Petra Kvitova News and Articles - Page 85 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 24th, 2012, 08:42 PM   #1261
country flag TennisAddict84

TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

another one about her match last night against Lucie:

http://articles.courant.com/2012-08-...new-haven-open

It's so great how realistically aware Petra is of how she's playing, what her weaknesses are, things she can improve on, etc...def one of the qualities I love about her...bodes well for her long term progression/development/maturity as an elite player
TennisAddict84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 24th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #1262
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisAddict84 View Post
for anyone who hasn't seen this interview w/ Petra yet:

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ten...8325--ten.html
Thanks TennisAddict.

You see the last question and answer?

JE: One last question, you've made at least the quarterfinals of every grand slam so far this year. Do you have a goal in mind for the U.S. Open?

PK: I'm not thinking like that. I want to focus on every match I play from the first round on. I don't have any bigger goal than that.

Ouch/Smack!!
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 08:53 PM   #1263
country flag ArcticMoose

ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Thanks for the post The only reason this interview caught your attention TA84 is because of the below Q&As - it is very obvious you also like them young just like Petra & you have got your eye on Adam

JE: Your relationship with Adam Pavlasek caused a stir because he's four years younger than you. Were you surprised by the attention that received when it became public last year? And was that difficult at first?

PK: Yeah, it was tough. In the beginning it wasn't easy for both of us. I know that was a big surprise for the media, but I didn't feel like that. He's the guy meant for me. I was really surprised the media found out about that. Now it's fine, but in the beginning it wasn't easy.

JE: If your friends are anything like mine, they probably give you a hard time for dating someone younger than you. What's the best joke you've heard about that?

PK: I've heard an awful lot of jokes. We've been together almost three years, so I've heard a lot, but I don't remember any specific ones.
ArcticMoose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #1264
country flag GoofyDuck

GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute

"He's the guy meant for me."

good for her I guess

Jelena Jankovic - Vera Zvonareva - Zhang Shuai - Venus Williams - Petra Kvitova - Zheng Jie - Li Na - Serena Williams - Peng Shuai - Hsieh Su-Wei
GoofyDuck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #1265
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyDuck View Post
"He's the guy meant for me."

good for her I guess
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 10:33 PM   #1266
country flag steni

steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of

Quote:

Thanks for sharing!

Awww Petra is in love... I'm wondering if Adam is her first bf?
steni is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2012, 12:28 AM   #1267

TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
Thanks TennisAddict.

You see the last question and answer?

JE: One last question, you've made at least the quarterfinals of every grand slam so far this year. Do you have a goal in mind for the U.S. Open?

PK: I'm not thinking like that. I want to focus on every match I play from the first round on. I don't have any bigger goal than that.

Ouch/Smack!!
she just gave a similar answer on ESPN to Cliff Drysdale
Old Aug 25th, 2012, 12:36 AM   #1268

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticMoose View Post
Thanks for the post The only reason this interview caught your attention TA84 is because of the below Q&As - it is very obvious you also like them young just like Petra & you have got your eye on Adam

JE: Your relationship with Adam Pavlasek caused a stir because he's four years younger than you. Were you surprised by the attention that received when it became public last year? And was that difficult at first?

PK: Yeah, it was tough. In the beginning it wasn't easy for both of us. I know that was a big surprise for the media, but I didn't feel like that. He's the guy meant for me. I was really surprised the media found out about that. Now it's fine, but in the beginning it wasn't easy.

JE: If your friends are anything like mine, they probably give you a hard time for dating someone younger than you. What's the best joke you've heard about that?

PK: I've heard an awful lot of jokes. We've been together almost three years, so I've heard a lot, but I don't remember any specific ones.
that was ONE of the things that caught my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by steni View Post
Thanks for sharing!

lol probs
Old Aug 25th, 2012, 01:17 AM   #1269
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
she just gave a similar answer on ESPN to Cliff Drysdale
Yeah, I saw that.
Old Aug 25th, 2012, 01:50 PM   #1270
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

PETRA KVITOVA: NO LAUGHING MATTER
By Craig Gabriel

Where do you start when writing about Petra Kvitova – her tennis results, her personality or her beaming face after a win? There are so many great attributes about this 22 year-old from the beautiful Czech Republic, but I think we should start with her laugh.

One normally uses the term “infectious” in a negative sense, but with Petra Kvitova it can only be a positive term with regards to her laugh. When she starts you just want to laugh with her; as I said it’s infectious because it is just so delightful. It is like a giggle and her face lights up and you can’t help but like her even more.

You can get two version of her laughing. There is one when she half covers her mouth and tilts her head with an element of shyness and then there is the one when she sort of tosses back those beautiful golden locks of hers and enjoys herself.

Petra Kvitova is an absolute joy. In all my years following the tennis tour, and there have been many, only three other Grand Slam winners have had that effect – Stefan Edberg, Pat Rafter and Kim Clijsters.

The left-hander is a phenomenal player and the second half of the 2011 tennis season made that abundantly clear. When Wimbledon began, not too many would have placed her among the tournament favorites even though she had reached the semi-finals the year before. However, playing the perfect match against the favorite Maria Sharapova in the final, Petra became the first Czech to claim the coveted crown since Jana Novotna in 1998 and the first left-handed woman to do so since Czech born Martina Navratilova in 1990.

In the immediate aftermath of that glorious win, Petra went through a let-down phase. It is not something uncommon when you are not used to winning a Grand Slam title. It happened to Li Na after she won the French Open last year and same with Samantha Stosur after she claimed the US Open in 2011.

However, Petra shook herself out of it a bit quicker than the others. She won the title in Linz, Austria and then closed out the regular season by capturing the coveted year-end crown, the WTA Championships in Istanbul in her first appearance at the event.

After she defeated Victoria Azarenka for the title in Istanbul she was asked: “Now, maybe, can you say that you’re the player of the year?”

“I'm playing Fed Cup, so maybe after,” she said laughing, optimizing the blonde-locks-being-tossed-back option.

A week later in chilly Moscow she was leading the Czech Republic to victory against the home team in the final of the Fed Cup – the biggest annual team competition for women. The Czechs had not won that event since 1988. Petra had also taken her world ranking up to No. 2. It was a season to remember.

Fast forward to 2012. In January she was only a couple of wins away from being ranked World No. 1, but after the Australian Open she began to have a few injury woes, in particular with her shoulder Because of that, she was unfortunately robbed of a few opportunities. But Kvitova wasn’t going to allow that to keep her down and she worked her way through her issues, and just couple weeks ago captured a title at Montreal.

Overall, what really shines through Petra is how grounded she is. She makes no excuses. Despite the fact that she suffers from asthma, she would never cite that as a reason for a loss.

She understands that with the wins come losses. One of the people who can take credit for that sort of attitude is her coach David Kotzya, who removes her from the tennis sites and helps her to appreciate things around her like museums and art galleries. t is all part of the learning and developmental process to create a high-profile athlete with a human touch and someone who truly appreciates the gifts that have been bestowed upon her.

-------
Whew. The writer's got it bad . .real bad. Nothing new in the article but still I like the point about Kotzya
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 12:41 AM   #1271
country flag ArcticMoose

ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold

KVITOVA TAKES NEW HAVEN; SECOND TITLE IN THREE WEEKS

ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- Petra Kvitova beat Maria Kirilenko 7-6 (9), 7-5 on Saturday to win the New Haven Open, the Czech star's second WTA tournament title in three weeks.

The second-seeded Kvitova trailed 5-2 in the second set before reeling off five consecutive games for the victory that avenged a loss to the Russian in the Olympic quarterfinals.

The fifth-ranked player in the world has won 12 of her last 13 hardcourt matches this season heading into the U.S. Open. She clinched the U.S. Open series championship this week after winning her first title of the year in Montreal and reaching the semifinals in Cincinnati.

"It's unbelievable," she said. "I mean, play three tournaments in a row and win two. It's great for me. I hope it will continue in the US Open."

The series championship, based on points earned in five U.S. hard-court tournaments this summer, makes Kvitova eligible for a bonus of up to $1 million depending on her finish in the U.S. Open.

Kvitova didn't lose a set the entire week, but had to battle in both on Saturday.

The first set, which lasted an hour and eight minutes, had six service breaks, and went to the tiebreaker when Kvitova failed to serve out the match after breaking Kirilenko to go up 6-5.

Kvitova got a mini-break on the first point and was up 5-2, but again had a hard time putting Kirilenko away. The Russian fought off two set points at 6-4, and was serving for the set at 8-7.

But Kvitova won that mini-break and went on to win the tiebreaker 11-9 when Kirilenko put a return into the net.

"It was a difficult first set," Kirilenko said. "We were both getting tired. I felt it. I think she felt it as well. We were a little bit run down."

Kirilenko seemed to find some energy early in the second set with her boyfriend, NHL star Alex Ovechkin of the Washington Capitals cheering from the player's box. She went up two service breaks and was serving at 5-2 to tie the match.

But there was no quit in Kvitova. She fought off a set point to win that game, held serve twice and broke Kirilenko at love twice, cupping her hand to her mouth as Kirilenko's final serve went long.

"I just played, not thinking about the shots, about the tactics, just put the ball into the court," she said. "Then it was 7-5. Surprise."

Kirilenko, the seventh seed, was the fresher of the two coming into the match. She had played just two full matches and five sets to get to the final. Her second round opponent withdrew with a stomach ailment, and four-time defending champion Caroline Wozniacki retired from their semifinal match with a knee injury after one set.

Kvitova easily beat NCAA champion Nicole Gibbs (6-2, 6-4), Lucie Safarova (6-3, 6-3) and Italy's Sara Errani (6-1, 6-3) on her run to the final.

The seventh-seeded Kirilenko was coming off an Olympics in which she won a bronze medal in doubles and advanced to the semifinals in the singles after beating Kvitova 7-6 (3), 6-3.

"Even though I lost today, I still feel positive," she said. "I played really well this week. I played good match today. Unfortunately, I was unlucky. But I have couple days to recover because I know that I'm playing Tuesday. So two days, it's good for me to have rest."
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 05:10 PM   #1272
country flag Embittered

Embittered has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by steni View Post
Thanks for sharing!

BikezAreForever! said not: http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....&postcount=149
Embittered is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 08:07 PM   #1273
country flag ArcticMoose

Kvitova Primed For Breakthrough In NYC

August 27, 2012

NEW YORK, NY, USA - If she wasn't among the favorites for the US Open a few weeks ago, she definitely is now - World No.5 Petra Kvitova took the Emirates Airline US Open Series by storm over the last three weeks, conquering two of the three Premier-level legs and making the semifinals of the other.

After winning the Rogers Cup in Montréal and reaching the semifinals of the Western & Southern Open in Cincinnati (losing to Angelique Kerber 6-4 in the third set), Kvitova headed to the New Haven Open at Yale in New Haven and, by virtue of her quarterfinal victory over Lucie Safarova, clinched the Emirates Airline US Open Series. She also went on to win that title, too.

"I'm so excited to be the Emirates Airline US Open Series champion," Kvitova said. "It's something very special for me because I never had great results in North America and now I'm the US Open Series champion! I hope all the matches I've had in the build-up can help me in the US Open these two weeks.

"I play Polona Hercog in the first round. I've never played her before, and first round matches at Grand Slams are always dangerous too."

Kvitova joins a very impressive roster of US Open Series champions - Lindsay Davenport, Kim Clijsters, Ana Ivanovic, Maria Sharapova, Dinara Safina, Elena Dementieva, Caroline Wozniacki and Serena Williams. But the summer hardcourt season hasn't always been her most successful stretch.

"I never played well on US hardcourts before with the weather here - it's tough for me to breathe normally because I have asthma. But this year the humidity has been less, so maybe I've been lucky. Plus I have a new inhaler, which helps.

"I had a tough time during the grass court season when I was the defending champion at Wimbledon, and I knew I would have nothing to defend in this part of the year, so I could just enjoy my tennis, relax and try to have fun."

Despite her incredible lead-up results, the humble Kvitova doesn't name herself as a favorite for the title. "I think we have more than one favorite - I can't pick only one name," she said. "Serena is playing very well again, Maria also, and Vika and Aga are always big fighters. It's going to be a tough tournament."

See below for a picture of the outfit Kvitova will wear at the Open.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 10:53 PM   #1274
country flag Rest Maria!

Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute

That's one of the worst photoshpo jobs I've ever seen Even ignoring what they did to her face, Petra is not built like that.
Rest Maria! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 03:56 PM   #1275
country flag ArcticMoose

In a 'New York Minute' with... Li Na

By Matt Fitzgerald
Monday, August 27, 2012
Ninth seed Li Na won her first match in three years at the US Open on Monday when she dismissed Great Britain’s Heather Watson 6-2, 6-3

Her colorful, unpredictable personality has taken the tennis world by storm in recent seasons and in turn, has enabled her to become one of the world’s highest paid female athletes.

As part of usopen.org’s ‘In A New York Minute’ Q&A series, Li reveals the player she’d trust most to get her around on the subway, who’d make the best talk show host and more.

Which tennis player…

Would make the funniest sightseeing bus tour guide?
Francesca Schiavone.

Is most likely to shop until they drop on 5th Avenue?
Every WTA player I think.

Could have a second calling in performing arts?
Andrea Petkovic.

Do you trust most to get you around the city on the subway?
Daniela Hantuchova.

Would be the best talk show host?
Schiavone again.

Are you most likely to find reading in the New York Public Library?
There are so many players. Like today, during the rain delay, everyone had a book.

Would be most interested in visiting the city’s museums?
Marion Bartoli.

Is next to enter the candy advertising business after Federer and Sharapova?
Rafa maybe?

Would spend the entire day in Central Park?
Sam Stosur.

Would you buy a hot dog from on the street?
Petra Kvitova.
Follow USOpen.org's Matt Fitzgerald on Twitter: @tennisfitz