Ana Konjuh - Page 269 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2013, 09:59 PM   #4021
country flag chingching

chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ana Konjuh

YAYAYAYAYAYAYA
Beat that pusher
Great for Ana to sweep all her Hard Court matches this year in Juniors
Pumped for Australian Open and Top 200 I may watch her

Kaia hit 24 Aces (the WTA record) vs Safarova Tokyo Round 1 2008
chingching is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 8th, 2013, 10:13 PM   #4022
country flag RU90

RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by guichard View Post
Since 90 : mauresmo, Capriati , davenport, Hingis, Azarenka
Plus Henin and Bartoli

Other notable former junior champions: Wozniacki, Jankovic, A. Radwanska
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 10:13 PM   #4023
country flag RU90

RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of

Quote:
By Dana Czapnik
Sunday, September 8, 2013

In front of a packed Court 11, Sunday's US Open girls’ singles final turned into a nearly three-hour battle, with No. 2 seed Ana Konjuh of Croatia outlasting unseeded American and crowd favorite Tornado Alicia Black, 3-6, 6-4, 7-6.

The 15-year-old Black showed no signs of intimidation, as she faced a player who had beaten her twice previously and was bigger, stronger and ranked higher, hanging tough throughout and pulling ahead to win the opening set before Konjuh, also 15, righted the ship.

Both girls had difficulty holding serve, particularly as the grueling match went on. Black had seven break-point opportunities in the third set, converting two, as the set wound its way into a deciding tiebreak. Black then gained the upper hand in the breaker, serving at 5-4, but lost both points on her serve to give Konjuh a match point. Black was able to fend that one off, but on her second try, Konjuh came through to secure her second junior Slam title of the year, in addition to her Australian Open crown.

Throughout the match, Black played a smart defensive game against Konjuh, who had a tough time mentally when she fell behind in her service games. Black hung back and stayed in points, waiting for Konjuh to commit an error. Konjuh double faulted eight times throughout the match, most of them coming at times when she had already fallen behind on her service game.

The power-serving Konjuh notched five aces in the match. Her serve and ground strokes were significantly more powerful than Black’s, but the American is a grinder and kept sending the ball back to Konjuh’s side of the net.

“She's really good on the baseline,” the champion said after the match. “I just had to play a lot of drop shots.”

In the second set, Black called a medical timeout to take care of a hamstring injury that bothered her before the match had even started, as she was sporting tape on her left leg at the start of the match.

“It was hurting a lot, but I was trying to focus on the match, not on my leg,” Black said of the injury.

Though this was a disappointing loss for Black because of how close she was to taking home the win, she plans to learn from the experience and use her success in only her second Grand Slam junior event as a spring board.

“Hopefully next year I will get to go to the Australian and go to the French and Wimbledon. That will be exciting,” she said.

For the young Konjuh, the victory at the US Open caps off an impressive year, with winning two of the four major junior titles and her current ranking of No. 2 in the ITF World Junior Rankings.

“It was really good year,” she said smiling. “I had really some good results, and I'm really happy.”
http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/art...670231738.html

Last edited by RU90 : Sep 9th, 2013 at 01:33 AM.
RU90 is online now View My Blog!  
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 10:24 PM   #4024
country flag guichard

guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by RU90 View Post
Plus Henin and Bartoli

Other notable former junior champions: Wozniacki, Jankovic, A. Radwanska
Yup I knew I was forgetting one or two

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
guichard is online now View My Blog!  
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 01:39 AM   #4025
country flag RU90

Captions here: http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/gal...661895743.html

Last edited by RU90 : Sep 9th, 2013 at 04:04 AM.
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 01:47 AM   #4026
country flag RU90

Thanks, coach!

Majoli on the left

moment of victory

Zimbio: http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Ana+Kon...14/4kcBm35fR-q

Last edited by RU90 : Sep 9th, 2013 at 01:52 AM.
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 02:45 AM   #4027
country flag guichard

guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future

another good article http://www.itftennis.com/juniors/new...in-titles.aspx
guichard is online now View My Blog!  
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 03:27 AM   #4028
country flag RU90

Quote:
CORIC AND KONJUH GIVE CROATIA SWEEP OF US OPEN JUNIOR SINGLES CHAMPIONSHIPS

©Colette Lewis 2013--
Flushing Meadows, NY--

Friends for seven years, Croatia's Borna Coric and Ana Konjuh have watched each other progress through the junior ranks. In Sunday afternoon's US Open Junior Championships, but both came back from a set down against unseeded opponents to reach the pinnacle of junior success: a junior slam singles title.

Konjuh needed to summon every ounce of poise and experience to outlast wild card Tornado Alicia Black of the United States 3-6, 6-4, 7-6(6), while Coric defeated Australia's Thanaski Kokkinakis 3-6, 6-3, 6-1.

Black and the second-seeded Konjuh battled for over two hours and 45 minutes in front of a large and decidedly pro-American Court 11 crowd before the 15-year-old Croatian secured the final point and her second junior slam title.

Black set the tone early, having no difficulty with Konjuh's ferocious pace, countering it effectively and staying in points long enough for Konjuh to hit a winner, or more likely, an error. Black broke for a 4-2 lead, only to be broken right back, but she got yet another break from Konjuh, whose first serve percentage for the match was under 50 percent.

Black, several months younger than Konjuh and playing in only her second junior slam main draw, easily held the next service game, energizing the crowd, which grew larger with every point Black won. Shouts of "Let's go USA," and "C'mon Alicia" were frequently heard, as both the American empathy for the underdog and Black's determination made her a crowd favorite.

"It was really nice from the U.S. that they came out there and supported me," said Black, who lost to Konjuh at last year's US Open Juniors in three sets and at the Orange Bowl in straight sets. "I was really happy. I loved them out there."

Konjuh said she understood she wouldn't have much support from the spectators during the match, but that only increased her motivation.

"Well, it's always tough," said the right-hander from Zagreb. "I mean, she's American, that's normal. But somehow that gave me even more power to win, and I'm really happy I had my team out there. They were also loud for me."

The crowd helped Black recover from a 2-0 deficit in the second set, and waited patiently for her to return from off-court treatment on her heavily bandaged left thigh with Konjuh leading 4-3 on serve in the second set.

"I was hurting a lot," Black said, "but I was trying to focus on the match, and not my leg."

Black saved a break point to make it 4-4, and had a chance to go up 5-4 in a four-deuce game, but Konjuh came up with a good second serve to save that break point, and held.

Serving at 4-5, Black had a 30-0 lead, but a double fault and two rare unforced errors from Black gave Konjuh as set point, and she converted when Black's forehand sailed pass the baseline after a long and intense rally.

Konjuh was broken to start the third set, but won the next three games, only to get broken again. Black held for 3-3, and Konjuh stayed in front but only after saving another break point, this time with a brave forehand winner in another long game. At 5-5, Konjuh saved another break point with another inside out forehand winner, then had a bit of good fortune when she took the game on a lucky net cord winner.

Black was taken to deuce in the next game, but Konjuh made two unforced errors and a tiebreaker would decide the championship for only the second time in the 40-year history of the girls tournament.

Konjuh contributed four unforced errors, including a double fault, to go from a 2-0 lead to a 4-2 deficit in the tiebreaker, and Black led 5-3 when Konjuh missed a forehand volley. But Konjuh kept going for the lines, despite what was at stake, and her forehand found a line to make it 5-4. Black missed a forehand long for 5-5, then Konjuh hit a forehand cross court for a winner to give herself a match point. Black saved with a good backhand that forced a nervous-looking error from Konjuh. Konjuh earned her second match point with a forehand that Black's slice couldn't neutralize, and Konjuh converted it when Black's forehand landed wide.

Konjuh admitted luck played a role in the outcome.

"Luck was also one of the things," Konjuh said. "But I gave 100 percent of myself out there on the court. We played almost three hours, just bad luck for her. She made really good results here, and I just said to myself, don't do stupid mistakes, you know. Just keep the ball in the court, and she's gonna miss somehow."

Konjuh also revealed that Black's aggressive counterpunching style is not the game she likes to face.

"She's really good on the baseline, she doesn't miss a lot," Konjuh said. "That kind of game doesn't suit me. I'm going for a winner a lot, and I don't want to play long points and grind. I had to this match, and I'm really happy that I managed to do it."

Konjuh has said in several press conferences that this is her last junior event, and she will concentrate now on improving her WTA ranking which is now at 284.
http://tenniskalamazoo.blogspot.com/...-sweep-of.html (click for Coric's win, which I left out from above)
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 03:34 AM   #4029
country flag RU90

Ana Konjuh ‏@anakonjuh 5h
uff..what a day !! me and @borna_coric won the #usopenjuniorchampionship thank you for your support guys ,had an amazing week here! #happy

Ana Konjuh ‏@anakonjuh 22m
celebrating my #usopen win thank you guys for all the support ,love you

She's adorable!
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 04:23 AM   #4030
country flag networthy

networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future

Another nice accomplishment for Ana today: WTA CH ranking #278
networthy is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 06:31 AM   #4031
country flag chingching

chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute

They asked her where Donna was training
I felt bad for her over the Amateur thing So I was right She is professional

Kaia hit 24 Aces (the WTA record) vs Safarova Tokyo Round 1 2008
chingching is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 06:45 AM   #4032
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Shout View Post
so, this has been her last juniors match. i'm wondering about something though.. young players are allowed to participate in a pretty small amount of tournaments during the year (12 tournaments a year for a 16 year old, for example).
doesn't that mean that she'll be forced to have a lot of time off during the season, because of these restrictions?
She'll be able to also play Fed Cup, not to mention that she'll have 2 extra tournaments to play, one for each junior grand slam she won this year so altogether it'll be at least 15 events and that's not so little.

Anyway, finally to say something about all this, cause that end to a match was a bit much for me yesterday, just draining to watch even via scoreboard and stats. Ana won another tough one, on another bad day at the office. Service problems, unforced errors and pretty much all the stats against her, not to mention a tricky opponent, but somehow she still managed to find a way. What an incredible story and a way to finish things off with the juniors. I hope this secures her #2, cause she'll have a bit over 400 points coming off by the year's end (for not playing Eddie Herr G1 and Orange Bowl GA), but with 337,5 that she'll get for USO (singles+doubles-6th best results coming off) she should be at 1667,5 and I don't think Siniakova or Krejcikova can do anything about that (at 1182,5 and 1080 respectively). Bencic will also have something like 300 points coming off in the same period, but with Ana not playing juniors anymore and others too far behind, she is certain to finish 2013 as #1.

But rankings are really not as important now as this title, some more media attention and a merited increase are. This'll surely give her some extra confidence for the upcoming challengers and that's never a bad thing, but also some food for thought on how to handle pushers like Black in the future.

Congrats Konjuh team, you guys really left a mark in the ITF junior circuit

Last edited by ma re : Sep 9th, 2013 at 09:08 AM.
ma re is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 01:19 PM   #4033
country flag Hele.

Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute

News on her arm?? Pleaseee!
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 01:21 PM   #4034
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hele. View Post
News on her arm?? Pleaseee!
Haven't heard anyhing new on that topic, surgery is postponed until further notice.
ma re is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 03:52 PM   #4035
country flag Rex59

Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of

Stateside link from the USO site on her post-match video interview with transcript (don't know if it'll take here):

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/int...673647831.html
Rex59 is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread