Petra Kvitova News and Articles - Page 78 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 21st, 2012, 04:36 PM   #1156
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by steni View Post
I agree. Thats why I like her very much. You can see the kind of person she is on and off the court. She doesn't hide behind PR talking, she is natural and herself. And I hate very much when people make fun of her belly... or like someone in GM said that she is gonna be a disaster in Alexander McQueen... I meant Petra is so loveable!
That person was obviously a pressed, absent minded or misguided hater, cause Petra (by all accounts) looked great at last years Wimbledon ball, and usually cleans up very well. So you really can't take credence in what a lot of people say, especially from comments on the Internet.
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 21st, 2012, 06:05 PM   #1157
country flag TennisAddict84

TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
Old news (the secret advice part). And yes, Petra did mention what the advice was, if not all of it previously. I don't remember at the moment.

But I guess we'll hear a lot of these before/during the tournament.

Yeah, Petra talked about this/that last year. The problem is, despite Martina's encouragement since and up until the present, Petra won't talk to Martina (probably until the next time she sees her again at Wimby).

Petra hasn't figured out yet, that she can actually talk to Martina about life, tennis, her mental aspect/approach, and general advice during the tennis season. It doesn't have to be outright training, game preparation, like she's Kvitty's coach (though I'm sure, Martina could even be an official member of Team Petra in some capacity, but Petra's probably to polite, uninterested at the moment, and structured to even hint to such a possibility).

The irony of the article of course is, if the advice helped so much then, why wouldn't you call Martina more often now, and during and in preparation for majors (which would seem like an appropriate time for Petra to call, text or e-mail her)? Navratilova says Petra hasn't, despite her inducements.

Martina wants to be like Petra's big sister/mentor (which I am ALL FOR myself). And she's basically been soliciting Petra the past year (with class of course) to help life coach her, give advice/tips, insight, anything it seems.

Despite Petra's reluctance to respond so far, I hope Martina doesn't give up asking or throwing out feelers to Petra, and keeps reaching out to her.

When is Kvitty going to realize, that she's a top player/a somebody to, and stop acting like some dumb hick, thats just happy to be there. Contact the women sometimes Petra!!!
This. Petra, just call the woman already! lol

Hell, I think if Petra had reached out to Martina during FO, her outcome prob would've turned out differently at that tournament.
TennisAddict84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 11:56 PM   #1158
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisAddict84 View Post
This. Petra, just call the woman already! lol

Hell, I think if Petra had reached out to Martina during FO, her outcome prob would've turned out differently at that tournament.
You're absolutely right. I agree.

Many times when Petra has won great matches when losing, or after bad periods, she's turned it around (like losing to Kutznetsova at Fed cup in the third set, and Peter Pala told her "it's only one break", and Petra roared back to win six games in a row, the set and match). So I agree with you. Good words and confidence (especially from someone like Martina), before and after a match, could certainly give Petra confidence, calm her down, and/or give her better perspective.

Plus, if someone like Martina (who's a legend Petra doesn't see and talk to everyday like her coach), tells her "You can win this, you are the best player here", it holds an entirely different cachet and effect, than when her coach says it.

Agreed.
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 04:11 AM   #1159
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

You guys make some good points above,but don't forget that great players rarely make effective coaches(supposedly because most other players aren't as driven as the legends are...and the HOFers often have little patience for that),so maybe a more specialized role would work better in this case

Semi-retired tennis fan praying for a Culture of Accountability from the Pathetic Enabler, the WTA

Soccer=the RCC and Islam in terms of brainwashed,mindless fanatics who'll kill and maim for their stupid religion
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 01:53 PM   #1160
country flag pling

pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future

Article from the Independent

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/t...a-7873493.html

Quote:
Mission impossible for Petra Kvitova to emulate her Czech mate Martina Navratilova

Wimbledon champion Kvitova can only dream of matching her hero's nine crowns

by Paul Newman, Friday 22 June 2012

They are from the same central European country, which has a population of just 10.5 million. They both play left-handed, both have an aggressive game and both won their first Grand Slam singles titles at Wimbledon at the age of 21. Although they were born 34 years apart, in hugely contrasting eras, you sense that Martina Navratilova and Petra Kvitova share a bond that can only grow stronger.

Kvitova, who was born in Bilovec in 1990, the year after the "Velvet Revolution" ended four decades of Communist rule in her country, made her breakthrough at the All England Club last summer, winning her first Grand Slam final. Now all she has to do to emulate Navratilova is go out and do it again 58 more times. Navratilova, who was born in Prague in 1956 and sought political asylum in the United States 19 years later, has a record that defies belief. Her 59 Grand Slam titles comprised 18 in singles, including a record nine at Wimbledon, 31 in women's doubles and 10 in mixed doubles. She secured the last of them, the US Open mixed doubles crown, in her final match just one month short of her 50th birthday.

"I have a really long way to go," Kvitova said with a smile when asked about following Navratilova. "When I was growing up, she was my idol. Actually, my father was a really big fan and he showed me her videos when she played at Wimbledon. When I started playing she was still playing mixed and doubles, so that's how I know her."

There is a sense of awe in Kvitova's voice when she speaks about Navratilova, who in turn talks in admiring tones of the first time she saw Kvitova play, having been alerted to her talent by yet another Czech Wimbledon champion. "Jana Novotna was telling me about her," Navratilova recalled. "Then I saw her and I thought: 'God, if this girl gets it together, there's going to be trouble'."

At the start of last year, Kvitova was the world No 34 and had only ever won one tournament on the main tour, but after securing a title in the first week of the season she enjoyed a wonderful year. Five more titles followed, including Wimbledon and the WTA Championships, and she rounded off the year by leading the Czechs to their first Fed Cup title as an independent nation.

The only blip came between Wimbledon and the end of the US Open, where Kvitova lost in the first round, having won only two matches in the preceding two months as she struggled briefly to come to terms with her achievement. "It wasn't very easy getting used to being famous," she said. "Everybody stared at me in the supermarket and on the street. I think my life changed, for sure."

Kvitova still lives in her flat in Prostojev but has a new car. "I had a Skoda, but after Wimbledon I changed to BMW," she said. Does she like driving fast? "Unfortunately, yes." Has she collected any speeding tickets? "No, not yet. I'm a good girl."

Other than the new car (provided by a sponsor), Kvitova said she had not treated herself to a reward for winning Wimbledon. "I know I have money, but it's in the bank and for me, for now, it's only numbers," she said.

Although she has not won a title this year, Kvitova has continued to demonstrate her appetite for the big occasion by reaching the semi-finals of the year's first two Grand Slam tournaments, losing on both occasions to Maria Sharapova, whom she beat in the Wimbledon final.

Kvitova's game, based on big, attacking groundstrokes, is particularly effective on grass. Did Navratilova think Kvitova might one day threaten her Wimbledon record? "Well, she got started the same time I did with the first one and you never know," Navratilova said.

"These days it's hard to stay healthy long enough because the game is so much more physical, but the way she plays, if anybody could do it, it could be her because she plays such a powerful game. The points are short, so she doesn't have to exert herself that much. But let her win the second one, then we can talk more about it. It was a great effort and she wants it badly. That's a step in the right direction."

Kvitova admitted that arriving at Wimbledon this year as champion would be very different to how she felt 12 months ago. "I know there will be pressure, that I can't lose in the first round because it's a lot of ranking points and a lot of people are coming to watch me," she said. "I know how it will be, but I won't be thinking about whether I can do it again. I'll just go step by step."

Navratilova said that Kvitova's 6ft frame and power were an advantage, but added: "She just needs to get a little lighter on her feet. It's so easy to think: 'I can just power through this.' Four out of five times you can, but the fifth time it's going to go out. On clay that doesn't win and in the wind that doesn't win. When things go your way, great, but when they don't that's when perfect technique and perfect footwork come in handy.

"I learnt new footwork when I was 32, with the cross-step to the outside, so you can retool or improve. Petra doesn't need to retool, but she can definitely improve. She's 22. I was clueless at that age, so she's way ahead of me on that one." Had Kvitova modelled her game on Navratilova's? "That's a question for my father because he was my coach until I was 16," she said. "I think I was born with this aggressive game inside me. I got my calmness from my Mum."

For a country of modest resources, the Czech Republic has an astonishing tennis pedigree. In the last 60 years, the country has produced eight Grand Slam singles champions in Navratilova, Kvitova, Novotna, Hana Mandlikova, Jaroslav Drobny, Jan Kodes, Ivan Lendl and Petr Korda.

"The club system there produces really good players," Navratilova said. "You have it in France also. You don't see it in the States, you don't see it in England. In other countries you go to the club, hang out and play sports. Kids become much better all-round athletes, they're active, they're healthy and they're doing it for fun."

Kvitova believes that Czech parents instil a strong work ethic in their children, while Navratilova stressed the quality of Czech coaching. Kvitova works with David Kotyza, although Navratilova said she would always be happy to give some advice, as she did before last year's Wimbledon final.

"She told me I have to not think it's the Wimbledon final, that it's a normal match, and that I can do it," Kvitova said. "When I went on court I was really lucky because it just felt like a first-round match or something."

Does Kvitova call Navratilova for advice at other times? "No," Navratilova said. "She's probably too shy for that. I'm sure she will as the years go by."
pling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 01:56 PM   #1161
country flag pling

pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future pling has a brilliant future

And one from the Guardian too:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012...?newsfeed=true

Quote:
Wimbledon 2012: The day my father cried and cried – by Petra Kvitova

The reigning Wimbledon women's champion tells the personal story behind her rise to a first grand slam victory

Donald McRae
guardian.co.uk, Friday 22 June 2012 13.58 BST

"After I won Wimbledon last year you saw how my father was crying," Petra Kvitova says, her eyes widening at the memory of a deeply personal moment. Throughout last year's final against Maria Sharapova, Kvitova's father, Jiri, was a man consumed. Whenever she won a crucial point he shuddered with delight while a heavily mulleted family friend bellowed like an old seal as he exchanged double high-fives with her two older brothers. There were times when Jiri looked as if he might catch fire amid such searing passion

"He was a little crazy," Kvitova says, laughing, "and for me it was a little funny. The tears were the most funny. Normally, when I was a kid, he showed no emotion. And now he was crying …"

Kvitova pauses and then, with comic timing, says coolly, "A lot! He was crying on court. He was crying for an hour after the match was over. When I have a good result, now, he is like that. But he wasn't always the same."

Wimbledon begins on Monday and Kvitova's defence of her title, especially against Sharapova, the new world No1 and French Open champion, will test a belief that the 22-year-old Czech will eventually emerge as a dominant force. It is striking that Martina Navratilova, born in Czechoslovakia and Kvitova's inspiration, insists that the young woman from the small town of Fulnek will become a great of the women's game.

Yet, before she relives her emotional visit to Wimbledon with Navratilova, Kvitova offers an illuminating account of her relationship with her father and their stark past. "I will always be the little sister," she says, "because my one brother is 36 this year and the other is 33. My father was their coach and they tried to play well, but it was hard because my family did not have much money. We didn't have a car so they had to travel by train – and it wasn't really possible for them to think of a nice future in tennis.

"I practised with my father until I was 16 in Fulnek. Sometimes it was tough. I couldn't go out with my friends because I had to practise. He knew what young kids do. In Fulnek there is nothing there. We have four tennis courts, a castle and a sports centre. I played volleyball until I was 11, but my friends were just walking through the streets, maybe smoking a cigarette. He was a teacher, and so he was maybe afraid about this.

"It was a really hard time for me when I was 15 or 16. With my father I didn't have a very good relationship because of tennis. When we were at home we were still talking about the tennis and it was too much. It wasn't much good for us. And I didn't want to continue with the tennis."

Was she simply fed up with her father controlling her life? "It was hard but I'm not really a party person. So for me it was OK and I did get out sometimes with my friends. Just never in the week because I didn't have time. But we were maybe too close with the tennis, me and my father. He didn't make the lives of my brothers and me very easy. He pushed us very hard but that's why I am where I am now."

How is her current relationship with her dad? "Good," Kvitova says. "For my parents a lot has changed. They have three children with their own lives and they now have more money so they can relax and not be afraid. So for them it's a much easier life. I know how proud and relaxed they are. Two years ago they were still worried, asking what's happening, how are you? So it gives me pleasure to make them happy.

"But my dad has big passion. For the Federation Cup [when the Czech Republic defeated Italy 4-1 in May in Ostrava] he ordered 140 tickets. It was a great atmosphere and lots of people came to watch me from Fulnek. I was nervous; but I was happy how it turned out."

In contrast to her combustible father, Kvitova's mother is "much more calm. I have taken that from her. I have that same calm inside me".

That serene assurance has often distinguished her play on grass. "The first time I played on grass, at Roehampton, I won a junior tournament. It was terrible. It was raining all the time but I stayed calm. There was so much rain that, when we started playing at last, we had sets of four games. The scores would be like 4-3, 4-1.

"I stayed at the university [campus] and there was just one bed in a small room. It was not so good." Kvitova laughs at the memory. "And then, at my first two [senior] Wimbledons, I didn't get good results. But then, in 2010, everything changed."

She made her breakthrough at Wimbledon when, ranked outside the top 30, Kvitova surprisingly reached the semi-finals. She lost in straight sets to Serena Williams; but Kvitova was galvanised. "I was young and didn't have much experience. I just went there to enjoy it and after that semi-final I knew I could do well at Wimbledon. It is my favourite tournament and I had confidence then.

"Last year the whole tournament went well. In the semis I played [Victoria] Azarenka and I had just beaten her in Madrid. I was nervous before the match but I was fine on the court. I was feeling the shots and I was calm. I think she played very well but I did better in the third set. And then the final …"

Kvitova looks thoughtful as she recalls her emotions before that momentous event. "The night before Sharapova I was OK. I slept well and I was thinking how it will be and what I needed to do. But it was strange just before the match. We had to wait alone. It was terrible. I was too nervous. But once I was on court I was OK. I looked calm. On the inside I was calm. Even on match point I was calm."

She shrugs in amusement. "Maybe because I had three match points I could stay calm. I won the first one."

How did she celebrate? "I went to our house where we were staying in Southfields. We had champagne but I didn't drink a lot. I had one glass. I was so tired. So I had to go to bed but I couldn't sleep so well. Everything was going round in my mind but they were happy thoughts. It was my first grand slam, and it was Wimbledon. Everyone wants to win Wimbledon."

Surprisingly, Kvitova lost this week in the first round at Eastbourne. But, as the world No4 and reigning champion, she expects to mount a formidable defence of her Wimbledon title. "For sure, Sharapova [who defeated Kvitova in the semi-finals of the Australian and French Opens this year] is hard to beat. The Williams sisters are also tough on grass. Anyone in the top 10 has a chance but I think I will be OK."

She smiles sweetly and soon moves on to describe her visit to Wimbledon with Navratilova in the chilled heart of an English winter. "It was very special, just me and Martina. As we walk around we speak in Czech. She told me very nice stories about her experiences – and she had a lot because she won nine [singles] titles there. She was my idol when I was growing up. I loved her because she was also a leftie. Not many leftie women have won Wimbledon. So we walked around Wimbledon and it was empty. It was strange no one was there and no nets were on the courts. But on the board was my score against Sharapova. Then Martina led me to the honours board. I looked up. My name is there once. Martina's name is there nine times."

How did she feel when Navratilova picked her out as the next supreme champion in women's tennis? "It was very good. She is very nice to me. I hope I can do what she says as she is a big fan of me and it is great to have her support. But, still, it is only words. I came close to being No1 earlier this year but Sharapova is playing very well now. It's a nice position for her to be No1 but it's a small goal. For me it's much better to win a grand slam. And there is a lot of work before I do that again."

Kvitova is also working hard on her fast-improving English. "I'm not nervous talking English now," she says with a grin. "After Wimbledon I had a lot of media so I started to speak more. And now Katie [Spellman, her new media manager] has brought me some books."

Later, Kvitova and Spellman, who is English, chat amiably about the books the young Czech is reading. "She didn't want to read Twilight or any of the vampire stuff," Spellman says. "Petra wanted me to find something slightly more romantic as she's a really girly girl. So I've gone for the traditional route and bought her books like The Wind in the Willows and The Secret Garden." "I will tell you how I get on," Kvitova says intently.

It seems a long way from Fulnek; yet Kvitova's fame in her own country is gathering momentum. "Sometimes it feels hard. I go home and at the shops people are looking at me – they know who I am. I'm not saying it's horrible but it is strange. Life has changed and you can't do anything."

Has her old tennis club in Fulnek also changed? "No!" she exclaims. "I've heard from my brother that some children are playing because he is the coach at the club but Fulnek is a small town with 6,000 people. It's not a lot – but they like to play tennis. And since my good results they start to play more."

Eight out of the top 100 women in the world are Czech, compared to one from Britain, and Kvitova seems unsurprised. "We have something inside that makes us want to be better. It makes us work harder. Maybe it's because our parents had a harsh life before us. I know my own father was tough but he helped me a lot. And now it feels good that he can cry with happiness. It is strange – but good."
pling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 03:08 PM   #1162
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Now all she has to do to emulate Navratilova is go out and do it again 58 more times

Quote:
She just needs to get a little lighter on her feet. When things go your way, great, but when they don't that's when perfect technique and perfect footwork come in handy.
I wonder what Excelscior says ?

Quote:
In the last 60 years, the country has produced eight Grand Slam singles champions in Navratilova, Kvitova, Novotna, Hana Mandlikova, Jaroslav Drobny, Jan Kodes, Ivan Lendl and Petr Korda
Always gets me how few foreign journalists know that Martina Hingis is also originally from CZ and that she even was a Czech citizen and played for six years for the very same club as Petra.

Quote:
Navratilova said she would always be happy to give some advice
This is great, hope they'll meet again and talk, especially about that footwork

Great article overall, thanks!

Last edited by Petronius : Jun 22nd, 2012 at 03:27 PM.
Petronius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 05:22 PM   #1163
country flag Excelscior

@Petronius

I didn't read the full article (quite long, and I've read most of that stuff before, plus the reporter seemed to be trying to hard), but if Navratilova made that "footwork" comment (and if I understand thats why you mentioned my name), I'll say two things.

1) I've listened to Martina enough during Petra broadcast (not sure if you get Tennis Channel in Czech Rep), to know many times she mis-characterize Petra's strategy during a season, stretches of it, or even the match she's broadcasting (i.e. she's not always as up on Petra matches, playing style or strategy, and sounds almost like an ESPN reporter talking up old memes and cliches, though she's obviously better, cause she knows Petra's over all tennis game better than they do).

2) When Petra was winning last year, she had excellent footwork. Secondly, as I've said many times, usually when players lose matches or play poorly, their footwork is the first culprit, so that makes Petra no different than any/most other players when not playing well, so that's not terribly surprising.

But that's not the only thing that Petra needs to work on. Her mental approach (confidence, fight, strategy), and serve and return are equally as important, and quite deficient this season at the highest levels (top 10 players or top 10 like performances from her opponents). Hopefully, she can get it together here?

Now if I missed what you were saying Petronius, just let me know. Thanks.
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 06:25 PM   #1164
country flag steni

steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of

Petra's footwork wasnt too bad in the beginning of the season... Or it was?
steni is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 06:32 PM   #1165
country flag steni

steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of

" He didn't make the lives of my brothers and me very easy. He pushed us very hard but that's why I am where I am now."

I was wondering about this for some time. I always though that her father never push Pretra and that's why she couldnt handle the pressure very well sometimes. Im surprised!
steni is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 06:50 PM   #1166
country flag TennisAddict84

TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold

I think at Sydney and AO, it was okay, but IMO she just wasn't hitting the ball that well. I really think Petra's not feeling confident ATM, resulting in her feeling less mentally tough and playing poorly during that Eastbourne loss. And as Excelscior noted, the first thing that goes off the rails is your footwork when you're not playing well.

If Petra can use the first few rounds at Wimbledon to get out the cobwebs and get her game to a place where she feels good about it, then I think she has a good shot at defending. But yea, I was very concerned about her first serve % at Eastbourne. With the serve that she has and the great technique that she possesses, she should not be getting so many first serves into the net. Hopefully, she can work it out.
TennisAddict84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 07:47 PM   #1167
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Petra's footwork wasnt too bad in the beginning of the season... Or it was?
You're right.

It was decent and fine earlier in the season.

Petra didn't lose those matches to Sharapova and Li Na in Australia, and McHale and Venus Williams in North America due to her footwork. Agreed. It was good, and certainly not glaringly noticeable.

Petra lost those matches obviously for/from her return of serve (Maria), loss of her serve/brain fart (Li Na), and illness-vs Mchale and Venus Williams. Makarova, was another brain fart/lack of confidence and competitiveness ATM.

Her footwork was poorer during the clay court season (especially when she had to move/slide wide against Pova), especially compared to last year. But I also feel, that had to do with her overall weaker game this year as well, cause Petra is/was always comfortable on the clay, even though she doesn't slide. As stated previously, when you lack confidence, timing, anticipation/distinctiveness or aggression, the first thing that breaks down is your footwork.
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 08:01 PM   #1168
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
" He didn't make the lives of my brothers and me very easy. He pushed us very hard but that's why I am where I am now."

I was wondering about this for some time. I always though that her father never push Pretra and that's why she couldnt handle the pressure very well sometimes. Im surprised!
I think Petra handling pressure, has to do with her winning and playing well. I will agree, with some other players, it doesn't matter if they're winning or playing well, there going to fight till the dear end. So far this year, Petra hasn't shown that will, against good players when she's playing poorly, and it's obvious it's from a lack of confidence, and not winning at the highest levels (originally started by her injuries, lack of feel, at the beginning of the tennis year, which affected her confidence, which then affected her results, ATM).
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 08:16 PM   #1169
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisAddict84 View Post
I think at Sydney and AO, it was okay, but IMO she just wasn't hitting the ball that well. I really think Petra's not feeling confident ATM, resulting in her feeling less mentally tough and playing poorly during that Eastbourne loss. And as Excelscior noted, the first thing that goes off the rails is your footwork when you're not playing well.

If Petra can use the first few rounds at Wimbledon to get out the cobwebs and get her game to a place where she feels good about it, then I think she has a good shot at defending. But yea, I was very concerned about her first serve % at Eastbourne. With the serve that she has and the great technique that she possesses, she should not be getting so many first serves into the net. Hopefully, she can work it out.
Agreed.

A lot of this has to do with, will Petra get the matches in to feel comfortable and instinctive about her game? And she really should, cause she made a run in 2010, when she was a nobody that was playing poorly.

Now of course, the big difference is, Petra is defending champion and has expectations now, combined with the fact she hasn't played great at the highest levels this year, and will this all play on her mind at Wimby--especially if she has some tough moments or a match, where she'll have to play tough or gut out some points. Which Petra will we see?

Even in Petra's Wimby run in 2010, she saved a bunch of match points against Kanepi, and was just fearless. But some how this year (at least up until this point) you couldn't see Petra doing that, especially against that quality of player, though Kanepi has her own historical closeout issues.

Ultimately (like you said), we'll just have to watch and see, and look for signs regarding Petra's play, confidence and calmness on the court/in the tournament.

Hopefully, it's better than some of us are already thinking. I for one, will simply just watch the matches.
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 11:22 PM   #1170
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
@Petronius

Now if I missed what you were saying Petronius, just let me know. Thanks.
I don't follow Tennis Channel so feel free to share here anything interesting that's said or aired.
As for the footwork, we'll see.
Petronius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote