1985 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 17th, 2014, 02:42 AM   #1
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

2015 will be the 30 year anniversary of 1985, one of most thrilling years in women's tennis.

For the last 3 years Martina Navratilova had dominated her sport. Chris Evert was a distant second at best, having lost 13 consecutive times to Martina. Her last victory over Navratilova had been in 1982.

Tracy Austin and Andrea Jaeger were history at this point, Pam Shriver still showed no signs of breaking through, and no one else was on the horizon.

Hana Mandlikova had an above average 1984-but she was Hana after all, do who knew what to expect?

At the start of the year it was all status quo, Martina like a perennial Mount Everest over all the rest.

By the end of the wild ride of 1985 Mount Everest still stood, but the landscape of women's tennis had been altered for good.

Come on in and lets talk about one of my favorite years in women's tennis!

Last edited by Rollo : Dec 17th, 2014 at 02:59 AM.
Rollo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 17th, 2014, 02:42 AM   #2
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1985

The Top Ten Songs for 1985 (will put links to videos here-help please!)

1 Wham! Careless Whisper

2 Madonna Like a Virgin

3 Wham! Wake Me up Before You Go-Go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIgZ7gMze7A

4 Foreigner I Want to Know What Love Is
5 Chaka Khan I Feel for You
6 Daryl Hall and John Oates Out of Touch
7 Tears For Fears Everybody Wants to Rule the World
8 Dire Straits Money for Nothing
9 Madonna Crazy for You
10 A-ha Take on Me

Watch these videos and it gives you some idea about why teased hair and bad clothes ruled the 80s!

Last edited by Rollo : Dec 17th, 2014 at 02:57 AM.
Old Dec 17th, 2014, 02:46 AM   #3
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Re: 1985

One of the up and comers was Susan Sloane, featured in the article below.
The article also providea glimpse into the tennis academy system that Nick Bolletieri pioneered.

`Life` Giving Sloane A Star Treatment

December 11, 1985|By Jim Sarni, Staff Writer

POMPANO BEACH — A day in the life of junior tennis player Susan Sloane.

Or rather, Life in the day of Susan Sloane.

The Lexington, Ky., 15-year-old, the top player on the United States` Continental Players Cup team, is the subject of a feature story for the March issue of Life magazine devoted to today`s teen-agers.

And for the past week, Sloane has been getting the star treatment.

Wednesday a Life photographer showed up in Bradenton to begin shooting Sloane at Nick Bollettieri`s Tennis Academy, where she lives and trains.

Monday the photographer was still on Sloane`s trail as she walked along the beach and relaxed in her motel room. Tuesday the scene shifted to the Pompano Beach Tennis Center, where Sloane helped the top-seeded Americans survive a 2-1 opening-round victory over Yugoslavia in the Continental Players Cup.

After Yugoslavia`s Karmen Skulj defeated Cammy McGregor 6-3, 6-2, Sloane stopped Aila Winkler 6-3, 6-2 to even the singles. McGregor and Stephanie London then beat Skulj and Winkler 6-3, 7-6 (7-4) in the deciding doubles.

One can`t blame Life for focusing on Sloane. She is bright, talented and attractive. Agents have been whispering in her ear since she was 11.

Sloane could be one of America`s elite by the end of the decade. Right now, Sloane is tentatively ranked No. 3 in the country in Girls` 18s behind Stephanie Rehe and Mary Joe Fernandez. Rehe turned pro at the U.S. Open and has won two tournaments. Fernandez began to be a headliner when she became the youngest player to win a match in a pro tournament, at Bonaventure in 1984.

Sloane, who turned 15 last week, has been making slower, but steady, strides. After winning the Girls` 18 hardcourts, her fifth national title, she won the USTA pro tournament in Birmingham, Ala., then qualified for the U.S. Open.

``Pro tennis is my goal, and I`m working on it,`` said Sloane, a ninth- grader. ``I`ve done well at the nationals and in some pro tournaments. But I still have a long way to go.``

Sloane will get her first pro ranking Jan. 1, but she is not going to rush into a full-time professional career.

``I`ll turn pro when I`m ready,`` she said. ``Rehe turned pro at the right time. She played pro tournaments for about two years first.``

Sloane is grooming her game at Bollettieri`s, the finishing school of many pros.

``In Lexington, there are not many people to play with,`` said Sloane, who does not ride a horse or shoot an 18-foot jump shot from the top of the key.

``My coach has been working with Nick, and I decided to move there at the end of September. It`s a lot easier at the academy. Everything is right there, the tennis, Nautilus. In Kentucky, I`d have to go to all these different places.``

Sloane, the daughter of a dry-cleaner, started playing at 6; she is a typical teen-ager off the court. She listens to Duran Duran, reads Danielle Steele and watches Family Ties.

She does not seem to be in too much of a hurry to turn pro and make a million dollars.

But this week she has gotten a taste of the glamorous Life.

``I guess all the attention goes along with being a tennis player,`` Sloane said. ``It`s something you have to deal with. I can handle it.``

At the Sunshine Cup in Plantation, the defending champion United States beat Denmark 2-1 in its first match. John Boytim and Juan Farrow won their singles matches but lost the doubles.

Top-seeded Sweden, No. 2 Argentina and No. 3 Yugoslavia also advanced.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/198...he-tennis-usta