Petra Kvitova News and Articles - Page 71 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 8th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #1051
country flag cosmoose

cosmoose has a reputation beyond repute cosmoose has a reputation beyond repute cosmoose has a reputation beyond repute cosmoose has a reputation beyond repute cosmoose has a reputation beyond repute cosmoose has a reputation beyond repute cosmoose has a reputation beyond repute cosmoose has a reputation beyond repute cosmoose has a reputation beyond repute cosmoose has a reputation beyond repute cosmoose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac47 View Post
ARad is already mathematically certain to pass Kvitty for #3. Fortunately, there's a rather large gap before #5. Still, if Petra doesn't turn it around soon, down she will go. I'm really worried about Madrid and Wimbledon.
I worry about this too.
But if Petra is back to her normal self, her ranking doesn't matter at all.
She is similar to Serena in that way

oh how I wish I can see KvittyGOAT once again! Smashing pretenders and pushers left and right!

Check out Stefanie Vögele's facebook fanpage!
cosmoose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 8th, 2012, 03:32 PM   #1052
country flag TimeyWimey

TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmoose View Post
I worry about this too.
But if Petra is back to her normal self, her ranking doesn't matter at all.
She is similar to Serena in that way

oh how I wish I can see KvittyGOAT once again! Smashing pretenders and pushers left and right!
Petra really shouldn't care about these, certainly not her priority to level up the ranking, remember she was the Champion of Madrid as world number EIGHTEEN (and who cares whether KvittyGOAT is world no 1 or no 10? why should we care where Radwanska is?)

what if she could kick some ass in the first week of a Grand Slam again (if the maths in the ranking would allow that)

Last edited by TimeyWimey : Apr 8th, 2012 at 03:53 PM.
TimeyWimey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 09:56 PM   #1053
country flag PetraReeMona

PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute

As long as she's winning tournaments and GS's, I don't care where she's ranked
PetraReeMona is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 03:34 AM   #1054
country flag mac47

mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. I want to see beat-downs and hoisted trophies. But I would like to see her reach #1 at some point, especially because she should already have had it if the system didn't penalize players who prioritize Fed Cup. I do think it's an important career accomplishment, even if the slams are more important.

Would love to see her add another Wimbledon against Williams sisters playing well. Or a title at RG.

Isner has been demonstrating lately how first-strike tennis can dominate on clay. Let's hope Petra can do something similar.
“It's not as if everything revolves around me now that I've won Wimbledon for the second time — as if I'll just sit on my ass at home and send someone to do my shopping for me.” — the lovely and humble Petra Kvitová
mac47 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 09:44 AM   #1055
country flag Utterchaos

Utterchaos is a name known to all Utterchaos is a name known to all Utterchaos is a name known to all Utterchaos is a name known to all Utterchaos is a name known to all Utterchaos is a name known to all Utterchaos is a name known to all Utterchaos is a name known to all Utterchaos is a name known to all Utterchaos is a name known to all Utterchaos is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetraNo.1 View Post
I do. #1 place is very important. It shows the player's ability to win all events, not just do well at GS as well as dominate consistently. Take Serena for example. For someone with 13 GS her # of weeks at number one and her number of titles is pathetic. She should be following Federer's example not these lame part timers who only show up to slams...
Utterchaos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #1056
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utterchaos View Post
I do. #1 place is very important. It shows the player's ability to win all events, not just do well at GS as well as dominate consistently. Take Serena for example. For someone with 13 GS her # of weeks at number one and her number of titles is pathetic. She should be following Federer's example not these lame part timers who only show up to slams...
....And this re-states why Graf was better than Serena...which Richard and SW both concede: Even when it became monotonous at times for her to beat opponents down during her dominant stretches,she still had the mental strength and focus to maintain that pace week after week...NOT just in Slams.It might be unfair to ask that much toughness from Petra,but it at least gives her a good model for how she should carry herself as an elite player...especially when she reaches #1

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Opening Soon: The Allaster-Stubbs-Amanmuradova Academy of Feminine Grace and Charm
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 10:49 PM   #1057
country flag PetraReeMona

PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
....And this re-states why Graf was better than Serena...which Richard and SW both concede: Even when it became monotonous at times for her to beat opponents down during her dominant stretches,she still had the mental strength and focus to maintain that pace week after week...NOT just in Slams.It might be unfair to ask that much toughness from Petra,but it at least gives her a good model for how she should carry herself as an elite player...especially when she reaches #1
So did Navratilova .... surely Petra must look up to her?
PetraReeMona is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 10:52 PM   #1058
country flag 18majors

18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future

Petra will be Petra, she will be the best she can be.
18majors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 12:37 AM   #1059
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So did Navratilova .... surely Petra must look up to her?
I was going to say the same.

Martina developed the mental toughness and tunnel vision, though she certainly didn't start out that way.

Hopefully, Petra will get it herself, rather shortly?
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 02:17 AM   #1060
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Let me apologize to any Czech posters who thought that I was trying to put Graf on a pedestal above Navratilova;that wasn't my intention AT ALL.It was simply a direct link between the most well-known part-timer,Serena,and her best contemporary.Steffi retired early on in SW's first top years,whereas Martina was only an occasional Dubs player at that point,so it seemed more logical to me to compare SW to the former and not the latter.I wasn't trying to say that Steffi was better than Martina so I'm sorry if you Czechs were offended,under false assumption,by the post.

Obviously,Petra has made it known how much she respects and admires Martina and,accordingly,it's more likely that she would follow her countrywoman as a role model...though,as even Navrat has said,Petra will/should want to cut her own path in many respects

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Opening Soon: The Allaster-Stubbs-Amanmuradova Academy of Feminine Grace and Charm
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 07:54 AM   #1061
country flag Losing Streak
Only Pova that matters~

Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Plus, she's only 21, she's got plenty of time to perfect her game. When you have so much potential like she does, your game takes generally more time to mature and to peak because you need to learn how to temper it and make the good choices at the good time. But it's for the best after. And I do trust in her team, I think she's surrounded by good people.

Kichenoks Sasnovich Kremen Pervak Kovinic Bencic Vekic Diyas Bellis Svitolina Cirstea Mladenovic Garcia Pavlovic Rezai Jovanovski Mitu Savic Savinykh Evtimova Tomova Kalashnikova
Losing Streak is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #1062
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Let me apologize to any Czech posters who thought that I was trying to put Graf on a pedestal above Navratilova
No need to apologize at all, because like in the case of Navratilova or Hingis, many of Steffi's achievements can be considered as the success of Czech tennis. During her best years (including the Golden Slam year), she was coached by Pavel Složil, a former top Czech player, who took over the job from Steffi's father.

"Složil served as Steffi Graf's coach from mid-1986 until the end of 1991. Shortly after the start of his tenure as Graf's coach, she had her Grand Slam breakthrough year in 1987, winning six tournaments and then defeating Martina Navratilova in the French Open.

The next year, Graf achieved a calendar year's Grand Slam, a feat performed only twice before. She also won the 1988 Olympics singles and the Wimbledon Ladies doubles that same year.

From 1987 through 1991, coached by Složil, Graf won ten Grand Slam championships, competing at the Australian Open (1988-89-90), French Open (1987-88), Wimbledon (1988-89-91) and the U.S. Open (1988-89), plus numerous side tournaments"

I wouldn't mind if Petra took inspiration from both of these players.
Petronius is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 12:03 PM   #1063
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithnareva View Post
Plus, she's only 21
Petronius is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 12:20 PM   #1064
country flag Simugna Help

Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Steffi Graf was 19 when she achieved Golden Slam. However, no modern player can have Navratilova's/Graf's career trajectory and probably none ever will. It'd be cool if Petra could achieve something similar to Henin's 2006/2007 seasons.
Simugna Help is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 02:31 PM   #1065
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius View Post
No need to apologize at all, because like in the case of Navratilova or Hingis, many of Steffi's achievements can be considered as the success of Czech tennis. During her best years (including the Golden Slam year), she was coached by Pavel Složil, a former top Czech player, who took over the job from Steffi's father.

"Složil served as Steffi Graf's coach from mid-1986 until the end of 1991. Shortly after the start of his tenure as Graf's coach, she had her Grand Slam breakthrough year in 1987, winning six tournaments and then defeating Martina Navratilova in the French Open.

The next year, Graf achieved a calendar year's Grand Slam, a feat performed only twice before. She also won the 1988 Olympics singles and the Wimbledon Ladies doubles that same year.

From 1987 through 1991, coached by Složil, Graf won ten Grand Slam championships, competing at the Australian Open (1988-89-90), French Open (1987-88), Wimbledon (1988-89-91) and the U.S. Open (1988-89), plus numerous side tournaments"

I wouldn't mind if Petra took inspiration from both of these players. :drive:
Besides her game and physical attributes, I totally admire how Steffi stayed focused and persevered through out all the years, injuries, surgeries, ebbs and flows, controversies and continual competition. It was truly a marvel to witness.

She and Martina indeed, are two people to thoroughly admire for their long careers, prolonged excellence/improvement and record breaking.

Good Luck Petra. And yes, you can certainly draw inspiration from either one of them!!
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote