Petra Kvitova News and Articles - Page 67 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 16th, 2012, 09:58 PM   #991
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

@Petronius

Good article; with some interesting tidbits, and insight indeed.

The Sharapova stuff, he has communicated verbatim in the past though.

And he is right about Nike and Wilson (along with manufacturing Sharapova's image). Nike and Wilson are the basics. Plus they're large, great companies in the sport. If she was whoring a bunch of insignificant promotions, then the Presidents argument would make sense. And her manager is right again, that they do have certain responsibilities and expectations with their high rankings. Petra's no different. So nothing big there. And I agree Petra was very naive in thinking nothing would change. We all knew that wasn't the case. Lol.

As far as her health, before the tournament; that was unfortunate. Let's hope she's a little better for Miami (and the rest of the season)?

I understand this is a Czech publication, and these things would be discussed about a popular player. But there's nothing new or shocking here, as far as her health, or off the field activities.

Remember, she flew to another part of England, the night before to see a Beyonce concert, before she dusted off Wickmayer in Wimbledon last year.
Excelscior is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 16th, 2012, 10:43 PM   #992
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
@Petronius

Good article; with some interesting tidbits, and insight indeed.

The Sharapova stuff, he has communicated verbatim in the past though.

And he is right about Nike and Wilson (along with manufacturing Sharapova's image). Nike and Wilson are the basics. Plus they're large, great companies in the sport. If she was whoring a bunch of insignificant promotions, then the Presidents argument would make sense. And her manager is right again, that they do have certain responsibilities and expectations with their high rankings. Petra's no different. So nothing big there. And I agree Petra was very naive in thinking nothing would change. We all knew that wasn't the case. Lol.

As far as her health, before the tournament; that was unfortunate. Let's hope she's a little better for Miami (and the rest of the season)?

I understand this is a Czech publication, and these things would be discussed about a popular player. But there's nothing new or shocking here, as far as her health, or off the field activities.

Remember, she flew to another part of England, the night before to see a Beyonce concert, before she dusted off Wickmayer in Wimbledon last year.
I actually like this guy, he has done a lot of good for Czech tennis and he has great contacts to top politicians and businessmen in the country. This is very good for Petra and other players from his club. His hands-on experience with the careers of Hingis and Novotna (both Wimbledon champs and TOP3 players like Petra) is also a great asset and may help him avoid some mistakes in planning Petra's marketing schedule and off-court activities. He sometimes speaks too much (the Wozniacki and Sharapova stuff), but that's the way he talks to the Czech media - more candid and less diplomatic.
BTW, his agency has just scored another business success by selling out the CZ-Serbia Davis Cup match which will be held in Prague's arena for 15,000 people.

Last edited by Petronius : Mar 16th, 2012 at 11:29 PM.
Petronius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 01:13 AM   #993
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

@Petronius.

I was glad when I saw that he was the agent for Martina Hingis, and now you tell me Novotna as well. That's good.

I know he sponsors a lot of things, and can come off a little cocky, and unrehearsed with the Czech Press indeed, but it seems he has Petra's (and his other players) best interest at heart? And it certainly helps, if he used to be a player, as well.

Ironically, Tennis Channel, ESPN, etc., still can't translate what David says to Petra in Czech during matches. So I guess he's not worried about what he says to the Czech press yet. Lol

Did he (or that Billionaire) get her/them that outdoor court yet, to practice on at Prostojev?
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 02:51 AM   #994
country flag mac47

mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius View Post
She does not radiate the artificialness of Sharapova. She's natural, humble. She's somewhere between Woznaicki and Sharapova. Wozniacki is a pretty and nice girl, but tennis-wise she's a pusher. By contrast, Sharapova she's an exalted Russian who has everything calculated to the smallest detail.

However, the era of blonde Russians who have moved to America is old news in the tennis world, don't you think?
True. Their story has been created by America, but you don't know how much it cost and who was behind it. By contrast, Petra is completely natural.

This x100! One of the reasons I LOVE Petra is that she is not a horrible artificial creation like Pova, but comes across as "natural, humble."

If we look at this year so far in perspective, I think she's doing fine. Notched some very nice wins at Fed Cup over Germany, won Hopman playing two top 10 players in singles, did fine at AO and Sydney, and then had health issues at IW.

Give her a few weeks, and she'll be back. Then the jig will be up for Vika, and all will be right with the world again.
“It's not as if everything revolves around me now that I've won Wimbledon for the second time — as if I'll just sit on my ass at home and send someone to do my shopping for me.” — the lovely and humble Petra Kvitová
mac47 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 08:50 AM   #995
country flag Queen Petra Fan

Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all
Thumbs up Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

@Petronius:

Thank you very much for translating the interview with her manager.

It would seem she's in pretty good hands. He really appears to care about her and not just about the money. His approach to her career and the demands it places on her seems very realistic and balanced. I'm really happy he's applying what he learned from managing Martina Hingis in his dealings with Petra. It's just what Petra needs.

As for our Queen Petra, I think all of us had better get used to the idea of a rollercoaster future for her with corresponding results. Between the health issues, simple small town upbringing, sensitive personality, quick rise to success and the pressures and demands of being a top player, our Queen is going to have a lot to deal with in the future. And, I think it's fair to question a little bit how well equipped she is to do all of that. So far, the results have been a little mixed, but also so far, mainly successful. She's trying her best and has achieved a lot already. Let's not forget that.

But, if some of us, including myself, were hoping for a Steffi Graf like career from Petra we might just want to get more realistic about her future so we don't get ulcers and smash a few of our televisions down the road if it doesn't work out the way we imagined. IMHO it appears her future won't be a simple one of domination, freedom from injury and inconsistency, and dozens of championships. At this point, and I hope things work out differently, I'm really beginning to wonder if we will ever see some kind of longterm workmanlike consistency from her even when she's healthy again. She just seems to be mercurial and it seems her future will also probably be mercurial. It's just a gut feeling I've been having lately so don't shoot me for saying it.

But also, let me just say this: I hope everything I just said above works out differently and she does have a Graflike career. I really do. But, if she doesn't, I hope we don't see people in here bashing her and tearing her apart unfairly just because she disappointed them. She's just a sweet young lady trying to do her best in a very unforgiving, competitive, high pressure world. Let's all remember: She's not a machine. Let's love her when she makes us proud and forgive her and stay loyal when she disappoints. Then, we can be true fans in the correct sense of the word.

Stay classy Petra fans. Always have Petra's back. The best is yet to come.
Queen Petra Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 02:16 PM   #996
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Petra Fan View Post
@Petronius:

Thank you very much for translating the interview with her manager.

It would seem she's in pretty good hands. He really appears to care about her and not just about the money. His approach to her career and the demands it places on her seems very realistic and balanced. I'm really happy he's applying what he learned from managing Martina Hingis in his dealings with Petra. It's just what Petra needs.

As for our Queen Petra, I think all of us had better get used to the idea of a rollercoaster future for her with corresponding results. Between the health issues, simple small town upbringing, sensitive personality, quick rise to success and the pressures and demands of being a top player, our Queen is going to have a lot to deal with in the future. And, I think it's fair to question a little bit how well equipped she is to do all of that. So far, the results have been a little mixed, but also so far, mainly successful. She's trying her best and has achieved a lot already. Let's not forget that.

But, if some of us, including myself, were hoping for a Steffi Graf like career from Petra we might just want to get more realistic about her future so we don't get ulcers and smash a few of our televisions down the road if it doesn't work out the way we imagined. IMHO it appears her future won't be a simple one of domination, freedom from injury and inconsistency, and dozens of championships. At this point, and I hope things work out differently, I'm really beginning to wonder if we will ever see some kind of longterm workmanlike consistency from her even when she's healthy again. She just seems to be mercurial and it seems her future will also probably be mercurial. It's just a gut feeling I've been having lately so don't shoot me for saying it.

But also, let me just say this: I hope everything I just said above works out differently and she does have a Graflike career. I really do. But, if she doesn't, I hope we don't see people in here bashing her and tearing her apart unfairly just because she disappointed them. She's just a sweet young lady trying to do her best in a very unforgiving, competitive, high pressure world. Let's all remember: She's not a machine. Let's love her when she makes us proud and forgive her and stay loyal when she disappoints. Then, we can be true fans in the correct sense of the word.

Stay classy Petra fans. Always have Petra's back. The best is yet to come.
@QPF

Nice post.

But you were the one really putting pressure on her. Lol.

Here's Why?

Because she had made at least 5 semifinals in a row (not including her Fed & Hopman Cup finals), before she bowed out early at Indian Wells, for apparent injury and fitness. That's consistency. No one else had done that the past year, including Sharapova and Wozniaki, and now achieved by Vika.

Yes! There were some of us here that killed Petra for losing to McHale unmercifully. Yes there were. And there were others of us, who saw that something was wrong (health and/or fitness wise), and understood/accepted it; with no pressure or condemnation of her.

So I'm not saying your right or wrong with what your feelings and possible predictions. Not at all. It's just way too early, premature and reactionary to say those things at this point.

Let's let the year play out, before we start making definitive proclamations. And even if she did have an off year (not most unusual), it doesn't mean she couldn't come back and have a stellar one next year.

Look at Azarenka. It took her 3-4 years as a top, promising, but dissapointing (they been predicting success from her for a while) player, before she finally made her move, as the place holder/bench warmer for Petra's future crown. Stay the course.

Remember, Vika was the retirement-injury, mental Midget Queen the past several years. And look what she's doing now? Don't be fooled/have a short memory?

Let's keep that in perspective and continue to Stay the course, indeed. Petra's talent should win out.
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 04:07 PM   #997
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

Great posts, guys and I agree with everything.

BTW, check this nice photo of Petra and her manager at Davis Cup

http://sport.idnes.cz/foto.aspx?r=te...39_2520327.jpg

The manager is an 'old-school' guy. He once said he speaks very little English, doesn't have a driving license and can't send an e-mail or switch on the computer
BTW, just a selection of athletes his agency has brought to the Czech Republic over the years: Carl Lewis, Pete Sampras, Usain Bolt, Ivan Lendl, John McEnroe, Yelena Isinbayeva, Anna Kournikova, NHL teams, etc.
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 04:33 PM   #998
country flag Petronius

Quote:
Ironically, Tennis Channel, ESPN, etc., still can't translate what David says to Petra in Czech during matches. So I guess he's not worried about what he says to the Czech press yet. Lol
Do they have translators for some non-English speaking coaches/players?

Quote:
Did he (or that Billionaire) get her/them that outdoor court yet, to practice on at Prostojev?
Not yet I think. But the billionaire has just opened a brand-new clinic in Prague focusing on locomotor system (it cost about $15m). It's headed by a renowned physiotherapist who was in that recent TV show with Petra and Tomas Berdych (it's in the photo thread here). I've read that Petra visited him a few weeks ago to consult the Achilles problem. He has already helped many top Czech athletes in the past.
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 05:15 PM   #999
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius View Post
Do they have translators for some non-English speaking coaches/players?
No they usually don't. But that doesn't stop the amateur translator/announcers, for always attempting to decipher what the various coaches say to their players.

I heard one announcer, ask people on twitter to translate for them as well (though I'm not sure if I would recommend that, unless I had some reputable posters).

It would of sure helped the speculation that Lindsay Davenport, went back and forth with, and speculated with Petra against McHale (she thought she was injured or sick, but also wasn't sure if it was a Petra Siesta).

To both Lindsay and Tennis Channel's credit and detriment, they didn't even bother to show Petra talking to her coach, or try to interpret what he was saying to her. It would of sure helped though.
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #1000
country flag Petronius

Kvitova the acid test for Azarenka
Jo CarterMarch 20, 2012

Victoria Azarenka may have emerged as a surprise new world No. 1 after the Australian Open, but on Sunday the Belarusian demolished Maria Sharapova at Indian Wells to prove her new status is no fluke.

With four titles under her belt already this season, Azarenka is threatening to do to the women's game what Novak Djokovic did last season. Her record of 23 matches unbeaten in 2012 is still some way off Martina Hingis' 37-match winning start to the 1997 season, but she has stood firm where so many of her rivals have wilted.

She came within two points of defeat in her opening match against Mona Barthel at Indian Wells but after successfully navigating her way out of trouble, Azarenka has looked virtually invincible in the California desert.

She dropped just nine games in her next three matches as Svetlana Kuznetsova, Julia Goerges and Agnieszka Radwanska were swiftly dispatched. After seeing off the challenge of Angelique Kerber in the semi-finals, it was a chance for Sharapova to avenge her Australian Open defeat.

Confidence is overrated

In a rare match-up between the top two players in the world - the first in a WTA final for more than four years - Azarenka opened the gap between herself and the Russian as she cruised to a 6-2 6-3 victory.

As the cliché goes, you can only beat the person on the other side of the net, and Azarenka has done that in pretty convincing fashion. However, the acid test will come when she comes face to face with world No. 3 Petra Kvitova.

Azarenka has not beaten Kvitova since 2009, when the Czech was ranked at No. 40 in the world. Kvitova has won their last four encounters - on all three surfaces.

But the Azarenka of 2012 is an entirely different beast - just as Djokovic was in 2011 - and she is licking her lips at the prospect of cementing her status as world No. 1.

"Of course I'd love to play any of them," Azarenka said. "For me, the bigger the challenge, the more exciting it is. That's what I'm looking for."

Azarenka's talent has never been in doubt. She has the lot: speed, athleticism and power, but until this year lacked the consistency and belief.

In February last year, Azarenka suffered a complete meltdown as she crashed out at the hands of Daniela Hantuchova in Doha, slumping to a 4-6 6-1 6-2 defeat. After that loss, Azarenka admitted she briefly considered quitting the sport, but a few days back home in her native country got her head straight.

"I went home and spent three days at home just by myself and just realised a few things that I want to do with my life, how to really find that balance and to raise my level," Azarenka said. "For a second, really slight second [I considered quitting], but then my mom just kicked my ass for that."

A little over a month later and Azarenka had won back-to-back titles, in Miami and Marbella. Then came the consistency: reaching the semi-finals or better in eight tournaments last year. Fast forward to 2012 and she is a major winner and on top of the world rankings.

"Confidence is overrated," Azarenka exclaimed recently, which is surprising given how much of a factor Djokovic admitted confidence was last year.

Confidence or not, Azarenka is flying high at the moment. She may have lost her last four matches against Kvitova, but you wouldn't bet against the feisty 22-year-old having the upper hand in future encounters.

http://www.espn.co.uk/tennis/sport/story/141881.html
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 02:45 PM   #1001
country flag Excelscior

Thanks Petronius.

The one thing the article failed to mention, is that Azarenka is not playing any differently now than she did then.

The difference is, she's more consistent now to make the semis or finals more often, and she's not facing Petra while she's in them.

It's funny, ESPN UK took the time to write the article, but didn't actually analyze anything about their games, to tell you why. But at least they mentioned it. That's a start. I guessed they're bored off the faux Masha rivalry?

I don't see much difference in her play, especially lately. And I wouldn't be surprised if she took an immediate drop off/tailspin this year, when most of us least expected it.

We'll see?
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #1002
country flag Utterchaos

Utterchaos is a name known to all Utterchaos is a name known to all Utterchaos is a name known to all Utterchaos is a name known to all Utterchaos is a name known to all Utterchaos is a name known to all Utterchaos is a name known to all Utterchaos is a name known to all Utterchaos is a name known to all Utterchaos is a name known to all Utterchaos is a name known to all

Quote:

I don't see much difference in her play, especially lately. And I wouldn't be surprised if she took an immediate drop off/tailspin this year, when most of us least expected it.
Slightly better fitness, serve and FH. Also confidence, plus the fact that the rest of the tour shit their pants against her.
Utterchaos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 07:13 PM   #1003
country flag PetraReeMona

PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute

Watch the video

http://www.sonyericssonopen.com/News...-Thursday.aspx

Not good news
PetraReeMona is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #1004
country flag Excelscior

That's to be expected. But she just has to deal with it.

As she said "it is her life".

I think it's all mental with Petra at this point (besides what ever health hangover she may have from Dubai/Indian Wells).

As I stated yesterday in another post, some Europeans don't like playing in America, and vice versa; or at least it takes them time to adjust. And as I said, Petra didn't travel the world playing juniors, so this can all be new to her still, to get used to. But Petra made the 4th round of the US Open 3 years ago, in a very physical match vs then world #1 Safina, when she was much heavier, less skilled and confident. So I'm not buying this 100%. It may have nothing to do with asthma. She just needs to focus more.

Now watch her make the finals.
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 11:16 PM   #1005
country flag Petronius

Kvitova struggles with asthma in Miami
20 March 2012, 22:42

Third seed Petra Kvitova will try and play through an asthma condition, which is not improved by the famed Florida humidity, as she attempts to string two match wins together at the Miami Masters.

The reigning Wimbledon winner has been under the weather for weeks, going out in her second match at Indian Wells in the first of two Masters 1000 events this month in the United States.

The Czech, third in the world behind 23-0 world No 1 Victoria Azarenka and Maria Sharapova, said on Tuesday she will make her best effort despite her hampered physical condition, as she starts after a bye against either wild card Venus Williams or Japan's Kimiko Date-Krumm.

"I feel fine, but when I run a lot I feel the asthma and it's tough to breath," said Kvitova, who has never been past the third round in South Florida.

"But I can play even when it feels bad," said the player who has suffered from asthma for the last three years. "I use my inhaler on court. Early in a match I feel fine, but I can't really move as well and play aggressive as I like."

Kvitova has had limited success since her Australian Open semifinal where she lost to Sharapova, who was then crushed in the final by Azarenka.

"She's playing very well, she's serving solid, it's tough to win against her. But I haven't played her yet this season."

http://www.supersport.com/tennis/wta...sthma_in_Miami