Who created TennisForum? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 7th, 2011, 06:41 AM   #1
country flag SwingVolley93

SwingVolley93 has a reputation beyond repute SwingVolley93 has a reputation beyond repute SwingVolley93 has a reputation beyond repute SwingVolley93 has a reputation beyond repute SwingVolley93 has a reputation beyond repute SwingVolley93 has a reputation beyond repute SwingVolley93 has a reputation beyond repute SwingVolley93 has a reputation beyond repute SwingVolley93 has a reputation beyond repute SwingVolley93 has a reputation beyond repute SwingVolley93 has a reputation beyond repute
Who created TennisForum?

and how/why was it created? I have always wanted to know and tried to research it through here but could never discover. Sorry if this thread is improperly placed.
SwingVolley93 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 7th, 2011, 06:56 AM   #2
country flag Remix13

Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of
Re: Who created TennisForum?

TF is probably a creation of Tennis Gods
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 07:02 AM   #3
country flag Whitehead's Boy

Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute

I might get some details wrong but here's what I remember.

It was created by a Canadian guy named "Poe" for his small clique of friends. The website used to be called Wtaworld. He sold it to Verticalscope at some point.

The day Ashley Harkleroad played her JUNIOR match on Ashe at the US Open 2001, for some reason the official forum of the WTA Tour crashed, and never came back. Then a few days after, when September 11 happened, people from the official forum tried to find another site to talk to each other and check if people were fine. They came here. As month passed, the website grew bigger and bigger and became the replacement for the official WTA tour forum.

So basically this forum exists because the WTA Tour no longer wanted to have an official forum.
Whitehead's Boy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 07:20 AM   #4
country flag dornik

dornik has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitehead's Boy View Post

It was created by a Canadian guy named "Poe" for his small clique of friends. The website used to be called Wtaworld. He sold it to Verticalscope at some point.

The day Ashley Harkleroad played her JUNIOR match on Ashe at the US Open 2001, for some reason the official forum of the WTA Tour crashed, and never came back. Then a few days after, when September 11 happened, people from the official forum tried to find another site to talk to each other and check if people were fine. They came here. As month passed, the website grew bigger and bigger and became the replacement for the official WTA tour forum.

So basically this forum exists because the WTA Tour no longer wanted to have an official forum.
Thanks!

And we all should thank WTA Tour for the decision.
dornik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 07:46 AM   #5
country flag SwingVolley93

SwingVolley93 has a reputation beyond repute SwingVolley93 has a reputation beyond repute SwingVolley93 has a reputation beyond repute SwingVolley93 has a reputation beyond repute SwingVolley93 has a reputation beyond repute SwingVolley93 has a reputation beyond repute SwingVolley93 has a reputation beyond repute SwingVolley93 has a reputation beyond repute SwingVolley93 has a reputation beyond repute SwingVolley93 has a reputation beyond repute SwingVolley93 has a reputation beyond repute

Great Insight
SwingVolley93 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 08:02 AM   #6
country flag bulava

bulava has much to be proud of bulava has much to be proud of bulava has much to be proud of bulava has much to be proud of bulava has much to be proud of bulava has much to be proud of bulava has much to be proud of bulava has much to be proud of bulava has much to be proud of bulava has much to be proud of bulava has much to be proud of

Quote:
As month passed, the website grew bigger and bigger and became the replacement for the official WTA tour forum.
This is news to me so I've learned something new today. Thank you
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 08:30 AM   #7
moby

moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

This is right, I think. The board started in May 2001, and I chanced upon it one night when I typed in wtaworld.com instead of wtatour.com (by accident; because I was sleepy). Back then the Sanex board was still working, so I didn't see the need to sign up, although I lurked for months. But come September, the Sanex board had crashed and there was notable immigration to this board, so I signed on too. I suspect many of us thought the move here was temporary, but the WTA never fixed the Sanex forum and this one was much better organised anyway.

I'm not sure about the details of the sale. But I knew at some point when the board was about 2 years old, it was closed for weeks and it seemed as though it was never going to be reopened again because of lack of finances/manpower. I remember writing some sappy email telling the administrators that the board had to be reopened. In my defence, I was not the only one, and I was a teenager, and the board was a classier affair back then.

I remember the board as being fairly Belgian-heavy at the start. Other early posters were carot, Dahveed, Hurricane Lily, gentenaire (who still posts). I also remember The Leopard and Big Fat Pink Elephant / Marri.
Love long has taken for his amulet/One perfect rose.
Why is it no one ever sent me yet/One perfect limousine, do you suppose?
Ah no, it's always just my luck to get/One perfect rose.

Last edited by moby : Jul 7th, 2011 at 08:37 AM.
moby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 08:53 AM   #8
country flag Renalicious
goatra

Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute

What a rich history.

serena, jankovic, venus, na, hsieh, date-krumm, jovanovski
makarova, diatchenko, halep, goerges and kvitova

My Youtube Channel
Renalicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #9
country flag Kworb
Most Loved Member

Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute

TF really needs a technical administrator. In all my time here I can't remember ever seeing a software update or a new feature. For a forum this size it looks and feels really poor.

SERENA WILLIAMS 64 75 AGNIESZKA RADWANSKA 61 57 60
LAUREN DAVIS 60 76 CAMILA GIORGI 46 63 75 BOJANA JOVANOVSKI 63 36 75
VENUS WILLIAMS 64 76 AGNIESZKA RADWANSKA 62 62
Kworb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 02:37 PM   #10
country flag Barrie_Dude

Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute

O, I have fond memories of the folks that used to be here. What a crazy family we were
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #11
country flag Rocketta
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!

Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute

Oh those were the days!

This site use to be a home away from home and people made life-long friends here. The climate severely changed after the sale but I understand it. It was a lot of work and money for a crowd, probably due to age, who would act very ungracious at times.

Ohh, I also believe Wta_Amanda was one of the founders if I remember correctly. Also, before the sale they used to update the software a lot but not now.

Also, from what I remember this board started out for Mauresmo fans initially and thankfully, they turned out to be a really wonderful mature group of people because they welcomed everyone else when the sanex board collapsed.

Anyway, Shoutout to all the originals!
Rocketta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 03:25 PM   #12
country flag Rocketta

Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and this site was then and forever more WTAWOLRD.com!

I want to get a shirt with that logo soooooooo bad and wear it to the USOpen.

Oh and one last thing, I remember that shutdown and how everyone was going crazy logging into to other boards looking for other Wtaworld people. People who you fought with everyday on here were your best friend when you could find them on other sites... The site came back because people volunteered to give donations to help pay the costs of the maintenance of this site and some other things.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 03:47 PM   #13
country flag Certinfy

Certinfy has a reputation beyond repute Certinfy has a reputation beyond repute Certinfy has a reputation beyond repute Certinfy has a reputation beyond repute Certinfy has a reputation beyond repute Certinfy has a reputation beyond repute Certinfy has a reputation beyond repute Certinfy has a reputation beyond repute Certinfy has a reputation beyond repute Certinfy has a reputation beyond repute Certinfy has a reputation beyond repute

So I assume from the idea of this forum MTF was created?
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #14
country flag Rocketta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certinfy View Post
So I assume from the idea of this forum MTF was created?

not sure if you are asking if MTF was formed because of Wtaworld or vice versa?

Old Jul 7th, 2011, 03:57 PM   #15
country flag Shonami Slam

Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute

great thread.
if you have nothing important to say, please do so in non-tennis forum. if you have something you think is important, but is actually rubbish regarding anything other than tennis - please do so in the non-tennis forum. if you have something tennis related to say, but it's actually "OMG, X player is so h0t!1" or "who has the biggest boobs on the wtatour" please do so in menstennisforum, under "wta forum". if you have something important, tennis-related and interesting to say please do so. No one in the world can understand how much tennis means to someone, except another fan.
Shonami Slam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote