Petra Kvitova News and Articles - Page 53 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 20th, 2012, 10:40 AM   #781
country flag Corswandt

Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingiskingfineon View Post
MELBOURNE—The moment had come. It was earlier than Petra Kvitova had hoped it would be, but it was going to happen at some point over the next two weeks: She was lost out there.

Kvitova was starting a third set that she hadn’t anticipated she’d be starting. She knew who her opponent, Carla Suarez Navarro, was, and she knew that she could be dangerous. Kvitova had watched her beat Venus Williams at this tournament three years ago, and realized that the Spaniard’s game—one-handed backhand, heavy topspin forehand—wasn’t what she usually faced. As Kvitova said afterward of Suarez Navarro, in her no-wasted-words way: “She can play well how she plays.”

Still, this was the second round, Suarez was unseeded, and Kvitova, like it or not, had to admit that she was the Wimbledon champ and that she was supposed to win matches like this, no matter how well her opponent was playing.

“It was strange when I was announced as one of the favorites for the tournament,” Kvitova said. “It’s a new side of my life, and I have to get used to it.

“It’s great to be ranked No. 2, but everything, it’s different," Kvitova continued. "It was easy to be No. 30 and be an outsider [underdog] in the match. I have to be fine with this now.”

As the third set started, it didn’t appear that she was fine with much of anything. As had happened many times before, Kvitova had, seemingly out of nowhere, lost her forehand. The shot had held up well early, and she had ridden it to a 6-2 first-set win. But as the second set progressed, she had begun to pull up on it, to slap at it. The results were predictably horrible. This was the flip side of Kvitova’s risky brilliance—the fall off the high wire.

In the past, Kvitova had struggled to pick herself up or find her range again once she lost it; what would happen now? When she missed another forehand to lose the first game of the third set, she had to fight off tears as she crossed to the other side of the court. When Suarez Navarro broke her with a nasty backhand angle in the next game, and Kvitova followed that with yet another forehand error, she stared toward her player box with a look of raw panic. Two points later, after yet another miss, her racquet hit the court. She was about to go down 3-0.

It was interesting to see Kvitova in comparison to Suarez Navarro. The smaller Spaniard can’t match her for pace, obviously, but she plays with more spin, safety, and feel. Watching Suarez Navarro whip over her strokes and bring them down makes it clear how unsafe Kvitova’s shots are, and what her strokes lack—a margin for error.

This time, though, Kvitova worked through her panic attack. She did it by slowing down. She did it by making first serves. She did it by forcing herself to go point by point. She did it with the most effective cure of all: desperation. Up 15-30 on Kvitova’s serve at 2-1, Suarez Navarro hit a curling forehand that landed on the sideline. Kvitova made her greatest effort of the day to get over to it. Then she hit the most important shot of the match, a clean backhand crosscourt winner that left Suarez Navarro staring. Something clicked for Kvitova with that shot, some combination of effort and ability and confidence gained from 2011. Her comeback was on.

“I made many, many, many mistakes,” Kvitova said after 6-2, 2-6, 6-4 win. “Too many. I was hectic, you know. It’s my game that I’m playing winners. The mistakes are part of my game, too. I just tried to get more shots and be in the rallies with her and play smarter. That was the key.”

What does this mean for Kvitova going forward in Australia? She said it was good to have a test.

“I know that I can fight, and I can win if I’m playing badly,” she said.

Kvitova recognizes that errors are part of her style, but that there’s no getting around that if she wants to keep hitting winners. It’s part of a larger learning process for Kvitova. She’s finding out that she can win without her best, and that she can win as the favorite. It’s a lot to learn all at once, and you could see in the shy smile that she flashed during her post-match interview that she’s still getting a handle on it all. But she’s also still the relaxed young woman she’s always been. Asked about her next match, Kvitova admitted with a grin that she had “no idea” who she was playing. (It's Maria Kirilenko, a potentially difficult opponent.)

But today was, in its panicky way, progress. It used to be that, just when you thought Kvitova would surely win her next match, she wouldn’t. No matter how much she has improved, that scenario will happen again, maybe at this tournament. She's always going to be high-risk.

This afternoon, though, Kvitova turned the conventional wisdom about her around. Just when you thought she was going to lose, she won.
I.e. I was already dancing over her grave, but then, annoyingly, she turned the match around.

Tignor damning Kvitova with false praise. What else is new.

Eu Jogo Ténis

Prokofiev + Son Goku = pwnage
Corswandt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 21st, 2012, 07:31 PM   #782
country flag Apoleb

Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute Apoleb has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that was very nicely written though. (for some random tennis article)
Apoleb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2012, 09:30 PM   #783
country flag mac47

mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Tignor was damning Petra with faint praise. He's simply noting that she has a tendency to go mentally AWOL or have huge drops of form in the middle of matches. And that's actually true, because if it didn't happen, it's hard to see who she would ever lose matches to.

And he's right that she plays a high risk game.

I thought the stuff about her "shy smile" was indicative of a genuine liking for her, actually.
“It's not as if everything revolves around me now that I've won Wimbledon for the second time — as if I'll just sit on my ass at home and send someone to do my shopping for me.” — the lovely and humble Petra Kvitová
mac47 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2012, 09:53 PM   #784
country flag Corswandt

Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac47 View Post
I don't think Tignor was damning Petra with faint praise. He's simply noting that she has a tendency to go mentally AWOL or have huge drops of form in the middle of matches. And that's actually true, because if it didn't happen, it's hard to see who she would ever lose matches to.

And he's right that she plays a high risk game.

I thought the stuff about her "shy smile" was indicative of a genuine liking for her, actually.
I see no signs of enthusiasm about Kvitova from Tignor. Never saw any, in fact. He's just waiting for her to flop so that he can bash her.

Eu Jogo Ténis

Old Jan 21st, 2012, 10:43 PM   #785
country flag mac47

mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, maybe. But there's nothing snide yet, is there?
“It's not as if everything revolves around me now that I've won Wimbledon for the second time — as if I'll just sit on my ass at home and send someone to do my shopping for me.” — the lovely and humble Petra Kvitová
mac47 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2012, 11:13 PM   #786
country flag Slutiana

Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoleb View Post
I thought that was very nicely written though. (for some random tennis article)
Tignor writes well, but the actual content of his writing is generally crap when he has to make informed Analysis.
Slutiana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2012, 11:31 PM   #787
country flag Corswandt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slutiana View Post
Tignor writes well
If you can call shitty DFW pastiches good writing, that is.

Plus he's a hick, just like every other Gringo sportswriter. His stuff from that year he was sent to cover ATP Rome was often unintentionally hilarious.

Eu Jogo Ténis

Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 12:44 PM   #788
country flag vendulkabendulka

vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice

Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova has got it all: Martina Navratilova
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226251732190
vendulkabendulka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 02:39 PM   #789
country flag flyingmachine

flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vendulkabendulka View Post
Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova has got it all: Martina Navratilova
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226251732190

Smells like Kvitova spirit

Allez Forever!

Amelie Mauresmo: Wimbledon Champion 2006
flyingmachine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 08:27 PM   #790
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

Funny Aussie article:

Teen Luke Saville homes in on title glory by: Margie McDonald

IT is nerve racking enough playing for a spot in the junior final at the Australian Open but then Adelaide's Luke Saville saw Czech stars Ivan Lendl and Petra Kvitova out of the corner of his eye.

Saville, who turns 18 on Wednesday, was playing Czech 17-year-old Adam Pavlasek in the first of the boys' semi-finals on Show Court No 3 at Melbourne Park.

Pavlasek, the 10th seed, is also the boyfriend of 21-year-old Kvitova, the current Wimbledon champion. Saville was travelling well, being cheered on by a parochial crowd when Lendl, who coaches Andy Murray, and Kvitova arrived. "I saw them out there. They were a bit outnumbered but they're very intimidating," said Saville, who marched into his second successive junior final 6-3 6-4.

"It all made for a good atmosphere and experience. It'll be another experience (today)."

The South Australian, now based at Canberra's AIS on a tennis scholarship, is into his third junior slam final and meets unseeded Canadian Filip Peliwo today. He lost to another Czech Jiri Vesely last January but won Wimbledon in July.

Petronius is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 07:58 PM   #791
country flag vendulkabendulka

vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice

vendulkabendulka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #792
country flag Lufa

Lufa is a name known to all Lufa is a name known to all Lufa is a name known to all Lufa is a name known to all Lufa is a name known to all Lufa is a name known to all Lufa is a name known to all Lufa is a name known to all Lufa is a name known to all Lufa is a name known to all Lufa is a name known to all

Interview with Petra's trainer after Lisicki match
http://www.rozhlas.cz/zpravy/tenis/_...rnaju--1014010
He is seriously considering skipping Qatar-Doha, maybe more tournaments, because Petra is tired/not 100% fit/lack of quality training=not in optimal form
Lufa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #793
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats (for being a finalist), and Good luck Petra!!

The Korean Golfer (Yani Tseng) will be tough to beat.
Excelscior is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 08:49 PM   #794
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufa View Post
Interview with Petra's trainer after Lisicki match
[url]
He is seriously considering skipping Qatar-Doha, maybe more tournaments, because Petra is tired/not 100% fit/lack of quality training=not in optimal form
Are they trying to imply she ran out of gas at Sydney and the Aussie Open?

Unless she's injured, wouldn't she be better off playing her way into better shape?

The off season is over. If Petra was to take time off to condition exclusively at the start of the new season, that could set her back even more. Wouldn't it?

Plus, if Petra would concentrate on serving more consistently through out her entire matches, he may not even be having this discussion. When Petra serves well, it makes the rest of her game so much easier.

I don't believe it (unless she's injured). She has a week off, coming up now.
Excelscior is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #795
country flag Jan_S

Jan_S is a splendid one to behold Jan_S is a splendid one to behold Jan_S is a splendid one to behold Jan_S is a splendid one to behold Jan_S is a splendid one to behold Jan_S is a splendid one to behold Jan_S is a splendid one to behold Jan_S is a splendid one to behold Jan_S is a splendid one to behold Jan_S is a splendid one to behold Jan_S is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
Congrats (for being a finalist), and Good luck Petra!!

The Korean Golfer (Yani Tseng) will be tough to beat.
I think that the prize will most likely go to the captain of the japanese football (soccer) team... Anyway, since Novak Djokovic is the favourite to win the mens award, Petra has virtually no chance this year. However, I am almost sure that even better years are ahead of Petra.
Jan_S is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote