Petra Kvitova News and Articles - Page 21 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 25th, 2011, 12:42 AM   #301
country flag mac47

mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

I agree that's she's very easy to like. What's amazing to me is how manny TF members dislike her. GM has a thread asking people to list the top 10 players they'd like to see win the USO, and then list the three they most hope will NOT win it. I was astonished to see that Petra was named in the "anyone but these three" lists more than any other player. What gives? Not doing enough swimsuit shoots or pitching fits on court? Not enough moon balls for GM crowd to love her?

She's tall, blonde, good-looking, hits the hardest ball, can make winners from anywhere, and is a really nice and unassuming person. How can so many people want her not to win?
mac47 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 25th, 2011, 12:52 AM   #302
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac47 View Post
I agree that's she's very easy to like. What's amazing to me is how manny TF members dislike her. GM has a thread asking people to list the top 10 players they'd like to see win the USO, and then list the three they most hope will NOT win it. I was astonished to see that Petra was named in the "anyone but these three" lists more than any other player. What gives? Not doing enough swimsuit shoots or pitching fits on court? Not enough moon balls for GM crowd to love her?

She's tall, blonde, good-looking, hits the hardest ball, can make winners from anywhere, and is a really nice and unassuming person. How can so many people want her not to win?

Nice comments Mac47

I'll take a stab at it. Cause there afraid she's going to beat their faves. Lol. I wouldn't think about it much.

It's probably also a lot of Sharapova and Serena fans (there are a lot of them out there,you know. But it doesn't mean all Serena/Sharapova fans dislike her, but enough who want to see her lose to affect that poll), who gripe that Petra beat their fave at Wimby, or fear her as legitimate competition for majors/in the future.

Simple as that.

But I don't think it's that bad. You definitely see her in a lot of peoples sigs, after winning Wimbledon. Don't you? And you're right, people who have seen her interviewed on GM, almost always seem to like her after. Lol
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 12:58 AM   #303
country flag mac47

mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, there are lots of people who listed her as one of the ones they most want to win the USO. So it isn't that she isn't well liked. It's just that I'm really surprised to see that she's so well hated too, because I just don't see much to hate.

You must be right: they're afraid she'll beat their faves. That's about all I can see.

I like Serena too, but I can understand how people could hate her. I liked Justine, but I can understand why some people hate her. But Petra? She hasn't done anything hateable. Maybe some people can't stand her little bark after she wins points? Or judge her for dating a teenager? I'm just grasping at straws to understand what's not to like.
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 01:06 AM   #304
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

I hear Ya Mac.

Good Points Again (On Serena, Justine, etc., and "grasping at relative straws", regarding the Bark and the Boy). Lol.
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 01:15 AM   #305
country flag Excelscior

PS: Many Maria fans were not happy that Petra beat her at Wimby. My guess, is because many of them didn't follow her through out the year, or at Wimbledon, and believed some of the Masha hype for victory over her.

Just to give you an example, I had read someone on ESPN's website recently describe Petra as a "inferior player" that beat her, along with Zvonareva by a disillusioned Maria fan. And I had to chuckle to no end on the ignorance of that poster. "Boy, if they only knew", I thought to myself. Lol.

Now I'm sure the more informed, sophisticated Maria fan, wouldn't of made that comment, but some of the more reactionary, less informed, or bitters ones, would. They could be some of those voters? Lol.
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 02:10 AM   #306
country flag mac47

It really seems to me that Petra's serve and devastating ground game ought to translate well to hard courts. But apart from Brisbane and the Paris indoors, she hasn't really had much success on that surface. I wonder if it's because the wind and outdoor conditions mess with her low-margin game, and give her opponents a better chance of reaching her shots.
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 02:28 AM   #307
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac47 View Post
It really seems to me that Petra's serve and devastating ground game ought to translate well to hard courts. But apart from Brisbane and the Paris indoors, she hasn't really had much success on that surface. I wonder if it's because the wind and outdoor conditions mess with her low-margin game, and give her opponents a better chance of reaching her shots.
Well, she did make the 4th round of the US Open 2yrs ago (beating Safina). She lost to Clijsters in the third round last year. How would she had done, if she didn't run into her? And she lost in the 1/4 finals of the Australian Open, on Hard Court, to Zvonareva this year. I think that's progress. I know your talking more about championships Lol. But I'm optimistic on her continued improvement and development on hard courts this year. Right now, it seems like she's got other factors going on? But that's Petra/Tennis. Lol

Remember, up until last year, she hadn't won on grass either (even though her coach would tell you she was injured, or didn't get a chance to really play on it). So we have to be optimistic, and wait and see?

And I agree with you. Her serve, return, and ground strokes should translate to fast hard courts. And I'm sure she'll make the appropriate adjustments and win The US or Australian Open in the future. Maybe this year? I think her chances are good as any!

Let's see what happens, starting tomorrow?

Last edited by Excelscior : Aug 25th, 2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 02:41 AM   #308
country flag TimeyWimey

TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
Well she did make the 4th round of the US Open 2yrs ago (beating Safina), she lost to Clijsters in the third round last year (How would she had done, if she didn't run into her), and she lost in the 1/4 finals of the Australian this year. I think that's progress. I know your talking more about championships Lol. But I'm optimistic on her continued improvement and development on hard courts this year. Right now, it seems like she's got other factors going on? Lol

Remember, up until last year, she hadn't had a won on grass either( even though her coach would tell you she was injured, or didn't get a chance to really play on it). So we have to be optimistic, and wait and see?

And I agree with you. Her serve, return, and ground strokes should translate to fast hard courts. And I'm sure she'll make the appropriate adjustments and win The US or Australian Open in the future. Maybe this year?

Let's see what happens, starting tomorrow?
i actually think that her run this year at melbourne is pretty good, except for the QF defeat, i watched all her games broadcasted (1st vs Sally Peers, 3rd vs Sam Stosur, 4th vs Flavia Pennetta, QF vs Vera Zvonareva), her backhand cross-court is just ridiculously good (first time i've been truly wowed by a player since Justine Henin, much better than 2010), her forehand is amazingly accurate, her serve saves her lot of times when she is in trouble, and she is patient, uses slice a lot for constructing points

which, makes me more confused that all her weapons are gone in toronto and cincy

if i need vote for her top game at GS this year, i vote R4 against Flavia Pennetta at Melbourne

Last edited by TimeyWimey : Aug 25th, 2011 at 02:51 AM.
TimeyWimey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 03:38 AM   #309
country flag BikezAreForever!

BikezAreForever! is a splendid one to behold BikezAreForever! is a splendid one to behold BikezAreForever! is a splendid one to behold BikezAreForever! is a splendid one to behold BikezAreForever! is a splendid one to behold BikezAreForever! is a splendid one to behold BikezAreForever! is a splendid one to behold BikezAreForever! is a splendid one to behold BikezAreForever! is a splendid one to behold BikezAreForever! is a splendid one to behold BikezAreForever! is a splendid one to behold

There is an article in Sportovni Noviny about PK's preparation and thoughts on US Open form (http://www.sportovninoviny.cz/tenis/...-pohode/678835).

Overall, she seems to be quite positive. There is a reference that she was dealing with some issues outside tennis (??) as well, which got me worried. I do not know what she was referring to.

Quote:
Kvitova before the U.S. Open: I was a little bit troubled, but I'm cool now
New York / Prague – Even though prior to the U.S. Open Petra Kvitova, Czech tennis player, won just two matches on overseas HCs, it hasn’t added any wrinkles on her forehead. Health issues that plagued the Wimbledon winner are receding. "I hope I can show the best here" said prior to NYC grandslam.

“The transition to the HCs for me was not quite simple," she said Kvitova on her official Facebook. "It's (was) such a sequence (of events), when I had been fighting health issues. I suffered a bit, it was not very pleasant, but it is behind me now. I hope that I wont have to go through it again and that it will be better here (NYC) than in Toronto and Cincinnati," said sixth player of the world rankings, which will be, due to the absence of Belgian title defender Kim Clijsters, seeded five in the last Grand Slam of the season.

After Wimbledon Kvitova was nursing injured thigh muscle, subsequently when going out in the third round of the tournament in Cincinnati, she complained of nausea and abdominal cramps resulting from fatigue. In preparation just before the U.S. Open, she was stopped by German Andrea Petkovic in the second match, just the same as before in Toronto. Twenty-one year old Fulnek tennis player thus only slightly improved from last year's record after Wimbledon, when after the participation in the semifinal on the London’s grass had lost five in a row.

"It's definitely different, I won two matches in America before the U.S. Open, so this is great," Kvitova said while laughing it off. "I said it cannot be worse than last year, which was not. I am not making big deal out of it. For me it's obviously a little different (than last year), I am struggling with other things, not just with tennis. I'm totally cool, I am not losing sleep over it," she said.

As a Wimbledon winner she had more sponsorships and media events during the tournaments. "It's a nice diversion. Nothing that would interfere too much with my program," she said. At the tournament in Toronto, she was even preparing a breakfast pancakes for CNN filming crew. "It was pretty funny. I've never done pancakes, so I learned a new recipe," Kvitova said. She did not get any feedback on presented culinary skills though.

She has been training in New York, where the U.S. Open starts on Monday, for a week. "I love this tournament because of the atmosphere, which is really a Grand Slam one, but I haven’t sensed it yet," said Kvitova, who was away at Flushing Meadows in the fourth round in 2009.
BikezAreForever! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 04:04 AM   #310
country flag TimeyWimey

TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikezAreForever! View Post
There is an article in Sportovni Noviny about PK's preparation and thoughts on US Open form (http://www.sportovninoviny.cz/tenis/...-pohode/678835).

Overall, she seems to be quite positive. There is a reference that she was dealing with some issues outside tennis (??) as well, which got me worried. I do not know what she was referring to.
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 04:21 AM   #311
country flag TimeyWimey

http://www.facebook.com/petrakvitovaofficial
her official facebook?
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 08:08 AM   #312
country flag paulmara

paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute

Petra´s official facebook

http://www.facebook.com/petrakvitovaofficial?sk=wall

7 minutes interview from yesterday

I love google translation "The transition to the concrete for me was quite simple," she said „ was not easy „
„ My form is slowly getting better … New York for 3 weeks is enough … We are in New York from Sunday. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday regular training. Thursday free day, Friday photoshooting for Wilson plus training, Saturday kids day plus training „

On Friday official cameraman and photograph of Czech Fed Cup Pavel Lebeda is flying to New York, so we can expect photos and videos on facebook.

Facebook official launching 7/21/2011 Welcoming from the High Tatras

1 photo with Li Na and 7 photos from CNN interview

Last edited by paulmara : Aug 25th, 2011 at 09:01 AM.
paulmara is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 11:46 AM   #313
country flag zhukov97

zhukov97 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyeszjj View Post
i actually think that her run this year at melbourne is pretty good, except for the QF defeat, i watched all her games broadcasted (1st vs Sally Peers, 3rd vs Sam Stosur, 4th vs Flavia Pennetta, QF vs Vera Zvonareva), her backhand cross-court is just ridiculously good (first time i've been truly wowed by a player since Justine Henin, much better than 2010), her forehand is amazingly accurate, her serve saves her lot of times when she is in trouble, and she is patient, uses slice a lot for constructing points

which, makes me more confused that all her weapons are gone in toronto and cincy

if i need vote for her top game at GS this year, i vote R4 against Flavia Pennetta at Melbourne
If you look at men's tennis. The trend is so obvious now. Tennis now is not a sport of "hitting the balls", but is a sport of "movement". That's why a good trainer and keeping fit are so important these days. Thus, I am not surprise all her weapons are gone in Toronto and cincy, although I was still a little bit disappoint. But, I think she will be fine in USO, since she is gradually backing to the game now and keeping regular practice. Only concern is she did not play enough matches before USO. I guess if she can pass 3rd round, she will be fine.
zhukov97 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 02:11 PM   #314
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyeszjj View Post

Agreed. I was actually very proud of her Australian run as well, minus her Zvonareva loss. But we can't really be surprised by that loss, cause as good as you said Petra was in that tournament, she wasn't consistent. If I remember correctly she was down in that Penetta match, and fought back, and also made a decent amount of unforced errors at untimely moments. Now that's not a big deal overall/Per se, but when Petra is in Goat Mode (as we all know) she just steam rolls opponents, and leaves very few things to question. And that lack of confidence, experience, execution or consistency came to bite her back against Zvonareva in the 1/4 finals (and Li Na eventually in the French, as well).

She didn't play like that during Wimbledon, and hopefully she'll be the same (with a decent draw to get her feet wet) in The US Open, minus a Hurricane!

As far as her weapons being gone. Just think of Madrid? Didn't she perform terribly the stretch before (getting knocked out in the first round about 3 tournaments in a row), but she came back to win a Premier Mandatory on Clay, later (with no legitimate match play)? I'm hoping for the same type of performance/resurrection here. Lol.
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 02:22 PM   #315
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikezAreForever! View Post

It appears to me, she's speaking mainly about her illness, nausea/weakness, that she recently experienced (plus the wind in Toronto, rustiness, and Asthma, thrown in for good measure).

Now/Hopefully, those things are behind her, and that's why she appears so upbeat (besides getting the hell out of those towns, and to her beloved Grand Slam events). Lol.