Greatest womens tennis player of all time - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Greatest womens tennis player of all tiime

Lenglen 2 3.28%
Wills Moody 1 1.64%
Connolly 1 1.64%
Court 3 4.92%
King 0 0%
Navratilova 16 26.23%
Evert 2 3.28%
Serena 10 16.39%
Graf 21 34.43%
Seles 5 8.20%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 18th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #31
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Greatest womens tennis player of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoleb View Post
I voted for Graf just because I had to but I want to ask:

why does anyone care?

What difference would it make if people thought Graf, Navratilova, Evert or Court was the GOAT? They played across very different eras, and it's painfully clear that not one of those was so much ahead of any other in regards to both achievements and influence on the game, especially that each one had a distinctive style with its flaws and advantages. This very fact makes all comparisons very subjective and almost arbitrary cause there are far too many variable factors to account for. And even if it's remotely possible to pick one, it's entirely meaningless. Should we start worshipping at her feet when the poll closes?

These are all greats of the game, and they just deserve to be celebrated as such.
BINGO!!!
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 18th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #32
country flag calou

calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future

Quote:

why does anyone care?

What difference would it make if people thought Graf, Navratilova, Evert or Court was the GOAT? They played across very different eras, and it's painfully clear that not one of those was so much ahead of any other in regards to both achievements and influence on the game, especially that each one had a distinctive style with its flaws and advantages. This very fact makes all comparisons very subjective and almost arbitrary cause there are far too many variable factors to account for. And even if it's remotely possible to pick one, it's entirely meaningless. Should we start worshipping at her feet when the poll closes? It's taking the ideal of competition in sports a little far too much.

These are all greats of the game, and they just deserve to be celebrated as such.
Very smart post
calou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 05:00 PM   #33
country flag XSTopspin

XSTopspin is a name known to all XSTopspin is a name known to all XSTopspin is a name known to all XSTopspin is a name known to all XSTopspin is a name known to all XSTopspin is a name known to all XSTopspin is a name known to all XSTopspin is a name known to all XSTopspin is a name known to all XSTopspin is a name known to all XSTopspin is a name known to all

Quote:

why does anyone care?

What difference would it make if people thought Graf, Navratilova, Evert or Court was the GOAT? They played across very different eras, and it's painfully clear that not one of those was so much ahead of any other in regards to both achievements and influence on the game, especially that each one had a distinctive style with its flaws and advantages. This very fact makes all comparisons very subjective and almost arbitrary cause there are far too many variable factors to account for. And even if it's remotely possible to pick one, it's entirely meaningless. Should we start worshipping at her feet when the poll closes? It's taking the ideal of competition in sports a little far too much.

Kum-bah-yah....

Seriously though, we do it for the same reason we debate politics even though no politicians
ever accomplish anything...because we feel strongly about it. Certainly it's not
"entirely meaningless" -- as evidenced by the fact that you voted yourself.

As for my vote I'd say Martina = Greatest, Serena = Best. Martina knocked Chrissy off her
perch while she was still at her peak. Steffi didn't do that, and IMHO it would have happened
to her if Monica hadn't gotten hurt.

P.S. No more lurky, lurky!
XSTopspin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 05:04 PM   #34
country flag Apoleb

Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Certainly it's not
"entirely meaningless" -- as evidenced by the fact that you voted yourself.
I voted for it for fun. My vote is not evidence for anything.

But uhmm, there's obviously a troll in this thread with multiple usernames.
Apoleb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 05:06 PM   #35
country flag Gemini7

Gemini7 is just really nice Gemini7 is just really nice Gemini7 is just really nice Gemini7 is just really nice Gemini7 is just really nice Gemini7 is just really nice Gemini7 is just really nice Gemini7 is just really nice Gemini7 is just really nice Gemini7 is just really nice Gemini7 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by justineheninfan View Post
The other poll without Lenglen, Wills Moody, Seles (big TF fan favorite) didnt really make any sense. So out of the actually legitimate candidates who do you believe is the greatest female player of all time
You have done it again haven't you - you *****!!!!!!!!. Did you even bother to READ the other poll???????????? It was split into two threads with 20 nominations. Forgive me, but this person should be expelled from the site - they have just wasted everyone's time with yet another GOAT poll - this time one which could have been avoided had they bothered to READ the other one.

The two threads to other poll are at

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=440490

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=440492

And all and sundry will notice that Lenglen, Will-Moody, and Seles are all there!!!!! - the supposed justification for this pointless waste of everybodies time!!!!

Last edited by Gemini7 : Jul 18th, 2011 at 05:13 PM.
Gemini7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 05:11 PM   #36
country flag danieln1
VIP and The Cheesecake Factory

danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute

Martina

Ivanovic - Görges - Agnieszka - Li - Woz

Venus - Kvitova - Putintseva - Golden Flowers - Stosur - Stephens

that is so disrespectful.... so disrespectful!
danieln1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #37
country flag XSTopspin

XSTopspin is a name known to all XSTopspin is a name known to all XSTopspin is a name known to all XSTopspin is a name known to all XSTopspin is a name known to all XSTopspin is a name known to all XSTopspin is a name known to all XSTopspin is a name known to all XSTopspin is a name known to all XSTopspin is a name known to all XSTopspin is a name known to all

Quote:
I voted for it for fun. My vote is not evidence for anything.

But uhmm, there's obviously a troll in this thread with multiple usernames.
I would say fun serves a great purpose then.
XSTopspin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 09:14 PM   #38
country flag LDVTennis

LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini7 View Post
You have done it again haven't you - you *****!!!!!!!!.
You don't even know the half of it. But you are on the right track.

If you wish to learn more about the OP, see this link: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showp...2&postcount=78.

---
Steffi Graf was part of a youth tennis group that was studied from age 12 and then followed, and the scientists called her "the perfect talent" even then. In addition to her many tennis-specific skills, her aerobic capacity was on par with the best distance runners in Europe. --- David Epstein, The Sports Gene
LDVTennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 11:26 PM   #39
country flag MB.

MB. has a reputation beyond repute MB. has a reputation beyond repute MB. has a reputation beyond repute MB. has a reputation beyond repute MB. has a reputation beyond repute MB. has a reputation beyond repute MB. has a reputation beyond repute MB. has a reputation beyond repute MB. has a reputation beyond repute MB. has a reputation beyond repute MB. has a reputation beyond repute

This poll is Where is Caroline Wozniacki?!
MB. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote