotr is no longer her coach. Seems to have followed a falling out during Caro's loss to Christina McHale, although the decision itself may have had its roots after her loss at Wimbledon.

Sabs of course has her dad as coach too. It seems their relationship is much more cordial, however to get "to the next level" should Sabs contemplate doing the same, or just keep things as they are?

Is she happy with her progress since she arrived on the Tour with dad coaching her, or take a more ruthless approach to her career - would she be capable of taking such a decision, should the need ever arise?

Last edited by Ian Aberdon : Aug 18th, 2011 at 06:47 PM.
Ian Aberdon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 19th, 2011, 07:47 AM   #2
country flag Purple_Rain

Purple_Rain has much to be proud of Purple_Rain has much to be proud of Purple_Rain has much to be proud of Purple_Rain has much to be proud of Purple_Rain has much to be proud of Purple_Rain has much to be proud of Purple_Rain has much to be proud of Purple_Rain has much to be proud of Purple_Rain has much to be proud of Purple_Rain has much to be proud of Purple_Rain has much to be proud of
Re: When your Dad is your Coach...When the Coach is your Dad

It's too soon to say. Dads generally make bad coaches, but what Sabine has done with him this year is incredible. She has exceeded expectations, while Caro and other players with Daddy as coach have not. Give Sabine some time to play without injuries and then evaluate.

I'd start to consider it if one of two things happen:
1) She has an incident with her dad like Caro did with Piotr on Wednesday;
2) She underperforms at the USO and AO and doesn't do anything special at the tournaments in-between.
~~~
Special Mention: Jarka Gajdosova, queen headcase of the WTA
Purple_Rain is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 09:54 AM   #3
country flag Ian Aberdon

Thanks PR. There certainly seem to have been some crazy dads on the WTA circuit down the (more recent) years!

I was reading about Papa Radwanski yesterday, which I didn't know about; Piotr Wozniacki; Jim Pearce; Damir Dokic etc...

Pushy parent from Hell syndrome or what??!!

Thankfully Dr Richard Lisicki seems much more placid!
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 12:17 PM   #4
country flag Sabinator.

Sabinator. has a reputation beyond repute Sabinator. has a reputation beyond repute Sabinator. has a reputation beyond repute Sabinator. has a reputation beyond repute Sabinator. has a reputation beyond repute Sabinator. has a reputation beyond repute Sabinator. has a reputation beyond repute Sabinator. has a reputation beyond repute Sabinator. has a reputation beyond repute Sabinator. has a reputation beyond repute Sabinator. has a reputation beyond repute

Dr Richard Lisicki is completely different person than Robert or Piotr... I lihe him soo much! He's much calmer and not so possessive. Cenrtainly a lot of times you have heard "Bravo!" after Sabine's great points - then I know he's approves that, it still makes me laugh too Rarely uses coaching, and it may be well, because they get along well and don't need extra chat With him Sabina is growing wonderfully and I feel that this system still works fine

I have also heard that he teaches at the School of Physical Education in Wroclaw, where I'm studying now (but, unfortunately, not there )

Magdalena Rybarikova * Su-Wei Hsieh * Jie Zheng * Jamie Hampton * Mathilde Johansson * Mona Barthel * Aleksandra Wozniak * Alison Riske
Andrea Petkovic * Jana Cepelova * Petra Cetkovska * Jovana Jaksic * Karolina Pliskova * Svetlana Kuznetsova * Yvonne Meusburger * Francesca Schiavone

Last edited by Sabinator. : Aug 19th, 2011 at 12:22 PM.
Sabinator. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2011, 09:22 AM   #5
country flag Ian Aberdon

It was interesting to note that Sabine had her Mom out helping her, including on court, during the Texas Tennis Open. I presumed Dad was up in NYC, but maybe I'm wrong in that. I didn't know her Mom was capable of coaching. I suspect it was more motivational, & that Sabine knew how she had to play. Probably they spoke via phone or something.
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 09:11 AM   #6
country flag Ian Aberdon

Nice to see Sabine's dad back with her at Luxembourg, although all academic in the end with her pulling out.
Old Oct 20th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #7
country flag everythingtaboo

everythingtaboo is a splendid one to behold everythingtaboo is a splendid one to behold everythingtaboo is a splendid one to behold everythingtaboo is a splendid one to behold everythingtaboo is a splendid one to behold everythingtaboo is a splendid one to behold everythingtaboo is a splendid one to behold everythingtaboo is a splendid one to behold everythingtaboo is a splendid one to behold everythingtaboo is a splendid one to behold everythingtaboo is a splendid one to behold

I don't think Sabine's dad is anything like Piotr. He sat next to me during one of her matches at Hopman Cup in 2010 and he was so relaxed and calm. He even spoke to me and another guy on changeovers and between sets! Seems like the two have a great coaching relationship.
everythingtaboo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2011, 12:20 PM   #8
country flag Ian Aberdon

Sabine Lisicki
It was a special evening last night as my dad got an award for Coach of the Year! I´m very proud of him and thankful to have him as my dad & coach! Love you dad ♥

Ich liebe dich nicht, du liebst mich nicht it's a braw moonlicht nicht the nicht
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 02:28 AM   #9
country flag lovethetennis

lovethetennis is a splendid one to behold lovethetennis is a splendid one to behold lovethetennis is a splendid one to behold lovethetennis is a splendid one to behold lovethetennis is a splendid one to behold lovethetennis is a splendid one to behold lovethetennis is a splendid one to behold lovethetennis is a splendid one to behold lovethetennis is a splendid one to behold lovethetennis is a splendid one to behold lovethetennis is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Aberdon View Post
Sabine Lisicki
It was a special evening last night as my dad got an award for Coach of the Year! I´m very proud of him and thankful to have him as my dad & coach! Love you dad ♥
Sabine and her father get along so well Congrats to Dr. Richard
lovethetennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote