Petra Kvitova News and Articles - Page 182 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 11th, 2014, 05:39 PM   #2716
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by vendulkabendulka View Post
I'm 100% sure that something like this wouldn't happen in Germany, for example.
Just read Jimmie's comment above: Boris Becker barely escaped a prison term in Germany for similar conduct so it's not that easy.

Quote from a news article:

"The judges gave him a stiff punishment, nevertheless: a two-year prison sentence, suspended for three years, a 500,000 euro (Ł315,000) fine, and the entire cost of his trial.

The former Wimbledon champion had pleaded guilty to evading about 1.7m euros tax by claiming to live in the "offshore" haven of Monte Carlo at a time when his main residence was really in Munich."

Petra has now left the one-slam wonder territory and it's obvious that some of her moves will be followed more closely than she would probably love to. Almost no-one would be talking about her now, had she lost to Mona Barthel in the second round.

C'est la vie.

P.S. It would be good for Petra if she actually does spend some time in Monte Carlo and thus her stays in CZ can be considered as 'visits' to see family, friends, etc.
Petronius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 11th, 2014, 05:43 PM   #2717
country flag *Jack*

*Jack* has much to be proud of *Jack* has much to be proud of *Jack* has much to be proud of *Jack* has much to be proud of *Jack* has much to be proud of *Jack* has much to be proud of *Jack* has much to be proud of *Jack* has much to be proud of *Jack* has much to be proud of *Jack* has much to be proud of *Jack* has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius View Post
Just read Jimmie's comment above: Boris Becker barely escaped a prison term in Germany for similar conduct so it's not that easy.

"The judges gave him a stiff punishment, nevertheless: a two-year prison sentence, suspended for three years, a 500,000 euro (Ł315,000) fine, and the entire cost of his trial.

The former Wimbledon champion had pleaded guilty to evading about 1.7m euros tax by claiming to live in the "offshore" haven of Monte Carlo at a time when his main residence was really in Munich."

Petra has now left the one-slam wonder territory and it's obvious that some of her moves will be followed more closely than she would probably love to. Almost no-one would be talking about her now, if she had lost to Venus Williams in the third round.

C'est la vie.

P.S. It would be good for Petra if she actually does spend some time in Monte Carlo and thus her stays in CZ can be considered as 'visits' to see family, friends, etc.
Fixed.
And other Czech Davis Cup and Fed Cup team members
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlsbadwanska View Post
Sometimes is very hard to be Petra's fan.
*Jack* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2014, 05:49 PM   #2718
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Petra has now left the one-slam wonder territory and it's obvious that some of her moves will be followed more closely than she would probably love to. Almost no-one would be talking about her now, had she lost to Mona Barthel in the second round.

C'est la vie.

Please!!

Though what you said is true and makes sense. Let's face it! Petra wouldn't know what to do with herself if she couldn't spend most of her off time in the Czech Republic (though she needs to figure out how, soon)!!
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2014, 06:14 PM   #2719
country flag TennisAddict84

TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
Not that I claim to know Czech tax laws and politics.

However, I think what's being said is: Petra obviously pays sales tax, etc., in the Czech Republic. What she doesn't (or wouldn't pay) is Income tax, which is why they register in Monaco.

Whether, Berdych won Wimby or not. He's the countries most visible ATP player, and I never heard a peep out of anyone, and he's been registered there for years.

As crazy as it sounds. It's this type of thing, that would make Petra not want to win another major for the next three years (until she realized Na and Azarenka did, and she flops out again to someone like Flipkens, though she was apparently became ill in that match), and decides to finally win one again. Let's hope Petra really has Martina on speed dial, and took her advice (when she interviewed her on TC) THIS TIME by ignoring the press?

Hopefully (as Petra likes to say), she's much more ready for things like this now, and let's it roll off her sleeve.
Was just thinking the same thing...really hope Petra emotionally manages her conditions better this time around
TennisAddict84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2014, 07:05 PM   #2720
country flag Jimmie48
Killer Queen

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
[/b]

Please!!

Though what you said is true and makes sense. Let's face it! Petra wouldn't know what to do with herself if she couldn't spend most of her off time in the Czech Republic (though she needs to figure out how, soon)!!
I agree. Those that are continuously calling for her to leave the Czech Republic etc. are basically asking for her to become another person.

Most if not all of her private life seems to revolve around the Czech Republic and her home town so asking her to abandon that is too much of a sacrifice. I think the only chance that would ever happen is if she was dating a guy from another country who would take her somewhere else. But even in that regard she has remained very much close to home

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2014, 07:43 PM   #2721
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
I agree. Those that are continuously calling for her to leave the Czech Republic etc. are basically asking for her to become another person.

Most if not all of her private life seems to revolve around the Czech Republic and her home town so asking her to abandon that is too much of a sacrifice. I think the only chance that would ever happen is if she was dating a guy from another country who would take her somewhere else. But even in that regard she has remained very much close to home
Thank god Petra's not scheduled to play for a while.

Not sure if you know, but that death threat phone call guy story is now on GM here at TF (I was fearful somebody would post the tax stuff there eventually). This is arguably worse (will encompass both stories).

Sooner or later, the media will find out about her tax thing (now that it's posted on GM). Hopefully, it'll blow over, and they won't ask her about it during her next tournament (though they may ask Katie her PR person).

It's this type of stuff, that could make Petra suck for next three years again (I know I'm exaggerating a bit-Lol).

I really hope she let's this roll off her sleeve now, and/or seeks counsel from Martina, Slozil, or someone experienced with champions that she can trust/been giving her advice from afar (if it truly bothers her), who doesn't have blatant financial interest with her, such as "You Know Who" and clan.

We'll see?
Old Jul 11th, 2014, 07:51 PM   #2722
country flag Excelscior

Quote:

PS: Maybe she'll leave if stuff like this keeps happening, and she thinks it's crazy (eventually pulling a Yannick Noah)!?
Old Jul 11th, 2014, 08:35 PM   #2723
country flag ArcticMoose

ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of ArcticMoose has much to be proud of

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ten...-Bouchard.html

On Monday she heads back to the Czech Republic, to supervise the construction of the house that her parents will build from scratch with a portion of her riches. Kvitova betrays few of the accoutrements of fame, even if she is understood to have traded in her Skoda Superbia for a Porsche.

“Please understand, I don’t have anything against Skodas!” she protested, lest she should be seen to impugn the jewel of the Czech automotive industry.
ArcticMoose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2014, 09:39 PM   #2724
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Tax evasion is no laughing matter
It is not tax evasion!!!

Just because some Czech TF poster - for whatever strange reason - thinks it is doesn't make it so. Just common sense, if it was , the pol would have called it that and clamored for charges. Tax evasion is basically not declaring all one's taxable income, it is different from using a tax shelter.

And wait . . I did that crazy thing and actually checked -

Quote:
Czech law mandates that taxes can be avoided if a citizen sets up residency in another country and spends more than half a year living at that location.
Old Jul 11th, 2014, 09:42 PM   #2725
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

http://radio.cz/en/section/curraffrs...naco-tax-haven

Last Saturday, the 24-year-old Petra Kvitová beat the Canadian newcomer Eugenie Bouchard in straight sets to take the Wimbledon title for the second time in her career. But the glow of that victory has been somewhat dampened following a demand by Social Democrat MP Stanislav Huml that the player, who has listed Monaco as her place of residence for the purposes of avoiding income taxes, should be stripped of her Czech citizenship.

Here is Huml explaining to Radio Impuls the Facebook comments he made that sparked off the storm:

“I think that we should all have a long and hard think about the fact that if someone leaves the Czech Republic and becomes a member of another state, then they should lose their Czech citizenship. Because I don’t know that the few percent less in taxes that she stands to pay in a country like Monaco deflects from the fact that perhaps the Czech Republic actually helped her achieve some of her success.”

Such is the populist take being heard by several left-of-centre Czech politicians. They argue that using tax shelters is essentially a slap in the face for the investment that a country such as the Czech Republic has made in one of its citizens. The Czech Republic has a 22 percent income tax rate for its wealthiest citizens – Monaco’s rate is zero. Czech law mandates that taxes can be avoided if a citizen sets up residency in another country and spends more than half a year living at that location. So should Petra Kvitová actually be playing for Monaco?

Ivo Kaderka, president of the Czech Tennis Association was quick to join a chorus of countering views coming to the players’ defence. He told reporters that Czech society was not only adept at questioning success, but was now going so far as to punish it. Others have pointed out that Kvitová serves as an ambassador for her country, and is by far not the only transgressor with regards to tax avoidance – many Czech tennis stars, including Radek Štepánek, Tomáš Berdych and Lucie Šafářová make use of tax havens as well, either based in Monte Carlo or Monaco. Indeed, Monaco has become something of a tax haven for many of the world’s tennis stars.

So is it a storm in a teacup or a major issue? I hit the streets of Prague to gauge the opinions of ordinary Czechs:

Does it bother you that Petra Kvitová doesn’t pay taxes in the Czech Republic – that she pays them in Monaco?

Man 1: “No, it does not bother me. I think that if a state has such high taxes that successful sportsperson has to move to another country, then it is the fault of the state, not the sports player.”

Man 2: “No. Because it is her business.”

Man 2: “No. Because it is her business.”

Do you think she should play for Monaco instead of representing the Czech Republic?

Man 2: “No. She plays for us, and it is up to her to decide where she wants to pay her taxes. If the taxes are high here, it is her choice to pay taxes somewhere else.”

Woman 1: “I really don’t have an opinion. I don’t care.”

Man 3: “I don’t mind.”

And you don’t think she should now play for Monaco instead?

Man 3: “No, I don’t think so. I think it is her choice.”

Woman 2: “I think it is her business and her life and her decision.”

Some people have said she is the Czech Republic has invested in her via an education, and now she is avoiding that.

Man 3: “She pays back via her tennis results, or something. She doesn’t have to just pay back with money. So I don’t have a problem with it personally.”
Old Jul 11th, 2014, 10:33 PM   #2726
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticMoose View Post
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ten...-Bouchard.html

On Monday she heads back to the Czech Republic, to supervise the construction of the house that her parents will build from scratch with a portion of her riches. Kvitova betrays few of the accoutrements of fame, even if she is understood to have traded in her Skoda Superbia for a Porsche.

“Please understand, I don’t have anything against Skodas!” she protested, lest she should be seen to impugn the jewel of the Czech automotive industry.
That Skoda "Superbia" bit is funny, because such a car doesn't exist.

The journalist probably muddled up Skoda Superb with Skoda Fabia
Old Jul 11th, 2014, 11:16 PM   #2727
country flag mac47

mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute

Especially because "Superbia" is Latin for "arrogance"!
Old Jul 11th, 2014, 11:45 PM   #2728
country flag rafaelkafka

rafaelkafka has disabled reputation

Quote:
She definitely needs to manage her health better, especially as regards asthma, breathing and immunity.

[/url]
Is she 100% now? Set a powerful player!
rafaelkafka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2014, 07:02 PM   #2729
country flag Petronius

Update on the taxgate.

Both the Czech finance minister and president have voiced their support for Petra. The president has even invited the player to the Prague Castle
Old Jul 12th, 2014, 07:45 PM   #2730
country flag *Jack*

*Jack* has much to be proud of *Jack* has much to be proud of *Jack* has much to be proud of *Jack* has much to be proud of *Jack* has much to be proud of *Jack* has much to be proud of *Jack* has much to be proud of *Jack* has much to be proud of *Jack* has much to be proud of *Jack* has much to be proud of *Jack* has much to be proud of

Quote:
Update on the taxgate.

Both the Czech finance minister and president have voiced their support for Petra. The president has even invited the player to the Prague Castle
Nice gesture, but he just tries to do the same as Huml (the populist who said that Petra should lose her citizenship) and that is draw attention to him self, no need to worship him for that.
And other Czech Davis Cup and Fed Cup team members
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlsbadwanska View Post
Sometimes is very hard to be Petra's fan.
*Jack* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote