Petra Kvitova News and Articles - Page 30 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 14th, 2011, 09:57 PM   #436
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

BBC Sports/Tennis

Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova dominates WTA player awards

Page last updated at 21:20 GMT, Monday, 14 November 2011

E-mail this to a friend
Printable version

Petra Kvitova beats Maria Sharapova in straight sets

Kvitova beats Sharapova in straight sets

Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova has been named WTA player of the year.

The 21-year-old Czech began the year ranked 34 in the world before she won her maiden Grand Slam beating Maria Sharapova at Wimbledon in July.

She also won the Fed Cup and the end-of-season WTA Tour Championships, finishing the year ranked two in the world, behind only Caroline Wozniacki.

Germany's Sabine Lisicki won Comeback player of the year after she reached the semi-finals at Wimbledon.

"This season has been simply a dream," Kvitova said.
KVITOVA'S DREAM YEAR

Wins first Grand Slam at Wimbledon plus titles in Brisbane, Paris, Madrid and Linz
Wins both singles matches in Fed Cup final as Czech Republic beat Russia 3-2
Beats Victoria Azarenka to win end-of-season Tour Championships in Istanbul
Ends year at career high ranking of two

"It is an incredible honour to win the player of the year award and join the ranks of some of the best players that have ever played the sport, especially Martina Navratilova.

"I will always cherish the 2011 season and look forward to building on it."

Kvitova was also named most improved player and was further honoured with the Karen Krantzcke Sportsmanship Award, which acknowledges a player's professionalism, attitude and sense of fair play.

Her fourth prize was the fans' award for favourite breakthrough player.

Lisicki's award for comeback player of the year was due to her run to the last four at Wimbledon, winning titles in Birmingham and Dallas, and reaching a career high 15 in the world rankings.

Kveta Peschke of Czech Republic and Slovenia's Katarina Srebotnik won the award for doubles team of the year after they won six tour titles, including their first Grand Slam title at Wimbledon.

Romania's Irina-Camelia Begu won newcomer of the year after a season that saw her rise from 214 in the world to a high of 38.

I know most of us are aware of this, but I posted this article, cause it properly mentions Petra won 4 awards and not 3, as many people mistakenly think.
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 14th, 2011, 10:16 PM   #437
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

From Tennis X

Right Or Wrong? Kvitova Bumps No. 1 Wozniacki For WTA Player Of Year Award
by Staff

The WTA announced its 2011 year-end awards and the big winner was Petra Kvitova. The young Czech walked away with three awards including Player of the Year, beating out world No. 1 Caroline Wozniacki for the honor.

The second ranked Kvitova finished with six WTA titles including Wimbledon and the year-end WTA championships.

“This season has been simply a dream,” Kvitova said. “It is an incredible honor to win the Player Of The Year award and join the ranks of some of the best players that have ever played the sport, especially Martina Navratilova. I will always cherish the 2011 season and look forward to building on it.”

The award often goes to the No. 1 player but Wozniacki failed to reach a Grand Slam final opening the door for the lefty to take the honor.

Kvitova was also named Most Improved Player and she won the Karen Krantzcke Sportsmanship Award.

The top ranked doubles pairing of Kveta Peschke and Katarina Srebotnik won Doubles Team Of The Year.

Irina-Camelia Begu grabbed Newcomer Of The Year honors after a breakthrough season that saw her rise from No. 214 to No. 38.

Big serving Sabine Lisicki won Comeback Player Of The Year honors. The German won two titles and was a semifinalist at Wimbledon.

Likable Italian Francesca Schiavone won the Player Service Award, which recognizes the player who has done the most to support her fellow players through the WTA Players’ Council and other initiatives.

In the fan vote, Agnieszka Radwanska won Favorite Singles Player. Victoria Azarenka and Maria Kirilenko won Favorite Doubles Team and Kvitova was named Breakthrough player.

The WTA players also voted on Tournaments Of The Year, with the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix in Stuttgart retaining its crown as favorite Premier event. The Abierto Mexicano TELCEL in Acapulco was named favorite International event.

The winners of the annual player awards for Player of the Year, Doubles Team of the Year, Most Improved Player of the Year and Comeback Player of the Year are determined by the global tennis media, with WTA players themselves selecting Tournaments Of The Year, Sportsmanship and Player Service awards.

PLAYER AWARDS (media vote)
Player Of The Year: Petra Kvitova
Doubles Team Of The Year: Kveta Peschke & Katarina Srebotnik
Comeback Player Of The Year: Sabine Lisicki
Most Improved Player Of The Year: Petra Kvitova
Newcomer Of The Year: Irina-Camelia Begu

PLAYER AWARDS (player vote)
Player Service: Francesca Schiavone
Karen Krantzcke Sportsmanship: Petra Kvitova
Favorite Premier Tournament: Porsche Tennis Grand Prix (Stuttgart)
Favorite International Tournament: Abierto Mexicano TELCEL (Acapulco)

FAN FAVORITES (public vote)
Fan Favorite Singles Player: Agnieszka Radwanska
Fan Favorite Doubles Team: Victoria Azarenka & Maria Kirilenko
Fan Favorite Breakthrough Player: Petra Kvitova

I added this one, cause they included all the different WTA and fan awards.
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 10:39 PM   #438
country flag TimeyWimey

TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of

I still remember how Chris Bradnam introduced Petra before the Madrid final on Eurosport, he said "yes, she won Brisbane, yes, she won Paris, but THIS IS the Premier Maaaaaandatory, prize money 4.5M Dollars or 3.5M Euros", and I was like, what an unbelievable achievement if Petra could win Madrid!!! Kinda interesting

And Chris never mentioned her Madrid triumph again later this year, instead, the Wimbledon Champion, plus something like "and you can forget her other wins"
TimeyWimey is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 10:43 PM   #439
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
@Petronius

So Petra does have the support (especially being such a successful player now), if she wanted to test herself/or something on some fancy machine; that she could find something via the Czech Gov't/support system, and not have to pay for it herself?

Cause the USTA, Russia (and I'm sure other countries), have National sports and Tennis centers, where they can get tested on all types of fancy equipment, if/when they want to. I was just curious, let's say if Petra wanted to track her speed (or get faster), would she do it strictly with her coaches (and who they could hire), or is their National Support, being A Fed Cup Player, at her disposal, if she wanted?

Now that Petra's hopefully on the verge of #1, it reminds me of (and why I asked you initially Petronius), a conversation in the past, when I mentioned to someone Petra would be number one. They told me "I don't think so; cause no woman has been number one recently, who didn't come through the US Tennis system". I'm going to throw in the Russian one as well. When I thought about it, I said "Wow", He's got a point. Most of the WTA #1' (even the Central and Eastern European ones, both past and present), eventually came to or trained in the US. Today, the Soviets have their system as well, obviously.

Now if Petra could be #1, just working with her local coach and Tennis Club, and with out a interlocking National System (which I know you mentioned Petronius is present and growing), it got me to thinking, what is there/left in the great post Soviet tennis nation of the Czech Republic? Hence, my original post to you.
To be honest I don't know whether any "fancy testing equipment" is used here. Maybe if you check the English versions of the weblinks I provided there may be a detailed description of the equipment they use? I think if she wanted some "fancy machine", she would tell the club and they would think about it seriously and ask sponsors to fund the purchase; no government support though.

I really don't think they use anything remarkably special. In that CNN video on Petra, you could see her with Ivanko while she was using some standard treadmill or sth like that I think. On the other hand, I remember that one of our olympic gold medalist in cross-country skiing used a special tent simulating thin air in high altitudes. So maybe Petra could use sth to simulate humid conditions on US hardcoourts?

Nevertheless, I reckon that tennis is after all "only" a sport, no rocket science. Look e.g. at long-distance runners from Kenya. They have been dominant for a long time without growing up in a rich country having sophisticated sports facilities.

And given the fact that the CR is a relatively rich country with big tennis tradition and the facilites in the Prostějov tennis centre have been constantly improving, I think Petra and others have great conditions here to develop their skills and become No. 1.

But I have no doubt that the conditions in the U.S. are top-notch. In fact there are plans that the main tennis arena in Prague (where e.g. Hingis practiced as a little kid) will be reconstructed following the Pittsburg arena example (that I learned in that interview I gave you a link to).
Petronius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 10:56 PM   #440
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

"it is necessary to capitalize on these achievements as much as possible"

LOL, I really think he should be renamed to $$$erno$$$ek
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 11:45 PM   #441
country flag Excelscior

@Petronius.

Thanks

I think it's great that Petra and other Czech players have done so well in the present and the past. And if/when she becomes number one (and hopefully for a long while), it would prove that person that said that to me, who I can't remember, wrong!!

That room that mimics a ski environment (of that Czech skier), was exactly the type of stuff that I was talking about. Most individual players, don't own most of that stuff, but can have access to it from a National or Olympic sports center, etc.

But I agree with you. If a country has great athletes, teaching system, and tradition, they can consistently produce great athletes in a sport, even if their small and/or don't receive overwhelming (like the US and Russia) government-monetary support, fancy equipment and facilities, for their elite athletes.

But like you said, I'm sure Petra or Prostejov, could have access (or purchase through sponsors) something if they felt they really wanted or needed it.

Like most of us here, I wish Petra more success in the future and next year.
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 06:34 AM   #442
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

The dork interviewer for the WTA webpage video playlist series tried on three separate occasions to get her to reveal what plans Wilson has for her in the near future,even though she made it clear that she'd keep that a secret the first time he asked.....Maybe he thought that being only so-so in English would rob Petra of her common sense somehow

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Our Slam: Islas Marias Prison Island Open--Benito Juarez Open(red clay)--Mazatlan Open(LOTS of Mexican 'grass' AND 'sugar')--the Mexico City Open(VERY poorly attended b/c almost NO ONE can get thru the traffic)
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 09:34 AM   #443
country flag Corswandt

Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"I know that I managed to win Wimledon and Year-End Tournament of Champions. But we still have three more Grand Slams. And I am second ranked ...," suggesting that among other things, she is thinking to conquer the world throne.
Don't even dream of chasing that, Petrikova. No one can keep up with Wozniacka's hogging.

Besides, #1 isn't "the world throne". Who would have thought that a pro tennis player, of all people, would fall into the common trap of regarding rankings as if they were a league table?
Corswandt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 03:59 PM   #444
country flag Excelscior

@Petronius, etc.

My issue with Cseronek, is how Petra played that Prague Challenger right after Madrid and the Bahamas one earlier this year (where she lost, and brought her great ridicule, at least here on TF). Those were no win situations for Petra.

One can argue that Petra not playing Rome after winning Madrid could of taken her out of top form (leaving her in mid-form to lose to Li Na, where Petra had a 6-2 1st set and 3-0 3rd set lead) for the French Open, and the other challengers with the US Spring hardcourt season; Miami, Indian Wells, Doha, etc., where Petra played poorly.

I hope for Petra's sake, that Cseronek doesn't ask her to play these Challengers (which are actually events sponsored by him to make money off of), in the middle of the season again. And if he does ask, I hope that she or (more than likely) Koytza tell him "that's a bad idea".

Though Petra was well scheduled this year in many of her tournaments (due to her success), Petra could of certainly scheduled/played better for many of her outdoor hardcourt Premier 5 and Premier Mandatory tournaments, as well as the French Open. That should be one of her big goals for 2012; to improve in certain tournaments/times of the season.

I do realize Petra won a lot in the beginning of the year, and could of needed a rest/rebound/adjustment period; true. But Csersonek has got to realize that Petra is the #2 ranked player, a Grand Slam, YEC, Fed Cup Champion, therefore can't ask her to play these rinky dink tournaments anymore, for his own greed and compulsion (unless it actually benefits Petra, or doesn't harm her scheduling). She's big time now! He's gotta stop thinking selfishly small time.

We know Petra's a loyal Czech (with her Czech Manager who sponsors tennis tournaments); but no more in opportune Challengers please!!

PS: I will excuse the Prague one, if by playing Rome Petra WOULDN'T of had a week off before the French Open (though I highly doubt that would of been the situation).
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 05:28 PM   #445
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Have to agree somewhat with Corswandt's comments above;the tennis rankings are more of a general guide than they are a precise indicator of who's better than whom.Other sports don't have these issues;the NFL,pro basketball and hockey have bloggers who do their own 'power rankings',but these have no real impact on how the sports are run.Success is defined solely by who wins the titles....In that same vein,Petra was chosen POTY based on winning Wimbledon,YEC and four other championships,a couple of which were nice Premiers

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Our Slam: Islas Marias Prison Island Open--Benito Juarez Open(red clay)--Mazatlan Open(LOTS of Mexican 'grass' AND 'sugar')--the Mexico City Open(VERY poorly attended b/c almost NO ONE can get thru the traffic)
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 06:23 PM   #446
country flag TimeyWimey

TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of

Ex, you seem bit upset about Petra's (or her team's) decision to play in challengers like Prague or Bahamas, however, Prague 100K is a very decent ITF event with lots of good players, and TBH, a 100K level challenger is not so bad compared with international event

to me, i have no problem at all as long as she's happy playing there, and in fact, it's the mandatory thing that really bugs me, i do wish Petra could withdraw from IW, Miami or Beijing, Dubai, Doha if she is not feeling good, for her, playing more premiers does not mean she will get more than playing 100K or international level

she's not an all around player, and there will be ups and downs for sure, here and there, GS or not, let's not forget her early round defeat this year, and i see no sign she would overcome that next year, and she will inevitably lose in an indoor event as well

it may sound like i do not have any expectation for Petra next year, well, I do have one

If for some reason she loses an early round in some competition, just let it go and move on, if, she plays well and reaches SF or final, then win the most important match, it doesn't matter if she wins Prague or loses RG in the first round

at least to me, her ability to win the most important matches (she's 6-2 in finals and 8-1 in SFs in 2011) this year is real gift, and that's why she's year-end no 2 and no 1 in prize money (GS final is 600 points and 0.8M, equivalent of reaching the final in a Premier 5 in terms of ranking points, or winning a Premier Mandatory in terms of prize money)

Last edited by TimeyWimey : Nov 15th, 2011 at 06:31 PM.
TimeyWimey is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 07:21 PM   #447
country flag Meelis
Team WTAworld

Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute

When Petra (and her team) decided to enter Prague, she was having quite a difficult period (only one win in two months) and playing Prague over Rome did not look that bad decision at all, back then. And she obviously would not have taken Nassau wild-card, had she won any matches in Indian Wells.
Meelis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 07:21 PM   #448
country flag Petronius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corswandt View Post
Don't even dream of chasing that, Petrikova. No one can keep up with Wozniacka's hogging.

Besides, #1 isn't "the world throne". Who would have thought that a pro tennis player, of all people, would fall into the common trap of regarding rankings as if they were a league table?
I have a hunch: She doesn't like the sound of "How does the world's number 2 in women's tennis treat herself between games?"
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 07:25 PM   #449
country flag Excelscior

@Reyeszjj

Thank You for your comments. And no I'm not upset (past or present). No need to be.

This was more about Csersonek. Nonetheless, I don't think you read what I said Properly.

My potential issue with her playing Prague (Bahama's etc.), is that they're Csersonek sponsored events, which make him money. And though they're decent tournaments, is the level of competition there going to prepare her for the French Open, after winning Madrid? No one thought she should play there. Petra had to explain, "it was a local tournament I wanted to support". But what she forgot to say was, "it was a Csersonek sponsored tournament".

So don't act like it was such a normal thing for her to play Prague. Most were surprised.

Like I said, if she has proper rest, or it doesn't interfere with her other planning, then I have no problem with that stuff. I did say that. And my discussion about Csernonek came out of a discussion I had with Petronius, regarding some reservations he may of had about him. This was my response and and my own topics to his post. Maybe you didn't notice that.

As far as Petra year next year; yes I do expect her to be more consistent. Why not? I've seen her game grow right before my eyes, and I think the indoor hard court success, is easily transferable to outdoor hard courts. So I disagree with you with that one. I'm not expecting her to win every match. But (yes) I do expect improvement. And so does she. Petra has stated these goals herself (being number one, winning more majors and tournaments in 2012) recently.

And how is Petra not an all around player? Please explain that to me? As far as I can see, she has a game (and titles) that translates to all courts, and she presently has all or most of the shots she'll need for them. Don't confuse the stage she's at in her precocious career, with her all around ability. One has to catch up with the other. This year, they merged even closer.

I don't think anyone can predict what Petra's going to do, or her development with certainty next year (as you). It's up to her. But so far, she seems on the right track. We'll see?
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 07:27 PM   #450
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelis View Post
When Petra (and her team) decided to enter Prague, she was having quite a difficult period (only one win in two months) and playing Prague over Rome did not look that bad decision at all, back then. And she obviously would not have taken Nassau wild-card, had she won any matches in Indian Wells.
Meelis?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Petra play Prague after she won Madrid (and before/while Rome was coming up)?

You sure you're not confusing this with Bahamas or another tournament?

To my knowledge, Prague was the next tournament she played after she won Madrid (or close to it), so therefore where was the struggle? She had just won a Premier Mandatory.

Last edited by Excelscior : Nov 15th, 2011 at 07:33 PM.