Petra Kvitova News and Articles - Page 26 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 29th, 2011, 12:58 AM   #376
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by vendulkabendulka View Post
The article is actually very good. David seems to be nice and confident guy, just a perfect match for her.
Btw, hi everybody, I'm new here
Welcome Vendulkabendulka

We can tell your a Petra fan by your join date. What did you stalk the board (as so many of us did) for the past 4 months, before commenting or saying hello?

Welcome again.

I agree with you to. It's a excellent article that provides some nice/good insight (and a addition to some of the foundation articles I read previously in the Czech press) into Koytza and Petra.

Thanks for posting the article Paulmara
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 29th, 2011, 06:27 AM   #377
country flag Queen Petra Fan

Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all
Thumbs up Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
Welcome Vendulkabendulka

We can tell your a Petra fan by your join date. What did you stalk the board (as so many of us did) for the past 4 months, before commenting or saying hello?

Welcome again.

I agree with you to. It's a excellent article that provides some nice/good insight (and a addition to some of the foundation articles I read previously in the Czech press) into Koytza and Petra.

Thanks for posting the article Paulmara

PaulMara is definitely one of the MVPs of this forum. Thanks for your contributions PM.
Queen Petra Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2011, 08:39 AM   #378
country flag paulmara

paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute

15:40 and time for coaching Kotyza : I said „I will come but this game is not over yet.“ sometimes she had these errors , but this one was the best. She was laughing during the following rally and lost the point.
http://www.rozhlas.cz/zpravy/tenis/_...kotyza--968602

Petra: „She has great service, it is little similar to men´s tennis.“

http://www.sport.cz/clanek/193305-kv...sky-tenis.html
http://sport.idnes.cz/zmatena-semifi...00855_tenis_ma
paulmara is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2011, 09:33 PM   #379
country flag VeraAlex

VeraAlex is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello!

Does anybody know under which management Petra works? IMG, Octagon or something/someone else?
VeraAlex is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #380
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

@VeraAlex

A Czech named Milos Csersonak (I think that's his first name)?

He's quoted in articles we have posted here on the site.

To my knowledge, he's not with one of the major Agent, Management firms.

He's a Czech Kingpin.

Hope that helps.
Old Oct 30th, 2011, 11:33 AM   #381
country flag paulmara

paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute

Miroslav Černošek

TK PLUS

http://www.tkplus.cz/o-spolecnosti.php
paulmara is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2011, 07:19 PM   #382
country flag TimeyWimey

TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of

From Brisbane to Istanbul, We’re Still Getting to Know Petra Kvitova.

Quote:
Before the WTA Championships started this week in Istanbul, a lot of attention was focused on Petra Kvitova, and not just because she was considered the pre-tourney favorite based on her impressive record playing indoors, including just winning the title in Linz, but also because simply she was back in the public eye in a big way after winning the Wimbledon title but then almost dropping out of sight completely during the rest of the summer, including an inexplicable first round loss in New York.

Kvitova proved that she deserved all of the hype as she closed out Victoria Azarenka in yesterday’s final 7-5, 4-6, 6-3 in a victory that resembled many of her other wins this year – flashes of brilliant shotmaking woven in with patches of numerous errors. Kvitova ends the year at No.2 which, though truly deserved, is still stunning in a way since she started the year as a player to watch for sure, but one few would have tipped to be crowned player of the year.

Now with Kvitova only a few hundred points away from claiming No.1, something she is expected to do sometime by spring of next year, what’s even more fascinating to me is that there’s still a bit of the unknown with Kvitova. Perhaps it’s because even as a junior player, few were unsure she would ever become a factor on the pro tour which makes her sudden rise up the rankings more surprising. Or that she still has a bit of an ingénue like aura about her, despite her being a tad old for the description at age 21. At first, her rather cursory answers to questions were attributed to her being shy and still getting command of English. But now reporters that attend her pressers on a frequent basis don’t find that to be the case at all and instead view Kvitova as a charming girl who often laughs when she gives answers, though her responses are still short and sweet. No world-weary answers to the “same old questions” that we often get from other players Kvitova’s age or younger.

