Petra’s US Open Series Thread (2012 discussion starts on page 29) - Page 106 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 4th, 2012, 12:31 AM   #1576
country flag steni

steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future
Re: Petra’s US Open Series Thread (2012 discussion starts on page 29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
See Steni, I try not to speak in stereotypes and generalities.

I just bolded what you said about Kerber. What in the world you think Petra did and said the past few years to become a Grand Slam Champion last year (and semi-finalist two years ago).....? She got fitter of course.

I'm not trying to poo poo what you're saying. Not at all. I just don't see how Kerber, Radwanska or Serena are generally fitter than Petra (the past two years).

Yeah, Petra conditioning was up and down this year, due to various reasons. And of course she can get better and improve all aspects of her game more. But I just don't think you gave your best examples. Serena has to carefully schedule her matches to avoid burn out. Aga's always hurt. And Kerber can get worn down, evidenced by some bad losses.

And in regards to Masha and Vika, they've rested and sat out many tournaments. So their conditioning may not be any better, their just smart enough to sit/claim injuries.

Petra didn't do that this summer, cause she was already behind the 8 ball. Should she had skipped New Haven in retrospect; probably!? But guess what, most of the US Open series players (Petra, Cibulkova, Kerber, Li Na, etc.) are out the US Open as well. So Petra's not alone, and played more tennis than them.

All we can do now, is look toward the Asian swing and European indoor hard court season.
I still think they are in better shape this year, and probably thanks to better scheduling and luck. We will see what happen in Asia.
steni is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 4th, 2012, 12:59 AM   #1577
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by steni View Post
I still think they are in better shape this year, and probably thanks to better scheduling and luck. We will see what happen in Asia.
Don't get me wrong Steni.

I'm not saying Petra was in the best shape through May.... No. She couldn't of been (particularly from March to May).

But obviously she turned things around, and went deep into all her US Open series event in the dead summer (albeit with a 4th rd US Open ouster). She should be complimented on her run.

After a three week rest, let's see how she does in the Asian and Indoor swing at the end of the year?

I'm also curious to see how she does at the YEC again if/when she makes it?

Petra was the first person to win the YEC her first year. That just illustrated her talent and ability right there. Many expected a carry over in 2012.

You almost feel like Petra walked away from the responsibility/hype walking into 2012.

Hopefully, she progresses in that department this year (as well as her game, fitness/lack of injury and belief). But it all starts in Asia. And we hope Petra continues to mature as a Tennis player, as she travels the world, since she didn't do it much as a Junior.
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 03:09 PM   #1578
country flag Synth

Synth is a name known to all Synth is a name known to all Synth is a name known to all Synth is a name known to all Synth is a name known to all Synth is a name known to all Synth is a name known to all Synth is a name known to all Synth is a name known to all Synth is a name known to all Synth is a name known to all

Quote:
Petra was the first person to win the YEC her first year. That just illustrated her talent and ability right there. Many expected a carry over in 2012.

You almost feel like Petra walked away from the responsibility/hype walking into 2012.

Hopefully, she progresses in that department this year (as well as her game, fitness/lack of injury and belief). But it all starts in Asia. And we hope Petra continues to mature as a Tennis player, as she travels the world, since she didn't do it much as a Junior.
QFT. She needs to embrace the mantle of a top player and face it head on. Looking forward to the asian swing and seeing how she responds. Hopefully she'll nab another title before the YEC- ideally with a victory over Azarenka/Sharapova/Serena.
Synth is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 09:43 PM   #1579
country flag mikireturns

mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future
I think 2012 was very much a transitional year for Petra in terms of realizing that she CAN dominate the tour, that she CAN place herself above the rest of the pack (and that includes Serena -- who is awesome but aging nonetheless).

The whole "trip" must have been mentally daunting for Petra, but she certainly made great strides this summer. Yeah ... She has to meet the responsibility of being a potential Hall-of-Fame player head-on. Total fitness. Total fine-tuning of her all-court game. Total hunger for glory. Anything less and she will just fritter-away her greatness.

But I believe Petra has that champion's hunger that comes to only the Greatest Ones. We will see how she copes this Autumn and Winter. I expect big results. My only worry is that sloppy Grand Slam meltdowns will impair her confidence on the big stages.

Let's hope for at least an Australian and Wimbledon title next year. If everything is in working order, those are hers for the taking. Maybe the French, too.

But I believe

Sent from my iPhone using VS Free
mikireturns is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 09:51 PM   #1580
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikireturns View Post
I think 2012 was very much a transitional year for Petra in terms of realizing that she CAN dominate the tour, that she CAN place herself above the rest of the pack (and that includes Serena -- who is awesome but aging nonetheless).

The whole "trip" must have been mentally daunting for Petra, but she certainly made great strides this summer. Yeah ... She has to meet the responsibility of being a potential Hall-of-Fame player head-on. Total fitness. Total fine-tuning of her all-court game. Total hunger for glory. Anything less and she will just fritter-away her greatness.

But I believe Petra has that champion's hunger that comes to only the Greatest Ones. We will see how she copes this Autumn and Winter. I expect big results. My only worry is that sloppy Grand Slam meltdowns will impair her confidence on the big stages.

Let's hope for at least an Australian and Wimbledon title next year. If everything is in working order, those are hers for the taking. Maybe the French, too.

But I believe

Sent from my iPhone using VS Free
You know if you would of asked me last year, or the beginning of this year, I would of picked Petra to win Wimby, The French, and maybe The Australian in 2012.

Now (after this year), I'm not so sure. Lol.

But it would only make sense, that Petra would do all those crazy things next year.

However, with out seeing her play a match the rest of this year, mind you next year, I'll keep my humble opinions and predictions to myself until a later time (especially after what I saw Sunday).
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 02:07 AM   #1581
country flag Vikapower

Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius View Post
This. Vikapower won't like it, but one of the reasons Azarenka and Radwanska are ranked 1# and #2 and have had so much success this year is that they haven't met a girl that is 7-0 against them in the last seven matches.

Not their fault obviously, but how different Petra's year could have looked if she had drawn them instead of Maria 3x and Serena 1x?

Moreover, if Petra had beaten Kerber in Rome and Bartoli now in NYC, who would have she played against in the next round? You know the answer - another two matches against Sharpie, making it five in total this year!
Nah, Petronius it's cool -- You know, your question can be very easily countered, Victoria has played Serena 5 times (2011 + 2012) and another 6th time in the US Open 2012 F -- what would Petra's 2011 year have looked like if Serena hadn't been out for injury and played her best tennis in 2011 ?

Serena is the pretty much the absolute reference on the WTA tour -- I know you're trying to use the fact that Victoria hasn't met Petra to say that Victoria doesn't deserve anything she's done this season (which is false) as an argument of defense and owes Petra all recognition for her success (which is also false) --

In return though, Petra has won everything while Serena being absent --

You see I don't want to be reaching to this stage of disrespecting players work and achievements -- Victoria has faced Serena 6 times in two years and there's no other players she factually needs to meet because Serena is the reference.

Quote:
This again clearly indicates that draws can have big impact on top players' season results and rankings, as tennis is a lot about match-ups (see e.g. Federer-Nadal).

I hope Petra is drawn with Azarenka and Radwanska in the same group at the YEC and show them who's the boss.

I plan to start a thread "How would have Azarenka's and Radwanska's season looked like, had Kvitova drawn them instead of Sharapova and Serena?"
Statistically

1. Victoria, top 10 faced 21, top 20 : 10 (w/l 9-1)
2. Sharapova, top 10 faced 15, top 20 : 7 (w/l 6-1)
3. Radwanska, top 10 faced 14, top 20 : 6 (w/l 5-1)
4. Petra, top 10 faced 9, top 20 : 9 (w/l (w/l 7-2)

So if by your definition draw can impact a player's season so then why Petra with significantly less difficult draws doesn't have a better season than Victoria, Maria, Radwanska and Serena ?

You see, this is why I don't like these kinds of digs because it's disrespecting player's work and achievements -- Petra has had a pretty good season and if we use your own logic she's made worse than she actually is.

SIDENOTE : You seem to not know the H2h of Serena versus Vika, it's 10-1 (I included tomorrow's defeat).

Victoria is the active player who've met Serena the most over the last 3 years (9 times and counting) and 6 times in 2 years. She's also the active player who've met Serena the most in majors (7 times now) for comparison :

In majors (active/retired)

Venus and Serena have met 12 times
Victoria and Serena have met 7 times
Justine and Serena 7 times.
Capriati and Serena 7 times.
Mauresmo and Serena 6 times
Davenport and Serena 4 times.
Sharapova and Serena 4 times.
Clijsters and Serena 3 times.
Petra and Serena 3 times.

Victoria had not yet even hit her prime that she had already met her 6 times (Including 3 consecutive times in AO alone (2008, 2009, 2010)). Serena has denied her 4 slams, AO 2009/2010, Wimbledon 2012 and US Open 2012

Last edited by Vikapower : Sep 8th, 2012 at 02:44 AM.
Vikapower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 02:20 AM   #1582
country flag Vikapower

Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So I hear what you're saying Vika power. But that' appears like an overreaction and projecting. Different players have different styles, which can garner both different and similar results. Petra may not (or maybe she will) week in week out advance in tournaments like a Radwanska, but still may end up with more points or tournament wins (and more than likely Grand Slams).
True.

Well I agree on the game-styles but what we wish is that she consistently gets deep in each and every tournament -- I'm not inventing nothing since this is the standards of the top 4 players this year.

Can't recall what was the last big F where 1 or 2 more players of the big 4 were not participants -- so what's the solution for Petra to actually reach to this kind of level ?

It's very certainly consistency and solidity (= bringing her style closer to the Radws and Vikas, Masha's and etc. top player of this world), she's been working on that because it's obvious as of today 2012, super-risky tennis is a little bit too volatile to actually gather the goods week in and out like the other elite players do. (<-- we're speaking domination right ?)

Quote:
How would Petra's year had been if she would of played Vika at the Australian (1+ month after Petra beat Vika in the YEC for the 4trh time in a row) and Radwanksa-who she's also whupped up on in the other two majors, instead of Masha and and Serena 3X?
See response to Petronius.

Quote:
Come on now Vikapower. You can't compare Petra to Julia Georges and the like. Our dissapointment is in Petra not winning majors or P-Mand and P-5 tournaments. Julia Georges and some of those other players you mentioned, can't even get out of the 2nd or third round, mind you win these tournaments.

I know you like those players. But the two (and the like) aren't even remotely close. Geesh! Lol
Ok that's true I concede, that was a little bit slack from my side.
Vikapower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #1583
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikapower View Post
Nah, Petronius it's cool -- You know, your question can be very easily countered, Victoria has played Serena 5 times (2011 + 2012) and another 6th time in the US Open 2012 F -- what would Petra's 2011 year have looked like if Serena hadn't been out for injury and played her best tennis in 2011 ?

Serena is the pretty much the absolute reference on the WTA tour -- I know you're trying to use the fact that Victoria hasn't met Petra to say that Victoria doesn't deserve anything she's done this season (which is false) as an argument of defense and owes Petra all recognition for her success (which is also false) --

In return though, Petra has won everything while Serena being absent --

You see I don't want to be reaching to this stage of disrespecting players work and achievements -- Victoria has faced Serena 6 times in two years and there's no other players she factually needs to meet because Serena is the reference.

Statistically

1. Victoria, top 10 faced 21, top 20 : 10 (w/l 9-1)
2. Sharapova, top 10 faced 15, top 20 : 7 (w/l 6-1)
3. Radwanska, top 10 faced 14, top 20 : 6 (w/l 5-1)
4. Petra, top 10 faced 9, top 20 : 9 (w/l (w/l 7-2)

So if by your definition draw can impact a player's season so then why Petra with significantly less difficult draws doesn't have a better season than Victoria, Maria, Radwanska and Serena ?

You see, this is why I don't like these kinds of digs because it's disrespecting player's work and achievements -- Petra has had a pretty good season and if we use your own logic she's made worse than she actually is.

SIDENOTE : You seem to not know the H2h of Serena versus Vika, it's 10-1 (I included tomorrow's defeat).

Victoria is the active player who've met Serena the most over the last 3 years (9 times and counting) and 6 times in 2 years. She's also the active player who've met Serena the most in majors (7 times now) for comparison :

In majors (active/retired)

Venus and Serena have met 12 times
Victoria and Serena have met 7 times
Justine and Serena 7 times.
Capriati and Serena 7 times.
Mauresmo and Serena 6 times
Davenport and Serena 4 times.
Sharapova and Serena 4 times.
Clijsters and Serena 3 times.
Petra and Serena 3 times.

Victoria had not yet even hit her prime that she had already met her 6 times (Including 3 consecutive times in AO alone (2008, 2009, 2010)). Serena has denied her 4 slams, AO 2009/2010, Wimbledon 2012 and US Open 2012
Agree with you wholeheartedly with the Serena-Petra thing. Petra is not delusional, even her coach knew very well in 2011 that a healthy Serena was still the best female player out there.

No biggie. But it's a pity that Petra haven't had a chance to play Azarenka/Radwanska in a semi this year, drawing Sharpie/Serena instead.

But this 'randomness' factor will always exist.

And I'm not going to argue with any statistics. Petra has shown us during this US season that things can change very quickly, with her US hardcourt record improving drastically year on year.

Petronius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #1584
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

On a side note, Petra has been rarely one of the weakest links in the Czech team at this year's US Open, with other Czech players reaching semis or finals in men's singles, men's doubles and women's doubles. I hope she followed her compatriots' results carefully and will reach at least the semi next year

EDIT: I forgot that Peschke and Hradecka reached finals and semis respectively in mixed doubles so women's singles was the only fail for the Czech team. Petra

Good luck in Asia.

Last edited by Petronius : Sep 9th, 2012 at 03:09 PM.
Petronius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote