Petra Kvitova News and Articles - Page 87 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:11 AM   #1291
country flag paulmara

paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

WTA this week: Language lessons with Petra Kvitova
by Bobby Chintapalli

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1...iewMode=single
paulmara is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 11:31 AM   #1292
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmara View Post
by Bobby Chintapalli

Cute article, thanks.
Petronius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 01:42 PM   #1293
country flag steni

steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of

Quote:
by Bobby Chintapalli

Thank you! Btw do you have some info about Petra's whereabouts?
steni is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 02:18 PM   #1294
country flag PetraReeMona

PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by steni View Post
Thank you! Btw do you have some info about Petra's whereabouts?

PetraReeMona is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 03:17 PM   #1295
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
by Bobby Chintapalli

Very good article by Bobby.

And I truly enjoyed the English discussion. But to be quite honest, I would have loved to hear/learn more about Petra's tennis.

I'm starting to wonder if they really have a definitive plan or concerted outlook.

Nonetheless, a couple of WTF and sublime Petra moments/quotes:

Quote:
Coincidentally or not she made most progress in the tennis and English departments in the same North American city: "When we were in Montreal I had to speak in English with Katie for one week, because I didn't have my coach there. So that helped a lot."
Did it really take Petra that long to figure out, if she had an English speaking person on her team, she would learn English better, faster and be more comfortable with it?

Bobby adds this quote below:

Quote:
Like other non-native English speakers Kvitova might omit "the" where it's commonly used or insert it where it's not. Often the Czech city where she trains is "the Prostejov." Sometimes Serena Williams is – charmingly and perhaps fittingly – "the Serena."
We have all heard Petra do this, and I'm glad that Bobby notices that Petra's so charming as well.

I find it cute, that Petra's learning idiomatic expressions as well (though if it was me, I'd like them to come more naturally, than to learn it).
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 03:20 PM   #1296
country flag steni

steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.Luv.Kvitty View Post

poor Petra!
steni is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 03:29 PM   #1297
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
But to be quite honest, I would have loved to hear/learn more about Petra's tennis.

I'm starting to wonder if they really have a definitive plan or concerted outlook.
I think they won't make any big changes until after YEC and Fed Cup. They will then sit down and make an assessment of the season and make some definite plans for 2013. On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they're already looking for a fitness coach. He'll be needed during the Nov/Dec fitness camp.
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 03:35 PM   #1298
country flag Petronius

Quote:
I find it cute, that Petra's learning idiomatic expressions as well (though if it was me, I'd like them to come more naturally, than to learn it).
LOL, to be honest learning all English idioms is almost impossible for a non-native speaker. I've been learning English for 20+ years and I sometimes still have to look up expressions like 'chip on one's shoulder' or words like 'cougar' or 'MILF'

Luckily, the Internet is packed with urban dictionaries of various sorts.
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 04:22 PM   #1299
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius View Post
LOL, to be honest learning all English idioms is almost impossible for a non-native speaker. I've been learning English for 20+ years and I sometimes still have to look up expressions like 'chip on one's shoulder' or words like 'cougar' or 'MILF'

Luckily, the Internet is packed with urban dictionaries of various sorts.
It's so true.

You have to learn those things organically, hear them a lot, or look them up-like you did/ask when they come across.
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 04:24 PM   #1300
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
I think they won't make any big changes until after YEC and Fed Cup. They will then sit down and make an assessment of the season and make some definite plans for 2013. On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they're already looking for a fitness coach. He'll be needed during the Nov/Dec fitness camp.
I don't disagree with you. But what are the plans (of course I didn't expect Petra to tell Bobby this) for Petra at the YEC?

I understand she doesn't know who she's going to play yet. But what elements of her game is she going to concentrate and work on, while not knowing who she's playing?
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 04:28 PM   #1301
country flag Petronius

Quote:
I don't disagree with you. But what are the plans (of course I didn't expect Petra to tell Bobby this) for Petra at the YEC?

I understand she doesn't know who she's going to play yet. But what elements of her game is she going to concentrate and work on, while not knowing who she's playing?
If there's any Q&A before YEC, I'll try to ask a few questions. That's the most I can do.
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 04:51 PM   #1302
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's no knock on you. The words you mention have nothing to do with not being a native speaker or - for that matter - with knowing the English language. Many native speakers don't know "cougar" and "MILF" That's pop culture stuff.
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 04:56 PM   #1303
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"Now I am not that nervous when I am in the press conference room."
It would be amusing, but not surprising to me, if her supposed shyness was mostly because of not knowing English well.
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 05:02 PM   #1304
country flag Petronius

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
That's no knock on you. The words you mention have nothing to do with not being a native speaker or - for that matter - with knowing the English language. Many native speakers don't know "cougar" and "MILF" That's pop culture stuff.
Thanks. Not that native speakers make it always easy for foreign learners though.

I used to play chess through a U.K.-based website and if you won they said 'You have won.', but if you lost they said just 'You lost'. So if someone wanted to learn the difference between present perfect and past simple, this British site would leave them even more confused
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 05:39 PM   #1305
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
It would be amusing, but not surprising to me, if her supposed shyness was mostly because of not knowing English well.
You got it.

She's a chatterbox normally-when speaking Czech. Couple that with the fact, she's been increasingly more charming and magnetic during her press conferences as well.

I wish her tennis play-this year, would have grown as confidently and comfortably as her English seemed to.