Calling Kvitova innocent would be naïve, but another word comes to mind when watching her reactions throughout the year to winning big titles this year, including the biggest one of them all – pure. Pure joy and pure emotion. It’s been refreshing for sure and one can hope that Kvitova doesn’t have to create too big a shell to protect her personal life from her professional one. Kvitova’s personality aside, the lanky Czech will get more scrutiny as she strives for even more glory in 2012. Probably the biggest will be for her screeching out “Podj” especially after an opponent misses a shot, something that drew the ire of plenty of fans watching and listening to yesterday’s final. “Does she really have to do that,” was a standard line on Twitter yesterday, which means Kvitova’s name will be added to the list of players involved in the growing “Grunt-gate” problem that the WTA so far has decided to acknowledge but do little about. Then there’s Kvitova’s relationship with her boyfriend who is four years her junior, something perfectly legal in her home country but still raises eyebrows for some. Kvitova said back in July in an interview with AFP that she was “sad and astonished” at the number of questions she’s received about herself and her personal life, but when you start bringing in paychecks of over a million dollars on a regular basis, as Kvitova did yesterday, you gain more attention than you wish for, something that will only increase if she becomes and stays No. 1.

Is Kvitova really ready for all that? Maybe. She can certainly get better at dealing with all the media attention being a world-class tennis player brings though she still doesn’t have Maria Sharapova’s smooth savvy that was part of her personality early on and isn’t like Caroline Wozniacki who, though relishing being No. 1, has also learned to dish out barbs (polite ones mind you) with the best of them when handling the continuing criticism from the media on her playing record. Kvitova now has the credentials Wozniacki still lacks in being considered a “legit” No.1, but she might end up trailing the Dane in terms of the number endorsement deals thrown her way. How the WTA decides to promote Kvitova if she reaches No. 1 on the tennis court but can’t break through as a bigger star in the overall sports and media marketplace as Wozniacki, Sharapova, and other former No. 1’s like Ana Ivanovic and Serena Williams have done will be interesting to watch.

When the 2011 WTA season started way back in January down in Australia, the overwhelming complaint leveled at the women’s game was, for a variety of reasons, the lack of a one dominate player for the other players to aim for and the rest of the sport to focus on as being the best of their peers. Now at the end of an unpredictable year, it’s a young girl from Fulnek who’s become, if not a dominating force on tour, then at least proved she’s a player the very elite will have to reckon with not only next year but for a long time. If Kvitova reaches the top ranking, she could be the first No. 1 in a long time to let her tennis do the talking and leave it that. No ad campaigns, no social media shoutouts, no talk show appearances, no T.V. commercials. Just tennis.

How high concept is that?
TimeyWimey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2011, 03:11 AM   #383
country flag ExtremespeedX

ExtremespeedX is a splendid one to behold ExtremespeedX is a splendid one to behold ExtremespeedX is a splendid one to behold ExtremespeedX is a splendid one to behold ExtremespeedX is a splendid one to behold ExtremespeedX is a splendid one to behold ExtremespeedX is a splendid one to behold ExtremespeedX is a splendid one to behold ExtremespeedX is a splendid one to behold ExtremespeedX is a splendid one to behold ExtremespeedX is a splendid one to behold

People complaining about Petra's "Pojds" As if Pushniacki, Serena or Sharapova don't "come on" on errors during important points At least she doesn't screech like a tortured animal during the points.
ExtremespeedX is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 12:06 PM   #384
country flag Meelis
Team WTAworld

Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute

Reputation lessons for women from Petra Kvitová

by Cristina Muntean

Watching tennis on a TV screen didn’t tell me much until this weekend. My home country Romania is a football passionate and except for the rarer and rarer outbursts of happiness for our gymnasts, there aren’t many sports that bring Romanians in front of the TV.
However, over the weekend I got stuck watching Petra Kvitová winning the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) Championship. From a communicator’s perspective, Petra has an impressive story to tell that can embed lessons for even the most skillful female CEOs.
She is turning 22 next March. Currently, she’s No. 2 in world rankings of female tennis players. On Sunday (Oct. 30) she won a pretty tough yet well-deserved victory in Istanbul, Turkey, in the finals of the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) Championship.
This year, Kvitová has won six titles, the same number as No. 1 Caroline Wozniacki and twice as many as her counterpart, the Belarusian Victoria Azarenka. For a victory-led player, the next step would be natural: to become number one as soon as possible.
Yet Kvitová employs her usual cold blood and modesty to say that’s a matter for the future. “For the moment I don’t trouble my mind too much with it,” she said.
How can this relaxed behavior inspire the competition-driven women CEOs that take more and more seats in the Olympus of corporate management in the Czech Republic and elsewhere? There are a few things that women can learn from Kvitová the champion.
  1. Hard work. Kvitová has been training long years, first with her father, then in a professional environment. No rewards come easily, and Petra, inspired by her model, the Czechoslovak tennis player Martina Navrátilová, pursued in her training work in order to achieve the highest ranks in her discipline.
  2. Focus. Seeing Kvitová playing is a show in itself. Her eyes are focused on the moves of her counterpart. Her body is tensed, ready, one with the racket. This is what makes her play so powerful. She is also aware of her advantages like her left-hand service and knows how to make best use of them.
  3. Emotion management and balance. Kvitová features emotions that she knows how to keep under control. You can’t say she’s emotionless when you hear her shouts, but she is also not totally emotion-driven. It’s easy to imagine her in a position of top control when you see her service. Emotion management is one tough lesson for many women managers who mix personal gut feelings with professional priorities in a total confusion for everyone.
  4. Honesty. Kvitová didn’t bother to hide her relationship with a boyfriend who is several years younger than she is. “He’s a man, after all,” she replied and left the matter alone. Her “lightness of being” is refreshing and reminds of Milan Kundera, whose spirit is so dear to many Czechs.
  5. Modesty. Kvitová accepts her victories and failures with no falsity. No big ego, she remains natural and enjoys the outcome of her hard work.“I didn't expect that I would be sitting here as a champion. It’s really a big step for me,” she said, quoted by The Guardian. According to the British daily, she attributes her achievements this year to improvements not only in her game, but also in fitness and mental strength. Staying healthy was the key, along with the support of her coach David Kotyza and the rest of her team.
  6. Enjoyment. If you heard her shout of victory at the end of the WTA match, you know that Kvitová knows how to enjoy her achievement. It’s a part that many women entrepreneurs or CEOs forget after a long run towards success. Knowing how to enjoy a true victory is also something that we can learn from Kvitová.
More than for female CEOs, Kvitová can become a true inspiration for a whole generation of young Czechs who live in a society where leading role models are rarer than hen’s teeth. What does she need to do in order to stay a role model?
  1. Remain natural. Money has the gift to boost egos, and big egos have been a trap for many talented sportsmen so far.
  2. Stay honest. There is nothing more beautiful that somebody who has the guts to say things the way they are.
  3. Stay focused. In a consumerist society with no real lighthouse, being focused is a most valuable asset.
  4. Become aware of her potential beyond the court.When Kvitová acknowledges the impact her image can make on young Czechs, she can do miracles with it.
  5. Communicate more. In Czech and English, in media and social media, an inspired leader can face the voice of the others. In any case, Kvitová’s story that erupted this year is far from over. The direction taken by the lessons she can teach is now fully in her hands.
Meelis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 04:48 PM   #385
country flag Excelscior

Nice read Meelis.

Thanks
Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 05:47 PM   #386
country flag Excelscior

ESPN Season Recap, Petra Kvitova Interview

When anarchy descended on the WTA
Garber By Greg Garber
ESPN.com
Archive

The 2011 WTA Grand Slam season began almost precisely as 2010 ended -- with Kim Clijsters winning a major title. She defeated Li Na in the final of the Australian Open.

"I finally feel like you can call me 'Aussie Kim' because I've won the title," Clijsters told the crowd afterward, referring to her brief engagement to beloved Down Under star Lleyton Hewitt.

It was Clijsters' third Grand Slam singles title in six tries since returning from a two-year sabbatical, and back in late January, it looked like The Establishment was positioning itself to dominate the rest of the year. After all, Serena Williams was due to return from a foot injury, and Maria Sharapova was making steady progress after undergoing career-threatening shoulder surgery.

And then anarchy -- as much as can be imagined in professional tennis -- descended on the WTA.

Li won the French Open, becoming the first Chinese woman to win a Grand Slam singles title. That wasn't completely off the menu, because Roland Garros has a way of serving up surprises. Wimbledon, though, was a spectacular chef's amuse bouche. Clijsters was absent after suffering an ankle injury when she was dancing at a wedding, and Serena -- who missed the French Open -- was in the draw after a dramatic series of health scares. Petra Kvitova, a long lefty from the Czech Republic, won her first major, beating the more experienced Victoria Azarenka and Sharapova in her last two matches. Samantha Stosur overcame another Serena chair umpire tantrum at the U.S. Open, and the fit Aussie won her first major.

The story of the season? With her title at the year-end TEB BNP Paribas WTA Championships in Istanbul, it was Kvitova. For while Li is 29 and Stosur 27, Kvitova is only 21 and promises to be a major factor for many years.

"It's really surprising," Kvitova told ESPN.com of her breakthrough. "But it's very nice to have more players in the top. It's going to be more open at the Grand Slams now."

Kvitova became only the third first-time qualifier to win in her debut, following Serena (2001) and Sharapova (2004). Kvitova took home $1.75 million and saw her ranking rise to No. 2 -- a surprising surge considering she was No. 34 when the year began. Kvitova, who is 6 feet tall and plays with both power and deft touch, has a serve that should keep her at or near the top. She was 19-0 in indoor matches this year after beating Azarenka in the Istanbul final, 7-5, 4-6, 6-3.

The win in Turkey gave Kvitova six titles in 2011, matching No. 1-ranked Caroline Wozniacki -- whom Kvitova beat in round-robin play. Moreover, Kvitova had a better win-loss record than Wozniacki, 58-13 (.817) versus 63-17 (.788).

It was only a little surprising that none of those three first-time major winners was named Wozniacki. The 21-year-old Dane has run her reign at No. 1 to 55 weeks -- six more than Clijsters, Sharapova and Venus Williams have combined for during their careers. They have won a total of 14 majors, and Wozniacki still is looking for that validating résumé item. The closest she has come is the final of the 2009 U.S. Open, in which she lost to Clijsters. This year Wozniacki was disappointing in the majors, losing to Li in the semifinals of the Australian Open, Daniela Hantuchova in the third round at Paris, Dominika Cibulkova in Wimbledon's fourth round and Serena in the semifinals of the U.S. Open.

Still, Wozniacki finished the season at No. 1. The previous two women to post back-to-back year-end No. 1s were Justine Henin (2006-07) and Lindsay Davenport (2004-05).

Like Kvitova, Shuai Peng, Sabine Lisicki, Julia Goerges and Roberta Vinci all made impressive leaps into the top 25. Will 2012 be their year in the Grand Slams?

Probably not. Oddly enough, it looks like there might be one more retro season of The Establishment. With the Olympics in London beginning in late July as the carrot, Clijsters and Serena are preparing for another campaign. Even at their relatively advanced ages (29 and 30 at the time of the Games), it would not be a stretch to see them winning the three majors not played in Paris. Maybe Azarenka, still only 22, will find the resolve to break through. Stosur, with the confidence gained in New York, is an early line favorite at Roland Garros, along with Francesca Schiavone.

"With Kim and Serena, you never know," Kvitova said. "When they come back, they will be strong. They want to win everything. They'll be tough to play against."
5 Questions With ...

Petra Kvitova-Interview

Maybe we should have seen this coming. Three years ago in Memphis, Petra Kvitova became the lowest-ranked player (No. 143) to ever beat Venus Williams. Coming into this year, she had won only a single title, but in her first tournament in Brisbane, Australia, she beat four top-35 players to win, including Nadia Petrova and Andrea Petkovic. Closing out a terrific season, she finished strong in Istanbul, going 5-0 against a loaded year-end field. Kvitova spoke with ESPN.com by telephone last week after her round-robin victory over No. 1-ranked Caroline Wozniacki.

ESPN.com: How did it feel to beat Caroline?

Petra Kvitova: Great! We are very good friends. She is very hard to play against. She gets everything back and forces me to move a lot -- too much. She had beaten me before [three of four], so this felt good today.

ESPN.com: You've gone from No. 34 in the WTA rankings to No. 2. At the beginning of the year, what goals did you set for yourself?

Kvitova: I didn't imagine that in the beginning of the year. No, really? No. 1 in the world? I wanted to go deep in the Grand Slams this year. I didn't have a goal -- or a number in front of my name. I just wanted to improve. I knew my ranking would improve if that happened.

ESPN.com: Which parts of your game improved the most?

Kvitova: I need to work on a lot of things. I have more experience now. I'm a little bit older and have been through a few seasons. I think my movement has improved a lot, but the No. 1 thing is mental. I am much better this way now.

ESPN.com: It's been nearly four months since you won at Wimbledon. How has that memory stayed with you?

Kvitova: At first, it didn't seem real. It was totally weird for me. But now, I'm OK. When I look at the pictures or videos, it comes back. It's strange to hear my name as the Wimbledon champion.

ESPN.com: How does it sound?

Kvitova: Oh … it sounds really cool, doesn't it?

Greg Garber is a senior writer for ESPN.com.
Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 07:46 PM   #387
country flag Excelscior

A lot of reporters have been late to the game in truly knowing all Petra's various skills, but I was happy to see John Wertheim of SI, finally did. He even admitted that commenters on his blog had pointed out some errors in his evaluation of Petra.

Kvitova the next Seles? Assessing Stacey Allaster in all-WTA Mailbag

Story Highlights
Petra Kvitova has the game; her hunger to win is what remains to be seen
CEO Stacey Allaster has made significant strides with star-drained WTA
Philadelphia, Scottsdale, Hilton Head: Exploring these vanished tournaments
PRINT EMAIL FACEBOOK
RSS SHARE
Decrease font
Enlarge font
Petra Kvitova

After a breakthrough year that saw Wimbledon and WTA Championships titles, Petra Kvitova has the game to be a top player in 2012.
Murad Sezer/Reuters

In honor of the Tour that finished its season first, let's have Ladies Night and do an all-WTA Mailbag ...

I compare Petra Kvitova 2011 with Monica Seles 1990. I think this girl is going to dominate the next two to three years.
-- Joel Castro, San Juan, Puerto Rico

• A few people said this after her surprise semifinal showing at Wimbledon, 2010. Kvitova could barely win a match the rest of the year. Many people -- myself included -- said this after her thoroughly dominating performance at Wimbledon, 2011. Ah, yes, we finally have our next star. Kvitova then all but disappeared from the rest of the summer, losing in the first round of the U.S. Open. After a successful fall, including a tear through the WTA Championships in Istanbul, Kvitova is back in favored nation category.

Kvitova definitely has the game. We've seen ample evidence of that. She pounds the ball off of both the port and starboard sides. She moves well. Her fitness is fine. Her game translates for various surfaces. As some of you convinced me, she has much more touch than you might initially think. She isn't cowed by the big stage (see: Wimbledon final, 2011). Go through the check list of "champion traits" and you're checking off most of the boxes.

The question -- and it's not unique to her -- is one of hunger. How badly does she want it? I had the good fortune of spending a day in Florida with the great Chris Evert last week and we talked about this a bit. To her, the WTA "vacuum" (her word) isn't about ability or injuries or technology. It's simply about players having the drive to win every time out, not simply here and there. "Look at the past champions," she said. "Start with Billie Jean, me, Martina, Steffi, Monica. What's the common thread? We wanted it and committed ourselves. And there's a desire and hunger. And you don't see that anymore."

Whereas Caroline Wozniacki is an overachiever who wrings what she can from her game, Kvitova is an example of a player endowed with more weapons and, ultimately, more promise. But it's up to her now. Is she satisfied with years like 2011, when she wins one Slam, loses in the first round of the next one and takes home a boatload of cash? By most accounts, it's a dream season. Or is she willing and able to say, "Dammit, ladies, I'm filling the vacuum. Sheriff Petra is in town and she's taking names. Which of you want the runner-up trophy?" OK, maybe not quite like that. But is she ready, truly, to assert herself? We shall see.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1cZxAAvyp

I am so proud of Wertheim seeing all Petra's gifts and potential, and not going by perceived stereotypes, like so many other dumb bloggers and reporters do.

"Sherrif Petra's in town taking names, which one of you wants the runner up trophy?". I love it (and Petra's earned it)! Lol

Let's hope she fulfills her promise in 2012.
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 10:17 PM   #388
country flag TimeyWimey

TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of

What Came Next
by Steve Tignor

Quote:
How you typically picture a certain player says a lot about them. I think of Novak Djokovic skidding for a backhand save. I think of Martina Navratilova on the full, flying run toward the net. I think of John McEnroe making contact with his serve, a grimace of effort across his face.

With Petra Kvitova, I start by trying not to think of the celebratory yelp—or is it a word in Czech?—that she has begun to make after each winning point. Instead, I begin by blocking that sound out and thinking of her leaning forward at the baseline, eyes wide, feet restless, impatiently waiting for her opponent to serve so she can knock the ball back down her throat. Kvitova has been compared to Navratilova because her lefty-ness and her nationality. She's been compared to Lindsay Davenport because of the aggressive heft of her shots. But seeing her ready to return, I think of Monica Seles, another lefty who lived for the chance to bash one more ball.

Fans of Kvitova's might wish that the 21-year-old Czech, who cemented her place as the WTA’s Player of the Year—official or unofficial—with her sixth title of the season in Istanbul on Sunday, weren’t quite so restless and impatient. They might wish that she wouldn’t always go for the first strike, or hit virtually every ball at full throttle. It would, if nothing else, probably make her matches a lot less time-consuming to watch, because the quality of her play wouldn’t swing quite so wildly, so often. But that return stance, and that impatience to batter the next ball, is what Kvitova is all about—sometimes for worse, mostly for better, soon for best.

Great champions from McEnroe to Nadal have been known as perfectionists—they don’t like to make a mistake. Kvitova so far has won with anti-perfectionism. She sacrifices consistency and point-construction for raw power and risky placement. She knows she can hit a winner with any shot when her feet are set, so that’s mostly what she tries to do. In one sense, if you think of the old advice, “play to your strengths,” this is a smart move.

Because what sets Kvitova apart from her peers, or at least the peers who made it to Turkey, is her ability to hit blatant winners, so why shouldn’t she try to maximize that? Kvitova’s ground strokes are also fairly flat and penetrating, rather than safely, smoothly spinny. In the future, developing a safer rally shot, one that allows her to be patient, to choose her spots to be aggressive rather than taking the first opportunity, may allow her to become a dominant No. 1. For now, though, I’ve never seen a great player with so little in-between game or neutral gear. Kvitova makes all of her shots, and then something snaps and she misses all of her shots. Yesterday she broke out of the gates and won the first five games from Victoria Azarenka; she lost the next five almost as quickly. Unlike Seles when she was dialed in and at her best, so far the price of Kvitova’s tremendous shot-making is an extremely low margin for error. What makes her great is what makes her awful.

But what makes Kvitova great is exactly what her opponent, Azarenka, lacks. I’ve speculated that as good as Vika is, as much as she’s improved both physically and mentally this year, and as much heart as she showed in making two major comebacks in the Istanbul final, she doesn't have the one thing that most Slam winners have in common—the ability to take the racquet out of her opponent’s hand. The ability, in other words, to win points outright, whether it’s with a serve or a forehand, and not rely on the other person to help out with a miss. Azarenka does have power, especially when she can step into a backhand, but her game is about moving the ball around and using her athleticism to eventually outplay an opponent in a rally. What she lacks is the killer punch from anywhere. Through the first two sets, Azarenka controlled many of the rallies, but often couldn’t convert them with a putaway. I won’t go so far as to say that she’ll never win a major, but it won’t be easy for her.

The start of the third set was a perfect nutshell example of what separates these two players. In the first game, Kvitova faced four break points—she had just lost the second set and the match appeared for a second to be slipping away from her. But she rallied on the strength of good serving and, more important, forehand winners. In the following game, it was Azarenka's turn to face a break point. Like Kvitova, she set up for a forehand into a wide-open court. Unlike Kvitova, when Azarenka let loose with it, she sent it 10 feet long. Kvitova had a one-break lead that she wouldn’t surrender.

These two players are 21 and 22, they’re ranked No. 2 and No. 3 in the world, and they fairly dominated this tournament in the absence of Serena Williams and Kim Clijsters. We’ll see what happens when the latter two elder stateswoman return, but there's a new WTA generation shaping up at the top of the rankings. While its third member, Caroline Wozniacki, held onto her No. 1 spot this week, Istanbul felt like the moment when Kvitova, who went 5-0, passed everyone else on the outside. Her winners were obviously impressive, and she showed more touch around the net than she ever has—how about that McEnroe-esque sharp-angled backhand volley winner while turning her body in the other direction? Kvitova is adding to her list of shots that very few, if any, of her opponents can match.

What I liked most, and what seemed different, was how determined she was to battle her way through the bad patches. In the final, it wasn’t Kvitova’s return or her forehand that got her to the finish line. It was that ultimate first-strike shot, the serve. On crucial points coming down the stretch, she swung it wide in the deuce court, and Azarenka had no answer for it—the racquet was essentially out of her hand. This was a more patient and tactical Kvitova than we've seen.

Next Martina, next Lindsay, next Monica, next No. 1? Next exasperatingly inconsistent talent, or next dominant champion? After watching Kvitova light up Istanbul for a week, after seeing more finesse and a champion’s finishing grit, I’d say we just want what was next from her. I'm looking forward to whatever comes after that.
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 10:38 PM   #389
country flag Excelscior

@Reyeszj

Steve's a good writer, who seems to want Petra to do well. But I always have some issues with Steve's Petra articles, cause I don't think he watches her much (or as much as he should), based off his circa 2009 evaluations and perceptions of her game.

Sometimes he just appears to be unnecessarily hard on her, or way, way off.
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 10:53 PM   #390
country flag TimeyWimey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
@Reyeszj

Steve's a good writer, who seems to want Petra to do well. But I always have some issues with Steve's Petra articles, cause I don't think he watches her much (or as much as he should), based off his circa 2009 evaluations and perceptions of her game.

Sometimes he just appears to be unnecessarily hard on her, or way, way off.
haha, i agree, usually i do not enjoy his article actually, but this one is ok