Seles Still Zealous - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 12:11 AM   #1
country flag Justin

Justin has a brilliant future Justin has a brilliant future Justin has a brilliant future Justin has a brilliant future Justin has a brilliant future Justin has a brilliant future Justin has a brilliant future Justin has a brilliant future Justin has a brilliant future Justin has a brilliant future Justin has a brilliant future
Seles Still Zealous

SELES STILL ZEALOUS
Through it all, her love of tennis remains
By Ramona Shelburne

At 28, Monica Seles has crossed the imaginary age barrier that leads to questions about retirement. She already has been the best women's tennis player in the world and already is a millionaire several times over.

But the perfect time to look back on a fine career and move on to the next stage in life? Not a chance.

Seles, perhaps slowed but still passionate, has no plans to call it quits in the immediate future. She even has designs on at least one more Grand Slam title.

The one-time teenage prodigy hasn't dominated women's tennis as she did before she was stabbed at a tournament in Hamburg, Germany, in 1993, and missed 27 months. However, she has consistently been ranked in the top 10 since her return in 1995. And if she never again reaches the top, she'll have no regrets. Seles is enjoying her career as much as ever and will stick around until that changes.

"You look at what the press says, that you're old and washed up when you're 25 or 26," said Seles, currently ranked No. 7 and seeded sixth in the Women's Tennis Championships beginning Wednesday at Staples Center. "It's not as bad as gymnastics, but it's almost getting to be like that. But I think I'll play max, another two years, like at 30 I'm going to stop. But who knows, if I go to Australia in January and I'm just like, 'Gosh, this is not what I want to be doing,' then I'm going to stop. There's no pressure there.

"I'd love to win a Grand Slam before my career is over. But it's not the only thing. If I don't win another one, it's not like I won't be happy with my career."

The Women's Tennis Championships will be her first tournament since September. She has been rehabilitating a stress reaction in her right foot that has hampered her since April. Before that, Seles was having one of her best seasons since she became the youngest No. 1 player at 17 in March of 1991. After she beat Venus Williams in the quarterfinals of the Australian Open in February -- ending Williams' victory streak at 24 matches -- Seles reached the semifinals or better in the first five events of 2002.

Her rivals took notice.

"For Monica, I think it would be hard to stop because she's always finished so high, she always has these great years, she wins titles and she's always kind of giving herself a chance at the Slams," said close friend Lindsay Davenport, who will be Seles' first-round opponent Wednesday night.

"You should keep playing if you're able to stay up there. I think it's tougher if you're up there and then you fall and then you're barely ranked 50th. But (Monica) still hits the ball better than anybody, she hits amazing shots and she returns so well. Her game is a great game. I haven't played her this year but it seems like she always beats the players she's supposed to beat and is always in the quarters and the semis and the finals of all the tournaments."

That Seles is able to play at that level is remarkable considering that for two years and three months, at the peak of her career, she did not even pick up a tennis racket.

Seles was only 19 when 38-year-old German Gunther Parche jumped onto the court and plunged a 9-inch boning knife between her shoulder blades during a changeover in her quarterfinal match against Magdalena Maleeva at the Citizen Cup Tournament on April 30, 1993.

At the time, Seles had been the most dominating player in women's tennis for two years. She had already won eight of the 14 Grand Slam tournaments in which she had played. In 1991, on her way to the No. 1 ranking, Seles reached the final of every event she entered and won all three Grand Slams she entered. In 1992, she repeated as champion of the Australian, French, and U.S. Opens and compiled a 70-5 match record.

Parche said later he had not intended to kill Seles, merely to injure her so that Steffi Graf could regain the No. 1 ranking. But had Seles not been bending down when Parche stabbed her, doctors said he could have killed her because the knife narrowly missed the spinal area.

Parche didn't spend a day in prison for the attack and Seles remains deeply hurt by that. The judge in the case, Elke Bosse, gave Parche a suspended two-year sentence based partly on the testimony of a psychiatrist who said he had a highly abnormal personality.

Since the ruling, Seles has decided not to play in Germany again.

"I just never wanted to come back when they never punished the guy, he never spent a day in jail," she said. "I was really hurt about that. But then I realized I loved the game way too much. I really think my dad (Karolj) helped me to see that you gotta do what you love."

In her first event back, in August 1995, Seles -- who retained her No. 1 ranking because of the unusual circumstances -- won the 1995 Canadian Open as a wild card. Next, she reached the final of the U.S. Open as a No. 2 seed before losing to Graf 7-6, 0-6, 6-3.

Seles remained No. 1 until November 1996. Since then, her best finish in a Grand Slam was an appearance in the 1998 French Open final.

The two years she sat out are forever gone and Seles is left to wonder how many Grand Slams she might've won during that time. But as horrible as the incident was, Seles has taken something positive from it.

"It's a Catch-22, but in the long run it definitely helped me to see that there is life outside of tennis," Seles said. "In those two years, I could finally spend time with kids my own age and do stuff. If I wanted to go skiing, I didn't have to worry about breaking a finger or breaking my leg. I stayed out in Vail (Colo.) and Lake Tahoe and, really, I just lived like a normal life. It was so good.

"Since I was probably 8 years old, I'd never spent more than two months at my house, so it was nice."

Seles allows herself to think about what life will be like without the game she has loved since she began playing with her father on a parking lot in Novi Sad, the capital of Vojvodina, an autonomous province in the former Yugoslavia claimed by Serbia.

And she feels good about it.

"Oh yeah, I let myself think about it," Seles said, laughing. "I'm kind of looking forward to it because it will really be the first time I'll have a normal life. Another part of me is definitely like, 'What am I going to do?', because I've played tennis for so long and I've always been so focused on it. I'm just trying to explore a few other things. I feel like a lot of my friends went through this, not at 28, but when they were like 22. I don't know what I want to do, but I think I have a lot of time to figure that out. But I don't think my transition will be too difficult. I just think it will be difficult to find something that I love as much as I love tennis."
Justin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 12:13 AM   #2
country flag Justin

Justin has a brilliant future Justin has a brilliant future Justin has a brilliant future Justin has a brilliant future Justin has a brilliant future Justin has a brilliant future Justin has a brilliant future Justin has a brilliant future Justin has a brilliant future Justin has a brilliant future Justin has a brilliant future
Once more, with feeling
Monica Seles aims to win one more Grand Slam title before she retires from tennis, the sport she loves
By JANIS CARR

LOS ANGELES – Monica Seles leans back from the table and laughs, letting out an infectious chuckle that has become as much her trademark as her two-fisted forehand and grunts.

These days the laughs come easily. At age 28, and after more than a decade on the professional tennis tour, Seles finds plenty to amuse her. There's the thought of retirement and those who think she should retire. Her work ethic or lack thereof. The Williams sisters, whom she calls "good for tennis." The women's tour. What life has presented to her and taken away. The world in general.

And from her perch, the view is good. She consistently has been ranked among the world's top 10 since 1989. No other current top player can say that. Of course, no other top player has been around that long. Seles is ranked No.7 and is one of the seeded players in this week's WTA Championships that begin Wednesday at Staples Center. Serena and Venus Williams hold the Nos.1 and 2 spots in the tournament, which features the world's top 16 players.

"I don't want to say it surprises me because she still hits the ball better than anybody," Lindsay Davenport said of Seles' longevity. "She hits amazing shots and returns so well. Her game is a great game, and her serve is good. ... She always seems to beat the players she's supposed to beat and get to the quarters, semis or finals of tournaments."

Then why are people rushing to push Seles, a quarterfinalist at this year's U.S. Open, out the door? Because she is over-the-hill by tennis standards.

"In tennis, you are washed up by 25. But that's not as bad as gymnastics when you are finished at age 20," Seles said with a laugh.

Seles emerged onto the tennis scene 14 years ago, bringing with her a confusing forehand, groundstrokes packed with power not seen before and that laugh. At 14, she became an instant fan favorite with her bubbly answers, her strident grunts and tenacious tennis.

So why would anyone who appreciates tennis want to see Seles retire? So what if she can't beat Venus or Serena, or Lindsay or Jennifer Capriati? So what if she hasn't won a Grand Slam title in six years and has had more injuries than titles this past year? She is still grunting, still going for winners, still playing with passion.

"I just love to play tennis," she said. "I do know that if I'm not playing in a day, year or two months from now I would still want to practice and play."

Surprisingly, Seles is not having a hard time envisioning life after tennis, though she realizes the transition from playing in front of thousands of fans to a quiet game in her Florida back yard will be more difficult than chasing a lob on her creaky feet.

"One part of me wants a normal life, the other part of me is a bit apprehensive," said Seles, who has been plagued by foot injuries the past few years. "In some ways I would like to stay (in the sport), but I don't know. But in other ways I would like to do something different.

"Maybe go to college. But that's a lot of work."

She laughs.

Maybe married, with a child like her former nemesis, Steffi Graf?

"No, not right now. Down the road maybe. I'm only 28, so I have time I hope."

She laughs even more.

Inspired by Pete Sampras' improbable victory at the U.S. Open, Seles is giving herself at least two more years on the tour to win another major tournament. First stop, the 2003 Australian Open.

"But who knows? If I go to Australia in January and I feel 'Gosh, this is not what I want to be doing,' then I'm going to stop," she said.

And if and when she stops, Seles, who turns 29 in December, promises she would not return like Martina Navratilova, who is back playing doubles at age 46.

"I think when you look at the history of sports, all the great champions have had trouble making that transition. Few succeed," Seles said. "It's not easy because for such a long time that is your focus, and there is so much attention and if you like the attention, its very difficult to get out.

"It depends on personality. Everywhere you go everyone is 'Oh how great you are' and everything. Then once you stop, you're as good as your last result."

Davenport, a Laguna Beach resident who also has begun to think about life after tennis, said it would be difficult for Seles to stop.

"She's always up high. She always has these great, great years," Davenport said. "She always is giving herself a chance at Slams. You know, that's unbelievable."

Seles, holder of nine Grand Slam tournament titles, has not won a major event since the 1996 Australian Open, a watershed victory, it being her first Grand Slam tournament victory since being stabbed by a deranged fan in 1993.

After that incident, Seles stayed away from tennis for the next 27 months, not picking up a racket for a year. Although she missed tennis, Seles was far from bored.

She skied. She hiked. She hung out with friends her own age. She spent time with her parents, became a U.S. citizen, picked up the guitar and got involved with the Special Olympics.

Today, she can talk about those lost years with perspective and without hesitation.

"In a weird way I think that was a positive," she said. "When you first come out (onto the tennis scene) you play junior tournaments, then satellite tournaments, and you don't experience the other stuff that kids your age experience. Then you kind of live in an adult world at age 14, 15. So that was really nice for me, to spend time with kids my own age.

"If I wanted to go skiing, great. I didn't have to worry about breaking my finger. Little things. Yet, at the same time, you miss out on being No.1 like I was when I got stabbed. It's a Catch-22. But, in the long run, it definitely helps you see there is life outside of tennis."

Seles said before she leaves her beloved sport there are a few things she would like to see, starting with out-of-tournament drug testing. She said the rumors of steroid use among some of the players warrant such a move.

"To make sure the sport is clean, they should test. It's a simple procedure," she said. "Some are making a big deal about it when it should be standard. Tennis and other sports hopefully will go to that."

Seles said she also would like to see the Williams sisters stick around a little big longer, even if it does make for monotony in Grand Slam tournament finals.

"Tennis would be great if they stayed in there long," Seles said of Venus and Serena. "They have a nice balance in their lives because they have a lot of other interests."

But who can beat them? Seles beat Venus in the quarterfinals of the 2002 Australian Open, and a few others have been able to knock them aside. But no one has beaten the sisters with any consistency the past two years.

"Initially it will be tough (to beat them), especially if you have lost to them six times in a row," Seles said. "Lindsay definitely has the game. If Martina (Hingis) can play well, she has a chance.

"Everyone goes through a cycle."

And for Seles, this could be the final spin.
Justin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2002, 12:31 AM   #3
selesrules

selesrules has a little shameless behaviour in the past selesrules has a little shameless behaviour in the past selesrules has a little shameless behaviour in the past selesrules has a little shameless behaviour in the past selesrules has a little shameless behaviour in the past selesrules has a little shameless behaviour in the past
WOW !!!

Thank you very much for these articles! It's great to see Monica so positive and still dedicated to give her best, I'm glad that she plans to play for maybe 2 more years. Also it's great to see Lindsay saying all these nice things about Monica, and the same goes for Monica about Williams sisters. I hope that she will win another grandslam before she retires, she truly deserves it!

Good luck Monica tomorrow and for the rest of your career!
selesrules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2002, 01:20 AM   #4
mishar

mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of mishar has much to be proud of
Great articles! So nice to hear monica sounding so positive.
And I've always thought she'll play through 2004, barring any bad injuries.

Nice to hear saying positive things about Venus and Serena, as she always does.

Good luck this week Monica!
mishar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2002, 01:25 AM   #5
Pureracket

Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute
Nice to read this!!!!!

OFFICIAL BLACKSMITH OF THE ROYAL COURT

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public!
Pureracket is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2002, 01:31 AM   #6
country flag Harju.
Ferosh Warrior ♥

Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute

Great news!!
Monica still hasn't lost her confidence which is good

Harju. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2002, 01:51 AM   #7
country flag treufreund

treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute
Monica thinks Martina still has a chance.
treufreund is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2002, 03:46 PM   #8
country flag Bероника
creo en la diosa ♥ Sveta ♥

Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute
Oh my great Monica,always so classy!!!!
Best of luck in LA!!!!
Old Nov 6th, 2002, 03:57 PM   #9
country flag Bероника
creo en la diosa ♥ Sveta ♥

Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute
Oh my great Monica,always so classy!!!!
Best of luck in LA!!!!
Old Nov 6th, 2002, 04:37 PM   #10
country flag earthcrystal

earthcrystal has a brilliant future earthcrystal has a brilliant future earthcrystal has a brilliant future earthcrystal has a brilliant future earthcrystal has a brilliant future earthcrystal has a brilliant future earthcrystal has a brilliant future earthcrystal has a brilliant future earthcrystal has a brilliant future earthcrystal has a brilliant future earthcrystal has a brilliant future
Love these articles. Thanks for the posts.

"I'd love to win a Grand Slam before my career is over. But it's not the only thing. If I don't win another one, it's not like I won't be happy with my career."

Perspective: Use it or Lose it. -Richard Bach

Thankfully Monica uses it, in healthy doses!
earthcrystal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2002, 04:45 PM   #11
jay_k

jay_k is on a distinguished road jay_k is on a distinguished road jay_k is on a distinguished road jay_k is on a distinguished road jay_k is on a distinguished road jay_k is on a distinguished road jay_k is on a distinguished road jay_k is on a distinguished road jay_k is on a distinguished road jay_k is on a distinguished road jay_k is on a distinguished road
Wow !!

Go Monica !!
jay_k is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2002, 05:31 PM   #12
country flag Monica_Rules

Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute
Thanx for the articles!

Naomi Broady, Tara Moore, Heather Watson , Laura Robson

Johanna Konta, Eleanor Dean
, Sam Murray
Katy Dunne Katie Boulter
Monica_Rules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote