Biggest ironies of the WTA? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 15th, 2011, 02:38 AM   #1
country flag rimon

rimon is a glorious beacon of light rimon is a glorious beacon of light rimon is a glorious beacon of light rimon is a glorious beacon of light rimon is a glorious beacon of light rimon is a glorious beacon of light rimon is a glorious beacon of light rimon is a glorious beacon of light rimon is a glorious beacon of light rimon is a glorious beacon of light rimon is a glorious beacon of light
Biggest ironies of the WTA?

What do you think are the biggest ironies? Three immediately come to my mind:

1. Conchita Martinez wins only 1 slam title in her entire career, and it comes at Wimbledon.
2. Martina Hingis wins every single slam except the one that most thought she would definitely win - Roland Garros.
3. Na Li wins only 1 slam title in her entire career, and it comes at Roland Garros.
rimon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 15th, 2011, 02:43 AM   #2
country flag Jimmie48
Don't stop me now!

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Biggest ironies of the WTA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimon View Post
3. Na Li wins only 1 slam title in her entire career, and it comes at Roland Garros.
Did I miss the news about her retirement? If not then that's probably a rather premature statement...

My Tennis Photo Database
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 02:45 AM   #3
country flag Graftard

Graftard is a splendid one to behold Graftard is a splendid one to behold Graftard is a splendid one to behold Graftard is a splendid one to behold Graftard is a splendid one to behold Graftard is a splendid one to behold Graftard is a splendid one to behold Graftard is a splendid one to behold Graftard is a splendid one to behold Graftard is a splendid one to behold Graftard is a splendid one to behold

Hingis winning Wimbledon was tremendous luck. A counterpuncher winning Wimbledon on fast grass against S&Ver
Graftard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 03:22 AM   #4
country flag Potato

Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute

^ I always thought Hingis was an all-court player.
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 03:23 AM   #5
country flag danieln1

danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
Did I miss the news about her retirement? If not then that's probably a rather premature statement...
This.

He missed the "so far"

Venus - Kvitova - Putintseva - Robson - Stosur - Cibulkova - Stephens
danieln1 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 03:29 AM   #6
country flag Graftard

Graftard is a splendid one to behold Graftard is a splendid one to behold Graftard is a splendid one to behold Graftard is a splendid one to behold Graftard is a splendid one to behold Graftard is a splendid one to behold Graftard is a splendid one to behold Graftard is a splendid one to behold Graftard is a splendid one to behold Graftard is a splendid one to behold Graftard is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potato View Post
^ I always thought Hingis was an all-court player.
Hingis wasn't an all court player. She had no power in her serve or forehand to qualify. However smart she was on court, despite all her brilliance and point construction, the heart of her game was still defensive. A true all court player (Steffi Graf, Roger Federer) has no easily exploitable weaknesses; Hingis was vulnerable to being hit off court. That's why I am always annoyed when people are so quick to label a particular player "all court" when in reality only a handful of such players existed since the sport was invented.
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 03:33 AM   #7
country flag LeonHart

LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graftard View Post
Hingis wasn't an all court player. She had no power in her serve or forehand to qualify. However smart she was on court, despite all her brilliance and point construction, the heart of her game was still defensive. A true all court player (Steffi Graf, Roger Federer) has no easily exploitable weaknesses; Hingis was vulnerable to being hit off court. That's why I am always annoyed when people are so quick to label a particular player "all court" when in reality only a handful of such players existed since the sport was invented.
You're such a troll. Hingis a counter-puncher? You're TOO FUNNY. Why is Venus always cramping when she plays Hingis if Hingis is a counter puncher. Dumb troll is dumb.

Sorana Cirstea - Stefanie Voegele - Michelle Larcher de Brito - Alexandra Dulgheru

Martina I will miss you!!
LeonHart is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 03:42 AM   #8
country flag Graftard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonHart View Post
You're such a troll. Hingis a counter-puncher? You're TOO FUNNY. Why is Venus always cramping when she plays Hingis if Hingis is a counter puncher. Dumb troll is dumb.
Hingis was a counterpuncher. Open up youtube and actually watch her matches. Who the hell cares about specific H2H?

Hingis was always prone to getting overpowered, especially on faster courts. A true all court player has no such problem.
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 03:50 AM   #9
country flag LoveFifteen
Gone with the Wind fabulous!

LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute

Here's an irony: the woman widely regarded as the greatest of all time got a major assist from a psychotic knife-wielding stan.
LoveFifteen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 04:01 AM   #10
country flag Hardiansf

Hardiansf has much to be proud of Hardiansf has much to be proud of Hardiansf has much to be proud of Hardiansf has much to be proud of Hardiansf has much to be proud of Hardiansf has much to be proud of Hardiansf has much to be proud of Hardiansf has much to be proud of Hardiansf has much to be proud of Hardiansf has much to be proud of Hardiansf has much to be proud of

1. mauresmo at roland garros
2. venus = 7 slams only?
3. monica seles
Miss you Monica Wynne Angie Anna Chakvy Marion
Good luck also : Svetlana Li Na
Hardiansf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 04:07 AM   #11
country flag Brad[le]y.
Wingis <3

Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveFifteen View Post
Here's an irony: the woman widely regarded as the greatest of all time got a major assist from a psychotic knife-wielding stan.
Is this really where you want this thread to go?
Brad[le]y. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 04:16 AM   #12
country flag LeonHart

LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hingis was a counterpuncher. Open up youtube and actually watch her matches. Who the hell cares about specific H2H?

Hingis was always prone to getting overpowered, especially on faster courts. A true all court player has no such problem.
I said nothing about H2H...talk about delusional. Hingis is prone to getting overpowered...by a few elite players. However she is nothing close to a counter-puncher. How many times has Venus cramped against Coezter, Sanchez-Vicario? They are the true counter-punchers. Venus cramped up almost everytime she played Hingis, and on fast surfaces at that. So don't go rambling like you know Hingis AT ALL cause you don't and you look like a fool. BTW name me a counter-puncher that has won 5+ singles slam titles and 9+ doubles slam titles

Sorana Cirstea - Stefanie Voegele - Michelle Larcher de Brito - Alexandra Dulgheru

Martina I will miss you!!
LeonHart is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 04:34 AM   #13
country flag Graftard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonHart View Post
I said nothing about H2H...talk about delusional. Hingis is prone to getting overpowered...by a few elite players. However she is nothing close to a counter-puncher. How many times has Venus cramped against Coezter, Sanchez-Vicario? They are the true counter-punchers. Venus cramped up almost everytime she played Hingis, and on fast surfaces at that. So don't go rambling like you know Hingis AT ALL cause you don't and you look like a fool. BTW name me a counter-puncher that has won 5+ singles slam titles and 9+ doubles slam titles
Chris Evert. The greatest counterpuncher of all time. Consistent. Solid backhand. Immense mental strength.

You seem to think that I use the term "counterpuncher" in a derogatory way, which isn't the case. I am simply not a fan of that particular play style.

Hingis, Henin, Evert, they were all defensive players at heart and it took a lot out of them to attack and play offensive tennis when it mattered and I admire them for it. However when it comes to pure entertainment, I always prefered Steffi Graf, Novotna, Navratilova for their offensive play.

That is why I am a fan of Kvitova right now. The cowardly grinding from the baseline, the moonballing and pushing left a bad taste in my mouth for quite a long time now. Once tennis recovers the lost art of attacking first strike style of play, the more exciting it will be for the game.
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 05:00 AM   #14
country flag rimon

rimon is a glorious beacon of light rimon is a glorious beacon of light rimon is a glorious beacon of light rimon is a glorious beacon of light rimon is a glorious beacon of light rimon is a glorious beacon of light rimon is a glorious beacon of light rimon is a glorious beacon of light rimon is a glorious beacon of light rimon is a glorious beacon of light rimon is a glorious beacon of light

Well, 11 replies and 0 actual answers.

Although fair enough point about Li, put it down as "so far".
rimon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 05:22 AM   #15
country flag SM

SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hingis winning Wimbledon was tremendous luck. A counterpuncher winning Wimbledon on fast grass against S&Ver
Was it luck that she was one match win from winning all four majors that year?

Official loudest cheerer of don't knock the dok!
SM is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote