Ana Konjuh - Page 332 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2014, 08:14 AM   #4966
country flag RU90

RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of
Re: Ana Konjuh

Well-said, ma_re. This will help to keep our expectations in check.

I gained a lot of respect for Lauren Davis. She really turned the match around and ended up dominating. But I do think Ana fell off physically through the match, and that's understandable. She just couldn't play her game anymore and kind of lost the plot.

I noticed Ana tends to lose the rhythm on her serve, especially the second serve in the deuce court. That's a shame really, because it really can be a great serve. There's no reason for her to serve ten double-faults in a match. The ball toss gets too low sometimes and she has to catch it (too familiar for me as an Ana Ivanovic fan ). Besides that, it will take time to improve so that she can compete regularly on the main tour. It's normal. She will get physically stronger and that will help her maintain her level throughout matches.
RU90 is online now View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 1st, 2014, 08:20 AM   #4967
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute

This reminds me RU90, how I forgot to mention one interesting factor, and that's Ana's serve. For a set and a bit, it was very realiable, good percentage, virtually no double faults for an entire set. And then the story from yesterday started unfolding again. With the difference being that Vinci allowed Ana to play her game much more so than Davis did today. That was certainly an important part of the story.
ma re is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 08:45 AM   #4968
country flag Tecumseh

Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future

Davis played very well and i think she was slightly the favorite here anyway, so this loss is not a big deal.

Ana's debut on the WTA tour was impressive.
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 10:20 AM   #4969
country flag chingching

chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma re View Post

No, since she has to qualify there starting next week

So that's it folks huh? Not what we hoped for, but if someone offerd us a win over Vinci before the tournament, I'm pretty sure we'd all take it. Davis was just playing well and playing smart. She is quick on the court and powerful enough to neutralize most of Ana's attemtps. She just grinds until she gets what she wants and she should definately be congratulated on this performance. If she could play like this on a daily basis she'd be in top 20 already I'm sure.

Ana was doing the right thing in the first set, just keeping it agressive and varied enough, simply coming up with too many great solutions. But then as if something totally disrupted her (probably she herself) and she started playing shorter, more defensive, predictable and with much less variation to her game. This last thing was exactly the point of her coach's advice when he came on court, but once Davis got into her rhythm there was no going back. Ana just lost all focus, especially at the start of the third, after which she practically disappeared from the court. She was just trying something, but I'm not sure even she understood what that something was.

This is all understandable and a part of the normal learning process any youngester has to go through, so you just have to accept it and learn from it, there's no way around. This loss will sting I'm sure, especially after that huge result yesterday, but once she regains her focus she'll be ready for Melbourne, I don't doubt that at all. Now it's time to rest a bit and then hit the courts some more. I'm looking forward to next week already.
Basically the difference between Set 1 + Vinci match and Sets 2 and 3 is that Lauren started to make Ana run and attacking her shots plus not giving her as much direct pace to use. No offence to Ana but if Vinci did that against her she would not have won. Also Lauren attacked Ana's Serve Still, a wonderful tournament and she must have learnt a lot from this loss. Lauren also is much better now than last year

Kaia hit 24 Aces (the WTA record) vs Safarova Tokyo Round 1 2008
chingching is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 10:33 AM   #4970
country flag Hele.

Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to see Konjuh/Bencic play on WTA tour before they become rivals (as they used to at junior tour also before they became concurrents)
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 11:57 AM   #4971
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hele. View Post
I would like to see Konjuh/Bencic play on WTA tour before they become rivals (as they used to at junior tour also before they became concurrents)
Well, maybe you get your wish already in Melbourne, cause they'll both play there as far as I know

Speaking of which, I think this tournament can be a huge help to Ana in her preparations for the slam debut, as I can't see many (if any) girls in the quali draw cause too much trouble for her now that she's experienced tennis of a pretty high level just a week before the qualies. Of course, you can never know for sure what'll happen in the next tournament, but that's how I see it from current perspective.
ma re is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 12:28 PM   #4972
country flag Svizac

Svizac is a name known to all Svizac is a name known to all Svizac is a name known to all Svizac is a name known to all Svizac is a name known to all Svizac is a name known to all Svizac is a name known to all Svizac is a name known to all Svizac is a name known to all Svizac is a name known to all Svizac is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma re View Post
Speaking of which, I think this tournament can be a huge help to Ana in her preparations for the slam debut, as I can't see many (if any) girls in the quali draw cause too much trouble for her now that she's experienced tennis of a pretty high level just a week before the qualies. Of course, you can never know for sure what'll happen in the next tournament, but that's how I see it from current perspective.
well said ma re I agree
Svizac is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 01:37 PM   #4973
country flag croat123

croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute

another good performance. she had a lapse, as expected. shame she couldn't win the big points in the third set. now it's time to rest up a bit and go qualify in Melbourne hopefully she'll be on the live feed.
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 03:39 PM   #4974
country flag RU90

RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of

Someone said in GM that Ana has lost a set in her past 10 matches (even though she won many of those). I hope she learns to avoid having those lapses, directly tied to her serving rhythm.
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 05:58 PM   #4975
country flag Losing Streak

Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't watch the match. She's learning, that's all good

Krunya Kichenoks Pliskovas Bencic Vekic Kovinic Smitkova Svitolina Cirstea Mlad Garcia Rezai Pervak Jovanovski Mitu Savic Sasnovich Kremen Savinykh Evtimova Tomova Kalashnikova Milevskaya
Losing Streak is online now View My Blog!  
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 09:27 PM   #4976
country flag SAFAROVA_IS_GOAT

SAFAROVA_IS_GOAT has a brilliant future SAFAROVA_IS_GOAT has a brilliant future SAFAROVA_IS_GOAT has a brilliant future SAFAROVA_IS_GOAT has a brilliant future SAFAROVA_IS_GOAT has a brilliant future SAFAROVA_IS_GOAT has a brilliant future SAFAROVA_IS_GOAT has a brilliant future SAFAROVA_IS_GOAT has a brilliant future SAFAROVA_IS_GOAT has a brilliant future SAFAROVA_IS_GOAT has a brilliant future SAFAROVA_IS_GOAT has a brilliant future

Any interview after Lauren beat her?
Will she really try and play all year on WTA?
Not even high level ITF?
SAFAROVA_IS_GOAT is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 10:27 PM   #4977
country flag Hele.

Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFAROVA_IS_GOAT View Post
Will she really try and play all year on WTA?
That is what she said in her last interview (I have read by the end of last year).
Old Jan 2nd, 2014, 08:45 AM   #4978
country flag kittyking

kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies for the late post

Saw it all, she was very different to when I saw her the other night. She was nervous, stressed, and really didn't seem to enjoy herself out there... and that was after she relatively easily won the first set. Best of luck for her in Melbourne, she has gained at least one new fan this week
Old Jan 2nd, 2014, 08:48 AM   #4979
country flag ianchohr

ianchohr is a name known to all ianchohr is a name known to all ianchohr is a name known to all ianchohr is a name known to all ianchohr is a name known to all ianchohr is a name known to all ianchohr is a name known to all ianchohr is a name known to all ianchohr is a name known to all ianchohr is a name known to all ianchohr is a name known to all

Next event is AO Q?
Old Jan 2nd, 2014, 08:55 AM   #4980
country flag PrimaDonna

PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all PrimaDonna is a name known to all

I'm pretty sure that she will play some ITF's, no way she will be able to fill the whole schedule with just WTA tournaments. Only way to do this would be to
PrimaDonna is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread