Petra Kvitova News and Articles - Page 145 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 07:57 AM   #2161
country flag paulmara

paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticMoose View Post

It's hard to describe. Not resemble conventional squats or klikům. Petra pick them myself inventing names to remind them.
(training methods) No squats or push ups. Petra herself inventing names for them.

Quote:

PROSTĚJOV The three-hour interview the manager told Miroslav colored.
Černošek held 3 separate meetings with Petra, David and Bajza
paulmara is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 08:01 AM   #2162
country flag ArcticMoose

ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmara View Post
(training methods) No squats or push ups. Petra herself inventing names for them.

Černošek held 3 separate meetings with Petra, David and Bajza
Thank you Paul! Much Appreciated!
ArcticMoose is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 09:05 AM   #2163
country flag Queen Petra Fan

Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all
Cool Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius View Post
It seems that you are one of those fans who take all this success for granted so you fail to appreciate what these guys in a little town of 50,000 have achieved over the last 20 years and their hard work.

He's said repeatedly that Martina Hingis brought them to another level and since then they've overtaken Prague as the main center of Czech tennis.

I have big respect for Cernosek and the excellent results of his academy, even if I may not like him personally.

On a side note, the main sponsor of the Prostejov club - giant food company Agrofert - is the 3rd largest enterprise in CZ and has just acquired Lieken AG, the biggest German bread producer, from Barilla of Italy.

So the club has strong financial backing and will likely continue to produce more great players in the future, like Jiri Vesely, the world No.1 in juniors in 2011. And some credit definitely goes to Cernosek and his team for getting such a strong sponsor.

Just a few thoughts.

I think you know Petronius I'm a big fan of all things Czech and especially Czech tennis. Therefore, I must, and do greatly respect what Mr. Cernosek and others have done at Prostejov TC.

Therefore, let me explain the reason I labeled Cernosek a clown and a huckster (maybe quite unfairly) because of my perception of his total control of all things Petra and his small nation nationalistic mentality on micro-managing her career and her affairs; many times giving the impression he's trying to make Petra successful on the cheap and in a very closeted way for her benefit when it's really for his own benefit or because of his own insecurities.

Frankly, I think Petra has done great in spite of Cernosek, not because of him. I mean, what has he REALLY done for her other than provide a nice facility for her to practice at, surround her with some moderately competent personel, and snag a few modestly lucrative sponsorship contracts after her Wimbledon triumph which most any professional sports manager could have done, and maybe better?

Let's be honest, Petra's greatest triumphs came in a period where Serena was absent, Sharpie was still recovering from her shoulder surgery and Vika was still trying to find herself. Now that all of these three, the Big 3, have returned or been in form, Petra has only been able to vulture minor tournaments, and in between has been wildly erratic and until very recently, pretty damn hapless and uncompetitive when facing the big girls and many Top 20ers. Thankfully, she is at least able to abuse and win against pushers again after a very long drought against even those competitors. What can we really claim as Cernosek's contribution to this recent turnaround? The facts show he finally got around to hiring Petra an apparently decent fitness trainer, much to her benefit, after many wasted months. Why was so much time wasted when the need was so plain to see? Was that effective management?

Also, if Cernosek is the great manager you say he is, we will see him open his wallet (or more like Petra's wallet) and his mind and take the concrete steps needed to bring Petra's program to the same level as the Big 3s', even if this requires hiring a non-Czechoslovak to the team as a coach and Petra relocating to another country so she can play outdoors more (playing outdoors being a big weakness for Petra which will ultimately limit her GS potential). Right now, I get the impression Cernosek is too afraid to take these steps, and therefore he will limit Petra's chances to be dominating because he will not have helped her strengthen one of her biggest weaknesses, playing outdoors. Considering all the GSs are played outdoors, why isn't her genius manager talking about this as a future option or necessity?

If we look at all the young players on the WTA tour, nobody has more talent and a bigger opportunity to take over the women's game after Serena's abilities decline than Petra. If she ever matures between the ears, reaches a consistent level of year round fitness, tunes up her wicked game with its lethal combination of power and touch, and moves beyond her cocoon-like affinity for playing indoors, she could be one of the best of her generation.

Or not......

It would be a real shame if Petra's career ended up stunted because of short sighted management or listening to short sighted management.

Mr. Cernosek seems like a smart guy. For Petra's sake, let's hope he proves he is. Time will tell. His reputation is on Petra's racquet.

As for Andrej Babiš, the owner of Agrofert, I've always respected the man because of his strong opinions and comments about corruption which is a huge problem over here in CZ. He's about the only billionaire over here who publishes his tax return every year in a display of transparency as an example to others. He's a great sponsor for the Prostejov TC to have.
Queen Petra Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 09:42 AM   #2164
country flag vendulkabendulka

vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice

QPF, thanks you for writing this. I completely agree with every word of it.
vendulkabendulka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 10:06 AM   #2165
country flag honzaneumannn

honzaneumannn is a splendid one to behold honzaneumannn is a splendid one to behold honzaneumannn is a splendid one to behold honzaneumannn is a splendid one to behold honzaneumannn is a splendid one to behold honzaneumannn is a splendid one to behold honzaneumannn is a splendid one to behold honzaneumannn is a splendid one to behold honzaneumannn is a splendid one to behold honzaneumannn is a splendid one to behold honzaneumannn is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyFella View Post
You missing the point. He achieved great things as businessman, he can take credit for that and the fact his facilities provide great opportunities for young Czech tennis players, i don't like his attitude just as i don't like Jerry Jones stubbornness, they both over controlled greedy middle age men that wants credit for everything not just the business side but personal success of an athlete too. I don't like how he talks about Petra and other successful members of his club.
He takes it commercially which is understandable, he is a business man. If Cernosek wasnt in CZ, some things would not have happened incl. outburts of some players etc.

I neednt like his pictures where he is photographed with Usain Bolt (the higher Usain is, the smaller Cernosek looks to be in that picture..ha, ha), but Ive got to respect his entrepreneurial talent.

Plus have some additional info from Mr. Kvita strongly supporting my conviction how important this person for the Czech tennis is...
honzaneumannn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 11:03 AM   #2166
country flag Palkov

Palkov is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Petra Fan View Post
...his total control of all things Petra and his small nation nationalistic mentality on micro-managing her career and her affairs;

Frankly, I think Petra has done great in spite of Cernosek, not because of him. I mean, what has he REALLY done for her other than provide a nice facility for her to practice at, surround her with some moderately competent personel, and snag a few modestly lucrative sponsorship contracts after her Wimbledon triumph which most any professional sports manager could have done, and maybe better?

Right now, I get the impression Cernosek is too afraid to take these steps...
Thanks QPF..I could not write it better

What prevent me from respecting Cernosek is the fact that he makes an impression that he owns the players (or even worse, this is not an impression, but reality). I have never heard anybody behind eg.Vika's management to talk about her like Cernosek talks about Petra (see this 3 separate meetings with Petra & the core team). Also I doubt that Bolletieri ever talked about his "sheeps" in this manner
Palkov is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 11:11 AM   #2167
country flag ShiftyFella

ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by honzaneumannn View Post
He takes it commercially which is understandable, he is a business man. If Cernosek wasnt in CZ, some things would not have happened incl. outburts of some players etc.

I neednt like his pictures where he is photographed with Usain Bolt (the higher Usain is, the smaller Cernosek looks to be in that picture..ha, ha), but Ive got to respect his entrepreneurial talent.

Plus have some additional info from Mr. Kvita strongly supporting my conviction how important this person for the Czech tennis is...
smooth and sneaky, now i know who's left hand of Sidney. Now we need to figure out under what username Sidney is hiding
ShiftyFella is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 11:53 AM   #2168
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I think most of you guys know how I already feel about the the subject/Cernosek (just check 'Petra's team bashing thread that Petronius set up)!!

So thank you, QPF, vendulkabendulka, Palkov, and Shifty, for all your candid opinions and observations.

All of what each of you said, is so true!!

With better management, coaches, advisors, direction and practice facilities/location, who's to say that Petra couldn't have already snagged 1-3 more majors (2011 Aussie, 2011 French, 2012 French), along with her current/lone Wimbledon)? Who knows? It's not like Petra wasn't capable of winning, and/or didn't have a chance, with one better match, mental/composure or match strategy, here or there!? Right?

Some would even argue, if Petra didn't face Serena in 2010 and 2012, she could have 2 more Wimbledon's. Such is how close, while simultaneously how far Petra Kvitova is (some of the stuff that QPF was alluding to), and why/how better surrounding personnel, goal setting and even practice locations/facilities may have improved her.

Petra currently has one major. Some would argue she could/should have more (as Steve Flink of Tennis.com recently alluded to, when he discussed Petra 'blowing golden opportunities' and 'wasting her talent', in prior events). Sure, we can all talk about 'Petra maturing later'. But nothing is guaranteed in sports. You gotta take things while you can get it, and be the best you can be with the best personnel, if you have the opportunity, and can afford it (which Petra does). Time waits on no one. You have to continually or eventually improve.

And of course, Cernosek, speaks too dismissive of Petra, is self centered and takes too much credit for what she does, where she plays, and what he allegedly does for her. Agreed! Most managers are not not that controlling (because they're eminently replaceable by star players), and usually stay in the background publicly. On the other hand, Cernosek likes to give the appearance, that he's the one in control, making decisions and steering the ship, not Petra. Whether he actually is, or Petra let's him. That's weird and unprofessional!

And Shifty, you may be on to something there. I've thought and wondered some similar things myself.
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 12:00 PM   #2169
country flag ArcticMoose

ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold ArcticMoose is a splendid one to behold

The Story so far …Coach David Kotyza (aka: Huggy Bear) is joined by Physio & Kung Fu Fighter/Eastern Philosopher Christian Bajza (aka: Kung Fu Panda) in the Kvitty camp….

Further to Christian Bajza (Kung Fu Panda) giving an interview to the Czech Press : http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=25061641&postcount=2136

Lots of fights have broken out in here over Uncle Cernosek …. So thought it was an apt moment to chill-out by listening to the hit song ‘Kung Fu Fighting’ with our very own Kung Fu Panda (Christian Bajza) in it…. (remember Panda's don't like traveling either & love to sleep)

Last edited by ArcticMoose : Mar 2nd, 2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 12:38 PM   #2170
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You missing the point. He achieved great things as businessman, he can take credit for that and the fact his facilities provide great opportunities for young Czech tennis players, i don't like his attitude just as i don't like Jerry Jones stubbornness, they both over controlled greedy middle age men that wants credit for everything not just the business side but personal success of an athlete too. I don't like how he talks about Petra and other successful members of his club.
That's what I meant. You don't have to like the guy personally, but you've got to respect the results. If I had his results I wouldn't be probably much different. And last time I checked neither Petra or Tomas has publicly complained about him in any way. They have top-notch facilities, private jets, BMWs from sponsors, etc.

Just for a few seconds, forget that you are a Petra fan and try to look at things from the perspective of an investor in tennis talents. There was NO guarantee at all that Kvitty or Berdy would turn into successful money-making machines for the club.

Either of them could've said at 18, 'Sorry Mr. Cernosek I've other plans, I am finished with tennis and want to go to university'. Or either of them could have had an illness, ski or car accident, etc.

Acc. to him, the development of a top player costs about 8-10 million CZK, so he would have lost 20 million for both, i.e. one million bucks, if both Petra and Tomas completely failed.

So, of course he's afraid that someone would entice Petra or Tomas away and he's doing his best to prevent this from happening. This is about money after all, the club is not a non-profit organization.

BTW, GL to Berdy and Karo Pliskova in their finals

Last edited by Petronius : Mar 2nd, 2013 at 01:05 PM.
Petronius is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 12:53 PM   #2171
country flag *Jack*

*Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold *Jack* is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Hey Jack, to save you time - I put the words from the original article in to the google translator machine and it spewed out what is below - could you perhaps edit that for us, as some of it is very confusing and I am sure we are getting the wrong meaning from google translator....thanks..
It helped me a little, thanks and enjoy!

Quote:
I know, they could have counted how many new bimmers Petra can buy with her prize money from Dubai
You can provide us with full transcript, i'm sure non Czech speaking Petra fans would be more then interesting to know more about his persona
Good idea, I did and you can enjoy the translated article.

If only my methods would have made Petra exceptional.

Who is that Christian Bajza, a fitness trainer of the tennis player Petra Kvitova? A Kung-fu fighter, a gym owner and follower of Chinese medicine. The man, who does not like to travel and prefer to stay in the shade, has spoken for MF Dnes.
After Petra Kvitova involved a peculiar man with unusual methods last year, her life was shattered. She stopped going to the gym, trained only with the weight of her own body and she suffered enough during this. She felt as if someone had swapped her body, she was groping on the court. It seems however that bet on a change of game has worked. Kvitova won the tournament last week after half of a year.
It's also a credit of Kristian Bajza, a former kung-fu fighter, which greatly helped to raise the Top 20 to other tennis player, Lucie Safarova. He's owner of a Slovak fitness center and he focuses on Chinese medicine.[/color]
"I'm working with a different ways to exercise and care for body, something that could be called chiropractic. I started as a physiotherapist in Prostejov tennis club and I also gained a fitness preparation," he said in an interview for MF Dnes, where Kvitova was, too.
* What is the magic of your approach?
The best athletes always do something extra, something special. This is what makes them special. I use methods that are not common in Europe. I'd like to help Petra, so she would have an extra weapon, an ace in the sleeve.
* It is mainly exercises with your own body weight in practice, isn't it?
Yes. An Athlete should be less prone to injuries after them. Furthermore, many people wouldn't believe that they can be developed to be extremely difficult. You can strengthen even auxiliary and stabilizing muscles during them.
* What gives you a hard time, Petra?
When we started, I suffered during an every exercise. But I'm getting better quite rapidly. The series of sprints are still the worst for me, where I'm breathless as an asthmatic.
* What is different on work with Petra and Lucie Safarova, Kristian?
I can't compare this. The training unit should be tailored to an athlete. So it's very individual. I always observe the man at first, I recognize its nature and then customize the training.
* What interested you about Petra firstly?
I've known her and I've known that she's a fighter. But I was pleasantly surprised how she can overcome her self in practice, even if it was hard for her at start.
* What is difficult about your exercises?
It's hard to described. They don't resemble conventional squats or push-ups. Petra invents names for them herself to remind them.
* And do they help, Petra?
We focus on the parts that were weaker. So I could balance the muscles so my body would be balanced.
* You don't go to the tournament with Petra yet. When are you going for the first time?
I wanted to go to the U.S. now, but I'm sick so I'll stay home.
* You don't like to travel too much, eh?
You got it exactly.
* Do you mind flying, hotels?
The man can get used to a plane, but I just don't like to plod somewhere. I can't explain it better.
* Fortunately, Petra is honest and doesn't cheat the tasks from you. Is that right?
This is a huge advantage of our cooperation. I'm calm, I know that she'll comply all. So I can let her into the world just fine.
* What did her offer meant to you? A step in your career?
I don't care about career, but I care about some process. We humanly understood with Petra, as well as with her tennis coach David Kotyza. We are a team, I enjoy it. But yes, I must admit, it's a challenge to work with an athlete at the highest level.
* Do you have a common interest?
We share the same opinion on the rest.
* Can you clarify it, please?
There are people who prefer active rest. We rest entirely passively.
* You follow couching?
Yes! We can brutally labor, but then we can be totally lazy. Regeneration is the second part of the training.
* Did you feel sorry for Petra, when she agonized, or you knew that she will catch on?
The Change requests tax, patience. Rather, I was uncomfortable because of the hard criticism. It is unpleasant when people are unjustly attacking your friend.
* How would you defend her if you could?
Who didn't pass at least part of the journey in her shoes, shouldn't judge her. The public sees only a tiny part of the whole story. It can't imagine the stress and psychological pressure.
* Can you see a progress at the physical part?
Definitely yes. Petra's body was getting used to the new methods, but I saw that they are showing from the very beginning. I hope that now it will become increasingly more apparent and that everyone else will be able to see it.
* So what's got better?
Her culture of movement. She is more on tiptoes. She is more explosive, faster.
* You felt, Petra, initially that you are in a strange body. Is it already gone?
I managed even the longer rallies in matches with the running girls in Dubai. I don't have to play on two shots. But otherwise I don't think about it on the court. I concentrate on the game, not on running. (Coach joins) And that's it! The Fitness training is there to the player could concentrate solely on strikes and tactics on the court.
* So you have the worst time behind you? Now everything will be easier?
PK: I don't think that now I'll win wherever I come. We don't live in a fairy tale. This is not how it works in the sport. My confidence is coming back, but I'm still in the process, it won't be easy yet. KB: The result doesn't depend only on the condition. You can be the fastest, make the greatest shots, the physical training will get you far. But everyone will hit the point that you can overcome only by your head.

The patience and also the Fed cup contentment helped Kvitova to get from the crisis, claims her manager

PROSTĚJOV That is what the three-hour interviews told Miroslav Cernosek the manager. After the collapse of the tennis player Petra Kvitova at the Australian Open he invited her and her coach Kotyza and fitness trainer Bajza. "They all asked about support and peace for the work," says Cernosek.
* What do you think about it?
I came to the conclusion that I trust them and that we need to wait till Petra is going to catch on. It seems that she did.
* Were you nervous of her defeats?
Petra was losing confidence, she was unfocused on the court. I agreed with the criticism of her movement. But she still remained in the Top 10 and the tennis life has taught me to patience.
* What the loses meant financially?
Contracts with manufacturers about rackets and clothing are long term, the basic amount remains unchanged, but you lose the bonuses.
* Did it affect your companies TK Prostejov and Ceska sportovni(*)? |(*) (something like 'Czech sporty')
The supply from Petra dropped, but the suply from Tomas Berdych increased. I'm glad it compensated. And if the tennis is not on, we have other projects, the athletics or olympics.
* The Fed cup week in Ostrava apparently helped Petra. Why is that?
She's more under pressure during matches, but the previous days use to be relaxed. She usually has above standard conditions, better than on the tournaments: sparrings, rehabilitation, medical care. She trains when she need. She deserves it for attitude to the Fed Cup.
* The labored wins lifted her, right?
Yes. She hasn't been excellent against Australia yet. But the focus and patience has returned. She started hitting the balls on the lines in Doha, even the hardest shots. She has almost beaten Serena.
* Also, she moves better and she relaxed.
I agree. The decisive strikes she played also because she was there on time and she stood well to them.
*Jack* is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 01:17 PM   #2172
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac47 View Post
I've got no problems with Cernosek. He's a businessman and he talks like a businessman. I don't hear Petra or any other Czech players complaining about him.
+1
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 01:19 PM   #2173
country flag ArcticMoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jack* View Post
It helped me a little, thanks and enjoy!

Good idea, I did and you can enjoy the translated article.
Thanks for the translation *Jack*
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 01:23 PM   #2174
country flag Petronius

Quote:
Originally Posted by honzaneumannn View Post

Good points, honza. BTW, check this by far the best interview with Cernosek, both insightful and hilarious

http://sport.idnes.cz/ted-privezu-ku...5642_sporty_ot
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 02:21 PM   #2175
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

PS QPF:

I don't necessarily think Petra's weakness was outdoor hard courts per se. Remember she struggled on grass/at Wimlbedon until 2010 (she had never won on grass until that year). And she had made the 2008 French Open 4th rd and 2009 US Open 4th rd. The first tournament she won, was Hobart in 2008. And her second, was Brisbane in 2011. Both were outdoor hard courts arenas.

I think a lot of Petra's earlier Outdoor hard court performances (or lack of them), had to do with a combination of things, actually. It was Petra's poor scheduling, injuries, conditioning, mental frame work and asthma (playing in North America, outside of Europe, except Australia), along with her maturation as a both a young--competitively inexperienced, then as a top 10-type player.

I think think she's a good to very good outdoor hard court player now, and hopefully getting better. Hopefully, she does us proud the next few weeks.

Nonetheless (to your point), I think practicing at Prostojev, gave the young, relatively little traveled (as a junior) Kvitova, a sense of comfort playing indoors and in Europe--which may have affected her play else where. Plus as we discussed, it's rare, when most top tennis players, don't reside or have another home in a warm weather climate to play outdoors year round.

Speaking about Cernosek, and Petra succeeding despite him?? I think their current/prolonged mental management of Petra is wrong and indicative of amateurs vs professionals. Here's why, below.

It's clear to see, from listening to Petra's team, that her goal setting and mental management is guided by her sports psychologist. Why? Cause the ultimate goal of Kvitova's team, since 2011, was/is to keep her "relaxed", and not set or discuss specific goals (except briefly, when she was feeling very confident during 2011). This is another reason why Kotyza continues to be there (despite his apparent lack of tactical coaching ability and any confidence he should imbue in Petra vs top players). It's because he reputedly relaxes her.

The problem with a psychologist is: They'll say "this is the type of personality she has, and this is how you deal with it her".

On the other hand, a top level coach or advisor, says "okay, we see her current mindset. Now we have to transition, or get her to BUY INTO THIS (in this case setting higher goals, work ethic and expectations, currently for herself)"!

If the coaches and advisors are good, they're not going to force any immediate changes of thought onto a player. Not at all. They have to convince, or get the Player, Petra or pupil to buy in first. And that's what good coaches and advisors do. Anyone can get you to do, what you were used to/comfortable doing, and/or what you already believed. That's easy. However, Good/Great coaches actually get you to believe in doing things you never saw yourself doing, and in changing your mindset, confidence, and ultimate goals.

Petra may be able to BS her shrink and have her way. Of course she can...He or she is not a tennis player. However, Petra's not going to be able to BS Martina Nav's, Pavel Slozil or Ivan Lendl quite so easily. When Petra says "I was nervous or frightened! They'll look at her and say "I didn't see a player that was nervous or frightened. I saw a player that wasn't giving it their all. Can you tell me why, please Petra"!? ..."We can work on that!" That's the difference.

If Petra set her goals (either internally or externally) higher than that of the press or her fans: She could never worry about what people think or meeting them. Why?..Cause the Press and her fans expectations would never be as high as her own. And good players who do that, rarely get nervous before or after bad losses (think of all great champions). If anything, they're mad, and wanna go back out on the court and make up for it. They don't wallow in it (the bad, unexpected losses, criticism or expectations). It's all a mindset/approach.

Petra's current approach, allows her to wallow, which is why she's such a confidence player, and can go through so many inexplicable stretches of good, bad, up and down play and slumps. The irony of course is: The relaxed approach was supposed to prevent that.

I don't see how any great manager/business man (who shouldn't be making tennis decisions for his player in the first place ), could allow this team of misfits to guide Petra's career the past 3 years.

As it's been said: Petra currently wins despite her team, not because of them. And at this stage, it almost seems better, when Petra coaches herself.

Now, What does that say about Cernosek's, team and guidance?
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote