NY Daily News Article: Women's Tennis Is Boring No One Is Dominating - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 5th, 2011, 01:49 PM   #1
country flag Morrissey

Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold
NY Daily News Article: Women's Tennis Is Boring No One Is Dominating

Women's tennis lacks identity after Petra Kvitova takes Wimbledon, U.S. men's outlook bleak, too

FILIP BONDY

Tuesday, July 5th 2011, 4:00 AM

WIMBLEDON - Not long after Wimbledon champion Novak Djokovic was parading his trophy aloft around the All England Club grounds, the crowd departed the place and made its way toward the underground station in Southfields. And there walking along the sidewalk in the opposite direction, back toward the tennis grounds, was Petra Kvitova, the women's champion.

Kvitova strolled past these alleged experts on the sport, incognito.

Nobody recognized her until, finally, one man said, "Wasn't that the winner?"

There, in a two-paragraph nutshell, is the state of men's and women's tennis at the moment. The men are enjoying an orderly succession at the top of their tour, where Novak Djokovic has clambered to the summit and turned the Dynastic Duo of Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer into a ruling troika.

The women, meanwhile, are in an utter state of chaos, as their tour heads onto the hard courts and toward Flushing Meadows in August for the U.S. Open. The new rankings came out Monday, shedding absolutely no light on anything.

The top-ranked woman, Caroline Wozniacki, has not won a single major and the same can be said for two others ranked in the top four, Vera Zvonareva and Victoria Azarenka. Serena Williams, Kim Clijsters and Venus Williams - arguably the three best players in the sport - are all injured or coming off long layoffs. Serena dropped 150 places in the rankings this week, to 175th, creating a seedings nightmare for event organizers.

Six different women have reached the finals of the three majors this year, with three different champions. Only a well-meaning spin artist like Martina Navratilova - who says fans come to see the men and leave talking about the women - imagines any merit in all this.

"Right now it's hard to compare," Navratilova said. "Obviously the guys have the upper hand. They have four huge superstars (including Andy Murray) playing at the same time. You have two of the greatest players of all time playing at the same time. It pales.

"With the women, we've lost our biggest names," she said. "They're not playing for one reason or another. That being said, it's about quality, not quantity. I think the women are coming through pretty nicely. Nobody really grabbed that No. 1 ranking, so we'll see what happens the rest of the year."

For now, everybody awaits the ascension of the next great woman multi-champion, who has yet to reveal herself. This represents one of the longest periods of stalled evolution in memory. In the recent past, we've seen Navratilova and Chris Evert give way to Steffi Graf and Monica Seles, who eventually were surpassed by Martina Hingis and the Williams sisters.

"I don't want to anoint anybody here," Navratilova said. "That would be putting a lot of pressure on somebody. I don't want to take attention away from the players coming through. But there is a good batch now.

"They're good athletes, strong and healthy and hungry. They're very positive. I love the attitude. I wouldn't say anyone."

The men, meanwhile, have suffered no such absence of greatness. The quality of play right now is spectacular, though disheartening for would-be contenders. It is impossible even to imagine an American male winning the U.S. Open by beating the likes of Djokovic, Nadal, Federer and Murray.

If you're looking for the next American contenders, don't bother with the Andy Roddick-Mardy Fish generation on the men's side, or the Melanie Oudin-Bethanie Mattek-Sands group on the women's end. Madison Keys, a 16-year-old girl with considerable athletic talent, appeared the most promising here, barely losing in three sets to eventual Wimbledon junior champion Ashleigh Barty of Australia. In Flushing, look for Bjorn Fratangelo, who won the French Open boys title and skipped Wimbledon.

Are they the next Serena Williams or Roger Federer? Like Navratilova says, anointing anyone would be unfair. It's just that women's tennis is running out of time, and Americans have run out of patience.
Morrissey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 5th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #2
country flag Sammo

Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: NY Daily News Article: Women's Tennis Is Boring No One Is Dominating

Actually it's boring when someone dominates...

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live."
Sammo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #3
country flag Mynarco
EIFORYA

Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute

And there walking along the sidewalk in the opposite direction, back toward the tennis grounds, was Petra Kvitova, the women's champion.

Kvitova strolled past these alleged experts on the sport, incognito.

Nobody recognized her until, finally, one man said, "Wasn't that the winner?"

Suicide: 08 Montreal 08 Stuttgart 09 USO 11 Eastbourne Stanford 13 Sydney Highest ranked #03
Tennis Tipping: 09 Cincy D 10 Brisbane D Copenhagen SD 11 Palermo D Beijing S 12 Pattaya S Stuttgart Baku D 13 Palermo D 14 Monterrey D(SCHR: 17 DCHR: 10)
Mynarco is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 01:54 PM   #4
country flag eck
Esmerelda

eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute

FYI, it's 5 different finalists.

Anyways, the article is true. But whilst the women's singles wasn't of the highest quality, the men's single wasn't that good either.

As a whole, the women this year have shown some great tennis at Wimbledon.
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 01:56 PM   #5
country flag currie84

currie84 has a brilliant future currie84 has a brilliant future currie84 has a brilliant future currie84 has a brilliant future currie84 has a brilliant future currie84 has a brilliant future currie84 has a brilliant future currie84 has a brilliant future currie84 has a brilliant future currie84 has a brilliant future currie84 has a brilliant future

if there was a woman dominatin and several men winning atp slams the same journalist would blast the Wta for being boring while praising ATP's depth.I bet my house on it.and lmfao at Murray being a superstar and one of the best ever.
currie84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 01:59 PM   #6
country flag jerryxiao1988

jerryxiao1988 is just really nice jerryxiao1988 is just really nice jerryxiao1988 is just really nice jerryxiao1988 is just really nice jerryxiao1988 is just really nice jerryxiao1988 is just really nice jerryxiao1988 is just really nice jerryxiao1988 is just really nice jerryxiao1988 is just really nice jerryxiao1988 is just really nice jerryxiao1988 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post

Six different women have reached the finals of the three majors this year, with three different champions.
I reckon there are 5 different finalists instead of six.
jerryxiao1988 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 02:11 PM   #7
country flag backhandsmash

backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by currie84 View Post
if there was a woman dominatin and several men winning atp slams the same journalist would blast the Wta for being boring while praising ATP's depth.I bet my house on it.and lmfao at Murray being a superstar and one of the best ever.
They have to bitch about something, you know.
backhandsmash is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 02:13 PM   #8
country flag BepaMaria

BepaMaria is a splendid one to behold BepaMaria is a splendid one to behold BepaMaria is a splendid one to behold BepaMaria is a splendid one to behold BepaMaria is a splendid one to behold BepaMaria is a splendid one to behold BepaMaria is a splendid one to behold BepaMaria is a splendid one to behold BepaMaria is a splendid one to behold BepaMaria is a splendid one to behold BepaMaria is a splendid one to behold

This article can't be more wrong. It is interesting if noone is dominating because of the element of surprise. Nobody knows who exactly will win and there is no clear favourite, so this captures peoples' attention to watch women's tennis. On the mens' side, it is just a one man show with Djokovic winning everything and that is absolutely boring
I wish I could be BepaMaria, blessed with the knowledge of who's going to win every Slam before it happens
Pushniacki will remain slamless and never return to the top 5
Biggest Saviour of the WTA: Kim Clijsters 63 76
BepaMaria is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 02:16 PM   #9
country flag Slutiana

Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krookodile View Post
FYI, it's 5 different finalists.

Anyways, the article is true. But whilst the women's singles wasn't of the highest quality, the men's single wasn't that good either.

As a whole, the women this year have shown some great tennis at Wimbledon.
The men's match was appalling, but as far as the media is concerned, they can do no wrong.

And of course Petra is still unknown to Brits who watch tennis 2 weeks a year. If she keeps on winning then she will soon become more prominent.
Slutiana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #10
country flag Mynarco
EIFORYA

Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute

Despite Djokovic Winning Wimbledon, I am far from satisfactory about the Mens final this year. Nadal is fucking HORRIBLE

Suicide: 08 Montreal 08 Stuttgart 09 USO 11 Eastbourne Stanford 13 Sydney Highest ranked #03
Tennis Tipping: 09 Cincy D 10 Brisbane D Copenhagen SD 11 Palermo D Beijing S 12 Pattaya S Stuttgart Baku D 13 Palermo D 14 Monterrey D(SCHR: 17 DCHR: 10)
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #11
country flag SVK
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SVK has a reputation beyond repute SVK has a reputation beyond repute SVK has a reputation beyond repute SVK has a reputation beyond repute SVK has a reputation beyond repute SVK has a reputation beyond repute SVK has a reputation beyond repute SVK has a reputation beyond repute SVK has a reputation beyond repute SVK has a reputation beyond repute SVK has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with the first part...and then I saw the second

Yeah, because it´s very interesting when 4 players are dominating...
SVK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 02:18 PM   #12
country flag Mynarco
EIFORYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anotoxfa View Post
Agree with the first part...and then I saw the second

Yeah, because it´s very interesting when 4 players are dominating...
Murray against Djokovic/Federer/Nadal is always NID in slams.

Old Jul 5th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #13
country flag Jane Lane

Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute

The NY Daily News is a disgrace to journalism. Just so you know.
Jane Lane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #14
tennnisfannn

tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute

It wasn't too long ago they were writing the same article when the sisters were dominating, guess domination is good only if a certain duo is not it!
I have enjoyed these last two slams with the most random players gunning for the title.
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #15
country flag Kworb
Most Loved Member

Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute Kworb has a reputation beyond repute

It's not like the ATP is that much better. The men's final was one of the worst in decades. Nadal-Djokovic is a boring "rivalry", with spectators pulling their hair in frustation as Nadal pulls on his underwear and Djokovic bounces the ball for half a minute. Not to mention that Nadal, Djokovic and Murray are much, much less likable than Federer. It's Federer alone who has kept men's tennis alive for all this time. When he is gone, the ATP will be in deep shit, just like the WTA is without the Williams sisters and the Belgians.

SERENA WILLIAMS 64 75 AGNIESZKA RADWANSKA 61 57 60
LAUREN DAVIS 60 76 CAMILA GIORGI 46 63 75 BOJANA JOVANOVSKI 63 36 75
Kworb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote