Petra Kvitova News and Articles - Page 79 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 01:13 AM   #1171
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius View Post
I don't follow Tennis Channel so feel free to share here anything interesting that's said or aired.
As for the footwork, we'll see.
No problem. And I already have before.

For example, when Martina made the comments about Petra not reaching out to her recently, she made those comments, live on the air on Tennis Channel, when asked at the French Open.

As far as Martina's coverage of Petra's, it's quite interesting. First of all, she picked Petra to win the SW19 last year, on Tennis Channel (when Lindsay Davenport admitted on the air, she hadn't even seen Petra play), in case you didn't know. And she was also confident enough to pick Petra to win the French Open last year to. But she had an even bigger focus on the upcoming Wimbledon, after Petra lost to Li Na.

My problem with Martina THIS YEAR was, during the French Open, she'd criticize Petra to high heaven, making sweeping statements, as if she hadn't followed Petra since last year, and wasn't familiar with Petra's injuries, sickness, lack of play, etc., from January till Miami-and Petra's overall game when she plays well. It was akin to a drunken rage of a parent about their child, though she didn't really mean any harm.

Now of course, when asked by one of her colleagues on the same broadcast/match, "who'll be better between Sharapova and Vika", Martina promptly responded "Oh, Kvitova, cause she can volley and has more firepower and variety than the other two".

Go Figure! Translation; I think she really wants Petra to play better and live up to her potential, and she thinks she can help/assist. And why not!?

We know, as you mentioned, great players don't always make good coaches. But I don't think Martina is campaigning for that. She just wants to be able to assist, chat/catch up with, and be a good, positive influence with the young, developing Kvitova; she of the humongous young, left handed tennis game.

And why not?
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 05:09 AM   #1172
country flag steni

steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
You're right.

It was decent and fine earlier in the season.

Petra didn't lose those matches to Sharapova and Li Na in Australia, and McHale and Venus Williams in North America due to her footwork. Agreed. It was good, and certainly not glaringly noticeable.

Petra lost those matches obviously for/from her return of serve (Maria), loss of her serve/brain fart (Li Na), and illness-vs Mchale and Venus Williams. Makarova, was another brain fart/lack of confidence and competitiveness ATM.

Her footwork was poorer during the clay court season (especially when she had to move/slide wide against Pova), especially compared to last year. But I also feel, that had to do with her overall weaker game this year as well, cause Petra is/http://imgsrv2.tennisuniverse.com/wtaworld/images2007/editor/menupop.gifwas always comfortable on the clay, even though she doesn't slide. As stated previously, when you lack confidence, timing, anticipation/distinctiveness or aggression, the first thing that breaks down is your footwork.
I just don't understand why she should be struggling with confidence? Cause her form is bad? Cause she hasn't win a title? Cause the AO semi?
steni is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 08:44 AM   #1173
country flag Raiden

Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
In the last 60 years, the country has produced eight Grand Slam singles champions in Navratilova, Kvitova, Novotna, Hana Mandlikova, Jaroslav Drobny, Jan Kodes, Ivan Lendl and Petr Korda
Always gets me how few foreign journalists know that Martina Hingis is also originally from CZ and that she even was a Czech citizen and played for six years for the very same club as Petra.
Well you Czechs could do something abut that if you want - do what the Britsh do which is, once they suddenly discovered that Petra was the about to win their Wimbledon, they started dragging Navratilova along to wherever Petra goes (I'm pretty sure no one asked Petra anything about Navra in 2010 when she was making her SF run cuz Serena was still the full favorite then).

You Czech media goons could play the same game and drag Hingis along to whenever Petra goes and is one of the favorites to win a tournament
Raiden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 09:22 AM   #1174
country flag Raiden

Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My problem with Martina THIS YEAR was, during the French Open, she'd criticize Petra to high heaven, making sweeping statements, as if she hadn't followed Petra since last year

(...)

Martina made the comments about Petra not reaching out to her recently...
Did she also demand that Kvitova pay her in cash or certified cheque for being an alleged "inspiration"?

Last edited by Raiden : Jun 23rd, 2012 at 09:29 AM.
Raiden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 09:25 AM   #1175
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droog View Post
Well you Czechs could do something abut that if you want - do what the Britsh do which is, once they suddenly discovered that Petra was the about to win their Wimbledon, they started dragging Navratilova along to wherever Petra goes (I'm pretty sure no one asked Petra anything about Navra in 2010 when she was making her SF run cuz Serena was still the full favorite then).

You Czech media goons could play the same game and drag Hingis along to whenever Petra goes and is one of the favorites to win a tournament
The two Martinas and Novotna, who hold a combined total of 11 Venus Rosewater Dishes, meet often for legend doubles tourneys so I have no doubt they sometimes meet for a coffee after the match and discuss what can be improved in Petra's game
Petronius is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 06:15 PM   #1176
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droog View Post

The irony to your post is, "Hingis really likes Petra's overall game as well", and has spoken very highly about it and Petra; in England at that. But of course no one knows this, cause Petra never called Hingis her idol, and Hingis hasn't left the impression at Wimby that Navratilova has, so no one mentions it in England, etc., or cares. Remember, only one meme/story at a time for our Media.
Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 07:29 PM   #1177
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steni View Post
I just don't understand why she should be struggling with confidence? Cause her form is bad? Cause she hasn't win a title? Cause the AO semi?
Good question.

The Makarova match was a really a weird one.

I guess Petra lost confidence in that match, cause she blew that 4-2, 30-0 lead she had in the first set, then let Makarova back in the game before Petra was comfortable on the grass, while Makarava was/had already played a tournament before.

I think Petra knows when she has her weapons, even if she loses them for a while, she knows she'll come back, thus maintaining her confidence.

It appeared she knew she messed up (blew the first set, and was up in most of the starts of Makarova's service games in the 2nd set) and was in a fight when she let Makarova back in the game-lacking her weapons (no serve, return or forehand), and just panicked, and didn't handle it well.

The irony is, Makarova wasn't even playing that great. Petra just had to hang in there, and settle down some. And of course--as if on cue, Makarova promptly got spanked by Kerber in the 3rd rd 6-2, 6-4 (who subsequently lost to Pashek), to further illustrate Petra's troubles and opportunity against Makarova. She had a great opportunity in this tournament.

Hopefully, she'll start to get her serve, return, and forehand back, along with her mental approach, during practices and her early first rd matches.

Back to confidence. I know it's harder to do than say. But it's real simple. Petra just has to treat each new tournament like the previous one never happened, and just be totally hyped about the current/upcoming event. Just forget the year your having, and focus anew. If she does that she could/should win a few, including Wimby and/or the Olympics. As usual; we'll see?
Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 08:26 PM   #1178
country flag paulmara

paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute

Martina Navratilova and Petra Kvotiva share their experiences of winning the Ladies' title with CNN's Open Court.
http://edition.cnn.com/video/?/video...-champions.cnn

Something for Bruce
Caroline and Petra practiced yesterday
http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/201...-blondes-time/
paulmara is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 08:52 PM   #1179
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Big interview with Petra in the Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012...-petra-kvitova
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 10:08 PM   #1180
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffedmax View Post
Big interview with Petra in the Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012...-petra-kvitova
It's been already posted, but thanks anyway. I thought you're not a fan

Last edited by Petronius : Jun 23rd, 2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 11:13 PM   #1181
country flag Petronius

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmara View Post
Martina Navratilova and Petra Kvotiva share their experiences of winning the Ladies' title with CNN's Open Court.
That's the video we've been waiting for, thanks. There's actually another related video on the CNN website. It seems they chopped the footage into several pieces.
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 04:10 AM   #1182
country flag steni

steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future

Quote:
Good question.

The Makarova match was a really a weird one.

I guess Petra lost confidence in that match, cause she blew that 4-2, 30-0 lead she had in the first set, then let Makarova back in the game before Petra was comfortable on the grass, while Makarava was/had already played a tournament before.

I think Petra knows when she has her weapons, even if she loses them for a while, she knows she'll come back, thus maintaining her confidence.

It appeared she knew she messed up (blew the first set, and was up in most of the starts of Makarova's service games in the 2nd set) and was in a fight when she let Makarova back in the game-lacking her weapons (no serve, return or forehand), and just panicked, and didn't handle it well.

The irony is, Makarova wasn't even playing that great. Petra just had to hang in there, and settle down some. And of course--as if on cue, Makarova promptly got spanked by Kerber in the 3rd rd 6-2, 6-4 (who subsequently lost to Pashek), to further illustrate Petra's troubles and opportunity against Makarova. She had a great opportunity in this tournament.

Hopefully, she'll start to get her serve, return, and forehand back, along with her mental approach, during practices and her early first rd matches.

Back to confidence. I know it's harder to do than say. But it's real simple. Petra just has to treat each new tournament like the previous one never happened, and just be totally hyped about the current/upcoming event. Just forget the year your having, and focus anew. If she does that she could/should win a few, including Wimby and/or the Olympics. As usual; we'll see?
I think Petra just didn't give a f*, she knows she can win playing ugly, we had seen it before... I think the match would be different if they were at Wimbledon, where I believe Petra would kick Makarova's ass!

Do you think Petra hates to play against pushers or counter punchers?
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 04:18 AM   #1183
country flag steni

[quote=paulmara;21693307]Martina Navratilova and Petra Kvotiva share their experiences of winning the Ladies' title with CNN's Open Court.

Thank you for posting!

Old Jun 24th, 2012, 01:19 PM   #1184
country flag ArcticMoose

ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of

Quote:
It's been already posted, but thanks anyway. I thought you're not a fan
Heaps of SS Dementieva Crew now on board the Kvityy Express! - Kvitty has alot of qualities that Dementieva had so she's been a natural magnet to the SS Dementieva Crew
ArcticMoose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 01:20 PM   #1185
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steni View Post
I think Petra just didn't give a f*, she knows she can win playing ugly, we had seen it before... I think the match would be different if they were at Wimbledon, where I believe Petra would kick Makarova's ass!

Do you think Petra hates to play against pushers or counter punchers?
I think she used to. But she's played quite well against them lately.

Now, if you're asking me, would Petra rather have another ball basher, aggressive player, shotmaker, playing against her, that can chip in some errors as well, when Petra's trying to find her game; sure she would!