Anna Kournikova cheering team.. - Page 46 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 13th, 2006, 02:46 PM   #676
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
Anna's new journal entry -

On the Road with World Team Tennis Hi Everybody:

I just returned from a five day road trip where I played my first three matches for World Team Tennis. I always have so much fun playing WTT as it gets me back on the court and in front of the fans again. The format of WTT is really great for me because it really allows me to still compete without the strain on my body that is needed to play on a professional level. I love that people can come out and really enjoy the match and get involved as we play! And of course I love being on the court.

I started in Wilmington, Delaware on July 6th where we played against the Delaware Smash. I played mixed doubles with Sam Warburg against Angela Haynes /Tres Davis and doubles with Bethany Mattek (who was a sub player for Elena Likhovtseva while Elena finished up at Wimbledon) against Angela Haynes/Mariaan deSwardt. Unfortunately Bethany hurt her ankle during her singles match… I hope she feels better soon. Caps 13/Smash 25.

From Delaware we drove to New York to play the NY Sportimes on July 8th. I again played mixed doubles with Sam Warburg. We played against David Martin/Ashley Harkleroad and doubles with Abigail Spears (who was the sub player for Bethany Mattek – who was hurt in Delaware) against Ashley Harkleroad/Vladka Uhlirova. With the score tied Abi and I played the super tiebreaker, which was really exciting! Caps 19/Sportimes 18.

Next it was on to Boston to play the Lobsters on July 9th. Coach Bryan (not to mention the father of the Bob and Mike Bryan - Wimbledon men’s doubles champions) decided to switch it up and I played mixed doubles with my old partner Mark Knowles who had just flown in from Wimbledon where he played and won the longest doubles match in Grand Slam history… 6 hours 9 minutes. We played against Amir Hadad/Nicole Pratt and again played doubles with Abi Spears against Kristen Schlukebir/Nicole Prat. Caps 18/Lobsters 24.

It was so great to be part of a team with such a wonderful people. I got spend time with old friends as well as meet some new up and coming players. I feel such team spirit because we all get along so well and have so much fun on court!

I am now at home resting for a few days before we hit St. Louis and Sacramento next week.

Again if anyone is interested in coming out to any of the matches check out the websites listed below for tickets. I hope to see some of you there!

GO CAPS!

WTT Schedule

Monday – July 17, 2006 - Sacramento Capitals at St. Louis Aces
Wednesday – July 19, 2006 - Sacramento Capitals vs. Springfield Lasers
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 20th, 2006, 02:52 PM   #677
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
Tawdry tabloids, and a little tennis, too

Anna Kournikova is a mainstream celeb - with all the highs and lows

By Tim Casey -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 12:01 am PDT Wednesday, July 19, 2006

As reports of her weight loss recently surfaced in gossip pages worldwide, leading to rumors of an eating disorder, Anna Kournikova responded through her column in Elle magazine.

Blared the New York Post: "ANNA-REXIC TURNS BOUNCY INTO BONY -- SCARY SKINNY LOOK ON COURT."

Wrote Kournikova: "I'm naturally long, lean and lanky. … For nearly 15 years, I spent six hours a day on the court. … Now, almost three years have passed since I was on the court full-time, and my body has changed again."

Kournikova explained at a Tuesday news conference at the Arden Hills Resort Club and Spa in Carmichael that her new, sleek look is because of the back injury that knocked her out of the WTA Tour in 2003.

Now playing tennis every other day and working out less, Kournikova says she has lost muscle tone.

"I'm just not working out as much," she said, wearing a black adidas outfit. "It's a different kind of workout. I'm not spending so many hours on the court anymore."

The recent tabloid headlines reinforced two inalienable truths.

When it pertains to celebrities, no subject is off limits.

And, although she hasn't played a WTA Tour match since 2003, Kournikova remains an A-list star.

Tonight, The Anna Show comes to Sacramento when Kournikova competes for the Capitals against the Springfield Lasers, her only home match of the World TeamTennis season. Not surprisingly, team officials expect a sellout of 4,300.

Most fans likely aren't coming to see the Capitals, Lasers or even tennis. Many eyes at Allstate Stadium at Sunrise Mall will focus on the 25-year-old Russian blonde who long ago crossed into the mainstream.

In December, Yahoo released its list of the 10 most popular sports search terms of 2005. Kournikova was seventh. The six above her? NFL, NASCAR, Major League Baseball, NBA, Maria Sharapova and Dallas Cowboys.

Last week, the Capitals had a full crowd when Pete Sampras played. It'll be a different scene tonight.

"She has a broader appeal (than Sampras)," Capitals co-owner Ben Combs said. "I joked around when we got her. She appeals to men from 9 to 90. She creates a buzz."

By now, the Capitals are accustomed to the hoopla surrounding Kournikova. This is her second season with Sacramento and fourth in WTT.

She has played four road matches in the past two weeks. In each city, shrieking fans asked for autographs and photographs and generally did anything to be in her presence.

Tuesday night at Arden Hills, Kournikova attended a sponsor's event, mingled with fans and attended a fashion show.

"She gets chased around all the time," Capitals coach Wayne Bryan said. "She's probably the most recognizable woman athlete in the world."

Still, Bryan insists the incessant attention hasn't given Kournikova an out-of-control ego.

Kournikova interacts easily with her teammates and has strong ties to two Capitals -- countrywoman Elena Likhovtseva and Mark Knowles, her mixed doubles partner while on tour.

Plus, it's an easygoing group, making her transition easier.

Driving together in a van from the St. Louis airport to the Ritz-Carlton on Monday, the Capitals played a game of "Name That Tune." Bryan had CDs from Rod Stewart and Ray Charles and asked the players, Kournikova included, to identify the songs.

"We like to have a lot of fun, a lot of laughs," Bryan said. "And she just fits in. She really enjoys it all. She's just one of the gang, you know?"

As for her tennis? Once as high as eighth in the world in singles, Kournikova plays only doubles now, partnering with Knowles and Likhovtseva.

Kournikova has not officially retired. She plays tennis and works out a few times a week near her home in Miami, still hopeful of returning to the WTA Tour. Martina Hingis' comeback late last year after battling ankle injuries inspired Kournikova.

"It definitely sparked my curiosity," Kournikova said. "It would be so cool. At the same time, I look at it realistically. I only want to come back if I'm 100 percent, both physically and mentally."

She's neither now and likely won't have another chance to strengthen her on-court reputation.

Criticized for never winning a singles title, Kournikova confounded tennis pros. She dazzled them with her athleticism and ability. At the same time, they questioned her dedication and strategy.

In 2002, she hired former top-10 pro Harold Solomon as her coach, a sign to many that she finally was serious about winning and learning how to construct a game plan. Still, she already was experiencing back pain and never regained her health.

"There's no question the talent was there," Solomon said in a telephone interview from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., where he runs a junior tennis academy. "She never played high-percentage tennis. She went for her shots all the time. But she had some of the best hands in women's tennis, and she was quick.

"She was very capable, very talented. When she was on, she was one of the best. Who knows what could have happened?"

Kournikova already might have reached her tennis peak. Her popularity, though, doesn't appear to be diminishing.

She dates Latin pop singer Enrique Iglesias. She sits courtside at sporting events. She appears in the tabloids.

She's experiencing the glamorous life of a celebrity. And, judging from the recent unsubstantiated rumors, she knows all too well about the trappings that come with her status.

"I really am not sure," she said of her continued popularity. "There's an incredible, abnormal amount of obsession with tabloids and stuff like that. Maybe that's part of it. But hopefully I can use (the attention) in a positive, good way."

Springfield at Capitals

Today: 7:30 p.m.

Where: Allstate Stadium at Sunrise Mall, Citrus Heights.

Capitals roster: Mark Knowles, Anna Kournikova, Elena Likhovtseva, Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova and Sam Warburg.

Springfield Lasers roster: Victoria Azarenka, Nick Monroe, Andreea Vanc and Alex Vlaski.

Tickets: $25-$99.50. Call (916) 638-4001 or visit www.saccapitals.com for information.
About the writer:

Old Jul 20th, 2006, 02:53 PM   #678
country flag goldenlox

The net result? Anna charming

By Tim Casey -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 12:01 am PDT Thursday, July 20, 2006

Anna Kournikova has spent less than three days in Sacramento. Ever. And yet, she's already sold on the city, its passionate fan base and her Capitals teammates.

A marketing ploy? Perhaps, considering her promotional skills.

Still, she seemed genuinely pleased with her second stop here.

In her only appearance this summer at Allstate Stadium at Sunrise Mall, Kournikova received a hearty welcome Wednesday from an announced crowd of 4,123.

Kournikova split her two sets, winning 5-3 in mixed doubles with Mark Knowles and losing 5-3 in women's doubles with Elena Likhovtseva as the Capitals defeated the Springfield Lasers 19-17.

Sacramento (7-3) pulled within one-half game of firstplace Springfield (7-2) in the Western Conference of World TeamTennis.

Despite her popularity, Kournikova's appearance didn't create chaos. With two security guards flanking Kournikova, most fans gave her space, even when she signed 50 autographs afterward.

Before Kournikova returned her first serve, one male fan screamed, "Let's go, Anna," although "Let's go, Caps" chants were more prevalent. And several fans took photos of Kournikova while she served for the first time, causing the public address announcer to warn, "No flash photography during the serve."

There were no more interruptions.

"It's so cool," said Kournikova, who hasn't played on the WTA Tour since 2003 because of a back injury. "There's so much support. … It was very laid-back. Everyone was just so nice."

Last summer, Kournikova spent less than 24 hours in Sacramento. For this match, she arrived Tuesday afternoon and attended a sponsors' event, news conference and fashion show.

Sitting at a dais with her teammates, Kournikova displayed her bubbly, outgoing personality. She joked that Knowles, a good friend, was her boyfriend. (For the record, Kournikova is still dating Enrique Iglesias, while Knowles and his wife have a 10-month-old son.) She also discussed traveling with the Capitals, riding in a van and interacting with people she respects.

"I really have a great time doing this," said Kournikova, who reached eighth in the world in singles but never won a WTA singles tournament. "I miss (tennis) a lot. It's been 90 percent of my life. … But at the same time, it's a great time for me to experience and try new things and discover new passions."

Among her off-court activities, she works with the Boys and Girls Clubs, writes a column for Elle magazine and shoots episodes of a health and fitness television show for high school students.

She still dabbles in tennis, competing in charity and exhibition matches and practicing every other day for about an hour. She played four WTT road matches this summer and concluded her shortened season Wednesday.

Kournikova was scheduled to play in a four-game prematch exhibition against the "Rise Guys" from KHTK (1140 AM) -- F.P. Santangelo, Whitey Gleason and The Phantom. But Kournikova arrived late, so Likhovtseva replaced her for the first two games.

Capitals coach Wayne Bryan then asked Kournikova to play the third game, but she said she wasn't ready. So, Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova took her place before Kournikova subbed in for the final game.

Kournikova was a good sport, allowing "The Phantom" to take five serves on one point and hitting her return left-handed. At the end, she hugged her partner, 14-year-old Sammy Lee of El Dorado Hills.

"It was a lot of fun," Lee said. "She was really nice."

When the real match began, Kournikova took it seriously, even swearing during mixed doubles.

"She said 'fudge,' " an official cracked.

All in all, the night had a lighthearted feel. Kournikova played. She mingled. And she likely won even more admirers with her glowing review of Sacramento.
About the writer:

Anna Kournikova split her sets Wednesday night in her only appearance in Sacramento this season. She won in mixed doubles and lost in women's doubles. Sacramento Bee/Florence Low

Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 02:43 PM   #679
country flag goldenlox

Here's an Anna areticle from Sacramento.
It says Anna is learning to cook.
Cooking is fun. Start simple. Eggs, then try spaghetti.
You'll enjoy it

Anna Kournikova article from SI
i don't know if this was posted before, if it was sorry lol. I think this is a very well written article, in wchich Anna comes across very well.

By Michael Silver, SI.com

Meticulously slicing a juicy red apple while gripping a knife with her long, slender fingers, Anna Kournikova smiles as she prepares to reveal her latest indulgence. The sexiest athlete in the history of women's sports is discussing what it's like, at 25, to be retired -- well, that's not what she calls it, because she hasn't ruled out a comeback -- and now she's flashing those perfect white teeth and preparing to devour the fruit of her labor.

"I read like crazy," she says, becoming visibly excited. "Magazines, short stories, books -- especially when I'm on an airplane or the treadmill or the exercise bike. Lately I've been into summer chick-lit, lighthearted stuff. And I'm into all kinds of magazines, from Vogue to O to Good Housekeeping. Yesterday on the plane I was reading [a Good Housekeeping cover story] about Rachael Ray and her recipes. Hey, I'm home a lot now, and I want to start learning how to cook."

Good Housekeeping? Good Lord. This is ANNA KOURNIKOVA, she of the haute couture and the nude stalkers and the sassy bravado, the fall of Russian Communism brought to its conspicuous extreme. Now here she is, sitting in a hotel suite in suburban Sacramento, where in a few hours she'll play a World Team Tennis match, telling me about her woeful inability to co-mingle with celebrities ("I've been to like three Hollywood parties, and the last one was after the Teen Choice Awards last year, and everybody was under the age of 21") and her forays into a life of domesticity.

What happened to the impetuous girl whose "Anna-tude" inspired one of the Sports Illustrated stories I've most enjoyed writing? In 1998 I profiled Kournikova, and the interview ended with the young beauty throwing her head back while sitting in the passenger seat of a Mustang convertible, the California desert wind whipping her long, blonde hair across her tanned face as she commanded: "I have a lot of boyfriends -- I want you to write that. Every country I visit, I have a different boyfriend. And I kiss them all."

The answer, as I would come to learn during our hour-long conversation on Wednesday, is that she grew up. The Kournikova I met in the spring of 1998 was 16 and very much aware of her bursting-at-the-seams potential, both on and off the tennis court. She would ultimately deliver more as a celebrity than as a champion -- how many of you have already fired off e-mails reminding me that Kournikova never won a tournament on the WTA Tour (which is like noting that Mike Shanahan has never won a Super Bowl without John Elway)? -- but I am not hearing any of this garbage that she wasn't a legitimate player.

As I recalled during our conversation on Wednesday, the week after my Kournikova story ran, at what was then called the Lipton Tournament in Key Biscayne, Fla. (unofficially dubbed the "fifth major" at the time), Anna became the first player in history to defeat three top 10 players in a single event ...

"Four," Kournikova corrected.

Right, four top 10 players, before letting a fellow teenager looking for her first title named Venus Williams off the hook and losing a three-set final. A few months later, at a pre-Wimbledon tournament, Kournikova defeated Steffi Graf ...

"On grass, with three torn ligaments in my right hand," Kournikova interjected. "I fell at three-all in the third set and ripped up my hand and finished the match. I was only the second player to beat her on grass in the '90s."

The injury forced Kournikova, who had been a Wimbledon semifinalist at the age of 15, to withdraw from that tournament, and a series of other injuries (foot, back, thumb) kept her from possibly approaching the heights reached by contemporaries Martina Hingis and Venus and Serena Williams. By 2003 Kournikova had been diagnosed with chronic spinal lumbar dysfunction, "where your S1 joints always move and one hip is higher than the other," she says.

Severely limited in her practice sessions and wearing leg lifts in her shoes during matches, Kournikova stopped playing tournaments in May 2003. She hasn't officially retired, a sign that she has not given up on a possible return. "To do it, I'd have to be able to give 100 percent effort," she says, meaning she'd need to undergo some form of corrective surgery, a possibility she has discussed with various doctors.

She admits that her interest has been stimulated as of late, especially with the recent return of Hingis, with whom she won the 2002 Australian Open doubles title. After two years of basically ignoring the tour, Kournikova says, she has started watching the occasional match on television, checking up on results via the Internet and discussing tennis with her friends.

"No, I haven't [ruled out a return]," she says. "I really don't know whether I will or won't. That's why I don't want to make an announcement that I'm retired; I don't want to be one of those people who says they're quitting and then goes back on it. It's definitely interesting, though."

What's more interesting is the way Kournikova has stepped back from her once-hectic world and come to appreciate just how bizarre and intense her personal journey has been. A Moscow tennis prodigy who relocated to America at the age of 10, she was an internationally-known sex symbol before legally becoming an adult, complete with a much-older boyfriend (Russian hockey star Sergei Fedorov) and millions in sponsorship and prize money. Her mother, Alla, only 18 years Anna's senior, traveled with her most of the time, but Alla's English was poor and the spoils of Western culture and celebrity were a shock to both Kournikovas' systems.

"Going through puberty in front of the public, it's kind of weird and strange and fun and exciting," Anna says now. "And scary, especially me coming from Russia, back then, in the '90s, when it was still so new -- everything, for me, was like a candy store. My mom was young, and we were like the test cases going through all these experiences; there was no rule book for us to follow. A lot of people took advantage of us, and we had to be guarded at times, and there were people pulling us in different directions constantly. My mom did the best she could, but it was tough.

"It's not like I'm complaining, though. I'm very blessed. I'm financially independent, and I like to think I grew up into a strong-minded woman who is open to trying new things."

I asked how her love life is, and she looked taken aback, as if her relationship with singer Enrique Iglesias hasn't spawned a thousand gossip items. They've been together for more than four years, and though Kournikova says they have no imminent plans to marry -- "I don't think we're gonna go there," she says -- she seems thrilled with the current state of affairs.

"I like to keep my personal life private," she says. "Relationships are hard enough; imagine putting the pressure of the press on it. I'm personally not one of those people who wants to scream, 'I'm in love! I'm in love!' But things are great."

Kournikova says she lives a mellow existence in Miami, "where everyone is relaxed, like they're on vacation." She still has obligations for sponsors such as Adidas, along with charity matches and exhibitions, that take her to New York, L.A. and various European cities. And she tries to make three or four trips annually to Moscow, where she visits the woman who coached her as a young child, Larisa Preobrajenskaya, and spends most of her time "hanging out with my grandmother and doing nothing."

She's writing a bimonthly column for Elle on sports and fitness -- in the June issue she details a three-month mission, Project Hourglass, designed to give her a more curvaceous figure and create "a bum you could use as a drink holder." And, of course, she's been reading voraciously, explaining, "I like to be up-to-date. I'm trying to read and get educated about all sorts of subjects -- health, disease, life. In general, I like to get informed.

"Being an athlete, it's pretty narrowed down. You live a bit of an isolated life. You've got your routine -- practice, eat, sleep, massage, therapy, press conference, and then do the same thing all over again. You don't get much time to expand your horizons or broaden your views. I was always one of those people who, if I was tired physically, my mind was kind of blank. I'm having fun kind of stimulating my brain and being a grown-up."

"Wow," I told her, "you're killing your image."

She laughed: "That's all right," she said. "I'm not worried about my image anymore. I don't even know what my image is."

As a player, Kournikova's image was that of someone who cared more about celebrity than winning, a notion she quickly discards. She says that the bulk of her outside activities were undertaken during her long periods of injury-related absence and that "even back then, the amount of offers I was getting was exaggerated."

She says she remains "picky" when it comes to choosing outside projects -- and remember, this is someone who five years ago was rumored to be slotted as the next Bond girl. She could be probably be a bigger star than she is right now, but instead she seems content to lie low, strive to become a better person ("I'm trying not to judge people," she says. "I catch myself and then I stop...") and appreciate the spoils of her earlier success.

Despite her physical limitations, tennis remains near and dear to her heart. When she's home in Miami, she tries to get on the court for an hour every other day, "just hitting with guys at the club" -- or, as the rest of us call them, muscular lottery winners -- "maybe playing a little doubles."

Talking tennis
Team Tennis, the Billie Jean King brainchild now in its 31st season, allows Kournikova to spend a few weeks each summer shaking off the rust and playing to appreciative crowds in smaller markets. On Wednesday 4,123 fans showed up at Allstate Stadium in Sunrise Mall to see Kournikova's Sacramento Capitals defeat the Springfield Lasers 19-17. The crowd gave Kournikova a standing ovation during introductions -- four girls held up the letters "A-N-N-A" in appreciation -- and cheered when her winner on match point gave her and partner Mark Knowles a mixed-doubles victory.

"It's a great way for fans to experience tennis in a shorter format -- it's like a crash course on our sport," she says. "And it's great that it brings you into the markets where there normally isn't tennis, to attract fans who otherwise don't get to see us. For me personally, it's a way to be back on the court, in front of fans, and experience the rush again."

When discussing the current state of the WTA, the sharp-edged, opinionated side of Kournikova momentarily resurfaces. "From the outside, I just feel like five or seven years ago there was just such a crop of personalities," she says. "You had players from the earlier era -- Graf, Seles, Sanchez Vicario -- and then so many interesting newcomers. I feel so lucky to have played in such a time. It was such an amazing time for women's tennis, and I wish the tour had taken better advantage of it. It's not that I think they didn't appreciate it; it's just that, maybe publicity-wise and marketing-wise, they didn't know how to handle it. Tennis is the only women's sport that's worldwide, and they could have thought even bigger."

Of Hingis' return, Kournikova says, "I think tennis is very lucky to have her back. She's a real talent, a real player -- visually, mentally, a great sense of the game. And she also has the 'it' factor."

Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 07:11 PM   #680
country flag Harju.
Ferosh Warrior ♥

Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for all the articles, GL

I'm glad that she's enjoying her life. The cooking part cracks me a little. Hot housewife in the making

Harju. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #681
country flag goldenlox

New journal entry from the chef -

World Team Tennis 2006 Wrapup

Hey Everyone!

Well I just returned from St. Louis and Sacramento where I played my last two matches for World Team Tennis. I am so sad it is over. I had a so much fun both on the court and with all of my team mates… Mark Knowles, Elena Likhovtseva, Sam Warburg and Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova.

In St. Louis we played the St. Louis Aces. I played mixed doubles with Mark against Brian Wilson/Maria Emilia Salerni and doubles with Elena against Aleke Tsoubanos/Maria Emilia Salerni. Caps 18/Aces 20

From St. Louis it was on to Sacramento for a home match against the Springfield Lasers. I again played doubles with Elena and mixed doubles with Mark. I had a great time in Sacramento. It is always nice to play a home match with everyone cheering for the home team! Sacramento has a wonder tennis community and such wonderful fans! The energy there was electric! Stay tuned to the Tennis Chanel on July 25th at 8:00pm EST for this match. Caps 19/Laser 17

The Caps lead the Western Conference with 9 wins and only 3 losses! I will be with my team in spirit and cheering them on as they play their last two matches against the New York Sportimes and the Delaware Smash.

GO CAPS!

www.worldteamtennis.com
www.gocaps.net

Old Aug 6th, 2006, 11:38 AM   #682
country flag Dinkie

Dinkie has much to be proud of Dinkie has much to be proud of Dinkie has much to be proud of Dinkie has much to be proud of Dinkie has much to be proud of Dinkie has much to be proud of Dinkie has much to be proud of Dinkie has much to be proud of Dinkie has much to be proud of Dinkie has much to be proud of Dinkie has much to be proud of
Thanks Goldie!! Lovely articles.

quote: '" Capitals coach Wayne Bryan said. "She's probably the most recognizable woman athlete in the world."

Haha you should post this in GM as a headline to bug all the Serena and Maria fans.
Dinkie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 02:22 AM   #683
country flag slk45

slk45 has a reputation beyond repute slk45 has a reputation beyond repute slk45 has a reputation beyond repute slk45 has a reputation beyond repute slk45 has a reputation beyond repute slk45 has a reputation beyond repute slk45 has a reputation beyond repute slk45 has a reputation beyond repute slk45 has a reputation beyond repute slk45 has a reputation beyond repute slk45 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox
Anna Kournikova article from SI
When discussing the current state of the WTA, the sharp-edged, opinionated side of Kournikova momentarily resurfaces. "From the outside, I just feel like five or seven years ago there was just such a crop of personalities," she says. "You had players from the earlier era -- Graf, Seles, Sanchez Vicario -- and then so many interesting newcomers. I feel so lucky to have played in such a time. It was such an amazing time for women's tennis, and I wish the tour had taken better advantage of it. It's not that I think they didn't appreciate it; it's just that, maybe publicity-wise and marketing-wise, they didn't know how to handle it. Tennis is the only women's sport that's worldwide, and they could have thought even bigger."
Excellent article, and Anna's insight is right on the mark. The result of the WTA's failure to take advantage of the women's popularity in Anna's time is now seen in stark relief as the tour begins shadowing the ATP, and dallying with novelties such as on-court coaching (not to mention the lost opportunity to negotiate more prize money for the women, at a time when the public focus was clearly on the women).

Which issue of SI was this in?

Now obvious to all: wherever he goes, Obama is the least competent man in the room.

Lena's Official Exclusive Personal Masseur onboard the S.S. Dementieva

LENA - OLYMPIC GOLD BEPA - OLYMPIC BRONZE

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ya-Lena3-2.jpg
slk45 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 03:26 PM   #684
country flag goldenlox

ENRIQUE IGLESIAS needs to make sure he doesn't break girlfriend ANNA KOURNIKOVA's heart - she's taking fencing lessons. The stunning Russian tennis ace signed up to thrust and parry for her monthly column in US style magazine Elle, and admits she's now keen to learn more after finding out she's a natural with the sword. Kournikova says, "There's something sexy about a woman who knows her way around a stiletto sword... Fencing is one of the sexiest sports around."

Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 02:41 PM   #685
country flag goldenlox

Anna Kournikova on the cover of ELLE(Russia) september 2006

Old Aug 25th, 2006, 02:37 PM   #686
country flag goldenlox

This year, Kids' Day is expected to lure outgoing Grand Slam swami Andre Agassi, as well as Roddick, Anna Kournikova, Serena Williams and James Blake.

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 02:20 PM   #687
country flag goldenlox

Anna is playing a charity exhibition in LA Thursday with Elton John Sampras and others

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 09:46 AM   #688
country flag cindy

cindy has a reputation beyond repute cindy has a reputation beyond repute cindy has a reputation beyond repute cindy has a reputation beyond repute cindy has a reputation beyond repute cindy has a reputation beyond repute cindy has a reputation beyond repute cindy has a reputation beyond repute cindy has a reputation beyond repute cindy has a reputation beyond repute cindy has a reputation beyond repute
intersting team!!!! thx

sasha cohen sheva sergei fedorov andrei pavel

kimi raikkonen F1 world champion 2007

“Do not pray for an easy life, pray to be a strong person.” Nadia Comaneci
cindy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 03:01 PM   #689
country flag goldenlox

Andy Roddick, Pete Sampras and Anna Kournikova will join Elton John and Billie Jean King in a benefit tennis exhibition to raise money in the fight against AIDS.

Five sets of tennis, using the World TeamTennis format, will be played in the 14th Smash Hits charity benefit Sept. 14 at UC Irvine in California.

Roddick and Sampras, who retired in 2002, will play the featured men's singles match.

Kournikova, no longer a regular on the women's tour, is set to play doubles and mixed doubles.

''Pete was a big part of Smash Hits in the early years, and to have him back again along with Andy and Anna gives us the makings of a very entertaining and thrilling night of tennis,'' said Ilana Kloss, CEO and commissioner of World TeamTennis.

Old Sep 13th, 2006, 03:13 PM   #690
country flag goldenlox

Anna's new journal entry-

Hi Everyone!

Sorry it has been so long since I have posted anything. I took some time off from traveling after World Team Tennis to relax and gear up for the next couple of months which are going to be pretty busy.

This week I am off to New York. I will be on The Big Idea with Donny Deutsch. I am so excited to be a guest and meet Donny as I am a big fan of the show. The show airs on CNBC so check your local listings for date and times.

I will also be doing a segment on the upcoming UK series ‘Slave to Fashion’. I just love the idea of this show! It is all about the inside world of fashion. It is going to be broadcast in the UK on T4 in October so for those of you who live in the UK keep a look out for it.

My last stop while in New York will be for Adidas at the Y-3 show during Fashion Week. I am looking forward to seeing Yohji’s ideas come to life. It is always so much fun to see what he comes up with!

After New York it is off to Los Angeles for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital and World Team Tennis. On Thursday, September 14th I will be participating in the 14th Annual WTT All-Star Smash Hits at the Bren Events Center in Irvine. Co-hosted by Billie Jean King and Elton John this event is always one of my favorites as I just love being on the court with Elton and Billie. They are so much fun and have such a passion for the sport. The festivities begin at 7:00pm so if you are in the area please come and show us some support as all of the proceeds will benefit the Elton John AIDS Foundation and the AIDS Services Foundation Orange County Chapter. Tickets can be purchased through Ticketmaster or at the Bren Events Center box office.

While in Los Angeles I will be participating the 4th Annual Runway for Life benefiting the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital on Friday, September 15th. I will be taking a walk down the runway for this amazing charity that is internationally recognized for their pediatric research and treatment facility that treats children regardless of their family’s ability to pay.