Görges' Fans Chat Thread: Volume 1 - Page 65 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 1st, 2013, 11:30 AM   #961
country flag Ziva

Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future
Re: Görges' Fans Chat Thread: Volume 1

As expected a typical boring Fila dress.

They have to wear the WTA sticker at every match, it just looks different now, because SE isn't sponsoring the WTA anymore.

2013 Good Girl: Petra Kvitova
GG Race: Jankovic(+), Pironkova(F), Pennetta, Pavlyuchenkova(+), Halep(F), Ivanovic(MPbonus),Torro-Flor, Serena, CSN, Garcia, Cetkovska, Pliskova, Discount Sharapova(OD), Keys(F),Discount Sharapova, Serena, Venus, Wozniacki, Bencic(3ROD), Ivanovic, Svitolina, Kuznetsova
Ziva is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 1st, 2013, 11:50 AM   #962
country flag KatjaS

KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute

I don't remember her wearing one when she was with Nike.
KatjaS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 12:04 PM   #963
country flag Ziva

Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future Ziva has a brilliant future

You are right, it seems she didn't wear one the whole last season, strange.

GG Race: Jankovic(+), Pironkova(F), Pennetta, Pavlyuchenkova(+), Halep(F), Ivanovic(MPbonus),Torro-Flor, Serena, CSN, Garcia, Cetkovska, Pliskova, Discount Sharapova(OD), Keys(F),Discount Sharapova, Serena, Venus, Wozniacki, Bencic(3ROD), Ivanovic, Svitolina, Kuznetsova
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 12:18 PM   #964
country flag HowardH

HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute

You'll notice that Sharapova also never wears the wta logo. If we do a bit of digging we can see that Nike athletes are exempt from wearing the wta patch, as this 1998 article explains:

"WTA rules require players to wear the logo as part of its sponsorship contract. Only Nike athletes are exempted from the patch requirement because of a company policy that predates the WTA deal."

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1998/Ve...7f1056190b4d39
HowardH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 12:25 PM   #965
country flag Ziva

Ah very interesting, thanks

Old Jan 1st, 2013, 01:07 PM   #966
country flag KatjaS

KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute

What a ridiculous policy, either all brands should have to do it or none. The WTA really is run by IMG.
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 02:51 PM   #967
country flag Raiden

Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardH View Post
You'll notice that Sharapova also never wears the wta logo. If we do a bit of digging we can see that Nike athletes are exempt from wearing the wta patch, as this 1998 article explains:

"WTA rules require players to wear the logo as part of its sponsorship contract. Only Nike athletes are exempted from the patch requirement because of a company policy that predates the WTA deal."

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1998/Ve...7f1056190b4d39
Nike only exempt? I don't think so. I think it's a matter of having a so called "clean contract" (sponsor forbidding player not to display other brand logos on their outfit). Nike does have a tradition of forbidding all players including scrubs, from making extra money that way.. Other sponsors are more flexible (they do that only with some of their players.
Raiden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 03:22 PM   #968
country flag HowardH

HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Nike only exempt? I don't think so. I think it's a matter of having a so called "clean contract" (sponsor forbidding player not to display other brand logos on their outfit). Nike does have a tradition of forbidding all players including scrubs, from making extra money that way.. Other sponsors are more flexible (they do that only with some of their players.
What you say would make sense except that it really is about avoiding fines. In the case of a lot of other things to do with clothing sponsorship what you are saying is absolutely true but this aspect is a little different.

If you read the article above about Venus, you'll notice that Reebok, her sponsor, did argue that the WTA logo would violate their contract, but the wta still fined Venus and threatened exponentially growing fines if she continued to not wear the patch, and the only way to avoid increasingly larger fines was to wear the patch.

"WTA rules require players to wear the logo as part of its sponsorship contract. Only Nike athletes are exempted from the patch requirement because of a company policy that predates the WTA deal.

Reebok, which has a multimillion dollar sneaker and clothing contract with Williams, designed a seven outfit wardrobe for her at the Open and defended the logo-less look, arguing that wearing one would violate the company's agreement with her."

"Williams faced a $500 fine if she did not display the patch Thursday. The fines would have escalated to $25,000 had she continued to pass on the patch."

Therefore Venus was forced to wear the patch. Sharapova, on the other hand, was never fined.

So the point is that the wta is willing not to fine Nike players. Of course the wta logo is actually against the clean contract agreements of many players, but they have to do it to avoid the wta fines.

That was over ten years ago so some renegotiations may have happened with other companies since then, but this seems to be the historical basis of the Nike players not needing to wear the patch.

Last edited by HowardH : Jan 1st, 2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 10:33 PM   #969
country flag Raiden

Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't get that article you quoted.

On what legal basis is Nike enjoying the exception (if there is such a thing)?
Raiden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 08:17 AM   #970
country flag HowardH

I have no idea of the details, except that the article says "Only Nike athletes are exempted from the patch requirement because of a company policy that predates the WTA deal." I can't quite visualize what policy would give them this exceptional ability but it seems that Nike currently enjoys some kind of privileged status on the tour for some historical reason. Maybe they made a binding deal with the wta many years ago which is still in place.
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 09:04 PM   #971
country flag KatjaS

Julia's not on the entry list for Doha.
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 09:18 AM   #972
country flag KatjaS

Her dress she wore in the doubles QF (video thread) actually looks a bit better than the regular Fila outfit with the XXL skirt.
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 09:48 AM   #973
country flag Skoo

Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy division View Post
Thanks for the flowers, you hypocrite.
I'm afraid you have to explain me that, too. Or was it for me?
Skoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 01:16 PM   #974
country flag Skoo

Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future

Not much, but that's all I've got after many sleepless nights

Skoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #975
country flag KatjaS

...hasn't beaten Kuz yet.