Julia Görges Interviews and Twitter thread - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 21st, 2011, 01:18 AM   #1
country flag Vikapower

Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute
Julia Görges Interviews and Twitter thread

This is Julia's Interviews and Twitter thread where you can put anything related to her issued from media sources.

And why not anything better than relaxing with a cup of english tea and "Getting to know Julia" or re-discovering her through her first ITW perhaps not her first ever but the first when she got spotted for the first time by the medias. This is the first of many to come hopefully.

-----

Getting To Know... Julia Goerges

LUXEMBOURG, Luxembourg - Julia Goerges hasn't had the best of luck at Grand Slams - her main draw debut was against Justine Henin in the first round of the 2007 US Open, and this year it was a similar story at the Australian Open (Ana Ivanovic), Wimbledon (Jelena Jankovic) and US Open (Svetlana Kuznetsova). But with three semifinal finishes at Tour level and wins over the likes of Aleksandra Wozniak, Virginie Razzano and Sorana Cirstea under her belt, it can only be a matter of time before the almost-21-year-old joins other young Germans like Sabine Lisicki and Andrea Petkovic in the winner's circle.

Sonyericssonwtatour.com caught up with Julia during the BGL Luxembourg Open, where she competed on a new career-high ranking of No.76 - which means she'll finish the season in the Top 100 for the first time.

-----

Tell us about your family.
JG: My father works in insurance and my mom helps him with that - the office is at our house. I also have a sister, Maike, who is 32. Actually she's my half-sister, which you might guess if you saw us together… I am 5'11 and dark-haired and she is short and blonde! We share the same father. She also works in insurance, but not in the same office as our dad.

How did you get into tennis ?
JG: I started to play when I was five-and-a-half, when my parents took me to a local club where they played. As I grew older I always looked to watch tennis on TV, I was a real fan, and it came to a point where I asked my parents how we could do it. They wanted me to finish school first, but of course I played junior tournaments as well.

As a youngster, did you have a tennis idol ?
JG: Martina Hingis. She didn't play like everyone else, she was always changing the rhythm, playing drop shots and so on. She didn't hit the ball the hardest but she was clever and thought about where she was putting the ball. When she retired and then came back to the Top 10, I thought it was really something special.

And, of course, Roger Federer plays tennis as if from another world.

What do you consider your strengths as a player ?
JG: My serve and my forehand help me a lot.

And what do you need to improve to go to the next level ?
JG: I need to play more consistently. I can have good wins, but I need to keep it going for weeks and months at a time. It's partly a matter of belief.

What's your tennis memory to date ?
JG: In terms of the occasion and emotions it has to be my first round match at Wimbledon in 2008. I beat (No.22 seed) Katarina Srebotnik 16-14 in the third set... the match lasted 3 hours 41 minutes! It was also a good feeling to win the doubles with Vladimira Uhlirova at Portoroz this year - it was my first Tour title.

If you could steal a shot from another player, what would it be ?
JG: The backhand of Jelena Jankovic.

Do you have a favorite surface ?
JG: Grass.

Favorite tournament or city ?
JG: The Australian Open. I'd love to have a few weeks to travel around the country properly.

What do you like most about life on the Tour? Dislike ?
JG: I like being able to experience other countries and cultures, to see how people live and work. I'm mostly on the road with my coach, Sascha Nensel, but if my mom is with me we'll try and do some sightseeing. Spain and Mexico are top of my list. But I'm the sort of girl who likes to be at home, to see all the familiar places where I grew up. So sometimes the travel is too much.

If not tennis…
JG: I really think I'd have been a receptionist in a hotel! Growing up, I was always fascinated by computers and things like cash registers in supermarkets.

What do you like to do outside tennis ?
JG: I'm a biathlon freak. If I can help it I don't miss a minute of it when it's on television and would love to try it myself. In fact, last year for my birthday my coaches gave me a voucher for a three hour training camp, where you ski and professionals show you how to shoot. Unfortunately I had to leave for Australia soon after, so I haven't done it yet, but hope to soon.

I also like the usual things: going out with friends, seeing movies, listening to music - I like Blue and Rihanna - and shopping.

Speaking of birthdays, you turn 21 in November… any plans to celebrate ?
JG: I'll be playing an ITF event in Ortisei, Italy, so it depends how that's going. But afterwards I plan to spend some time in Nürnberg with my aunt and uncle and go to Berlin with friends.

Who are your best friends on Tour ?
JG: That's tough, but I can say mostly the German players. I also have a lot to do with Patty Schnyder, who has a home in the same town as me in Germany. She's really nice and we've played doubles together.

What are your tennis goals for 2010 ?
JG: I'd like to be Top 50, but I don't focus so much on the number. I think you can go too far too fast; as long as I'm becoming a better player I'd rather make a gradual improvement rather than be bouncing up and down the rankings.

Link : Getting to know... Julia Görges - October, 21 2009.

Last edited by Vikapower : Jul 22nd, 2011 at 01:43 AM.
Vikapower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 21st, 2011, 05:27 AM   #2
country flag Vikapower

Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Julia Görges Interviews and Twitter thread

Julia's 1st. Premier event title in Stuttgart, a great moment.

Unstoppable Goerges Stuns No.1 In Stuttgart

STUTTGART, Germany - With the No.1 ranking firmly in her grasp and three WTA titles already this season, Caroline Wozniacki was a heavy favorite as she took the court against Julia Goerges in the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix final on Sunday. But with a barrage of big serves and massive groundstrokes, the No.32-ranked German beat all the odds, outdoing the Dane in straight sets for her second and biggest career title by a 76(3) 63 scoreline.

The two players put on a strong serving display in the first set, neither one letting a break slip through - in fact, there was only one break point the entire set (saved by Wozniacki). After Goerges came through in the breaker she also grabbed the first and only break of the match in the second game of the second set and hung onto it, dropping face-first to the red clay of the Porsche Area after converting on her second match point off a Wozniacki forehand mis-hit.

The final was a classic match-up of different styles, Goerges compiling by far the bigger numbers (38 winners to 29 errors) and Wozniacki with the more conservative stats (9 winners to 10 errors). But Goerges also showed some impressive net play (she was 15/22 up there - Wozniacki was 7/8, solid too).

When all was said and done, Goerges became the second German ever to win the oldest European indoor tournament (Anke Huber won in 1991 and 1994). It was the 22-year-old's second WTA title, following another clay court triumph in Bad Gastein last summer. She is now 2-1 in her career in WTA finals.

"I had goosebumps at match point. It was an unbelievable feeling playing the final with so many people watching," Goerges said. "Everything was going so well but you can never be sure against Caroline. She has turned lots of matches around when nobody expected her to. She is only beaten when the last point is over. Now I'm looking forward to my niece's baptism on Monday and being able to sleep in my own bed again after three months travelling the tour!"

Goerges also received a brand new Porsche 911 Carrera GTS Cabriolet.

Wozniacki fell to 15-10 in WTA finals. She was seeking her first career title on red clay. "Julia played really well," the 20-year-old commented. "She was very aggressive and everything was going in. I tried everything but it wasn't enough. I'll go back to the practice court and try to be better next time. I also want to thank everyone for coming out and supporting me, even though I was playing against Julia! Hopefully next year I'll come away with this Porsche."

Link : Unstoppable Goerges Stuns No.1 In Stuttgart - April 24 2011

Last edited by Vikapower : Jul 21st, 2011 at 06:00 AM.
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 05:38 AM   #3
country flag Vikapower

Goerges Ends Strong, Beats World No.1 Again

MADRID, Spain - A blockbuster quarterfinal match-up between the No.1 player in the world and one of the world's best clay courters was blocked Thursday, as Julia Goerges and Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova pulled off surprises in Madrid.

A few weeks ago in Stuttgart, Goerges emerged in a field that had seven of the Top 10 and won her first Premier-level title, stunning Wozniacki in straight sets in the final. It wasn't straight sets this time but the end result was the same, as the German broke away from 3-all in the third - winning 12 of the last 14 points of the match - to beat the No.1 seed on Manolo Santana court, 64 16 63.

"I was just focused on playing my game," Goerges said. "I hit some high balls to her backhand to get her out of her rhythm on that side, then I went for my shots. I waited for my chances and played my game really well. And when I was down 4-0 in the second set I told myself to keep it together for the third set and give everything. I did that pretty well at the end and served it out well."

A year ago, Goerges was ranked No.81 in the world and 0-6 against Top 10 players; now she is No.27 (and projected to crack the Top 25 after this tournament) and has gone 5-3 against Top 10 players since then. Those five wins include the two aforementioned wins over the No.1, Wozniacki.

[...]

Goerges and Pavlyuchenkova will be playing each other for the first time.

"It's my first time here and I'm in the quarterfinals. It's very nice and I hope to keep going," Goerges said. "The next match is going to be the same as today, very tough. You only have the best players here. I'm really looking forward to it."

Link : Goerges Ends Strong, Beats World No.1 Again

---

Caroline Wozniacki loses to Julia Goerges in Madrid

Germany's Julia Goerges beat world number one Caroline Wozniacki for the second time in 11 days to reach the Madrid Open quarter-finals.

World number 27 Goerges followed up her victory over Wozniacki in April's Stuttgart Grand Prix final with a 6-4 1-6 6-3 win over her Danish opponent.

World number 41 Bethanie Mattek-Sands stunned French Open champion and third seed Francesca Schiavone 7-6 (7-5) 6-3.

Fourth seed Victoria Azarenka beat Spain's Arantxa Parra Santonja 6-0 6-3.

But the result of the day in the women's event came in the opening match as 22-year-old Goerges, despite being hampered by a blister, again saw off Wozniacki on clay, leaving the Dane with only next week's Italian Open to prepare for the French Open at the end of the month.

Continue reading the main story
I beat her twice - and twice in two weeks - so I'm pretty proud of myself
Julia Goerges
Goerges made a huge leap in class as she beat Wozniacki to win in Stuttgart, only the second WTA title of her career, and back-to-back victories over the world number one will mark the German out as a dangerous opponent for anyone at Roland Garros.

She rallied from 3-0 down to take the first set and, after losing her way in the second, got the decisive break for 5-3 in the third before serving out the match.

"I did a pretty good match again and I'm proud of what I have achieved the last few weeks," reflected Goerges, who made 38 unforced errors compared to Wozniacki's 21 but also 36 winners to her opponent's 11.

"I beat her twice - and twice in two weeks - so I'm pretty proud of myself.

"I tried to get her out of her rhythm and not let her push me and be the first to push her. I like to play higher balls to her backhand especially and if she goes short I have a chance to go for the shots."

"The second set she started to be more aggressive and I started to get tired, so I said to myself keep yourself together for the third set and try to fight for every point."

Goerges will now meet Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, who defeated fifth seed Sam Stosur 7-6 (7-4) 6-3.

American Mattek-Sands - sporting knee-high black socks to match the thick black eyeliner under her eyes - celebrated the biggest win of her career.

Her next opponent will be sixth seed and Australian Open runner-up Li Na of China, who beat Italy's Roberta Vinci 2-6 6-2 6-1.

Link : Caroline Wozniacki loses to Julia Goerges in Madrid

Last edited by Vikapower : Aug 11th, 2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 05:59 AM   #4
country flag Vikapower

This is an ITW she gave on the website of RG unfortunately it's only in french... it's almost the same like the first ITW.

Link : A la découverte de... Julia Goerges - Wed. May 25 2011

A la découverte de... Julia Goerges

Goethe juge avisé l'homme qui sait profiter du moment. Julia Goerges (prononcer "gueurgueusse") conjugue l'épithète au féminin. Son hymne à la patience, elle le fredonne depuis ses 16 ans. Tout juste diplômée du lycée, cette jeune fille de deux agents d'assurance décide alors de mettre en pratique le désir nourri deux ans plus tôt : devenir joueuse professionnelle de tennis. En 2011, six ans plus tard, elle atteint son premier Graal, remporter le tournoi qu'elle regardait enfant, celui de Stuttgart. La suite s'annonce prometteuse mais la séduisante brune garde la tête sur les épaules.

"J'ai été éduquée comme ça, à faire les choses étape par étape. Je préfère progresser pas à pas, l'important c'est que mon jeu soit en place et s'améliore. J'ai besoin de maturité pour mieux jouer, et puis être au top trop tôt est pernicieux, tu te retrouves à devoir répondre à des sollicitations et des attentes difficiles à assumer", nous explique la 18e joueuse mondiale.

Le révélateur Sharapova

Depuis son entrée sur le circuit WTA en juillet 2005, la calme et discrète Julia opte pour le rythme progressif : 425e en 2006, 131e en 2007, 102e un an plus tard puis 78e et enfin 40e à l'orée d'une année 2011 pour l'instant estampillé grand cru.

Demi-finaliste à Auckland, elle confirme à l'Open d'Australie, "mon tournoi préféré". Elle y rend les armes au 3e tour contre Maria Sharapova au terme d'un combat épique. Et également révélateur: "Il y avait 10 000 spectateurs et le public était avec moi. C'était assez magique et là pour la première fois je me suis dit que tous les sacrifices valaient vraiment la peine."

Entrée dans le top 20, la demi-finaliste de Madrid savoure l'usufruit de l'investissement. "C'est un métier difficile car tu voyages beaucoup, tu n'es jamais chez toi, tu t'entraînes tous les jours. Mais quand je me retrouve sur le court Central ici au premier tour, j'en profite car je joue pour ça. Surtout que là, d'un seul coup mon jeu s'est mis en place depuis quelques semaines".

Absente à Rome puis Bruxelles pour cause de douleurs au dos, Julia ne fanfaronne pas: "J'ai gagné en constance mais tout peut vite à nouveau changer". Les grandes annonces, très peu pour elle. "Je ne suis pas dans la position d'être une grande gueule et de clamer que je vais faire ci ou ça. Je ne fuis pas l'attention, mais je ne vais pas aller la provoquer non plus."

"Me stabiliser dans le top 20"

Affable, la voix douce mais le ton déterminé, le sourire authentique et la politesse chevillée à ses grandes gambettes, l'Allemande profite de la présence de ses parents pendant Roland-Garros. La famille est chez elle une valeur cardinale. Comme la patience.

"L'objectif immédiat est de rester dans le top 20. N'y être que quelques semaines n'aurait pas de sens, je dois m'y stabiliser avant de voir plus haut", nous explique-t-elle. "Les résultats arrivent souvent quand tu ne t'y attends pas. Plus tu y penses moins ça viendra", poursuit la fille prodigue de Bad-Oldesloe,"une petite ville où rien n'a changé pour mes parents malgré mon succès." Chez les Goerges, les pieds ne décollent jamais de terre. Même quand elle est battue.

Quote:
Translation

Goethe well thought umpire who knows how to take advantage of the moment. Julia Goerges (pronounced "gueurgueusse") translates the epithet in feminine. She sings her patience for 16 years. Just graduated from College, this young lady daughter of two insurance agents decided to accomplish her dream to become a professional tennis player. In 2011, 6 years later, she reaches her first state of ecstasy by winning the tournament she used to watch as a kid, Stuttgart. Things look promising but the charming brunette keeps her head on her shoulders.

"I was educated like that, to do things step by step. I prefer progress step by step; the most important is that my game is in place and ameliorates with time. To play well, I need maturity furthermore to be on the top so quick is tricky and you find yourself answering requests and hopes that are difficult to reach to", explains the 18th player in the world.

Maria Sharapova the revealer

Since she turned pro in july 2005, the calm and discreet Julia chose for a progressive rhythm : 425th in 2006, 131st in 2007, 102 one year later then 78th and at last 40th at the door this year of a season stamped to be marvelous.

Semi-finalist in Auckland, she confirms in the Australian Open, "my best tournament". She lost her battle to Maria Sharapova in an epic fight. Another revealer : "There were 10 000 spectators and the public were with me. It was magic and there I told myself that all the sacrifices I had done really worthed it."

Having entered the top 20, the semi finalist of Madrid savors the fruits of her investments. "It's a very hard work because you travel a lot, you are never at home, you practice everyday. But when I find myself on the Center Court in the first round, I profit because I play for these moments. Especially that my game has been clicking for these last few weeks".

Absent of Rome then Brussels because of back problems, Julia doesn't joke : "I won in regularity but everything can revert again". Block buster announcements that's not for her : "I am not in position to be a big mouth and to claim that I will do this or that. I don't escape the spot-light but I'm not going to provoke it either".

"Stabilize myself in the top 20"

Affable, her romantic soft voice but with a determined tone, her true smile and her politeness, the German profits of her parent's presence during Roland-Garros. The family has a great importance. Just like patience.

"The immediate objective is to stay in the top 20. To be in it just for a few weeks would have no sense, I have to stabilize myself before I can reach for higher", she explains to us. "The results come often when you do not await for them. More you think about them the less they come", pursues the prodigy from Bad-Oldesloe, "a town where nothing gas changed for my parents despite my success." In the Goerges' house, your feet never leaves the ground. Even when she's beaten.
>>> The article is such a poetic and romantic eulogy of Julia it really makes it difficult for me to translate precisely the subtleties of it... it's really a very beautiful article about Julia in it's original version and my attempted translation kinds of break that dramatically.
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 06:12 AM   #5
country flag Vikapower

WIMBLEDON - June 25, 2011

Julia Goerges

LONDON, ENGLAND

D. CIBULKOVA/J. Georges
6-4, 1-6, 6-3

Quote:
THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. What did you feel went wrong for you today? You seemed in control at a lot of points in the game.
JULIA GOERGES: Um, well, I just let it slip away in the beginning also. I was break up in the first set and I played really aggressive. It was everything the right way.
When I was up, I was always stopping my game. That's what I have to learn to get better.

Q. And in the final set?
JULIA GOERGES: Well, it was actually the same almost. I fired up in the second set, and came strong to the third with a 40-15 lead in the first game.
Yeah, gave it back to her a little bit. Well, I tried everything, but, yeah, when I was leading I just gave it away.

Q. So you need more killer instinct, is that the bottom line?
JULIA GOERGES: Well, when I'm down -- I'm always playing my game, being aggressive and to go for my shots, and yeah, when I'm down, I stop playing my game. This is what I have to learn and get better on.

Q. Calmer mentally this time, though. No arguments with umpires about anything today?
JULIA GOERGES: No. Why? I think I'm right when he should pronounce my name in the same way. I'm feeling good. I mean, you can ask me before how you should pronounce my name.

Q. And he did it well today, right?
JULIA GOERGES: He did it well, so...
Link : ASAP sports

---

Unfortunately I don't have the full presser.
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 02:27 PM   #6
country flag Banditoo

Banditoo has a reputation beyond repute Banditoo has a reputation beyond repute Banditoo has a reputation beyond repute Banditoo has a reputation beyond repute Banditoo has a reputation beyond repute Banditoo has a reputation beyond repute Banditoo has a reputation beyond repute Banditoo has a reputation beyond repute Banditoo has a reputation beyond repute Banditoo has a reputation beyond repute Banditoo has a reputation beyond repute

Julia is open for autograph

I think everyone in sport can be inspired by what Venus has done and how she's come back and winning championships and just doing so well. So I have been utterly completely inspired by that. I just have no words for it. There is no greater champion in my eyes.
Banditoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 01:03 AM   #7
country flag Vikapower

^^ Nice Banditoo and I think I will apply for that maybe one day... BTW she's paying support for Andu Shleck for Le Tour de France, that's pretty cool.
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 07:27 AM   #8
country flag Banditoo

Banditoo has a reputation beyond repute Banditoo has a reputation beyond repute Banditoo has a reputation beyond repute Banditoo has a reputation beyond repute Banditoo has a reputation beyond repute Banditoo has a reputation beyond repute Banditoo has a reputation beyond repute Banditoo has a reputation beyond repute Banditoo has a reputation beyond repute Banditoo has a reputation beyond repute Banditoo has a reputation beyond repute

Jul realy like - watching cycling and shlecks brothers

I think everyone in sport can be inspired by what Venus has done and how she's come back and winning championships and just doing so well. So I have been utterly completely inspired by that. I just have no words for it. There is no greater champion in my eyes.
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 08:43 AM   #9
country flag joy division

joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banditoo View Post
Jul realy like - watching cycling and shlecks brothers

She definitely is gunning for Andi Schleck, Frank is subsidiary
joy division is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 08:49 AM   #10
country flag Banditoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy division View Post
She definitely is gunning for Andi Schleck, Frank is subsidiary
Oooo, we can`t say to Frak a subsidiary, because he is second in general standing. He is very smart and he is more good than Andy in Individual time-trial. And he have a chance for win.
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 08:55 AM   #11

joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banditoo View Post
Oooo, we can`t say to Frak a subsidiary, because he is second in general standing. He is very smart and he is more good than Andy in Individual time-trial. And he have a chance for win.
I didn`t mean the sporty side, she` just talking of Andi in her twitter.
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 05:16 PM   #12

@juliagoerges Julia Goerges
Come on @andy_schleck...you can do it!!!i am supporting you...COME ON GO FOR IT!!!!
vor 2 Stunden via Twitter for BlackBerry®
Retweetet von misslaura59220 und 3 anderen

Her support was not enough, he lost the Tour de France today.
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 06:13 PM   #13
country flag Banditoo

Congratulations for Cadel:

Practice in Stanford:

People in Noerway:
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 07:56 PM   #14
country flag Skoo

Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future Skoo has a brilliant future

Why can't she ever say something interesting or at least funny or make a rap song or something? Well, I guess you can't have them all
Skoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 08:56 PM   #15
country flag Vikapower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoo View Post
Why can't she ever say something interesting or at least funny or make a rap song or something? Well, I guess you can't have them all
You're exaggerating quite a bit most of my faves I follow their Twitters and they don't do that anyways too. The players often use Twitter to get quick infos on certain things or players and give quick infos themselves on what they're doing on the moment.